Author Topic: Not a hater but... (future prediction)  (Read 101795 times)

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Not a hater but... (future prediction)
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »

Now, more than ever, it's up to third-parties to seriously deliver the goods.

Third-party support is one of the bigger problems facing the Switch. It's one thing for the unbreakable Kimi Shima and co to point out that the Switch is compatible with Unity and Unreal but that doesn't count for much if developers aren't going to bring their bigger titles to the Switch. Final Fantasy XV, RE VII, Mass Effect Andromeda etc. Where are they? Even Ubi aren't supporting the Switch in the same way they did the Wii and Wii U. EA only offering the legacy edition of FIFA? They offered more support to the Wii U. Nintendo need to be aggressive with their courting of third-parties, just like Microsoft did over ten years ago with the 360.
You talk about how excited your Xbox-loving boyf is for the Switch and that is great, but what is he going to play after Breath of the Wild? Is he going to wait two months to play a three year old game like Mario Kart 8? And even if Nintendo had that third party support, the games would still run better on the Xbone (or PS 4), so why is he so excited for the Switch? So he can play on a system with a significantly smaller library that plays at a lower frame rate/resolution? Outside of first-party software, the Switch is all but redundant, just like the Wii U. Oh, and let's not forget that you have to pay a premium price for the Switch. How many of us here are wii U owners paying well in excess of $400 to play Zelda and then Mario Kart 8 a couple of months later?
The best Nintendo could do, would be if at E3 they had a huge third-party presentation featuring all the biggest publishers/developers and all the big games that are coming to Xbone/PS4 were also announced for Switch. That is the best they could hope for. To have the same as the competition with noticeably less performance. But they won't even achieve that.

Isn't that only a rumor? I thought EA (or someone within EA) rejected that notion, and it's not yet proven to be the legacy edition.

Nintendo Switch will get a “custom built” version of FIFA 18

I have a negative outlook on third party support as well, but I'm cautiously optimistic that if the Switch even sells half as well as the Wii during its first year that we will see a sudden uptick in support from western third parties. Will that mean ports of FFXV, RE7, and ME:A? I still think that's unlikely, but we should see some other titles like Madden, NBA Live, Assassins Creed, etc.

I consider those tempered expectations, but assuming that "kind of support" doesn't enthuse you I'd also like to suggest that Switch would see focused support where titles arrive first on Switch with timed exclusivity before arriving on other platforms--I'm thinking about titles like a FFVI remake where Switch would be perceived as the ideal platform and assuming it's successful they would offer it to an expanded audience (ie. Steam, PS4). That's where my hope is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:37:31 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
If the Switch is getting any sort of strong third party support, it's going to be from Japanese developers that want to reignite the console scene in Japan.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
Isn't that only a rumor? I thought EA (or someone within EA) rejected that notion, and it's not yet proven to be the legacy edition.

Nintendo Switch will get a “custom built” version of FIFA 18

I'm really hoping the fact that they're custom building it means they're going to want to recoup some of that effort and we get more than one iteration of it on the system this time. The version we got at the Wii U launch was really good, I reviewed it for the site and gave it a 9, but that was the only one the system ever got.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
Either Switch is sold out or I can walk into a store and grab one. Which is it people?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
Well, the Wii was a certified hit, and you couldn't then.

The Wii U was a certified miss, and you couldn't for a while.

The Switch has potential to be a hit with Nintendo focusing on keeping production high but still being Nintendo.

So it could go either way.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
There's a million of them!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2017, 05:25:08 PM »

The Switch has potential to be a hit with Nintendo focusing on keeping production high but still being Nintendo.

For the Wii U, we were able to pick one up in the December a few weeks before Christmas following the launch at a local Best Buy with an abundant supply. Anecdotal evidence, but I remember it was quite easy to find.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »

For the Wii U, we were able to pick one up in the December a few weeks before Christmas following the launch at a local Best Buy with an abundant supply. Anecdotal evidence, but I remember it was quite easy to find.

Same story for me. From a local Walmart. The Wii U was not hard to find in early December.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

Same story for me. From a local Walmart. The Wii U was not hard to find in early December.

Really? Wow. I don't think I got one until February?  Even then it was the last one on the shelf.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
I guess it depends on region. Around here, the Wii U launch was sold out until January. It's why I argue that the Wii U did have a successful launch, as it sold around 3 million units during those first six weeks or so. It was everything following launch that was a disaster.

As far as third-party support goes... It's been over 20 years now. They're not coming back.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
Around here, the Wii U launch was sold out until January. It's why I argue that the Wii U did have a successful launch, as it sold around 3 million units during those first six weeks or so.

Nintendo consoles will always have the added push at launch thanks to having a select die-hard following (us, I suppose.)

As far as third-party support goes... It's been over 20 years now. They're not coming back.

You could make a case for the DS and Wii having pretty strong third party support.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:03:05 PM by Miyamoto »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
Yes, but as more intelligent and better-informed individuals would argue, the DS and Wii only had shovelware, not actual support.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
Gamecube had low volume third party support, but high quality third party support.

Wii had for the first few years high volume third party support, but medium quality.

Wii U had high quality third party support, but not a high volume. It died completely after year 2.

As far as third parties go. Nintendo has a stable of support, but it isn't always AAA. Sometimes developers start off as indies and become AAA. Usually under Nintendo's wings.

Lets take Bomberman for instance. Everyone is in #FuckKonami mode. On the other hand most people are fickle masses and don't realize Bomberman is a Hudson game. Hudson is/was? a subsidiary of Konami.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:28:34 PM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
Yes, but as more intelligent and better-informed individuals would argue, the DS and Wii only had shovelware, not actual support.

That's a pretty harsh assessment.  I would say it's they only got mostly shovelware.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
The Wii barely got any of the same games as the other consoles, which is what people typically mean with the general term of "third-party support."

The DS is a handheld and is a different market than consoles. It of course didn't get the same games as consoles did.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
It had weird third party support. Capcom put like every old Resident Evil game on Wii. It even put Dead Rising on the Wii. A strange version of Dead Rising that was chainsaw oriented, and had no jump.

Most third parties should realize games that contain Zombies sell well on all systems.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
The Wii barely got any of the same games as the other consoles, which is what people typically mean with the general term of "third-party support."

The DS is a handheld and is a different market than consoles. It of course didn't get the same games as consoles did.

I'm one of those people who says the Wii got nothing but shovelware. When I say it, I mean the Wii literally got next to nothing I actually want. There were very few third party games released that I wanted.

When I look at my bookshelf, I do see that I own quite a few Wii games, but guess how many of those I want to play again. Zero. Because the jaggies hurt to look at. I'd rather play Gamecube games. Less jaggies.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »

For the Wii, most definitely. For the DS, I don't quite agree with that assessment.

Sure, there was some shovelware of some developers trying to cash-in on the Brain Age or Touch Generations brand of gaming or he Imagine series but for the most part, third parties did a pretty good job developing for the DS and created a lot of new content for it. Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, and 999 are some of the 3rd party offerings that made the DS such a worthwhile system. It is thanks to 3rd parties that established the DS line as an RPG powerhouse which has continued into the 3DS era. Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Infinite Space, and Dragon Quest IX are just some of the third party titles that delivered on the DS. There are other games where you mileage may vary when it comes to appeal but Feel The Magic, Scribblenauts, various Harvest Moon and Rune Factory titles, Cooking Mama, Touch Detective, Sonic Rush titles, or MegaMan ZX games all help give the DS a unique identity thanks to 3rd party titles.

The interesting thing about the DS is that although it did get a lot of shovelware (a platform doesn't have over 1800 games on it without a lot of them being shovelware), that shovelware has pretty much faded away or never really did much to harm the console since there was so much worthwhile content on it from Nintendo and 3rd parties unlike the Wii in which all 3rd party support was pretty much considered shovelware and 3rd parties sabotaged themselves with it all. When it comes to the DS, it shouldn't be hard for any gamer to make a list of 100 titles they'd want to own and play. Heck, if time and money were of no concern, I'd think a person could even get up to 150 - 200 games that they'd be willing to try and own. While the majority of those games may not be entries on a greatest games of all times list, they'll probably be good enough or interesting enough to warrant playing or appeal to a person's type of gaming personality.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

That's a pretty harsh assessment.  I would say it's they only got mostly shovelware.

It's a real shame that some people choose to focus on the mountains of shovelware both consoles got because there are some (and by some I mean quite a lot of) truly excellent third-party games on each system.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »
Shovelware exists on any successful platform. The PS1 and PS2 have far more of it than Nintendo's systems. And of course, in recent times we have smartphones with mounds of it, plus Steam has started to get clogged with it.

If you swap out "Wii" for "DS" in Khushrenada's statements, that's how I feel about the Wii. I currently have 215 Wii games which means a majority are third-party, and there are some more I wouldn't mind having. I'm a few games shy of 100 on DS, but there's not much more I want on it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:09 PM »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »
Hard hitting journalism right there.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »
I wear skinny jeans. My iPhone barely fits in my pocket.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd imagine skinny jeans would be a no-go.

Should be good for my chinos though.

Offline Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »
The problem I have with keeping the Switch in my pocket is that I like to keep my consoles immaculate and I don't see that happening if I put it in my pocket. I've ordered a little case thing, so i'll just keep it in there.