Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1546655 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5375 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »
I wanted to know why it was dull.
I don't think there were any pewpewboomboom as it probably was an intellectual exercise in communication. That is something that is very hard to make interesting. I very much like Sci-fi but I found 2001 Space Odyssey intensely boring.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: November 14, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »
Arrival is a fantastic movie if you like The Next Generation's Darmok.

That's all i can say about that.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: November 16, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »

That episode frustrated me partially because it is very aggravating not being able to communicate.

I don't like that episode even though it produced the desired emotional response as it did it mostly by being bad. It really dragged on and there just wasn't enough material to fill the episode. I really wanted the episode to be over with, it was like pulling teeth.

It's is very pure old school sci-fi I will give it that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:34 AM »
I heard Arrival is pretty damn good. I'll wait to watch it on the interwebs though. It doesn't seem like an IMAX film like Doctor Strange or Interstellar were.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: November 16, 2016, 03:15:15 AM »
I'm getting a contact vibe from The Arrival trailers.

I don't know if that is a good thing(I was young when Contact came out, I might actually like it now)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: November 21, 2016, 01:05:02 AM »
I managed to type out what about Arrival made me go WTF!!?

It's the ending, and it makes no sense.
short and confusing version:
It does not make sense that you can do something in the past to create a situation in the future (the meeting), but it's the situation in the future where you are told that it was what you did in the past that caused the meeting. And you were not even given the info you used in the past to cause the meeting until it was given to you at the meeting in the future so that you could go back to the present(past) and use it to as a reason to cause the meeting(in the future) at which you were given the info you used to get the meeting.

I simply can't wrap my brain around how that makes any sense at all.

longer version:

basically, to stop a nuclear attack against the aliens, Amy Adams has to call the Chinese General on his private phone.... a phone to which she nor anyone she knows, knows the number to. so she glimpses to the future, because Alien Universal language taught her that time is non-linear... but when she glimpses to the future, it's not to how she discovered the generals private number so she could call him, it to when she meets the general, after she called him, and he's happy to meet her because she called him. Now he is explaining that he only met with her because she called him on his private phone (to which he pulls out his phone and shows her the number.... yes that's how she got the number, he gave it to her after she supposedly called him on it. :/) and told him his wifes dying or last words (to which he also told her this as well in this moment... right after giving her the phone number). He states that had it not been for those 2 things, he wouldn't have ever spoken to her, nor taken her seriously. So now that he gave her what she needs to cause the meeting that they are already at, she now snaps back to the present to call the Chinese General on his private phone, tell him his wifes dying words and talk him out of attacking the aliens w/ nukes. This lead to a worldwide unification, and caused the general to be eager to meet Amy Adams in person, where he will now tell her that he only took her call because it came on his private line, that she didn't know until he shows it to her on his phone *right now*, and because she told him his wife's dying words, which he also then tells her *right now*....
WTF is this nonsense!?

But yes, this movie was also pretty dull to be quite honest. Interesting (until the ending), but dull.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:21:06 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: November 21, 2016, 01:13:54 AM »
so it is like contact, sounds like a predestination paradox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop

simple answer, when you can travel through time, regular time rules do not apply, you exist outside of time. There was a previous loop.

I used to do this strange trick with animal crossing. If you went to the GBA island and just dropped a ton of items on the island you could if i remember correctly press reset and make dupicates of the item. You never saved the game so you never lost the items.  You could then connect the gba island up and have duplicate items. I did the same thing on a minecraft server. The server would save and reset at 4am every day. If I put all the items on hand in a chest at 3:59am I would have items in my hand and in the chest.

that is how this got built.

Ok imagine this you are in 1985 and you have 1 dollar. You travel back in time to 1955 and drop this dollar off. You then alternate between future and past dropping off the dollar in the same spot. Have you duplicated the dollar? No, it's just the same dollar at different time lines. The dollar has it's own timeline. but it's not linear.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:38:04 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: November 21, 2016, 01:31:26 AM »
so it is like contact, sounds like a predestination paradox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_loop

simple answer, when you can travel through time, regular time rules do not apply, you exist outside of time. There was a previous loop.

regardless of the explanation, to me it makes no sense.
It's not like she went to the future and found something that would help her get to her point in the future easier if she used it in the past.
she was literally only where she was in the future because she had already used the information in the past that she was literally just given in the future... where she wouldn't be if she didn't already have the info in the past. There is no way she makes it to that future w/o previously knowing the info in the past that she was only given once she reached that point in the future. It seriously makes NO SENSE.

and your random example above isn't really relevant, because you placed items for yourself, and came back to get them, now having double, allowing you to build your temple.
you didn't show up down the line to an already build temple, and then were told that the temple only existed because you created it, and were handed the tools and blueprints, by the temple to build the temple that you supposedly already built...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:37:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
they are the same item though, I'm using a time travel method in the game. I existed outside the continuity of the saves, so my items were duplicated. The bricks in the temple are the same brick existing at different times.

in Majora's Mask you have the opportunity to do a lottery. In the first loop you don't know the numbers, but you are given the numbers on the third day. You then travel back in time and use the numbers to win the lottery. The money won from the lottery can be used to win future lotteries.

As far as her whole psychic premonition thing. **** if I know. I didn't watch the movie, but you explained a causual loop.

Maybe she's connected to an entity that is aware of all timelines? Like Marvel's Watcher?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: November 21, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »
In the movie time becomes non-linear once you fully embrace the universal language. So she is able to see time as it exist in every period of her life. That I am fine with. it's just the fact that she is somewhere she wouldn't be w/o the gained knowledge only given to her once she got there, but is only there because she already used that knowledge is a paradox

The Zelda example would be that you only got into the shop because you won the lotto, but you weren't given the winning numbers to said lotto until you got into the shop.... well then, How the **** did you get the money to get in the shop if you hadn't won the lotto yet because you didn't get in the shop to get the numbers? That's the paradox that doesn't make sense.
But casual loop, sure...
that fits what they were going for, they just didn't quite pull it off correctly IMO.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: November 21, 2016, 04:17:58 AM »
Someday I'm going to see this movie just so that I can later come and read all these spoilered posts.  :-[
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: November 21, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »
I haven't seen the movie and I read the spoilers, you are not missing much. The consensus so far is that the ending is a mess.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: November 21, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »

That episode frustrated me partially because it is very aggravating not being able to communicate.

I don't like that episode even though it produced the desired emotional response as it did it mostly by being bad. It really dragged on and there just wasn't enough material to fill the episode. I really wanted the episode to be over with, it was like pulling teeth.

I completely understand the aggravating part. But the strength (and the boredom) of it comes from trying to get past that. That's not very exciting to watch, admittedly.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5388 on: November 21, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
I saw Dr. Strange in IMAX 3D.  It was awesome. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »

I completely understand the aggravating part. But the strength (and the boredom) of it comes from trying to get past that. That's not very exciting to watch, admittedly.

I feel they should have removed the external threat of the beast. They should have bought in a linguists to consult on how to communicate with a culture and language that is completely foreign to you. That would have given them real material to write with instead of an empty field shouting Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra, while giving the audience a lesson in basic linguistics.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: November 23, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »

I thought that TNG episode was really boring as a kid, but have appreciated it much more as an adult.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
Someday I'm going to see this movie just so that I can later come and read all these spoilered posts.  :-[

I haven't seen the movie either, I just had no desire to watch the movie based on the trailer. I did see the movie Contact though, which the trailer reminded me a whole lot of. I read BlackNmild's spoilers and well and it seems very much in league with Contact. Not the same movie, but yeah....similar frequencies.

instead of watching Arrival or Contact watch these.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:42:18 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: November 26, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
I just got back from Moana, and OMG I loved this movie.

we almost watched it again, but there was a long line forming, and the 1st showing of the day was practically sold out, so I thought maybe another day later in it's run.

For reference, I thought Frozen was good, and I really liked Zootopia as well, but I think I liked this move the most out of those three.
I thought The Rock was ok, and I liked Moana herself, but the ocean and the chicken were quite the entertaining combo.
I personally think this movie checked ALL the boxes, and with the bonus box of NO love interest or romantic entanglement of any kind.

Disney is just owning the box office for the last few years, and if it keeps up like this, between Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, and now Lucas Film, they will continue to do so for years to come.
Disney certainly has a new golden age of animation going on right now, and I can't wait to see what they have for us next.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
Moana was FANTASTIC! Maybe the music wasn't as "singable" as with Frozen (but maybe that is a good thing...no more rounds of Let It Go causing you to pull your hair out), but it was entirely enjoyable and a well balanced film.

An the surprise thief of the show for us was Baby Moana. Freaking adorable. I wanted to adopt her.

For the rest of the film, the chicken was far more funny than I thought it would be. Glad the pig did not come along too because it could have been an overload of cute and quirky sidekicks.

I also liked how they portrayed Maui. I liked how he and Moana really played well off of each other.

If I had to chose a weak part of the film, it would be the underworld scene. And I enjoyed that part, but my nephew seemed to like that part the least. So I'll call it the weakest part.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: November 26, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
Frozen was about as singable as The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: November 27, 2016, 04:22:02 AM »
Moana was FANTASTIC! Maybe the music wasn't as "singable" as with Frozen (but maybe that is a good thing...no more rounds of Let It Go causing you to pull your hair out), but it was entirely enjoyable and a well balanced film.

An the surprise thief of the show for us was Baby Moana. Freaking adorable. I wanted to adopt her.

For the rest of the film, the chicken was far more funny than I thought it would be. Glad the pig did not come along too because it could have been an overload of cute and quirky sidekicks.

I also liked how they portrayed Maui. I liked how he and Moana really played well off of each other.

If I had to chose a weak part of the film, it would be the underworld scene. And I enjoyed that part, but my nephew seemed to like that part the least. So I'll call it the weakest part.

You are right on Baby Moana. I see that being a big selling plush toy if Disney was smart.
and now that I think about it, why doesn't some theaters have gift shops on the way out? As a parent, I think it's terrible idea for my wallet, but as someone who understands how business works... why isn't there a gift shop you are forced to walk through on your way out the theater?
Overpriced toys and collectibles with over excited kids (and adults) longing for souvenirs of their new favorite movie they just watched 5 minutes ago... it's seems so obvious, there must be a good reason why that isn't something we see.

Oh, and we both forgot to mention that this movie is absolutely GORGEOUS.
The islands, the water, the sky, and the hair. It was all so well done.

and I'm just now finding out that there was supposedly an after-credits scene. So if you go watch it, stick around for that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: November 28, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »
Damn, I need to go to work in a few hours, but I just watched The Conjuring 2....

I see why this movie got so much praise. This **** was intense in the spooky scary department and no cheap jump scares with ear piercing loud sound effects out of nowhere to startle you in place of a genuine earned scare. I can see some people legitly having nightmares, or at least not sleeping easy that night after watching.

What made it even creepier for me was that my window was open, and during some creepy mood music in the movie, there were some weird howling sounds that didn't quite sound like they were coming from the movie.... it was during a pretty intense build up scene, and I had surround sound on, but after carefully listening for that sound, I determined that it was coming from another room.... somewhere behind me. After a few seconds, I had to pause the movie to figure out what it was and where it was coming from. After walking past the bathroom, which also had a window open, it turned out to be 2 cats getting it on somewhere on that side of the house (bedroom window and bathroom window on different walls of the house). That really creeped me the **** out, which is a major compliment to this movie, as horror movies haven't gotten me worked up in YEARS, but it's still one of my favorite genres, as I want to be spooked, they all just fail at it spectacularly. This movie accomplished it. I wouldn't have freaked out at the sounds of cats fucking in the dark if it hadn't been for the mood the movie had already put me in due to it's intense build up of supernatural creepiness (with the assist of my surround sound system).

and then the once again show that Annabelle doll that was in the first movie, and got it's own spinoff. I still need to check that movie out. This just might have motivated me to do so.

So if you looking for a good supernatural horror/thriller, I think this is one you check out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: December 03, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
Oh, and we both forgot to mention that this movie is absolutely GORGEOUS.
The islands, the water, the sky, and the hair. It was all so well done.

and I'm just now finding out that there was supposedly an after-credits scene. So if you go watch it, stick around for that.

Yes, it was breathtaking, and we saw it in 3D which was a real treat. The tropical setting made for a great, colorful setting. And yes, the hair rendering is amazing. I am impressed with how far the hair tech has advanced. It looked great wet, which was a new thing for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: December 03, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »
Damn, I need to go to work in a few hours, but I just watched The Conjuring 2....
I see why this movie got so much praise.
So if you looking for a good supernatural horror/thriller, I think this is one you check out.

This is great to hear.  I loved the first one.
Not sure if I'll be able to convince my wife to watch it with me though.  She still has memories of going into labor a mere hours after watching the first one together.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:53:41 PM by sudoshuff »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
I finally watched Kubo and the Two Strings. It was a fun, straight forward adventure movie, with gorgeous stop motion style animation.

It reminded me in places a lot of the Legend of Zelda. Probably not intentionally, but they are drawing from the same well of legendary Japan.