Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141018 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #8000 on: January 21, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
I would think Nintendo Land was supposed to be the game to showcase the Gamepad capabilities. It brought a lot of fun possibilities to the table. Granted, there has been no follow up to that title, but did everyone hate that game and thus it 'cannot' be counted as this generation's Wii Sports?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: January 21, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
I think Yahtzee of Zero Punction mentioned in his review that a semi-transparent GUI would create the same effect of looking at the menu on the gamepad and having action on the main screen.
Well, ****, if one reviewer said it, I should rethink my entire opinion on the game.

But really, it would not be the same because looking at the GamePad simulated looking through a bag. A transparent screen is not the same affect because looking at the GamePad, and away from the TV, added tension. If you don't pay attention, you could die which greatly affects you in ZombiU. I've died again trying to get my **** back from my previous character.

We've discussed many ways the GamePad could be used intelligently and uniquely in other threads. Unfortunately, we're not developing Wii U games and it doesn't seem like a lot of other people are either. It's silly to think the ideas don't exist just because they haven't been implemented. I find most ideas complimentary. They enhance more than revolutionize. The GamePad can and has made games better. Not to the point where a game is garbage without it, but if that's what you're expecting, reevaluate your expectations.

I strongly prefer local multiplayer. A four-player death match where you can't cheat by looking at another player's screen changes that entire dynamic. I've never been in a four-player death match setting where that didn't come up. My hope is that Nintendo gets this working in a successor.
I would think Nintendo Land was supposed to be the game to showcase the Gamepad capabilities. It brought a lot of fun possibilities to the table. Granted, there has been no follow up to that title, but did everyone hate that game and thus it 'cannot' be counted as this generation's Wii Sports?
I would have brought up Nintendo Land, but I felt it goes without saying.

Also, Miiverse, while not a game, would suck without the GamePad. Miiverse is one of the few things on Wii U Nintendo did right.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:49:12 AM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: January 21, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »
I'm sure there are going to be lots of rumours like that over the next couple of years...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8003 on: January 21, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
The ZombiU example still only points to one feature of a game.  Even Nintendoland still has games where you don't really need the gamepad.  Nintendo still doesn't have that "one game" that explains the concept and sells the system.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: January 21, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »

Calling ANY game this generation's Wii Sports would be a big deal.  Wii Sports was the sort of dream concept that my friends and I hypothesized in elementary school.  It was like if the Power Glove actually worked.  Nintendo were delusional/naïve/desperate/stupid to think that the Gamepad had that same appeal.  The Wii wasn't successful because it had a wacky controller.  It was successful because the wacky controller was used in a game that fulfilled what people had dreamed about getting from a videogame for decades.  Everyone at some point thought of the idea of a game where you move and the character moves the same way.  No one ever dreamed about a game where you have a second screen.  And if they did wouldn't the Gamecube/GBA connectivity or the DS have fulfilled that desire at some point?  This concept wasn't even new.  Nintendo had offered some variation of it for a good ten years when the Wii U came out.

The Wii was a damn fluke.  Nintendo stumbled ass backwards into a multi-million dollar idea.  They have no idea why it was successful and the Wii U came from an inane assumption that wacky controller with outdated hardware = $$$.  They copied the superficial elements of the Wii without understanding its true consumer appeal.  It's the sort of thing you would expect from a competitor trying to rip off the hot new thing, not the company that made the hot thing in the first place.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
Nintendo still doesn't have that "one game" that explains the concept and sells the system.
I agree and have said the same in the past, but that's still not the same thing as "There just isn't a game that wouldn't be the same without the gamepad." There are many. The ZombiU example is still an very important part of the game and is one of several ways the GamePad is used. It simply would not be the same game without the GamePad. Personally, I think it'd be worse. To use another UbiSoft game, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Rayman Legends was better on PS3/360. Not that those versions are terrible, it's just that the Murfy sections were made with the GamePad in mind thus are better on Wii U.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8006 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
I still think Nintendo went the wrong direction with the Wii U.

They should have enhanced the control bar, and figure out a way to use the Wiimote with a new HD system and new control bar and package the game with an enhanced Nunchuk controller or two. 

Instead of developing the Wii U Gamepad, Nintendo still had the BEST of the motion controllers.  If they could have developed a system which could have brought more of the future of motion controls.  Perfect the controls while giving the gamers the HD experience they wanted.  They could have delivered a system that would be closer to specs of the Xbox One or PS4.

I am not saying they would be on Par with that.  But if you could take the 20-30 more dollars it cost to develop that Gamepad controller and the resources needed to stream the video to the controller you could have put that into more RAM, and a more beefed up graphic chip and CPU chip.  No it would not have been the next generation perfectly, but it could have been closer…and it could have given us perfected motion controls, which is what I think people wanted and loved about the Wii. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: January 21, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
They should have enhanced the control bar, and figure out a way to use the Wiimote with a new HD system and new control bar and package the game with an enhanced Nunchuk controller or two.

I had a pretty good idea for that too. It involved a two way tracking, from the wiimote to the sensor bar, and from the camera(s) in the sensor bar tracking the wiimote 2.0 and the wireless nunchuck 2.0.

Unfortunately, that vision won't be realized since Nintendo decided to go the DS home console route instead.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8008 on: January 21, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Nintendo still doesn't have that "one game" that explains the concept and sells the system.
I agree and have said the same in the past, but that's still not the same thing as "There just isn't a game that wouldn't be the same without the gamepad." There are many.

I would argue that there are few, but I otherwise see your point.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8009 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »

I had a pretty good idea for that too. It involved a two way tracking, from the wiimote to the sensor bar, and from the camera(s) in the sensor bar tracking the wiimote 2.0 and the wireless nunchuck 2.0.

Unfortunately, that vision won't be realized since Nintendo decided to go the DS home console route instead.

I remember this idea.  I would think it would be cool to have been able to use the same controllers and save people money, but the more I think about it…the original controllers would not have any means of being tracked by the new sensor bar.  A new controller would have needed to be made.  But I think Nintendo could have done that and bundled any new controller with a new nunchuk as a single set controller…and added a few more buttons. 

I would have named it Nintendo Motion or something like that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8010 on: January 22, 2014, 12:39:10 AM »
I think the nunchuck was kind of limiting in the long term.  Like now, we have a Wii remote that does more, but with the nunchuck still limited you don't get the full upgrade for games that use both.  I feel this mostly when playing Wii Fit U games that use the nunchuck, especially Rhythm Kung-Fu.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: January 22, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »
Instead of complaining about what we didn't get like we're ungrateful children, how about we discuss the positive aspects of the Wii U?

Wind Waker HD sold me on the concept of the GamePad. It's use for inventory management and a permanent map display is brilliant. And I love off-TV play, it's such a seamless transition to go from the TV to the GamePad screen.

Metroid Prime would be perfect for the GamePad because you could use it as a Scan Visor (and map display). I really hope Nintendo released Metroid Prime Trilogy HD on the Wii U, and don't make it limited edition this time...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:32:31 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: January 22, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
Instead of complaining about what we didn't get like we're ungrateful children, how about we discuss the positive aspects of the Wii U?

What kind of fucking logic is that? We should just shut our pretty little heads and take whatever they give us? Criticism is sometimes warranted. This is one of those times.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: January 22, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
Ah NintendoLand, that would have been such a better game if it was built in like the Streetpass game and then expanded every once and awhile.  Either with the purchase of a game or to promote one.  WiiU Sport instead of getting its own little app would be an extension of NintendoLand it be a now branch that you could just go to.  Could have been interesting at the least.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
Yes, the built-in expanding amusement park was an idea that came up around launch. Too bad Nintndo didn't also think of that. Could have a great marketing tool, a reason to pack that game w/ every Wii U sold, and a reason for people to always have a reason to play it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
That was what I thought it was going to be originally. Miiverse and Nintendo Land rolled into one online, expanding carnival experience. I guess they could always do DLC expansions and make them free as pre-order bonuses.

If they weren't Nintendo I'm sure that is how it would have been. Nintendo is as Nintendo does.
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
What the hell happened to this thread?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8017 on: December 01, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »
Nintendo Directs killed the rumor mill.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: December 01, 2014, 11:53:41 PM »
Can't have rumors if you don't have games...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »
What the hell happened to this thread?

BlackNMild2k1
Gamer at heart
...just not in practice

Can't have rumors if you don't have games...

yeah... and that too.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: December 02, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »
What about ZombiU 2: Is this one of Ubisoft finished games? 

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: December 02, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »
Man rumors gave such hope. This was always the best thread. How many years until the Wii U successor, about 2? Hopes and dreams will be rekindled again and hopefully not smashed.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: December 02, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
Hopefully someone will take the time to dig up the rumors and keep the thread alive.

I have no problems with cataloging it all once it's posted, but I don't have the will power to mine the rumors like I used to.... I'm not sure if there even rumors anymore, since I haven't bothered to even look.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: December 03, 2014, 12:20:55 AM »
Since there is a need I'll keep an eye out for rumors. I suppose I could create some rumors.

Series 4 of Amiibo to have non-smash characters and release this Spring?
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: December 03, 2014, 12:24:01 AM »
I could make up some new rumors out of nothing and contribute them to this thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent