Author Topic: The Alliance Alive  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
The Alliance Alive
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
I want this game. I reeeally want this game. I was excited after it was revealed last week, but after seeing the video debuting it today this has become one of my most anticipated games.

If the art, fantastic music, and many of the gameplay elements seem familiar, that’s because this is from FuRyu and many of the same key people behind The Legend of Legacy. I know that game was divisive, but I really enjoyed it as a well paced, well presented JRPG with a unique and engaging battle system. Gematsu has a rundown of some details that appeared in Famitsu. It sounds like there will be a stronger focus on story in The Alliance Alive than there was in The Legend of Legacy, but other elements like a big cast of playable characters and at least some aspects of the leveling systems will be carried over from that game. They've given The Alliance Alive a Spring 2017 release window for Japan and I really, really hope we get some news on this game coming to the West soon.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: The Alliance Alive
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
This looks awesome, reminds me I still need to get round to The Legend of Legacy.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
I also have not yet played The Legend of Legacy, though the demo for it made it seem promising. This game looks like it could be something too, but I won't pay much attention to it unless it gets confirmed to release here.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
Friendly reminder to play the Legend of Legacy and prepare your butts for the eventual localization of the Alliance Alive.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:56:15 AM »
Get your asses onto your poor unused 3DSs and get the demo. It’s great and should really telegraph the difference in pacing, structure, and complexities of the game in comparison with The Legend of Legacy. While the former is great, this game looks and feels like a marked step up from its predecessor, and it’s just a demo so far.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
Yo yo, don't just browse the Monster Hunter Generations thread, check this one too!

So I'm about 30-ish hours into The Alliance Alive, and have discovered roughly three quarters of the in-game map, although there is likely one or two other uncharted areas I've yet to experience. I wanted to post some impressions for those who are on the fence about this title, especially if they are hesitant because of The Legend of Legacy.

This game is much more story driven than its predecessor, and its first 15-ish hours of gameplay are actually three separate parties/narratives occurring simultaneously. However, the game's exploration and discovery is also much more open. Even with the first of the new travel mechanics, the player can explore numerous areas. One of the main mechanics of the game can be found in its "Alliance" namesake- recruiting civilians and distributing them throughout the in-game guilds opens up new bonuses, abilities, equipment, and tactics for the main party, so revisiting towns and being thorough in exploration is key.

For those who are perhaps on the fence about the Awakening System and its implementation in both this and The Legend of Legacy, the game's main reward for defeating enemies are talent points, which can be boosted via chaining encounters together, fighting giant enemies, and raising the Recon Guild's level. These Talent Points can be distributed across weapon classes and character abilities, allowing players to really focus in on each party member's strengths. Even characters who do not participate in battle gain Talent Points from encounters, however using a character in battle means they have a chance to increase a skill/special attack's position level, which is really neat.

That being said, following the narrative closely is not always the best method of approach, as enemies sharply spike in difficulty level. Just like The Legend of Legacy, taking your chances and risking safety is important for Awakening skills, raising money, and improving HP/TP/MP stats. This isn't the sort of game designed to be powered through, and it also requires some pretty thoughtful consideration of resource management. Despite its light characterization and tone (with some surprisingly dark moments to be found here and there), I strongly believe that The Alliance Alive is a must have JRPG for fans of the genre, and one of the few that attempts to do something meaningful with new systems and mechanics in recent years.