Author Topic: Nintendo Rolls Out Wii U Update: Features Quick-Start  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Apollo5

• Addison Webb
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Rolls Out Wii U Update: Features Quick-Start
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »

Set the tone right for Mario Kart 8 by starting up the game as fast as possible.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37583/nintendo-rolls-out-wii-u-update-features-quick-start

Nintendo's latest Wii U system update is now available for download.

Headlining this update, Version 5.0.0 U, is the new Quick Start feature.  This feature allows users to directly load recently played or recently installed software directly, cutting out the home menu from the loading process.

In addition,  Wii U GamePad Alerts have been added.  This allows "special notifications from Nintendo" to be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered off.  

Some minor changes to the OS are also included in this update. System updates are now automatically installed after download when the Wii u is in standby.  In addition, the design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated, giving users the ability to change their User Mii from the Wii U Menu.  A Notification icon has been added to the Home Menu.

Additional improvements to overall system stability have also been made in this update.

The Quick Start Menu options are accessible under Power Settings and the Wii U GamePad Alert options are accessible within the Quick Start Menu options.

Addison Webb

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Rolls Out Wii U Update: Features Quick-Start
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »
I didn't get the quick start menu. I turned it off and back on and I didn't get it

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:16:03 AM »
I didn't get the quick start menu. I turned it off and back on and I didn't get it
It's THAT fast.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:12 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, but it said you could launch recently played games from it.  Maybe you need to launch a game and then restart to get it?  I don't know.

Offline Ras

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:28 AM »
Also, I think it said it comes up when you use the power button or the home button to start.  I guess it won't if you start by putting in a disc or some other method.  I guess I'll start mine in a second and see if I get it.

Offline Ras

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:06 AM »
Sorry for three messages, but when I went to my gamepad, the home button was flashing.  It took me through some information screens and let me set the alert volume.  It then listed a bunch of recently played games, including some I hadn't played in a while.  So, it should have come up for you.  I did have another system update I had to do before the most current system update, so maybe you should look at the download management and see if there's another?  Wish I could help more.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »
Turns out my problem was turning it off right after the install and then right back on. I guess you have to leave it off for a little. I'd guess it uses the down time to determine which games to put on the quick start menu

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
Anyone knows the file size of the update?....I have my HDD almost full

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Anyone knows the file size of the update?....I have my HDD almost full
580+ something Mbs. From what i see it installs on your system memory no matter what.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
System updates are now automatically installed after download when the Wii u is in standby.

Most important new edition of this update. I can't stand that it will download it while it sleeps, but it will wait till I turn it on to do something to notify me that it going to use the next 10 minutes to install something. Why didn't you do that while you were sleeping too!? Why wait till I want to do something to tell me to hold on, and come back in 10 minutes. Very annoying. glad that's been addressed.

Oh and a Quick start sounds nice too I guess, but why couldn't it just instant boot the main screen?
My PC boots into a Chrome with 12 tabs open and loaded quicker than it takes my Wii U to just boot to the main menu. Both have a log-in screen too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Can I just say that Quick Start is pretty awesome.

But I've uninstalled my Netflix and reinstalled it, and I still have the same problem of it being the only device in my house to have problems with video playback. Amazon vids play fine, youtube plays fine, and the few times I've used the Hulu Plus app, it has worked just fine too. Netflix fails on me on average of 1-2 times every other day.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »
The whole initial boot seems quicker tbh even w/o quick start

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Can I just say that Quick Start is pretty awesome.

But I've uninstalled my Netflix and reinstalled it, and I still have the same problem of it being the only device in my house to have problems with video playback. Amazon vids play fine, youtube plays fine, and the few times I've used the Hulu Plus app, it has worked just fine too. Netflix fails on me on average of 1-2 times every other day.
That's interesting to me. Netflix has always played just fine for me, but when we go from Netflix to the home menu it freezes almost half the time. I'm hoping this update will fix that

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »
Tried downloading it yesterday (and to get my free copy of Wii Party U), but kept giving me errors.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
Tried downloading it yesterday (and to get my free copy of Wii Party U), but kept giving me errors.
It gave you an error when you toured the coffee into your Wii U? I'd call nintendo.