Author Topic: Why should Nintendo drop the GamePad?  (Read 18071 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Why should Nintendo drop the GamePad?
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
What's with people wanting Nintendo to get rid of the GamePad? People made this same complaint about the Wii Remote, yet Nintendo didn't drop it because it was required by many games. The GamePad is also required by many games, and dropping it would render those games useless.

If Nintendo sold the GamePad separately, no one would buy it because it would be too expensive. It's better to include it with the console so everyone has one and it's universally supported by developers. And $300 for the Wii U is a much better price than $500 for an Xbox One.

Another thing, people actually want Nintendo to bring back casual gamers? Do people not remember the backlash Nintendo received for making to many casual games? Sony and Microsoft do just fine without the casuals, so why does Nintendo suddenly need them again?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:03:59 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Why should Nintendo drop the GamePad?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
The Wii U gamepad controller is so ingrained into the identity of the console that it would make more sense to forgo the entire system rather than simply discontinue the controller. The amount of work it would take to rebuild the OS of the system to negate the gamepad would be a waste of time and resources on Nintendo's part. I would rather they devote as much of their effort towards software, universal system account, and the Virtual Console as possible. Besides, without the gimmick the Wii U is nothing more than a cheap imitation of older consoles.

As for Nintendo's casual titles, Nintendo needs ten more hard core titles that are just a good, if not better, than X and Bayonetta 2.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
Let's set aside the truth that the Wii U can't be separated from the gamepad, and just work-out the theoretical question "Why do people want a gamepad-less Wii U?".

I think Nintendo could have leveraged the large install base of smartphones & tablets, and instead of designing their own controller/tablet frankenstein, released an app that allowed you to use it for off-tv play if you have a wifi connection.  The gamepad's 2nd screen functionality hasn't been leveraged much other than for this reason so far (a few exceptions, obviously), so why include that added cost in the controller itself and hamstring yourself compared to Sony/Microsoft if you can divert that cost into future proofing your console a bit better?

On your second point, who specifically is requesting Nintendo appeal more to casual gamers, other than maybe investors?  Most people on this website and other state their biggest issue with Nintendo is that they don't get the big 3rd party exclusive games.  It's the investors that are clamoring for Nintendo to release their games on iPhone/android devices on a free-to-play model, but you have to bear in mind that they care less about the longevity of the company and more about how much they can get their stock value to rise and higher dividends on their shares.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Most games really only benefit from the GamePad in terms of off-TV play, which isn't a very important feature for some people. People would stop suggesting dropping the GamePad if more games used it in interesting ways.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »
Gamepad is worth it for Miiverse alone.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »
Iwata already said in January after they gave their Q3 results that they'll be revealing some games that use the GamePad more at E3 so it's pretty much here to stay.  They're not going to reveal games that require it if they were planning on dropping the thing. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:48:56 AM »
Fans think the WII U needs an hardware boost and the fastest way to do that is an price drop so either Nintendo drops the gamepad or reducing the WII U price and eating the loss themselves.  I don't think an price reduction is going change the NA market--at best the price reduction will sell to families and maybe a few hardcore players but that's about it.

Also, those $500 Xbox Ones isn't selling neither.  :( 

-------------------

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
I love, love, LOVE the GamePad. I have a bunch of kids, nieces and nephews. (there are always kids in the house) My young ones wanna watch Disney Jr, I wanna play Super Punch-out. GAMEPAD. They wanna Youtube, I wanna watch Counting Cars. GAMEPAD. Wife watches those god-awful wedding shows, I wanna shoot myself or someone else. GAMEPAD. Nintendo looked into my blackened, torched soul and created this system for me.

I hope that the Mech controls for the next Star Fox game are on the GamePad like a cockpit view. I wanna be able to hack and modulate shield frequencies on the GamePad on the fly while still dodging enemy fire. so yeah GAMEPAD

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Personally i like the gamepad, it has its pro and cons but overall is a good piece of hardware, but Nintendo should sell an SKU without it and with a warning that some game features will be missing without it and if they wish to upgrade then so be it.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
That sounds like a nightmare. Again, one of those missing features would be the entire eshop which Nintendo would have to redo just to release a SKU that doesn't require the GamePad. It's too much of a hassle to try to un-GamePad Wii U.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
Dropping the GamePad as something everyone has would be a whole lot of work for Nintendo, and honestly it probably wouldn't sell enough extra Wii Us to be worth it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »
Let's set aside the truth that the Wii U can't be separated from the gamepad, and just work-out the theoretical question "Why do people want a gamepad-less Wii U?".

I think Nintendo could have leveraged the large install base of smartphones & tablets, and instead of designing their own controller/tablet frankenstein, released an app that allowed you to use it for off-tv play if you have a wifi connection.  The gamepad's 2nd screen functionality hasn't been leveraged much other than for this reason so far (a few exceptions, obviously), so why include that added cost in the controller itself and hamstring yourself compared to Sony/Microsoft if you can divert that cost into future proofing your console a bit better?

you forget to mention that the Wii U & Gamepad use a proprietary WiFi protocol that is not present or supported in current smartphones and tablets on the market.

And while they could make it work w/o it, it would be much slower in it's execution and more like a PS4/Vita connection, which most people wouldn't notice or probably even care.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
Quote from: ymeegod
Also, the $500 Xbox One isn't selling either.  :( 

-------------------

It's selling more than the 360 did at the same time period. Since when was a 3 million sales gap considered failure? When the PS3 was released the 360 had a 10 million sales lead, but the PS3 quickly caught up after the Slim was released at a lower price.

I hate how fanboys (not you) assume a console is "winning" or "failing" after only 4 months on the market; it's way to early to announce a winner. A console's success should never be judged on early sales figures; sales can change in an instant.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:49:00 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
I don't think Nintendo should drop the GamePad, but they should probably release a smaller, sleeker redesigned version. The GamePad is a monstrosity, it's simply too big. I became convinced of this when I witnessed my six-year-old nephew attempt to play NSMBU using the thing. He couldn't come close to gripping the controller or reaching all the buttons, and I doubt he's the only kid who has trouble with it. He just ended up using Boost Mode and I controlled Mario with a Wiimote, and he did so by setting the pad in his lap.

Myself, I have trouble with the top pair of shoulder buttons, and don't find it to be comfortable to hold.

I always thought Japan liked smaller controllers as well, which is a part of the reason the Nintendo 64 didn't do well there is because the controller was huge. I think there should be a GamePad that is shaped more like the Classic or Pro controller, but just with a screen in the middle. It certainly needs handles of some kind. I would probably buy a GamePad redesign to get a more comfortable controller.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
I enjoy the gamepad myself. If anything that could be a plus for the 'casual' market so someone can watch TV and another can play games. That was probably their line of thinking when they designed it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
I don't think Nintendo should drop the GamePad, but they should probably release a smaller, sleeker redesigned version. The GamePad is a monstrosity, it's simply too big. I became convinced of this when I witnessed my six-year-old nephew attempt to play NSMBU using the thing. He couldn't come close to gripping the controller or reaching all the buttons, and I doubt he's the only kid who has trouble with it. He just ended up using Boost Mode and I controlled Mario with a Wiimote, and he did so by setting the pad in his lap.

Myself, I have trouble with the top pair of shoulder buttons, and don't find it to be comfortable to hold.

I always thought Japan liked smaller controllers as well, which is a part of the reason the Nintendo 64 didn't do well there is because the controller was huge. I think there should be a GamePad that is shaped more like the Classic or Pro controller, but just with a screen in the middle. It certainly needs handles of some kind. I would probably buy a GamePad redesign to get a more comfortable controller.

I have been saying it until I am blue in the face that there needs to be a Game pad revision. Something that iis about the size of a PS Vita but with handles (accessory) that retails for about $99.99 and is more ergonomic in the hands. This is might boost Wii U sales in Japan because it would look more like a handheld rather than a tablet.   
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »

-------------------

It's selling more than the 360 did at the same time period. Since when was a 3 million sales gap considered failure? When the PS3 was released the 360 had a 10 million sales lead, but the PS3 quickly caught up after the Slim was released at a lower price.

I hate how fanboys (not you) assume a console is "winning" or "failing" after only 4 months on the market; it's way to early to announce a winner. A console's success should never be judged on early sales figures; sales can change in an instant.

The early sales DO matter though, if early sales are too low and companies lose money on releasing games for the system they drop support for it, Wii U sales were pretty good up front too but they dropped off.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
They should drop having to use the Gamepad in the eShop. There is no reason for that.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 02:56:18 AM »

-------------------

The early sales DO matter though, if early sales are too low and companies lose money on releasing games for the system they drop support for it, Wii U sales were pretty good up front too but they dropped off.

The original Xbox sold slightly worse than the GameCube, yet it got tons of developer support. The Xbox One will not fail like the Wii U did because the brand is popular with "core" gamers and developers. PS4 and Xbox One will get the same amount of games because developers tend to treat those platforms equally.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
The original Xbox sold slightly worse than the GameCube, yet it got tons of developer support. The Xbox One will not fail like the Wii U did because the brand is popular with "core" gamers and developers. PS4 and Xbox One will get the same amount of games because developers tend to treat those platforms equally.

In your crazy world is 24 million less than 22 million?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(sixth_generation)#Worldwide_sales_standings
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »
As Brandogg points out, the Xbox did a bit better than the GameCube, and that's with it possibly selling in negative numbers in Japan. It significantly outsold the GameCube in the west, and that, combined with the PC-like hardware western developers were familiar with, is why it got support.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »
Here is my takeon dropping the Game Pad, it could be done and it could work out good too, everyone talks about the 5 million users that would be offended and the handful of games that would be affected but here is the thing, if Nintendo dropped the Game Pad and cut say an extra hundred bucks off the cost of the console and sold it as an optional upgrade it would just be viewed as having packed in an accessory for a period of time and then removing it, they could patch any games that would be broken or just require those games to have the Game Pad anyways. Nintendo has done this before believe it or not, the NES came standard with the Zapper and launched with a game packed in that required the Zapper, after the machine took of they made the Zapper optional and sold separately and slowly support faded but sales of the console grew.

Suppose Nintendo drops the Game Pad, something that is a turn off to many, and sales triple over night, then software sales increase and support comes back, more games get made and everybody wins, the game pad remains an option for those who want it and they just re-package those games that use it as compatible with Game Pad and let the gamer decide which control scheme they prefer, they can do a motion controls only bundle that is akin to Wii Mini that they target to the casuals and pack it in with a new Wii Sports and an updated Wii Fit or something and get some of that market back, then they have a cheaper entry level system for those who want the machine but don't want the high price tag. Can they completely bury the Game Pad and forget about it, no but they can remove it as an mandatory bundle pretty easily and the games that require it can be labeled as such and the gamer who cares enough for that feature or game will buy it, like the people who buy the Balance Board or the Microphones or Kinect or PS Move, etc.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:55:26 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
The problem is that support will not come back, even in the best scenario possible. This is Nintendo. Historically 3rd parties are skeptical of Nintendo from the get-go. Those birds have flown the coop and will not be returning. The best hope is to weather the course and make the most with what they have at present. They can try again next generation. If anything we learned that developers are willing to give Nintendo a shot at the start of a console.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
Maybe not the best but it will improve if sales pick up. It silly to think otherwise, even the Game Cube made a slight bounce back after the price drop and sales boost. It didn't amount to much but they managed to hang in there where Wii U will be doing Dreamcast levels of sales and Sega CD levels of support if they keep doing what they are.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
I think it'd be silly to drop the gamepad.  It's the only thing about the hardware that's unique in any way.  While there haven't been as many games that use it in creative ways as I'd like to see, hopefully Nintendo putting an increased emphasis will result in more unique uses.  Another problem is that they've had enough problems with confusion about what the Wii U is already without further confusing the market.  And while they could drop the price some by removing the gamepad, they'd also have to include a different controller (I'd imagine the pro controller) and I'm assuming the price to manufacture the gamepad has come down compared to when the system has first released, so I don't think removing it would automatically result in a $100 price drop like many think.

3rd party support is all but gone from major publishers and for the most part isn't coming back.  The difference between the Gamecube and Wii U is that the Gamecube was on basically the same level of hardware as the competitors so porting games wasn't a problem.  With the Wii U, games made for the other systems would need to be changed significantly to run on it.  And to make an exclusive for the system when there's a smaller number of users and those users are known for buying mostly games made by Nintendo, it just doesn't make financial sense.  So many people get mad at 3rd parties for not supporting the system, but why would they?  Generally, the people who own only a Wii U aren't likely to buy their games and the people who own another system are going to buy it on another system anyway.

Nintendo's only hope is to continue to attract lots of independent developers since that's the one area they are getting good support, it seems like a fair amount of the titles are successful, and many of the games appeal to Nintendo fans.  Beyond that, keep making partnerships like the Hyrule Warriors game using their IPs and keep the first party releases strong enough to satisfy Wii U owners so that there's a chance those owners will buy their next system.