Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 24193 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Destiny
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »

I pre-ordered the game and I'm going to play the Beta.  I enjoyed the Alpha and I be more excited by the game if they hadn't already announced Expansions.  With that being said who else is playing?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:02:03 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Re: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Been playing the Beta.  I'm a level 5 Titan at this time.

It's interesting comparing the Alpha to this.  I like the progression more.  I absolutely hate the dialog change for The Dark Within.  It feels total different and soulless.  I like this version of the Dialog vastly less.

It's still lonely when playing it.  They tweaked the enemies.  In The Dark Within where your rushed by The Hive.  The rushing enemies take about 2 shots.  Which I think is appropriate for a Swarming Rushing type enemy.  It feels a lot better for the role.

Been finding chests thats cool.  Sparrow grids not so cool.  Beacon's are still broken in my mind.  Having to go to Ten-Buck-Two to do something in a Pop in play mode doesn't feel good.

Going to be playing Tonight, 7/18/2014, at 8:30pm CST.  All are Welcome.  Lord that sounds like Church.

I'm CericME.  If you don't put a little bit of who you are I'll probably ignore your request.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:21:27 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Last night got my Titan to level cap which is 8 again.  Did a first run through of all the PvE content.  Disappointed they didn't raise cap and allow some of the moon missions.  What's there is good.  Biggest problem is that Public Events need a tuning pass or the dynamic world filling algorithm needs tuned.  Two level 7 couldn't make a dent on a level 5 event boss.  To the point that 2 more wouldn't help.  There is to much walking between points on some of them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »
I haven't even played it yet, but watching a friend play a bit of it has already sold me on the game. I'm not usually a big FPS guy, but this is exactly the kind of thing I could get into.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »
I've only seen a few clips, but if Halo 5 wasn't being made by whoever is making it, I would have thought that this game was Halo 5. I want to play the beta, but I might not pre-order (you can cancel those though, right?) because school starts in a few weeks and I basically can't play any video games until late December once that happens.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
I've only seen a few clips, but if Halo 5 wasn't being made by whoever is making it, I would have thought that this game was Halo 5. I want to play the beta, but I might not pre-order (you can cancel those though, right?) because school starts in a few weeks and I basically can't play any video games until late December once that happens.

I've got an extra beta code for the PS4, if you've got one and would like to play.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
I will love you forever (emotionally and physically), yes I have a PS4.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
Emotionally AND physically, you say? Check your PMs.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks! Lovemaking will begin soon, disappointment to follow.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
On Saturday I played Crucible Iron Banner.

I'm disappointed it didn't really change anything.  Just got Mars maps and I know its suppose to take out the equalization.  Besides that its just control.  I have yet to find where the Iron Banner is in the tower.  I have rep for them but I'll bet I can't wear the gear which is a theme.

On Sunday I did ALL of the Single Player story content on the higher difficulty with my Titan.  It had some intense moments.  I almost made it through all the SP content in the higher difficulty without dieing.  I was on the last enemy set of the last story mission and a Hive Wizard poisoned me somehow.  Once I respawned I demolished that wave with prejudice.

Then I saw I almost had my Fist of Havoc upgrade so, I did some PvP to see if I could push it over.  That didn't work out.  I stink at PvP.

Got a ton of Bounties done though.  Including Killing 30 enemies without dieing using your Melee.  The bounties give you experience which since I'm level cap doesn't do much for me but it seems to raise my different abilities.  Like I was close on the Grenade upgrade.  Turned in a bounty and it popped.

Talking about the Grenade Upgrade.  The Pulsing Grenade definitely been tweaked since Alpha.  I can't put my finger on it but it was much stickier and harder to use in Alpha.  I'm having great success with it this time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:53:45 PM by Ceric »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
I've put a few hours into the Beta and have mixed feeling about it. The shooting feels great, the game looks good, and the speeder bike you can summon is a lot of fun to ride around on. Unfortunately the missions themselves are kind of boring. Maybe those missions would be more fun played with other people, but the only other players I bumped into were busy doing their own thing and didn't necessarily seem to be directed by the same prompts as me. It might be a cool game, I just don't feel like I've got a good grasp of it yet.

I did, however, play some competitive multiplayer on the Moon map and thought it had a lot of potential.
Gouge away.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
Haven't played it yet. I downloaded it yesterday and it said it was done, so I started it, got signed in after several attempts and then it told me...26% downloaded. I think it's done now but I fell asleep waiting for it last night.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
Unfortunately I was out of town until last night, and I promptly started my download.

Turn on my PS4 tonight to give it a shot….and now it's down until Wednesday?!?!?!  Shoot!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
The Beta was up last night.

Finally Finally Got a new ship.  The rate you get Glimmer in the Beta is seriously bumped down from the Alpha.  It took me forever to get a new ship.  In retrospect I should have bought a new speeder because it would have made me faster.  I just wanted a sleeker ship so I got the Sleek Purple one.

I played PvP last night.  Haven't got Rusted City this whole Beta.  I'm still not overly fond of the Moon map while vehicles are in play.  Though I am getting better at PvP.

Finally, got my Fist of Havoc upgrade.  Its awesome in its own way.  They whole Impact area gets this continual AoE that lasts about as long as the Grenade one.

I think they tweaked either the damage output I was doing down or the armor of the Monsters up.  They seem to be harder to kill after the maintenance in the Harder Modes.

The game is less boring mission wise on the higher difficulty and with someone.  They seem to tweak the numbers for how many there are and the higher difficulty there just more and more aggressive AI.

If I'm not swamped with Church work I'm going to try to do the Harder Difficulty Devil's Lair tonight.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:14:33 AM by Ceric »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »

Yep, I took note of that and got through the introductory mission.  I'm enjoying it for what it is so far (FPS with leveling-up).  Playing a warlock because it seemed like the most interesting character from the description, although if I have enough time, I might create an alt.

Seems like a lot of the internet's response to the beta so far is "meh", but as someone who could never get into borderlands and doesn't play many first person shooters, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

My only gripe is that the sprint button wasn't working, but that might have been because I was using remote play on my Vita, so I don't know if remote play's kinks haven't been worked through yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:07:39 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »

Yep, I took note of that and got through the introductory mission.  I'm enjoying it for what it is so far (FPS with leveling-up).  Playing a warlock because it seemed like the most interesting character from the description, although if I have enough time, I might create an alt.

Seems like a lot of the internet's response to the beta so far is "meh", but as someone who could never get into borderlands and doesn't play many first person shooters, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

My only gripe is that the sprint button wasn't working, but that might have been because I was using remote play on my Vita, so I don't know if remote play's kinks haven't been worked through yet.
The Sprint button is weird on remote play.  I believe its the touch screen.  Check the Help info on the Vita for all that they have a mapping diagram.  At least they did in the Alpha.

I enjoy it for what it is.  I wish they would have up the level cap some and opened up a little more.  Another PvP Mode would have been nice and at least 1 moon mission.  I'm sure later on it will get harder.  Like in the last story mode mission on hard difficulty the Wizard can poison you.  Don't really know how that mechanic works but it killed me.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
Thanks, Ceric.  Found out it's actually mapped to the D-Pad Down for remote play, which is a poor choice.  The game feels much better on the DS4, obviously.  As a side note, I really wish Sony would implement Remote Play through their playstation app for tablets so I could use the controller/tablet and my wife could use the TV.  Vita is a bit cramped for my hands, and you can't chat through the vita with PS4 people while playing.

I'm really enjoying the game so far.  I get the comparisons to Borderlands, but the gunplay & controls feel better here, and honestly, I wasn't a fan of the style & humor (felt like it was trying too hard).  I much prefer the asthetic of Destiny, which feels like a mix of Star Wars & Mass Effect wrapped in Halo gameplay and WOW instance structure.

I started as the Warlock, but I think I might give the other two classes a try before the beta ends to see how they all play/feel, so I can get a sense of who I'll main with.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
So anyone know where I go to do the PVP?
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
So anyone know where I go to do the PVP?

That would be the 'Crucible' which is accessible on the 'choose a destination' menu page. I've only jumped into PVP the once, but it seemed fun.

If anyone is interested in creating a Fireteam/partying up on PS4 let me know.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
So, I've experienced something in Destiny since my last post and have a question about it. A question that is make or break as far as my getting this game is concerned.

In what I believe to be the last story mission of the Beta I was thrown into a Fireteam with two other people, and at the end of the level we had to fight a boss. We got creamed the first time, and did much better the second time. Then the other two guys quit. Now I'm left fighting the thing on my own, but the game does not seem to have scaled accordingly. There's still a ****-tonne of enemies and now the boss's cannons are constantly trained on yours truly.

Up until this point my understanding of Destiny was that it was more fun to play with other people, but that it was possible to play through solo. So my question is this: Was I wrong? Will Destiny require me to play with others in order to complete it's campaign? I don't necessarily have a problem playing with people online in order to get past certain missions, but I really don't like the idea of making it all the way to the end of a mission only for them to piss off, leaving me unable to continue.
Gouge away.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:37 PM »
Just played it for the first time...seems pretty cool so far. What's weird is I always play any FPS with vertical look inverted, including this, but I find myself pushing the stick in the wrong direction constantly. Maybe it's just because I haven't played my PS4 in like 6 months.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
So, I've experienced something in Destiny since my last post and have a question about it. A question that is make or break as far as my getting this game is concerned.

In what I believe to be the last story mission of the Beta I was thrown into a Fireteam with two other people, and at the end of the level we had to fight a boss. We got creamed the first time, and did much better the second time. Then the other two guys quit. Now I'm left fighting the thing on my own, but the game does not seem to have scaled accordingly. There's still a ****-tonne of enemies and now the boss's cannons are constantly trained on yours truly.

Up until this point my understanding of Destiny was that it was more fun to play with other people, but that it was possible to play through solo. So my question is this: Was I wrong? Will Destiny require me to play with others in order to complete it's campaign? I don't necessarily have a problem playing with people online in order to get past certain missions, but I really don't like the idea of making it all the way to the end of a mission only for them to piss off, leaving me unable to continue.

For what it's worth, I've played solo nearly the whole time, including the level I believe you're referring to.  That boss IS beatable solo, but you can't just run around guns blazing, you have to really strategize and work on separating the enemies from the larger horde and pick them off in smaller groups.  Took me about 4 times to be successful because it was a sharp increase in difficulty compared to the other levels. 

That said, I don't know if the enemies scale based on group vs solo, and don't know if it would scale down mid-mission.  Did you actually join the group, or did they just follow you through the mission?  Technically you can play along with a group without actually joining them.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:13 AM »
If the game paired you with 2 other Guardians then what you played was Devil's Lair.  It is not a story mission.  It does not count for the story stats on Bungie.Net.  Devil's Lair is what is known as a Strike.

A Strike is a Dungeon or Instance if you've played any other MMO.  It is designed and meant to be done by a team of 3.  The game should have automatically paired you with more people.

All the Story Missions you can do Solo.  Now I know from experience that they do scale to your fireteam which can be interesting.  I haven't had a fireteamate leave while doing a Story Mission but, I imagine that it would scale back on the next wave or area.

The Last Story Mission of the beta is on the Far Left middle of the Earth Map.  It ends with Hive jumping in out of no where and you have to defend a Communication Array.

To answer the question about where is PvP its to the far Right of the destination map.

Its Moon (PvE Locked), Tower (Hub Town), Crucible (PvP)
Earth (PvE)

That's how the map should look.

Did a little PvP last night.  I think they nerfed Grenades a bit in PvP.  I had a grenade land and go off at a Hunter's feet and they didn't die last night.  That was pretty much a guaranteed kill before.  Got a Bounty done and upgraded my Storm Fist and Sniper Rifle.  Then went to bed.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess it just wasn't clear to me that the 'Devil's Lair' mission was distinct from the others. It was just another selectable point on the map, so I thought it was a story mission like the others. I went on to beat it with another group and thought it was pretty fun.
Gouge away.