Author Topic: So Steam Machine still a real thing?  (Read 13366 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: So Steam Machine still a real thing?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »
Ah, that second link makes more sense. I didn't understand what you were getting at with the first post.

I'll wait to see how things actually turn out at the end of the year, but the news is exciting if accurate. In fact, unless there is some kind of real letdown a Steam Machine looks like a no-brainer next time I buy a new console.

My only notable concern remaining is Steam OS and the (relatively) limited number of Steam games and multimedia applications that support Linux.

Currently I own about 150 Steam games but only about 60 playable using Steam OS (source: https://steamdb.info/linux/). Suddenly having convenient access to 60 games is nothing to sneeze at, and the number missing is slightly misleading because it include many small pieces of content such as individual pinball tables, or episodic games. However, there are still a lot of highly desirable games in my account that Steam OS cannot play.

Additionally, Netflix support would be a meaningful selling point. I know there are many ways to get Netflix on a TV, but having access from a single device would be a boon.
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
This is literally the only thing i care about in this entire "Steam machine" thing:

Steam Link is a laughable proposition and sounds like a scam targeted at people who are oblivious about the fact all modern PCs can be connected to all modern TVs by the magical mythical device called HDMI cable.

Steam Lighthouse is just yet another VR wannabe cashing in on a new gimmick wave.

Steam Machine also not for me, considering i already own one (hint: it's just a PC) and it works for me just fine.

Now, steam controller is super interesting. I am a person who has major troubles with playing first person shooters on dual analog layout, and i really hope steam controller finally solves this conundrum -- providing both the precision or m/kb and comfortability of comfy couch gaming.

PS. You're all making PC gaming much bigger hassle than it is. With Steam's Big Picture mode it's basically a console already.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 05:43:54 AM »
PS. You're all making PC gaming much bigger hassle than it is. With Steam's Big Picture mode it's basically a console already.

Existing PC gamers keep telling me this... but every attempt I've made to source a dedicated gaming PC for my living room without significant hassle (or huge cost) has come up short.

Console gaming is convenience gaming. If Steam Machines make PC gaming more convenient, they will find a market.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »

Existing PC gamers keep telling me this... but every attempt I've made to source a dedicated gaming PC for my living room without significant hassle (or huge cost) has come up short.

Console gaming is convenience gaming. If Steam Machines make PC gaming more convenient, they will find a market.

That is because PC gamers have gotten used to how difficult it is to build a PC from scratch so to them it is easy. Its like those race car guys who can build a car from scratch in their garage telling average Joe its easy to build a race car in your garage.

The actual buying and assembling of parts is not inherently difficult, it is rather time consuming though. The difficult part is finding drivers, tweaking the damn OS, downloading patches, configuring controllers with EVERY damn game. Its a major hassle.

If Steam Machine can basically reduce the entire process down to choosing the model or level you want then there is a market for that.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
It's not that difficult anymore. Basically everything is on Steam and supports XBox 360 (and Xbox One) controllers. I've been thinking about getting a gaming PC (can get a bitchin' machine for about $800)...but mainly so I can play Wii games at 4K 60FPS.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
That is because PC gamers have gotten used to how difficult it is to build a PC from scratch so to them it is easy. Its like those race car guys who can build a car from scratch in their garage telling average Joe its easy to build a race car in your garage.
I never "built" my PC, also i only bought two PCs so far so obviously there is no way i could get accustomed to that.

Both times i got my PC, i came to the shop, looked over price list, checked the components that are somewhere in the top 5 in the category by price and then got my built PC a few hours later.

It's not that hard.

It's definitely pricey though. I usually work with 1 500-2 000$. High initial price is ofset somewhat by stupidly cheap steam prices but still i can understand if someone doesn't want to spend that much upfront.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
I hope it's real!
Long live Valve
Down with Xbox and Playstation!
O.k Nintendo can live.
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Made you look ****.