Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454885 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1275 on: September 14, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
I feel angry seeing Megaman Volnutt on my 3DS.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
That comic was nice!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
I've played the demo on-and-off since being gifted the code.  I am shocked at how smoothly the game runs, and how good everything looks in the demo.  The e3 videos from the original teaser look like garbage in comparison in both areas, and they've either made vast improvements, or maybe this is just another case of not being able to effectively showcase a 3DS game without it looking like garbage (maybe both).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
First, regarding the roster, Sakurai mentioned that even though many characters are included, there are some who worry about those who didn’t make the cut. He specifically addresses the absence of the Ice Climbers as well. It seems they were running in the Wii U version, but due to the required hardware power, the team couldn’t make them work in the 3DS game. There wasn’t as high a priority given to series that are unlikely to have another installment at this time.

Good bye, Popo and Nana. :(

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
That makes sense and is completely reasonable. The Wii U and 3DS versions had to have the same roster and stages for crossplay so it isn't like the Wii U version could include Ice Climbers and the 3DS version not include them. That would make the 3DS version seem inferior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »
They should just release the Ice Climbers as DLC for the Wii U version in the future then.  Because lets be honest here, most of the real fans will be playing the Wii U version much longer then the 3DS version.  A year from now nobody is going to give a **** about the 3DS version anymore so if they suddenly where to release the Ice Climbers as Wii U only DLC, I doubt anyone will be offended since all the casuals buying the 3DS version right now won't care about the game next year and the rest of the fans will have the Wii U version and be more then happy to spend money to get the Ice Climbers back.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
Offending people should be the least of their worries anyway. These are two different games on two separate systems and they should be treated as such. And they are for the most part. The developers have made it abundantly clear that the 3DS version is already the inferior one in almost every way. The only thing it has over the Wii U version is Smash Run, a mode significantly limited by lacking online multiplayer.

Ultimately, it's ridiculous to intentionally make the Wii U version worse considering the games are mostly independent of each other. Crossplay would have been the only reason for roster parity and that was denied from the get-go, probably with good reason.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1283 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
This was a concern when Sakurai announced doing two versions (that the Wii U version would be gimped in some way).  Then he said not to worry about it.

WELL I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN WORRIED THEN!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 18, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
I've decided not to buy the 3DS version after a lot of deliberation. I decided to spend my 40 bucks on Theathrythm and I don't regret it. I hope the loss of a single character is the only lost for parity between the two versions. However, I don't think that will be the end of it. I've seen some speculation that the limitations of pokeball uses might also be in the Wii U version but that hasn't been confirmed or denied quite yet.

Personally, after hearing all this, I don't think the 3DS version should exist if it means gimping the already superior product.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 19, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Well at least the newest picture of the day makes it very likely the Wii U version will have more stages.  In the 3DS version Fire Emblem only had one stage while now the picture of the day show the Wii U version will have 2 Fire Emblem stages.  Yeah the second one is Brawl's old one, but in the 3DS version, 8 series were only given their old stages without anything new.

Sakurai only said the roster would be the same between versions but nothing about stages.  So since Fire Emblem gets 2 in the Wii U, it shows he doesn't care about making stage representation for series being equal between versions, which should mean the overall stage count is going to be higher as well.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 19, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
This game is beautiful. The internet vids don't do it justice. When its not blown up to 3x its normal size, its flat out gorgeous.  BUT, as a guy who put over 1000hrs on melee...something feels different about this game. Once I get my XL it might play a bit better but this game needs to play on the big screen. And the circle pad takes some getting used to. When 4 people play the screen stretches to a extent that quints  out a bit.  It also possible that my main and my backup aren't playable so I can test out my skills.  Villager is LIFE

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 19, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
At times the players get to small and I personally feel that the stage is smaller than it should be.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
The demo's had the opposite effect on me, it's making me lean towards not getting the 3DS version, at least not right away. That and the control options in the 3DS game are pretty limited and I can't change them to what I want. With so many unknowns about the Wii U version and how the two will interact, it seems best to wait and see.

With 50 GB to work with, the Wii U game should have all stages from the previous three games, but they're not that generous.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 19, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
It's confirmed that you can change the controls in the 3DS version (which means this is likely in the Wii U version as well), just not in the demo. This alone may not change your mind, but it's one less thing to worry about.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: September 19, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
I know that there are some control options, I said that the options are limited and I can't change them to what I want. For example, there isn't an option to control the character with the D-Pad instead of the Circle Pad, and there is no option to map more than one function to one button.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Hmm, I thought you meant change the control layout. My bad.

I suppose using the d-pad would save the Circle Pad from wearing down. I just can't imagine actually using it. You could double-tap to run. That would take some getting use to and I'm having trouble with the layout on demo as is.

I'm not sure what you mean by "map more than one function to one button." What functions would you want to map?

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
After a a few hours with the demo, I'm confident that with a XL this game will feel much better to me. It took a minute to get used to playing without a wavebird, and having a fighter you understand ( Villager ...sweet mother).

A few weeks into the game with all the modes and tutorials unlocked, I'll be back to my highly mediocre state before too long.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 21, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
So after playing the demo, the controls on the 3DS actually work pretty well for me at least.  My only problem was the default setting in the demo for B on special attacks and A on normal attack is pretty bad and keeps messing me up.  For Smash Bros on this kind of controller, Y for attack and X for special work much better since it will then play like a Kirby game which is what Smash is based off of.  But since the final version will allow me to change this, it's a non issue in the end.

Oh and damn, Link really did get a huge buff like people have been saying.  Attacks hit hard, and arrows/bombs are actually useful for once.  I'm also really liking Mega Man with his wide variety of Normal Attack.  Oh and Villagers Up-B really is insane.  I accidentally feel to the very bottom of the stage and then did that move and was able to fly all the way back up.  He/She really is going to be the perfect troll character.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1294 on: September 21, 2014, 01:17:46 AM »
I think the Final Destination version feels kinda small.  I hope there are longer options.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 21, 2014, 01:24:28 AM »
I think they made stages smaller on purpose so that when stage gets zoomed out (during four player matches), characters don't turn into minuscule mesh of pixels due to 3DS' low resolution.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1296 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
That makes sense.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 23, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "map more than one function to one button." What functions would you want to map?
Er, um, nuts, I can't remember, it's been like two weeks, but there was something.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 28, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
Rascals! Scoundrels! Villains and knaves all of you! The 3DS version is a blessing! I'll continue to play it along side the Wii U. version for years to come! And the rest of you better be right there beside me!

If not I will spare no one on these forums in any Smash match ever! You will not want to play me even after a single day of play! "The destroyer!" You'll all say! "The ruiner of fun!"
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »
I see that I rack up coins in the demo. Any word on if we will be able to transfer these over to our main games?

I'm planning to bite on the 3DS version at some point, the question is when. I'd like to get it now but I may wait until the NEW 3DS since it will fully use it.

Loving the Villager and updated Link. I can beat level 9 AI with Villager. Though I keep thinking Khush is the character since he has that as his avatar.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast