Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454935 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1250 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:14 PM »
People seem to be upset about the clones but Mr. Sakurai explained that.  If a character is even remotely different play wise...it doesn't matter how different...they get their own character slot.  Mr Mario has different moves and power balance. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: September 11, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
I'm not really upset over the clones mainly since I'm so impressed by the newcomers. The sheer number of characters in the game makes the clones feel less like roster-padding. My main issue is the choice of Dr. Mario, not necessarily that another clone was included. Apparently, he's sans-FLUDD Melee-esque Mario which does soften the blow of getting a clone and losing the Ice Climbers (barring DLC). He isn't merely a rebalanced Mario. That said, people seem to consider Lucina to be the worst clone because she's just just a rebalanced Marth. Dark Pit is supposedly close to Brawl Pit as in Pit was given new moves and Dark Pit has the old moveset.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 11, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »
If Alph is just a reskinned Olimar, why can't he use Rock pikmin? Wouldn't that make him a different slot or am I missing something here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1253 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
Olimar can't use Rock Pikmin either.  I think that was a nod to perhaps the game?

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
Thanks. So much information to obsorb, from so many different sources. Then we have the treehouse stream in the am where I expect NO new info.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
About that Wii U menu option: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will let you use the 3DS as a controller

But why would anyone want to? Buy real controllers, you silly poors.

Also, this makes the lack of Circle Pad Pro support even more ridiculous. Wii U gets another control option. At this rate, I feel like there will be Circle Pad Pro support but only in the Wii U version if you use the 3DS as a controller, not in the actual 3DS version.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:30:08 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Given all the control options in Brawl I'm not at all surprised that's an option, but you're right that it makes the lack of CPP support more surprising.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: September 12, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Given the plethora of control options you need to be in real short supply to consider using a 3DS.

Of course this could very well be the early test stages of Nintendo's future hybrid system.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
About that Wii U menu option: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will let you use the 3DS as a controller

But why would anyone want to? Buy real controllers, you silly poors.

Also, this makes the lack of Circle Pad Pro support even more ridiculous. Wii U gets another control option. At this rate, I feel like there will be Circle Pad Pro support but only in the Wii U version if you use the 3DS as a controller, not in the actual 3DS version.

The 3DS version is pretty much just a demo for the Wii U.  The final 3DS game indeed lacks an Event Mode, Stagebuilder and has less stages then Brawl.  Not to mention out of those stages, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Yoshi, Wario, Sonic, Star Fox, and Pikmin just reuses there Melee or Brawl stages with nothing new.  In comparison, 4 of these series already have confirmed new stages in the Wii U game.

Oh and the ultimate kicker, the 3DS version has only 2 songs per stage, but it's been revealed has a lot of music from the Wii U version that can be unlocked but then only heard in the sound test.  If that doesn't prove the 3DS version is just an advertisement for the Wii U then I don't know what is.  This is why I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version does have a few more characters that 3DS owners will need to have transferred since the 3DS version has already shown has had no problem making it incomplete in the mode, stage and music departments.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: September 13, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »
Thoughts on the demo:

To get the negativity out of the way, it's a bit light on content. It's just a demo, I'll live. Also, it really would have been nice if every Platinum Status Club Nintendo member got download codes, even if it was only two per member instead of four per selected member. Like many things, Nintendo could have handled it better. Still, it's nice to even get a demo and that there's no silly limit.

The menus are weirdly chaotic because of the different shapes. It had the same aesthetic as Kid Icarus: Uprising's menus (since Sakurai's wife designs them); it just looks disordered. This is just something I noticed, and it doesn't really matter.

Enough of that. The game, even using a Circle Pad, already feels better than Brawl. No tripping is fantastic. I've never been a technical player so I didn't notice the very specific things that advanced tourney players have mentioned like increased lag, the delay after performing attacks or movements and other such things. It just feels like a tighter experience than Brawl. I've previously read that the game is faster than Brawl yet slower than Melee, and that's about right. It's closer to Brawl which I think is a good thing. As much as I laud Melee, it was ridiculously fast. I could hold my own against friends and even my brother at times, but even with more training, there's a wall I hit where it feels more like work and less like fun to get better at the game.

I'm really not used to the button placement which is to be expected since I've been using the GameCube controller in Super Smash Bros. for nearly 13 years. I tried to use the Classic Controller a few times and it felt like I was cheating on my GameCube controller. On 3DS, I want Y to be special and B to be attack because that's where my thumb naturally falls when I'm holding the unit. I'm not faulting the game for this. Old habits die hard. I'm hoping my time with the 3DS version will get me prepared to use the Wii U Pro Controller. I'm getting the Wii U bundle so I can use the GameCube controller. I feel like at some point we're going to have to let it go.

Mega Man was the first character I chose because he had to be. Previous first choices are Samus, Zelda, and Pit. ZOMG, amazing. I couldn't find an image macro to adequately describe how I felt when I played as Mega Man for the first time. Anyway, Link seemed improved over Brawl which I felt severely nerfed him.

The graphics are nice on the 3DS screen. I thought the low resolution screen would really hurt the game, but it looks great. The sound isn't great, but I blame the speakers. I'll have to try playing with headphones.

Ultimately, I'm now looking forward to the game even more which is suppose is the point of demos. Can it just be October 3 already? Stupid normal passage of time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:40:59 AM by Adrock »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1260 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Villager is the best enhancement talent since SD Jones.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 13, 2014, 03:33:54 PM »
I just can't get used to the demo's default controls, but fortunately the real game will have options for that.

From everything I've seen of the 3DS game (which appears to be all of its content), it looks like a pretty basic version of Smash Bros., comparatively speaking. I'm still on the fence of whether or not I want it; I'm hoping the Wii U version has a lot more modes and features, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath. Then again, I guess I could always sell the 3DS game when the Wii U one hits.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 13, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
The demo uses the CPP? Good to know. It feels weird without it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 13, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
The demo uses the CPP? Good to know. It feels weird without it.
No, it doesn't. Who told you this?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 13, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
I read it above from Adrock. Maybe I assumed that he meant CPP from "circle pad". Pity. Got my hopes up again.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1265 on: September 13, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
I believe he was referring to the standard circle pad on the system itself.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 14, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »
So I've been listening to the soundtrack.

Personal favorites so far.

Gerudo Valley: http://youtu.be/UB3D5WJX5lQ?

Ballad of the Goddess/Ghirahim's Theme: http://youtu.be/JnwmMW_SXnc?

Darkworld/Dark Palace: http://youtu.be/O7zI2zGoiQk?

Mega Man 2 Melody: http://youtu.be/8MuoUmwhrn8?

Airman's Stage: http://youtu.be/3gX3ryloe1o?

Sparkman's Stage: http://youtu.be/_RGgqsl_gl8?

Gear Getaway: http://youtu.be/AV_TQMQiJyk?

Super Mario Bros Melody: http://youtu.be/vHhzz3LAUZI?

Rainbow Road Melody: http://youtu.be/Z4We1AwhvNs?

PAC-MAN'S PARK/BLOCK TOWN: http://youtu.be/y0ZvcZ5dw_I?

Vs Trainer (Pokemon X and Y): http://youtu.be/071-G3X7c24?

Star Wolf - Sector Z: http://youtu.be/xnV4u7K784g?

Super Smash Bros Melee Ver 2: http://youtu.be/gMl_IWNamZI?

Just posting the remixes but even the 3DS version has a great selection of old songs as well.  Once again, makes you wonder just how much music is going to be in the Wii U version.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:43 AM »
DLC ideas

1. Melee Bundle:
- Unlocks Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and Roy
- A collection of Melee stages
- Unlocks Adventure Mode: Ice Climbers' Revenge. Popo and Nana are pissed they got cut from the retail release and start taking out every character on the roster. The story's climax has Mario grab a hammer only for the head to fall off while he helplessly continues the hammer animation to which Popo says, "Hammers betray you because they belong to me!" then he throws a hammer at Mario, sending him off the icy mountain and killing him. Dr. Mario, the character who stole Popo and Nana's roster spot, appears in the end credits scene. To be continued...

2. Brawl Bundle:
- Unlocks Lucas, Wolf, and Snake
- A collection of Brawl stages
- Unlocks the epilogue to Adventure Mode: Ice Climbers' Revenge called "No Clone is Safe." The clone characters band together to have the Ice Climbers removed from the roster once and for all. A fatal mistake. Nana doesn't know the meaning of the word "mercy."

3. New Bundle
- Unlocks Newcomers: probably Chorus Kids, Dixie, and two others for a total of ten DLC characters
- A collection of new stages and alts and costumes
- Unlocks Ridley is a Stage Hazard Option. Similar to how almost every stage has a Final Destination form, this gives almost every stage the option of having Ridley be a stage hazard (replacing other stage hazards for those that have one like Yellow Devil in Dr. Wiley's Castle) since he can fly and he's too big and too strong to be part of the roster. Also, Ridley's model is based on his Other M design because **** you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
On a more serious note, here's the thing I feared most regarding the 3DS version and how I may potentially buy a New 3DS in the future: Broken Circle Pad.

Super Smash Bros. is such a competitive game. I can definitely see how this happened. Go easy on your poor Circle Pads, people.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
     That is unfortunate. Just another reason for me to get a "Smash Only" 3DS. Or maybe learn how to play with the D pad. (i never could understand how people did that on the Wii)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 14, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »
That is the one fear I have held ever since they announced Smash for the 3DS. Hate to see what will happen to the Wii U gamepad.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 14, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
     That is unfortunate. Just another reason for me to get a "Smash Only" 3DS. Or maybe learn how to play with the D pad. (i never could understand how people did that on the Wii)

In another stupid move by Nintendo, you won't be able to do that. Custom controls are limited to flipping the face buttons and turning off tap to jump. The 3DS version is looking worse and worse by the second.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
That is the one fear I have held ever since they announced Smash for the 3DS. Hate to see what will happen to the Wii U gamepad.

Well the Wii U players can at least use other kinds of controllers that can easily be replaced if broken and are much cheaper to get as well, since the Gamepad is optional.  Of course even if people were using the Gamepad, the analog stick on it is actually designed for a game like this so it would still last much longer then the 3DS Circle Pad is going to.

Hey, maybe that's Nintendo's strategy to really sell the Wii U version this holiday.  Release the 3DS version first so everyone ends up breaking their 3DS by the time it comes out, requiring everyone to have to buy the Wii U version as well since they'll realize why Smash Bros is not a very handheld friendly series by then.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
I have to think the traditional analog sticks on whichever controller you'd be playing the Wii U game with would be a lot less likely to break. I never heard about that with the previous games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 14, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »
So I've been listening to the soundtrack.

Personal favorites so far.

Gerudo Valley: http://youtu.be/UB3D5WJX5lQ?

Yes. Gerudo Valley is my favorite song from any video game ever. That version is awesome too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA