Gaming Forums > Reader Reviews

A Review of Breath of the Wild: DLC RELEASED!

(1/3) > >>

Evan_B:
This either.

Mop it up:
You can start a new game by creating a new user. Not the most elegant solution I know, but at least it would allow you to play a new game without erasing your completed file.

After the first few hours, I didn't get killed any more. The food system is easy to exploit. This is still an easy Zelda game, though it requires a little more effort to make it easy by gathering materials and cooking the food.

Stratos:
Interesting analysis, and I am intrigued by your game rankings, but how dare you place Majora's Mask so low! Though more seriously, I have drawn a comparison between BotW's open and living world with that of Majora's Clock Town. Do you see this the same way, or at least feel Clock Town was a great concept, just not executed as well as it was in BotW?

--- Quote from: Mop it up on March 18, 2017, 01:14:13 PM ---You can start a new game by creating a new user. Not the most elegant solution I know, but at least it would allow you to play a new game without erasing your completed file.

--- End quote ---

thanks for the idea, I already have an alternate file for my Japanese eShop account so I can probably use that, or make a third if I want to restart the game.

Evan_B:
Ranking Zelda titles is tough, and don't get me wrong, there's really only one game on that list that I genuinely dislike. The series is really high quality and it's hard to split hairs on certain titles, but that's the best ranking I've got.

Clock Town is one of the best towns in Zelda, period. It's NPC schedules and density are amazing. The main problem I have with Majora's Mask actually has to do with Clock Town, though, which is that the best parts of the game's content are centralized there, and its really the only area that takes advantage of the three-day time limit as a mechanic. It also feels a bit too rigid, if you get my drift, and in being as complex and interwoven as it is, it fails to end up appearing organic.

Breath of the Wild's open landscapes feel organic, and the events that unfold in it do. The second you add in the NPC element, however, the game stumbles a bit. The first time you rescue a pair of soldiers from monsters is extremely satisfying, but when you realize those same soldiers are going to fight those same enemies when a Blood Moon rises, it blows the wind out of your sails. The behavior of the animals and enemies in this game is where it shines, and luckily, that's where you spend most of your time. I'm not too turned off by NPC's not being more active or unpredictable, though, because I've seen the flip-side of things: Xenoblade Chronicles X, where NPC's move around like Michigan J Frog at a music festival.

Evan_B:
I just wanted to let you all know that, having digested my playing experience for a bit, I have decided to release DLC for this review. The third installment should be coming shortly, but I also wanted to say that I'll likely be adding even more DLC with the release and completion of Nintendo's own planned updates for Breath of the Wild.

In addition, if you would like to to read the reasons behind my ranking of the Zelda titles, you can find them here: http://nerdraeg.blogspot.com/2011/11/the-legend-of-zelda-talk-personal-very.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version