Author Topic: How Utz Potato Chips and Pocky Wound Up in Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash  (Read 925 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

And also how one brave Nintendo producer traveled around Japan to meet with snack food companies.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40595/how-utz-potato-chips-and-pocky-wound-up-in-chibi-robo-zip-lash

The world of Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash is populated by all sorts of snacks, ranging from pocky to Utz potato chips. Just how exactly did branded snack foods wind up in Chibi-Robo's world?

"We were trying to think of ways to express [how tiny Chibi-Robo is] to give you a point of reference to show you how small he is in real life," Nintendo Producer Risa Tabata told us at E3 2015. "Since this time, there are no people around, [the snacks] something we can give you to compare."

In addition to having a reference point, Tabata and the team at Skip also wanted to give Chibi-Robo some more items to collect that felt more substantial.

"Because the game itself takes place around the world in various places, we thought coming up with different monuments that you see around the world, such as the Statue of Liberty or the Pyramids, but that would be way too big to use as a reference for a tiny little robot," Tabata said. "And that's when I thought 'What's something that's around us all the time, and makes people happy to see or to find in game?' I personally also love snacks too, so I thought this is a great idea to implement in the game."

However, for Tabata, it wasn't as easy as snapping her fingers to get branded snacks in Zip Lash. In America and Europe, the Nintendo branches there reached out to various companies. In Japan, Tabata visited 30 different snack food companies herself.

"Around this time in Japan, it is super hot and humid," Tabata's boss and fellow Nintendo Producer Kensuke Tanabe recounted. "So she was wearing her business attire, walking around the whole country, travelling to present this idea to all these people. I myself was sitting in the office, just chilling, thinking 'She's going through such a hard labor.' *laughs*"

We'll have more from our E3 2015 interview with Risa Tabata and Kensuke Tanabe from Nintendo about Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash all this week. Stay tuned for more!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: How Utz Potato Chips and Pocky Wound Up in Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
$$

I mean, smart way to get $$, but $$ none the less.