Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3141211 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2650 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
I remember the horridness that was Banjo Tooie's framerate issues.  Almost as bad as Perfect Dark's multiplayer framerate problems.

With all of that said, yes, gameplay is the most important aspect of a game's design IMO, too, and framerate definitely does affect it.  Why some devs can't bring all of these aspects together when creating Wii games is beyond me...

EDIT: I meant "can't".. whoops..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:57:11 PM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 19, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Developer experience.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 19, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
This achievement system idea has me hoping Nintendo will make it available for all Wii2HD and 3DS games and not just Nintendo games or not just a separate system for each console.  I want something like trophies for the PS3 but also includes the PSP along with it where every game can earn the achievements regardless of game maker or the platform it was made for.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 19, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
Framerate is the most important aspect of graphics because it actually can affect the gameplay. A choppy framerate that slows at seemingly random times makes things more difficult. Imagine trying to pull off a careful, steady shot in a shooter with the screen jerking around everywhere...

So, yeah. 60fps is quite important to me. The sacrifices that would have to be made to get a current Wii game to run in HD would not be worth it (I'm not convinced that a reduced framerate would be all), though it doesn't matter anyway because it isn't possible.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
Tangentially-related:
... Wii2HD ...

I wish Nintendo had called the their little box with the blue light the "Vii" instead, if only just so they could call the NEW system the "Wii". I think that'd be an awesome successor name. As it is, the only logical place they can go from "Wii" is "WiiWii."

Obviously.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: July 21, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
Or they could call the next console "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!"

You know...like when smelling headie nuggets.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: July 24, 2010, 12:07:20 AM »
Apparently the guests on the Jerry Springer show like to play the wii because on three occasions the people on the stage said that they were playing either the wii, or a wii game, before they did their deed that lead them to being the show. Kind of funny?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 26, 2010, 04:25:42 AM »
It's kind of sad that you watch Jerry Springer.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:50 AM »
It's kind of sad that you watch Jerry Springer.

Agreed. I didn't even know Springer was still on the air.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 24, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
No rumors for nearly a month?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
The summer is usually slow for rumours, plus it usually takes a few months after E3 before rumours start flowing around again.

All I can find is rumours about Nintendo's next system using Blu-Ray, which I think we all know are bogus:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/08/nintendo_wii_2_rumored_to_come_with_blu-ray_drive.html

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 24, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »
Stranger things have happened. In the past year, Nintendo has admitted that their online structure sucks (in not so many words) and they've actively sought after 3rd party support and feedback for 3DS. I won't subscribe to the Blu-Ray rumor (still a little far fetched); I'm just saying that it's getting hard to predict Nintendo's next move when things we never thought Nintendo would do are actually happening.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
They'd sooner use HD-DVD that go with Blu-Ray. Not a terrible idea considering it's niche usage today. Could probably get the tech for cheap as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 24, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
They'd sooner use HD-DVD that go with Blu-Ray. Not a terrible idea considering it's niche usage today. Could probably get the tech for cheap as well.

I think the tech would be more expensive for HD-DVD.  The more something is manufactured, the less it costs per unit to build.  This is because there is more competition, more people working on developing cheaper versions of the technology and better manufacturing processes, and larger factories generally have cheaper per-unit costs than small factories (as long as the factory doesn't get too large).
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Good point. I was thinking only from a licensing standpoint.
My Game Collection

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 24, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »

I think the tech would be more expensive for HD-DVD.  The more something is manufactured, the less it costs per unit to build.  This is because there is more competition, more people working on developing cheaper versions of the technology and better manufacturing processes, and larger factories generally have cheaper per-unit costs than small factories (as long as the factory doesn't get too large).
Yes, that means Blu-Ray has gotten cheaper.  But it doesn't necessarily mean it's any cheaper than HD-DVD.

Not knowing the costs of either, I can't say whether you're correct or not.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
I'm wagering that Nintendo will use some sort of cartridge/card format. It would suit their needs more than any type of optical medium.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 24, 2010, 10:34:41 PM »
I'm wagering that Nintendo will use some sort of cartridge/card format. It would suit their needs more than any type of optical medium.

Cartridges are so 1990s, Mop It Up. Do you really want to go back to those days? I mean optical media is a pain to deal with thanks to the its fragility, but I never want to return to cartridges.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
If they could do it without pissing off third parties and without raising costs too much, I'd be all for it. They're more durable, they don't take up as much space, and should eliminate loading times.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 24, 2010, 10:51:13 PM »
Not to mention that the system itself is more durable and takes up less space. Who wouldn't want to go back to those days? We're past the point where solid state is so much more ridiculously expensive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: August 24, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
I'm totally with you. I prefer it over optical media. 2 issues: backwards compatibility and higher capacity cards are still pricey. I keep all of my old systems so BC isn't a requirement for me, but people love their BC. And I'm sure SD cards as a comparison for pricing. A 16GB goes for like $50 for consumers, not sure what that would mean for publishers but the bottomline is that it's more than pressing a disc.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
Solid state is ridiculously expensive compared to blu-ray.  A 50 GB blu-ray writable disk costs about as much as a 4 gb flash drive.  That is over 12 times the price per unit memory, and the pressed discs would probably be a fraction of that price.  Add to that likely upcoming discs with up to 10 times that capacity (500 GB) and there is simply no comparison.  I really don't think we are going to see flash-based game distribution, it will be optical and online.  But I do expect to see much more flash-based storage on the next system.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 24, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
That's true, but 50 GB is (and will be for some time) ridiculously overkill for games. Almost all games this generation would fit in 8 GB. Solid state is more expensive, but it's also more durable and can be more effective against piracy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 25, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »
That's nowhere near as ridiculous as $10 for an 8MB Nintendo 64 cartridge vs. less than a dollar for a 650MB PlayStation disc.

The DS seems to be quite profitable using cards, which are a sort of cartridge, so I see no reason why a home system can't either. And the size of DS cards has increased considerably since its launch, which would indicate the costs for them has come down. So by the time Nintendo launches their next system, 8GB cards would be plenty cheap enough for the system, and they serve consumer needs better than optical media.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 25, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
But that is part of the reason for the $5-10 'tax' you see on some high profile DS games. It's because they are using larger cards (unless you are Square, then you charge extra anyway whether or not the game is that size).
My Game Collection