Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 675071 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Season Suspended Due To Pandemic And Gobert Dumbassery
« Reply #2250 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15:08 PM »
As an old wrestling fan, the NBA playing at Disney World reminds me of the WCW Disney tapings and thus amuses me.

NASCAR, and auto-racing in general, is unique in that the participants do not have to make any physical contact with each other.  If I can maintain social distancing at the drive-thru then you can do it racing cars.  You can't possibly play basketball safely even with no travel or fans.  If someone gets infected then you have to test everyone and possibly halt play if a whole team is infected.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2251 on: May 29, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
Well a new rumor has popped up stating that the NBA is expected to return on July 31st. So about two months away.  How that will go seems to be leading into this direction. Most GMs want the season to end by October 1st.GMs want a larger roster to provide flexablity for their teams. Assuming to combat injuries/ players needing to be quarenteed. 53 percent voted for tradtional playoff seedings while 47 percent wanted reseeding. 53% said they want to go straight to the playoffs while 27% wanted abreviated season with play in option. 60% said 72 game season to reach the 70 game thresh hold for TV deals.  83% said they wanted a playoff plus option of 20 or more teams in the playoffs. Finally non playoff teams are split on resuming the season.

Edit: New update today there is 4 potential formats for the return of the season. 
Here they are...   

16 Teams. This format would jump directly into the postseason by locking the current standings into place. Doing so would minimize the risk of spreading infection by limiting the number of teams in the bubble, but would exclude a number of teams in the Western Conference that had a legitimate chance to reach the playoffs before the coronavirus shut down the season.

20 Teams. If the league brings four extra teams to Disney, it would likely be to hold a World Cup-style group stage. This format would see five groups based on regular-season records open the playoffs. Each team would play each other twice, with either the top two teams advancing to the final eight or the top four doing so with a second group stage. The four non-playoff teams to be invited, in all likelihood, would be the four teams on the Western Conference bubble: the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings and San Antonio Spurs.

22 Teams. Bringing six extra teams to Orlando would open the door for a play-in tournament. According to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, the style being discussed would include all teams within six games of a playoff spot. That would be the Pelicans, Blazers, Kings, Spurs, Phoenix Suns and Washington Wizards. If the two No. 8 seeds in each conference (the Memphis Grizzlies and Orlando Magic) were included as well, the NBA could build a simple eight-team bracket with either a single-elimination format or short series. Charania discusses a potentially different 22-team format that would feature regular-season games leading into a play-in tournament, as well as games to determine playoff seeding. According to The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor, this shortened regular season would likely include eight games per team.

30 Teams. If the NBA brought the entire league to Orlando, Charania indicates that it would mean holding a 72-game regular season (approximately 7-10 extra games per team) before holding a play-in tournament. The advantage of doing this would be getting each team beyond 70 games, as that is a critical marker in local television deals.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:43:14 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2252 on: May 30, 2020, 01:38:59 AM »
So, I think I'm personally against the idea of bringing back all 30 teams.  It's dangerous (increases risk of infection), could jeopardize the plans (risk of outbreak), and requires more people to be locked in Disney's Wild World of Sports, away from their families.  Now, I understand the teams wanting TV contracts to be satisfied, but the teams that are more games behind an 8 seed than they'll play are playing (and risking their lives) for nothing.

I don't like going straight to the playoffs either, since a lot of players have been out of practice and the playing could be not up to par, but the players wouldn't have a real reason to play other than scrimmaging.  But there's also teams that are close to the playoffs losing their chance.  So, I think some games are necessary.  That said, I think it's weird that the NBA keeps wanting to do things that soccer leagues do.  So, I guess I'm against group play for that sole reason.

I do wonder how you create stakes for the players and tension for the audience.  Like, you want LeBron to not limit his minutes, but why wouldn't he if his playoff standing isn't in danger?  He's also not playing for home court advantage, so the only incentive is to play the "worst" team in the first round.

It's a tough problem once you decide to go outside the teams already in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the NHL came out with a plan that could equally work for the NBA.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:16 AM »
I don't like going straight into the playoffs, either, because it rewards teams who had easy schedules in the 1st half of the season, who now wouldn't have to play the difficult games that would affect playoff seeding. Likewise, teams that had rough 1st halves of the season wouldn't have an opportunity to make up lost ground.

If the season is to resume, it should have to play out the entirety of the regular season and then the playoffs. Next season can be tailored to be shorter to make up for all the lost time, but at least all the teams would be on level ground.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2254 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:16 PM »
I don't think they're gonna try to squeeze in the entire rest of the season.  That just seems like asking/hoping for too much.  Plus, that would put teams with players returning from injury thanks to the extra time at a slight advantage.  No matter what you do, somebody gets screwed.  Roughly 75% of the season has been played, I think that's enough to say who had a realistic shot and who didn't.  Allowing a few extra teams to play in seems like the best move.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: May 30, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »
Sounds like a good time for a Top 20 Tournament for Playoff Seeding, then pick up Playoffs from there.
East West Mix and Match since travel will not be a concern.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2256 on: May 30, 2020, 09:36:08 PM »
It is looking like the 20 and 22 team format is likely going to be the more popular options heading into the meeting on Thursday. If it is the 20 team format the Suns are out of the playoffs and if it is the 22 team format they are in. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 30, 2020, 10:40:05 PM »
22 teams works for me.

As long as it's a Top 16 seeding going into the playoffs and not a Top 8 two conference thing.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2258 on: May 30, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »
From what I've seen, they were still gonna stick with conferences, but that could change.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 31, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
No solution is perfect - but at this point, I'm just happy they are trying to offer any kind of playoff scenario.

I like the idea of a top 16 seeding (no conferences). Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but since travel and location doesn't matter, why not drop the conferences? It also looked like there would be some interesting matchups that would never be seen normally.

I'm ok with the idea of just taking the teams that currently qualify; there are some on the outside looking in who will be disappointed... but if a play-in situation ousts a team who would currently qualify that just means a different fan-base is the one being disappointed, so I'm not sure how much it matters in the big scheme.

Hopefully there will be a few games for teams to get their legs back before actual playoffs start... although even if that doesn't happen, teams will at least be on (mostly) even footing. The first round could be pretty rough as players chip off the rust though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2260 on: June 03, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
Looks like the proposal is the 22-teamer.

Any team within 6 games of a playoff spot - 13 West, 9 East - will play out 8 games in Orlando, then the standard playoffs would follow (in the same site). If the 8 and 9 finish within four games of each other at the end of the season, there'd be a best-of-3 play-in series. Non-bubble teams would be playing for seeding.

Playoffs would start in August and the finals would be in October.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 03, 2020, 05:31:36 PM »
And when would the next season start?

gonna be LOTS of back to backs next season. LOL

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2262 on: June 03, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
We'd probably get a season that looked like the 2011-12 lockout year: 66 games, starts at Christmas.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
We'd probably get a season that looked like the 2011-12 lockout year: 66 games, starts at Christmas.

Sounds right, although maybe they'll toy with the idea of permanent changes to the NBA season start/end dates?
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2264 on: June 03, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
I can't see them doing that, at least to that effect, without changing the number of games, which may be difficult to do with the current TV contracts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »
Even before the pandemic, the league has entertained moving the start of the season back to December for a while now. I believe this is partially so it doesn’t have as much overlap scheduling with the NFL. This would be as good a time as any to experiment with that. The NBA and NFL seasons would only compete for like one to two months, and it’s the worst basketball of the season as teams develop chemistry and work through off-season rust.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2266 on: June 03, 2020, 11:49:30 PM »
From my understanding each team will play their next 8 games in the schedule before everything was postponed and then have a play in tourney.  The 8 games is to get back in some semblience of shape and readiness. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 04, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
Unfortunately, now that the season is back, the Jazz are likely to get annihilated because one of our most important players, Bojan Bogdanovic, went in for wrist surgery a few weeks ago and so is out for whatever remains of the season & playoffs. Without his 3 point shooting, I just don't see us beating most of these regular season games or getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

This was supposed to be our year.  :(

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 04, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
Was it though?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: June 04, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
Was it though?

It is what the front office promised. They spent deep into the luxury tax & blew all their draft picks and a good chunk of the existing team's depth and chemistry to put together a team that could win a championship. They brought back the Jazz retro uniforms & logo from the 90s Finals runs. They cashed in every possible chip & failed.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2270 on: June 04, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
Even before the pandemic, the league has entertained moving the start of the season back to December for a while now. I believe this is partially so it doesn’t have as much overlap scheduling with the NFL. This would be as good a time as any to experiment with that. The NBA and NFL seasons would only compete for like one to two months, and it’s the worst basketball of the season as teams develop chemistry and work through off-season rust.

This is a good point and has been coming up since the lock out season.  I actually preferred the later start with fewer games.  The next season is likely to be delayed anyway, so having a later start is probably a given.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2271 on: June 08, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
Well here is the timeline of dates for the rest of the season, playoffs and offseason. 

June 15 - International players return to markets.

June 21 - All players report.

June 22 - Coronavirus testing begins.

June 30 - Training camps open.

July 7 - Teams travel to Orlando.

July 9-11 - Training camps resume in Orlando.

July 31 - 2019-20 NBA season resumes.

August 25 - NBA Draft Lottery.

October 12 - Latest possible date for NBA Finals Game 7.

October 15 - NBA Draft

October 18 - Free agency begins.

November 10 - Target for opening day for 2020-21 season training camps.

December 1 - Target for 2020-21 season opening night.

Oh some other news is that players are trying to get two way players to be included on the roster.  I would imagine as an insurance policy for the bench and to get some play time to evaluate the two way players during the last 8 games of the regular season.   

Oh also speaking of those 8 regular season games then it is likely going to have a play in tourney for the 8th seed in each conference.    The Suns are on the outside looking in 6 games back of the 8th seed.  They have to go 7-1 and have 3 more wins than the Trailblazers, Pelicans, Kings and Spurs as well as 2 games up on the Grizzlies.   Going to be interesting last 8 games for the Suns.  These last 8 games are going to have a playoff atmosphere for them because of the urgency.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: June 09, 2020, 12:22:25 AM »
I need to see this....

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2273 on: June 09, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »
Don't let the NBA get a hold of this.  They're doing the rest of the season at Disney World, and Disney is not one to scoff at a marketing opportunity.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
Don't let the NBA get a hold of this.  They're doing the rest of the season at Disney World, and Disney is not one to scoff at a marketing opportunity.

If Disney does do this, I hope the seats are packed with Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals.