Author Topic: Best cheap XBLA games?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Best cheap XBLA games?
« on: August 16, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
I am thinking about getting some XBLA games. I have up to $10 to spend. Any recommendations? I should note that I already have "Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged, Vol. 1" (which contains Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, Wik: Fable of Souls, Bejeweled 2, Outpost Kaloki X, Hardwood Backgammon, and Texas Hold 'Em) and the Xbox Live Arcade compilation disc that comes with the Xbox 360 Arcade bundle (which includes Pac-Man: Championship Edition, Uno, Luxor 2, Feeding Frenzy, and Boom Boom Rocket).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Best cheap XBLA games?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:29:34 AM »
Dunno, maybe Splosionman? That's some nice trick platforming.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
Amazon usually has codes cheaper than Xbox Live Marketplace for games so I recommend you look at Amazon for pricing first.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:34:34 AM »
Consider a bunch of ~$10 retail games. I've bought a bunch from Newegg. Click around and sort by price!

On live arcade, my choice games are Bomberman, Aegis Wing (free!), Boom Boom Rocket, Castlevania SOTN, Catan, Chessmaster, Ikaruga, Megaman 9, MVC2, Metal Slug 3, Pacman CE, Puzzle Fighter HD, SSF2T HD remix (I got this one on PS3, tho), TMNT Arcade, Triggerheart Excelica, and Worms. I dunno how much each of these are individually, I just know that they're probably my best buys. Don't forget you can grab a demo of each one.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:10 AM »
I wasn't a fan of Mortal Kombat 3 when I played it as part of Midway Arcade Treasures 2, is the Xbox Live Arcade version that different?

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am thinking about Smash TV and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (although I have heard mixed things about TMNT).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »
The issue with TMNT is that it's based off of the arcade version.  It allows four players simultaneously, but several stages and bosses from the SNES port are missing.  If you were to hold it up to the SNES version, you'd miss out on the all the Technodrome stages (Entry, elevator, and Foot Clan throwing Shredder boss), Bebop and Rocksteady (Tokah and Razor are the bosses of this stage), Slash (instead, there's a Blob boss in the arcade version, not sure of the XBLA version here), and the Rat King.

That's a long list, but to tell the truth, that's the Arcade/SNES comparison.  While the XBLA version might include some of the SNES upgrades, from what I've read, it disappointingly does not.  It's something that warrants investigation enough to remove it from "Impulse Buy," though.

Edit:  Super Krang is in the XBLA and Arcade release.  My mistake.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
Consider a bunch of ~$10 retail games. I've bought a bunch from Newegg. Click around and sort by price!

On live arcade, my choice games are ... Megaman 9

WTF

Why would anyone want to play this game using a 360 controller?  Are you that much of an achievement whore?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »
Seriously, Splosionman is good 2D platforming. Did noone here play it because it doesn't have a brand attached or what?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »
I saw the GT review, it looks pretty fun.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
It's UMK3, so you get Scorpion, Reptile, (classic) Sub-Zero, Ermac, Mileena, and Kitana, and a few more stages. Also you can start combos from jump kicks and punches, and there are a few more selections from Shao Kahn's treasures. Other than that, it's the same game. I'm an MK fan since the original in the arcades...so I'm biased.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:10 PM »
I was never a MK gamer, I was always in the Street Fighter camp. That is why I am also looking at Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (I hate that overly long title though).

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:41 AM »
The issue with TMNT is that it's based off of the arcade version.  It allows four players simultaneously, but several stages and bosses from the SNES port are missing.  If you were to hold it up to the SNES version, you'd miss out on the all the Technodrome stages (Entry, elevator, and Foot Clan throwing Shredder boss), Bebop and Rocksteady (Tokah and Razor are the bosses of this stage), Slash (instead, there's a Blob boss in the arcade version, not sure of the XBLA version here), and the Rat King.

That's a long list, but to tell the truth, that's the Arcade/SNES comparison.  While the XBLA version might include some of the SNES upgrades, from what I've read, it disappointingly does not.  It's something that warrants investigation enough to remove it from "Impulse Buy," though.

Edit:  Super Krang is in the XBLA and Arcade release.  My mistake.

The original TMNT was on my get list, not Turtles in Time. Woot :3

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »

On live arcade, my choice games are ... Megaman 9

WTF

Why would anyone want to play this game using a 360 controller?  Are you that much of an achievement whore?

Awfully presumptuous of you to think I'm using a standard 360 controller, my little nublet. For those looking at a lot of 360 arcade games, consider the Mad Catz dpad ($25 new and got me an 'A' on Ikaruga level 4) or the street fighter arcade stick.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 12:20:25 AM »
The Mad Catz XBLA stickis one of the worst pieces of **** ever released, I hope that's not what you're referring too - also it's $10 new if you can find it in a GameStop. I'm almost finished (re)building my Xbox 360 dual arcade joystick, I'll have to post some pics when it's complete.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 06:26:52 AM »
There are two different designs for the Mad Catz pad, apparently, a really older one and a much better new one. The dpad on both of them is better than the Microsoft controller dpad.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »
Ah, you're talking regular controllers - I thought you were talking about their useless Mad Catz XBLA Arcade controller. I have 2 of those Mad Catz pads that you mention (though one was labeled GameStop, but it's all Mad Catz inside), they're inside my controller I'm building (finishing up). I figured they were so cheap (one used, and one on clearance at Wal-Mart), I'd just use wired controllers - now NewEgg has wireless Microsoft controllers for $20 (refurb). Oh well, one day I'll make it wireless.