Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674247 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1650 on: October 07, 2019, 06:15:18 PM »
So...anyone up for discussing the case of the Houston Rockets GM whose job is at risk right now because he posted a pro-Hong Kong Independence Tweet, causing outrage from China that the NBA quickly rushed to denounce? It's pretty messed-up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/sports/basketball/nba-china-hong-kong.html

Not treading those waters, man. Good luck to you though.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 07, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »
So...anyone up for discussing the case of the Houston Rockets GM whose job is at risk right now because he posted a pro-Hong Kong Independence Tweet, causing outrage from China that the NBA quickly rushed to denounce? It's pretty messed-up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/sports/basketball/nba-china-hong-kong.html

Not treading those waters, man. Good luck to you though.

Well, that's why I asked before posting anything more.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1652 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »
I think the only thing worth mentioning is that guy is almost certainly going to lose his job after costing the NBA a pretty hefty sum in lost revenue over a tweet.  Anything beyond that is . . . dicey territory.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 07, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I'd prefer not to touch that subject, although will understand if others feel differently.

What I will say right now, however, is that it's absolute bullshit that NBA League Pass expressly excludes all Raptors games for Canadian viewers. Was hoping to stream content via Roku this year, but not sure now. There are some west coast teams I'd like to watch... but their games tend to run obscenely late. Maybe ordering League Pass isn't worthwhile and I'll just look for an illegal stream or go out to bars when trying to pick up a game.

What a bummer. :(
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
It's surprising that a tweet can cause this much drama.

You'd figure Morey admitted to TREASON (against the NBA) on twitter with how much negative response and quick retractions and apologetic ass kissings were made.
But Money Talks, so it's likely Morey Walks.
Maybe he should follow example and just double down and normalize his opinion on the matter. LOL

just kidding.

honest opinion. He should've known better than to get involved or publicly state any opinion on the matter whatsoever. He is a public figure, and coach of a team with a HUGE Chinese following, that all help pay him and his teams hefty salary. This matter also, as far as I know, does not directly or even indirectly affect him and/or his family, so he should have know to make the smart business decision when it comes to public statements on a worldwide platform.
We'll have to see if it blows over, or if Morey must make a public appearance in China to kiss the ring or whatever needs to be done to make amends for having a public opinion on the matter.

James Harden immediately put on some glittery lip gloss and got down on both knees to start kissin ass to apologize for the comment he didn't make on behalf of the team and organization... (and with the kind of money they making out of China.... honestly, I don't blame him. I probably wouldn't do the same, but I'm here in my bed posting online after busting my ass all year for a small fraction of what he makes per month, so who am I to speak :/)

But I don't know enough on the subject outside of the surface of the issue at hand to really comment on it in any meaningful way.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 08, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
I didn’t have enough information on this yesterday to form an opinion. It treads a political line that I didn’t and don’t want to cross. I read up on it. This explainer is as good a place as any for anyone interested.

That said, I’m still not going to comment on the Hong Kong protest side of things. It’s a mess. I don’t feel like getting banned or being part of a big ol’ thing on this here vidyagames forum. I will comment on the NBA side of things. I’m disappointed by how quickly and fecklessly the league and Rockets owner/organization including some players turned its back on Daryl Morey right after tossing him under the bus. I mean, I understand why from a practical perspective (money... this is entirely about money) but also don’t from a human perspective. I’m not even referring to the human rights stuff which again, I don’t want to get into. Morey turned the Rockets into a title contender, and it’s disheartening to see in real time just how immediately the league and team were like, “Yeah, but **** you, Daryl.” One would think Morey went full-Chris Benoit with the way what, like everyone hung him out to dry. There’s no loyalty in sports, man. This is exactly why I almost always support players. Get paid because the team will drop you at the first sign of trouble, no matter what that may be.

China just suspended the broadcast of NBA games about an hour ago (the Lakers are set to play the Nets in Shanghai on Thursday) so, you know, that’s likely the last straw. Morey looks like he’s about to get fired. If/when he does, I’d expect him to sue. Based on skill, he should have no trouble finding another NBA job, but he may be considered toxic right now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:41:21 AM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1656 on: October 08, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »
Silver Screen and Roll made a post about this and with Adam Silver's updated clarified statements he madelate on Monday night.  https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/10/8/20904350/cctv-tencent-wont-broadcast-lakers-vs-nets-preseason-games-china-statement-nba-adam-silver?fbclid=IwAR1dpbXmiI3rfsr5r4x8vA-QcGxbnFFLnIyl_6MYZ2YhEyybYGZdUWuJN3g

Few takeaways from the article is that Silver is stating that the US and China have different cultures and values so for the US free speech is a big thing. Like everyone should be able to say what they like but also be able to be called out for said speech.  As far as the Lakers/Nets game I am going to miss seeing two top teams play each other but some things are more important than a basketball game. With that I will stop there.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 12, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
Anthony Davis left today’s preseason game with a thumb sprain. Lakers are currently getting worked by the Nets. Hopefully Davis can stay healthy this season. Sorry for the shitty, blowout game, China.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
Who wants to bet that Daryl Morey has been uninvited to ALL official and unofficial NBA events, dinners, meetings, mixers, or even conference calls.... because of a single tweet that just potentially cost the league $1B a year in licensing, merchandise, advertising, etc etc

I heard he made his way to China over the weekend to try to smooth this out...
maybe he comes back minus a pinky finger or toe (or is that more Yakuza)
either way, if he actually made the trip, there is no way he doesn't come back with out selling out and [abbr: he gonna get on his knees and "enjoy" what happens to him next]debasing him some in some way[/abbr] for the sake of his job and pockets of the league.
and if that happens... don't be surprised if he comes back "different" in some way.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 12, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
Anthony Davis left today’s preseason game with a thumb sprain. Lakers are currently getting worked by the Nets. Hopefully Davis can stay healthy this season. Sorry for the shitty, blowout game, China.

This is what terrifies me about the Lakers.

The Lakers team looks really good - far better than I had expected when you run down the margins - but they still rely heavily on superstars: one aging and one frequently hurt. Will they be able to keep LeBron and the Brow healthy? How many games will they miss, and when? Eep...

That said, if they are healthy during the playoffs then not much else matters.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 12, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
That’s fair. In Davis’ defense, he sprained his thumb on a regular blocked shot rather than re-aggravating old injury. I didn’t see the play. It’s encouraging that the sprain is considered Grade 1 so he’ll be back in no time. Frank Vogel just pulled LeBron James from the game after that. If the point is to build chemistry between the two, it didn’t make sense to have only one of them out there. I think the Lakers will do a better job of managing James’ minutes this year.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1661 on: October 13, 2019, 12:15:49 AM »
Yeah Vogal has been stressing chemisty between Davis and James and which pieces work next to the two players.  We have seen Rondo and Bradley at point guard thus far but I am wondering if we will see Caruso or Cook for the starting point guard for the 4th and final preseason game.  Also Kuzma was supposed to get a MRI when they got back from China so we will see how he is doing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1662 on: October 13, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »
One other thing is that the Phoenix Suns scored 134 points without Booker, Ayton and Rubio in the lineup versus the Blazers who scored 118 points.  CJ and Dame were in the starting lineup for the Blazers.  Here was the lineup for the Suns.
Jevon Carter, Kelly Oubre Jr, Mikal Bridges, Dario Saric and Aron Banes. 3 players off the bench scored at least 16 points in Kamenski, Cameron Johnson and Tyler Johnson.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 13, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »
Jevon Carter, Kelly Oubre Jr, Mikal Bridges, Dario Saric and Aron Banes. 3 players off the bench scored at least 16 points in Kamenski, Cameron Johnson and Tyler Johnson.

"Preseason doesn't count" caveats aside, I like a lot of those players - or at least I like the potential they have that has only been shown in flashes so far.

I'm not confident in the Suns doing well this year. But they should be interesting to watch and to cheer for!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1664 on: October 13, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »

"Preseason doesn't count" caveats aside, I like a lot of those players - or at least I like the potential they have that has only been shown in flashes so far.

I'm not confident in the Suns doing well this year. But they should be interesting to watch and to cheer for!
I don't think they will make the playoffs but I do think they will win 35 to 37 games this year.  I am going to try and make a game a month and see how they play.  I do already have tickets for the home opener versus Sacramento on the 23rd. It should be fun.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: October 13, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
There will definitely be lots of good, young talent on the floor. Opening night should be a party!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 16, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
Frank Vogel confirmed Anthony Davis is available.

Also, for anyone still following the China/NBA situation, LeBron James is getting dragged for recent comments. This article does a good job of explaining why. It focuses more on the NBA side so I feel okay sharing it. I want no part of the geopolitical stuff.

I just want the season to start already, man.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 16, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
Ugh. I wish the Hong Kong controversy would go away.

That said, it's surprising that LeBron commented at all. I understand he might feel an obligation to say something, as one of the most outspoken and covered individuals in the league... but I still thought he was smart enough to focus on matters where he can control (or at least, affect) the narrative instead of wading into extremely touchy foreign politics.

Is anyone else watching preseason games?  I took the leap into League Pass this year, which might be questionable since I'm from Canada and they block all Raptors games here by default due to local network contracts...

Still, it's awfully nice to have games on demand available again. Even if they are meaningless preseason games with players who won't be on the teams next week. Last year I was focused on "my team". This year, I'm looking forward to watching a couple of different teams to see how young talent around the league is developing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1668 on: October 16, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »
I feel like LeBron can't win either way.    Say that he isn't as knowledgable about a certain issue must mean he is on the side of the oppressors and that he is just about his brand.  If he speaks out about something he gets yelled down at and to just dribble the basketball.   At the same time because he wasn't as informed as he is about his other projects means his other work didn't mean anything.  LeBron can't win.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 16, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
Is anyone else watching preseason games?  I took the leap into League Pass this year, which might be questionable since I'm from Canada and they block all Raptors games here by default due to local network contracts...

I'd like to have seen some of the Jazz's pre-season games, but they perplexingly haven't really been broadcast. Not that I would want to see them, considering how poorly this new Jazz team is coming together so far. With Favors and Crowder gone, the Jazz seem to have no defense whatsoever anymore despite still having Gobert. It's not looking good so far.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1670 on: October 17, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »
I accept that LeBron misspoke on calling the Rockets GM "misinformed" or whatever. But I think what he's really not saying is that the league was in a tough situation with China while he was there . When he mentioned the consequences of saying things, he's probably referring to a reasonable fear for the safety of his teammates, league employees who were there, fans, and his own.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:20 AM »
Good to see Davis back already for the Lakers, and the team look like they are having fun early on.

(Granted, I'm not putting meaning into preseason results, when many teams aren't taking things seriously yet. The only truly important thing is for players to be healthy when the season starts.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:36:52 AM by ejamer »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 18, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
Bradley Beal signed a two-year extension (really a one year extension because the second year is an option he’s absolutely going to decline). Didn’t see this one coming, but it makes sense. First, Beal is easier to trade even though his extension is being billed a commitment to the Wizards. Having that extra year means the Wizards can demand more assets but teams won’t feel as burdened since they’ll at least get an extra guaranteed year. Second, when Beal inevitably declines the second year option, he’ll conveniently be eligible for a 10-year vet max.

Zion Williamson is out for several weeks with a right knee injury. Dude has to get leaner. His athleticism is absurd. What good is that if his knees and eventually his back can’t support the weight. Williamson should be 250 lbs to 260 lbs.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1673 on: October 18, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
To note: this is the same knee injury that was hurt the last time Zion played meaningful basketball, which was at Duke when his sneaker blew apart during a game.  Two back-to-back knee injuries before his first real NBA game is pretty worrying.  Coach Gentry made light of it, but Zion, being 19, is probably not gonna be as bothered by an injury mentally/emotionally as a more experienced player, especially his first one as a professional.  We'll have to wait and see, but I agree that Zion should probably cut weight.  As we saw with Blake Griffin, playing primarily above the rim is bad for the body, and as we saw with Derrick Rose, habitually bad knees are bad for the career.  The extra weight is probably not helping Zion's situation in either regard.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1674 on: October 19, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
Unfortunately Alex Caruso got hurt the last preseason game versus the Warriors with a bone contusion in the pelvis area.  He should be fine and I think he is day to day.  X-Ray came back negative which means there was no fracture but the Lakers will have more tests to make sure there isn't any bone bruise there.

As to how the Lakers played this preseason they played well in most games not in China and in the last game versus the Warriors in the states they rested the most likely starters and played Caruso,Troy Daniels, KCP, Dudley and Devontae Cacok to start the game.  For a good portion of the 1st and 2nd quarter they were up but the rest of the game they were not able to hold back Curry, Dlo and Green in scoring and rebounds.  Dlo and Curry scored 61 points and Dreymond had 12 rebounds.   

I did like the output from the bench for the Lakers. Kostas has 7 points, 6 rebounds and 5 blocks and Zach Norvel Jr had 29 points, 5/10 from three in 38 mins.
Alexis, she/her/Miss