Author Topic: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!  (Read 160640 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!
« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2020, 04:26:57 AM »
The problem I had with Rebels is that it felt too much like a cartoon.  The series just doesn't feel like it is grounded.  Which is frustrating, because some of the stories and characters are interesting and play with the Star Wars Lore in fun and interesting ways, however, stuff like helicopter light saber flying is so silly.  I mean just let them force jump or force fly, but the other is crazy stuff.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 10, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
Just a quick question from all the Star Wars fans on here.

Is this a good video for someone that is not into SW to get caught up so that they can enjoy the newest Star Wars movie for what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY0XbdxJpzA

I haven't watched it yet, but I think it came out either just before or after the previous SW movie.
If this movie is not the one.... then please provide a better one so that I may get an abbreviated summary of Star Wars up till as recent as possible.

Thanks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 11, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
I couldn't stand Rebels. Ezra bugged the ever living hell out of me and based on what I read he never changes. Then there is the obvious "Hidden" Jedi. Oh great the fucking Force. Hot Topic Mandolorian. Noped out around ep3.

Cartoon is one thing, but Rebels was childish. What grains of gold wasn't worth digging up. Cartoons can be intelligent, I rather enjoyed Clone Wars because it has some depth. Anakin and Dooku episodes were terrible though. Obi wan focused, clones focused, no Force episodes were the best.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #528 on: January 11, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Rebels has a few really great episodes and lore, but it was so filled with such bad episodes that it wasn't worth the series...and some of the stuff people have said is the cool stuff is just not.  The new Star Wars Cartoon I couldn't even get through one episode it looked and felt that bad.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 11, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »
I couldn't stand Rebels. Ezra bugged the ever living hell out of me and based on what I read he never changes. Then there is the obvious "Hidden" Jedi. Oh great the fucking Force. Hot Topic Mandolorian. Noped out around ep3.

He certainly does improve.  Ironically I found him to be by far the least interesting character and have no interest in seeing what happened after the show's conclusion.  But all the other members of the team more than make up for his initial irritating disposition.  I adore every single other character.

Now that I'm done with it I enjoyed it more than Clone Wars, and I loved Clone Wars far more than I expected to.  That's largely due to the setting I think.  I've always found the OT time period far more interesting than the PT/Clone Wars period.  I'd certainly be up for the rumoured new season that's coming.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
I think the PT/Clone Wars period made a mistake of having it too close together with the OT. 

The idea that Jedi's highest most respected period and their fall and galaxy that thinks they are a forgot relic of a religion is too short.  It really hurt the story.  The Prequel Series should have been about the clone war and the rise of the Empire, but it should not have been about the origin of Darth Vader.  Or at least if it was, they could have just let people live much longer lives in this universe and had it take place 100 to 150 years in the past. 

However, that said, I do like the world of the PT trilogy.  I like the idea of the Jedi being elite generals protecting the galaxy, and this dark force lurking in the shadows manipulating events and politics for the benefits.  The struggle of how to bring order to the world in a good way with peace and order, or the dark side of chaos, fear, control and order is an interesting world. 

George Lucas didn't do a great job of portraying it, however, it wasn't horrible. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
The idea that Jedi's highest most respected period and their fall and galaxy that thinks they are a forgot relic of a religion is too short.  It really hurt the story.
To me, the issue was making the Jedi Order so large and pervasive. If the Jedi Order was far smaller, more inclusive, more hermitic, it would be easier to explain why so many people haven’t seen or heard of Jedi and why those who have consider them a relic of the past.
The Prequel Series should have been about the clone war and the rise of the Empire, but it should not have been about the origin of Darth Vader.  Or at least if it was, they could have just let people live much longer lives in this universe and had it take place 100 to 150 years in the past.
If people lived longer, would it really change how people remember things?

The Prequel Trilogy absolutely needed to be about the origin of Darth Vader because the fall of Anakin Skywalker directly correlated to the rise of the Empire and tracks well with why Darth Vader’s redemption is so important to the original trilogy.

The first thing I would change about the Prequel Trilogy is Anakin Skywalker should NOT have been the protagonist. It should have been told from Obi-Wan Kenobi’s perspective. The point of view of the protagonist changes the way a story is told. From Kenobi’s point of view, the Jedi are the ultimate good in the galaxy, can do no wrong, and the Sith are the ultimate evil. That would contrast the perspective of Luke, the protagonist of the next chronological trilogy: the Jedi are good yet fallible. Luke’s opinion of his masters is they’re wrong about his father (and he was proven right).

The two old Jedi Masters in the Original Trilogy (Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda) are dicks when you really think about it “Hey, murder your deadbeat dad who we lied to you about. We’re the good guys. LOL.†And that could have contrasted with where the Sequel Trilogy seemed to be headed before Rise of Skywalker: the Sith AND the Jedi were misguided and overall terrible for the galaxy, but the Jedi ultimately survive because of their willingness to adapt and change. The path forward was finding true balance in the Force.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:09:56 PM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
Mega-bump!

Unless something goes horribly wrong in the very last episode, the Clone Wars finale will go down as THE best Star Wars content we've ever gotten. It's so good.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 04, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »
So today's May the 4th but I have nothing Star Wars related to do because by coincidence my brother and I watched the original trilogy over the last three weekends.  Though he pointed something out about Return of the Jedi that doesn't make much sense.

What is the whole point of Leia being Luke's sister?  Like from a storytelling perspective what does this contribute to the movie particularly since at the time this was the final film in a trilogy and I don't think they were planning anything else?  Leia does nothing of significance related to that other than saying "I can feel it" at the end.  Vader mentioning his sister causes Luke to go bezerk in their lightsaber duel but it is really not needed in the movie at all.  Leia is the backup if Luke fails but Luke doesn't fail so it serves no purpose.  What it does accomplish is make Leia kissing Luke in Empire come across as creepy after the fact.  My guess is they threw that "there is another" thing in Empire with no real plans and then had to pay it off in Jedi despite it not contributing to the plot in any real way.

Hell it isn't really much of a mystery to Luke.  Yoda tells him there is another and then dies and then 10 seconds later Luke talks to Obi-Wan who reveals his sister.  As a kid when I would demand instant gratification at all times I didn't notice this but as an adult it's pretty lame.  Like Luke trying to figure out who Yoda was talking about could have had a chance to build up throughout the film for a dramatic pay off but they just reveal it instantly.  Contrast this with Luke's father who is referenced throughout two movies before the ultimate pay off.

I always loved Return of the Jedi as a kid because it had lots of exciting action scenes and it paid off all the plot threads but as an adult it's flaws are much more obvious.  It's still a good film and thus the whole original trilogy works but it has some issues and I say this as someone that has no problems with the Ewoks.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 04, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »
Taika Waititi just LEVELED UP, again!!!

https://t.co/o3Exz8ndy9

From small indie director, to MCU and now Star Wars.
Interested to see how this turns out.

the woman mentioned (and pictured on the left) was the writer for the movie 1917

the woman on the right"
"In addition, Emmy®-nominated writer Leslye Headland (Russian Doll, Bachelorette) is currently developing a new untitled Star Wars series for Disney+. Headland will write, executive produce, and serve as showrunner for the series"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:56:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
What is the whole point of Leia being Luke's sister?  Like from a storytelling perspective what does this contribute to the movie particularly since at the time this was the final film in a trilogy and I don't think they were planning anything else?  Leia does nothing of significance related to that other than saying "I can feel it" at the end.  Vader mentioning his sister causes Luke to go bezerk in their lightsaber duel but it is really not needed in the movie at all.  Leia is the backup if Luke fails but Luke doesn't fail so it serves no purpose.  What it does accomplish is make Leia kissing Luke in Empire come across as creepy after the fact.  My guess is they threw that "there is another" thing in Empire with no real plans and then had to pay it off in Jedi despite it not contributing to the plot in any real way.

Hell it isn't really much of a mystery to Luke.  Yoda tells him there is another and then dies and then 10 seconds later Luke talks to Obi-Wan who reveals his sister.  As a kid when I would demand instant gratification at all times I didn't notice this but as an adult it's pretty lame.  Like Luke trying to figure out who Yoda was talking about could have had a chance to build up throughout the film for a dramatic pay off but they just reveal it instantly.  Contrast this with Luke's father who is referenced throughout two movies before the ultimate pay off.

I don't really see the problem. 

In RotJ, the sibling "reveal" doesn't contribute much... but really it was a intended more as a plot device for TESB - altering some character relationships a little bit, giving an easy way to find and recover Luke on Cloud City, and building a sense of awe at how one family could become so entwined in opposing sides of interstellar politics. Having the whole Skywalker family created a sense of destiny to the original trilogy for me, and even though if Leia is the "least important" part of that having her be related to Luke didn't seem to create problems.

That said, I've never really felt like storytelling was the strong point for Star Wars. The early movies were fun, and consistent enough that any story flaws never got in the way of the adventure. But they were still family friendly sci-fi/action blockbuster movies first and foremost, not literary masterpieces.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 08, 2020, 05:04:16 PM »
Some Mandalorian S2 news now:

*sigh*

They couldn't help themselves.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mandalorian-finds-boba-fett-temuera-morrison-1293675

They just had to go and bring Fett into it. I'm really disappointed, not really surprised though. I just don't understand the love for this character. He was in the original movies for all of five minutes, did nothing at all interesting or awesome and ended up being defeated by a blind guy who accidentally bumped into him. Why is he so beloved? Why? If anything he would apparently be the kind of person who'd be bumped off at the hands of Jar Jar Binks.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #537 on: May 09, 2020, 12:05:46 AM »
Boba Felt looked cool.  Had a cool job, and he also fought the first Jedi we ever fell in love with, and captured Han Solo.  Yes, he didn't do much, but he was cool...and that is all that matters.  The problem is, rarely do characters ever live up to our own built up hype for them.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 11, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
Hopefully it is just a cameo if it is the real one. I just want them to acknowledge that he survived the Sarlac like in legends.

There are some people theorizing that it is actually a red herring and not the real Boba Fett. But that could be even more insulting to some folks. I'll just have faith that Favreou and Filoni know what they are doing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 11, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
A part of me kind of wants to see him somehow fall back into the sarlaac pit at the end of every episode he's in.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 12, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
The Sarlaac is just such an interesting character in the Legends short story where Boba Fett escapes. If anything, I want Boba Fett's conversations with the the Sarlaac, a millennia-old sentience, made canon...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #541 on: May 12, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
The other mandalorians were hiding in a cave and probably went and found another cave to hide in.  I suspect that our protag might have some questions for Boba Fett since he'd be the one other living on the outside.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
Boba Fett wouldn't have so many problems if he could find someone to cook him some eggs.

Bad feelings about season 2 now that the executives have their eyes on it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?