Author Topic: USB Multi-Charging...  (Read 4838 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
USB Multi-Charging...
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
So, here's a technical question that is outside my know-how.

Would it be possible to create a USB cable that splits off into four smaller cables and each one charges a 3DS/3DSXL?  Can a singular USB cable/port carry enough of a charge and do so without risking damage to the DS unit?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: USB Multi-Charging...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:01:52 PM »
A 3DS charger outputs 4.6v at 900mA, so 4 of them would need 4.6v x 3.6A. I think the most that USB 3.0 can output is 5v at 1.5A (specifically for charging batteries) so unless you use a powered hub it won't work, or at least not work very well. You could try using 2 cables and splitting each one, but even then it's probably not enough power (again, unless it's a powered hub). You could always try something instead of USB though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:16 PM »
What I'm wanting is to design a case that someone could put together for me - the thought would be, for now, at least three pockets, one for each of my 3DS systems.  Something similar to the Guitar Hero On Tour-branded DS case I'm currently using:

http://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/9/7/4/1/700x700/0617885946974/rw/guitar-hero-on-tour-old-leather-case-accessoire.jpg

Except, of course, a pair of pockets on each flap.

Anyway, I was thinking the cord would stay inside the case and I could leave the systems plugged into this cord.  Then, either have some kind of port on the outside of the case that I can plug into when I get home/to the office or (even better) to have a USB cord sticking out of the case (that can be tucked into a pocket on the outside) that could be plugged in virtually anywhere.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:47:43 AM »
Not sure if that helps but i have a cable that splits into 3DS and DS Lite connectors. It works fine.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
So wait...
Do you want a case that will hold, for the sake of extremes, four 3DSXL and be able to plug in the case to charge them?

IF that is the case then What I do is get a Powered USB Hub mount that at the bottom or top of the bag.  Then have a little flap where the the plug for the Powered USB Hub would be at.  I have a little pouch by that for the AC Adapter to travel.  At that point I make my four 3DS pouches.  2 on each side of the bag with a master center bag for cable access and to slide in a game holder, about the size of a notebook.  At that point I take the USB Cables though the middle bag area down to the Powered Hub then I have a little hole on the inside into each pouch for the cord to go into where the 3DS will be.  I take a flap of Fabric and with velcro on the inner bag to cover the cords and the holes keeping them in place and out of trouble.  On of the additional benefits to this design is that when the next device comes out as long as its not bigger then a 3DS XL it just be a matter of swapping out cords.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:44:59 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:22:20 AM »
Oh yeah, just get the universal charger from GameStop (four of them). That might be what azeke has (my daughter has one). It does the DS, DS Lite and DSi/DSiXL/3DS/3DSXL and the other end is a standard USB "A" connection. I think they're like $8, you can probably find them cheaper online. I don't see them on GameStop's website but they have them in the stores. Anyway, just toss the power adapter aside and use the cables with a powered USB hub and you're good to go, you can even cut off the unused connections. and just cover it with a piece of heat shrink tubing or something.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:24:14 AM »
Even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Cable-Nintendo-3DS-DSi-XL/dp/B0024ZT3XO $1.75 for DSi/3DS family to USB, can't beat that (without scrolling past the first hit on a "3ds usb charger" google search).