Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187855 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
If a president wants to be presidential and bring hope to the masses of worried individuals around the world, he can simply state that they are working on many different treatments and have found some that are promising that are currently going through testing.

To irresponsibly start naming drugs as good treatments, when that has not yet been proven as such and also stating that it has been approved as it is already available, is not only stupid, but highly irresponsible. It has led to may hospitals around the world not only treating the virus, but also overdoses/poisoning from people taking the supposed treatment that was touted as approved and available now.

I'm not gonna dig up videos of him touting such, but will just provide a link, and just for semantics (cure/treatment, same difference) here

the effect being the the desperate and very uninformed now look for this cure/treatment that is "available" and the manipulative opportunist start using that info to make money and push product.
All things that wouldn't have happened under actual responsible and accountable leadership. here.

but we don't need to focus on that.

As for the GM thing.... bullied not bullied, it's something he should've enacted the minute it was decided the plants were being shut down and the products were needed. He shouldn't have waited an additional 1.5 weeks to do it. Everything about this crisis is being mishandled. And that article  goes back to show someone showing the same behavior that led him to being impeached in the first place.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
And now they considering locking down New York State as a whole.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

Rhode Island police already hunting down New York escapees to send them back to QUARANTINE!!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/rhode-island-police-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge

This is getting comical in the darkest of humor ways.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
Also pathological marketing is a problem. It's best to state the facts without going into 2 minute marketing spasms. Any drugs you take you should consult a physician. There's no need to take one instance of something you heard offhand and pivot on it because "you got a feeling" The study he was talking about was like 20 people. You can't do percentage math on 20.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »
One day.... the movie/limited-series* on this whole previous 3+ years is going to me AMAZING

I wonder how all the corporate bailouts will be handled :rolleyes:

*it will be 6 seasons and a movie, each season more ridiculous than the last.....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »
On a different note, back with the Florida stuff, we're at nearly 4k cases. That said, almost half of all our cases are in two counties at one end of the state. My impression based on local things I've seen, these two counties get a lot of traffic from New York, and I believe it's suspected that many of the cases came from people fleeing New York just a little too late or via plane, getting exposed. If I had access to legacy numbers, I'd like to track our spread and growth of cases over the last two weeks. It seems like a lot, but it also feels like it's going slower in all counties but those two than were expected.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
On a different note, back with the Florida stuff, we're at nearly 4k cases. That said, almost half of all our cases are in two counties at one end of the state. My impression based on local things I've seen, these two counties get a lot of traffic from New York, and I believe it's suspected that many of the cases came from people fleeing New York just a little too late or via plane, getting exposed. If I had access to legacy numbers, I'd like to track our spread and growth of cases over the last two weeks. It seems like a lot, but it also feels like it's going slower in all counties but those two than were expected.

Indeed. I'm in the Orlando area, and the whole thing is more a mild nuisance than a crisis. We had a run on the grocery stores, but since the stores restocked & imposed harsh limits things have been fairly manageable. If it weren't for the occasional person in a mask and the lighter-than-usual traffic, you wouldn't think anything was going on.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »
So our local news here is AZ reported that it is last in the nation for testing.  It is pretty bad here in AZ. The health official that is dealing with this crisis here has said that because there is so few test kits here that doctors should stop testing and that is wreckless. It has gotten worse and worse each day our cases of confirmed cases of COVID-19.   Our Governor wants to keep health spas, massage parlors and many similar establishments to remain open at this time.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/elviadiaz/2020/03/27/arizona-ranks-last-nation-covid-19-tests-outrageous/2929152001/?fbclid=IwAR1DA0L2iTqlyuTc2WiIBt_W_KKDaTc7oEVpDbJAyR1q3snIG3dx5USnkc4

On the plus side there is a new FDA confirmed test kit that is quicker than most other kits. Tests get done is about 5 minutes and a negative result with show up in about 14 minutes and it is about the size of a toaster.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/28/coronavirus-fda-authorizes-abbott-labs-fast-portable-covid-test/2932766001/
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 02:39:47 AM »
Why is less testing reckless? I've been seeing a lot of this close to the front lines. If we're following guidelines issued by the CDC, we should be avoiding most situations where we could spread the virus. If we have symptoms of the virus, we should be self-quarantining. If we have the flu, we should be self-quarantining at home to get better. The only situation where a test is directly relevant to safety is when it comes to diagnosis and subsequent treatment for those with severe medical issues. The point is, knowing you've caught COVID-19 vs. having all the symptoms and not having it confirmed is mostly pointless. A very small number of sites do have drive-through testing, but even that is only for those with symptoms, and are often by appointment only. From a public safety standpoint, tests in those who do not need advanced medical care is also potentially problematic; It's believed those who test negative are more likely to place themselves in situations where they are susceptible to exposure compared to those who aren't tested at all.

I can also say with confidence, at least in Florida, that the problem isn't really with test kits per say, but actually collection kits. Basically, the swabs, vial, and bag that are used to collect a sample. Doctors and the health department here are just about out, and due to massive, continued worldwide demand, there hasn't been much capability to replenish them. In addition, I'm hearing from sources at the state level, most supplies Florida thought they had secured and were expecting were rerouted to New York. In fact, I'd wager that if you're disappointed in your state's response in general, a portion of the problem is that the spread has been so rapid and at such a pace in NY that most states are having experiencing setbacks to inititial plans because New York is receiving supplies initially allocated for other states.

All that said, I don't know your AZ's situation at all. Our governor basically shut everything down a week ago, after having already shut most things mostly down. There's been a lot of criticism about the beaches, but my understanding is the beach problem is more a matter of enforcement, which is why it's being left to individual counties to decide if they are capable and have the manpower to close the beach.

A fun thing I just saw was that NY's governor was being grilled about why ventilators are being held in storage. Gov. Cuomo got flustered and tried to explain they were being staged for when and where they would be needed. He did an awful job at explaining this, but he's not incorrect in any way. I've said NY has "taken" a lot of our supplies, but that's sort of the way it's supposed to work. If NY is hit harder, it makes sense for their governor to appeal to requisition more necessary supplies, and it also makes sense to project out an increasing number of cases based on what we've seen with this. I know Cuomo has complained about what he's received and what NY has, but it's effectively a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation. Squeaking is what he should be doing right now. What I hope is that fewer other states get into situations where they have to start "squeaking," too.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »
Why is less testing reckless?

Reason why it is wreckless is because of the uncertanty of who has it and who could potentually pass it on to someone else without realizing it.  Yes folks are supposed to be staying inside and all that comes with that but the problem is that not everyone is here in AZ and there is certain essental services from our Governor's executive order which is allowing the virus to spread more and more so when someone has to go out for something that is absolutely necessary then there is a chance that they can catch the virus or if they unknowingly have it and go out then that can spread things even more.  If we had more testing we can know which area of a state has it so we are better informed so as to not go in areas where the virus is more focused and maybe people in this state will actually use some common sense and not go out and infect other people or get infected.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
The snowbirds has made this worse than it would be too. AZ is filled with older people from the Northern states and Canada. When I was at Wal-mart on March 12 around the time **** hit the fan. My friend was telling me his neighbor died(of cancer) and her house was packed with snowbirds at her estate auction.

Apparently they've been rushing home. So there'll probably be a big wave over in Canada, which will probably feed into a wave 2.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
The snowbirds has made this worse than it would be too. AZ is filled with older people from the Northern states and Canada. When I was at Wal-mart on March 12 around the time **** hit the fan. My friend was telling me his neighbor died(of cancer) and her house was packed with snowbirds at her estate auction.

Apparently they've been rushing home. So there'll probably be a big wave over in Canada, which will probably feed into a wave 2.

You know I didn't even think about that till now. For those that don't know the term. Snowbirds is typically folks coming down to the Phoenix metro area from Flagstaff and northern AZ in the winter months and staying here until summer time around May and then they go back up to northern AZ to avoid the 120 degree summers here in metro Phoenix.  That can make this situation worse than it is.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

Yep, as someone who lives in Wisconsin and works in retail Optical, many of the customers I sell to go to either Arizona or Florida for the winter then come back to Wisconsin for Spring.  Now the place I work is currently closed until April 6th, but I hope they'll extend it.

Seriously, all it will take is one of these snowbirds coming into the store on a day it's busy and that **** will spread like wildfire.  Doesn't help that the store is normally packed on a regular weekend, but with the 2 week closer, there's a ton of people who were expecting there glasses during this time that will probably come rushing back.

It also doesn't help that the few days before the store was closed and we were telling customers it would be closed, the people who got the angriest were the most elderly.  Literally the people who would be at the greatest risk for this virus were the ones thinking we were overacting by closing the store for at least 2 weeks.  I mean this is why there needs to be a nationwide lockdown because a lot of people will ignore the warnings unless they're forced to, even those most at risk which is going to make this much worse then it should have been.  It doesn't matter if 49 states have strict measures in place, it just takes the one that doesn't follow them to make the crisis explode again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »
Maybe the stores need to have a temporary max occupancy put in place to limit the amount of shoppers in the store at any given time.

Like what BestBuy was doing before they closed off to interior shoppers all together.

edit:
and a minor celeb death announced
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/country-music-star-joe-diffie-dies-coronavirus-61-n1171666
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:56:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 09:55:59 PM »
You can add one half of Kato-chan and Ken-chan to the list according to NHK (Japanese link, obviously).

RIP Ken-chan.

Regarding the snowbirds (who are also coming up from Florida as well): they have to self-isolate immediately upon returning to Canada and are getting routed to one of four airports that have enhanced testing capabilities.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »
I don't really have any objective words to say at this point....
but due to lack of response for over 2 months, and even after the tepid response after the first wave hit, I guess only 100k-200k American deaths would be considered a victory according to the one who would pat himself on the back over how this has been handled so far.....

the real meat to this is that we haven't gotten anywhere near the peak of this yet if that projection is to be believed... and that's probably an understatement of what's actually expected.

I don't have the most up to date numbers, but just last week we were at what, 86k infected?
Now we're projecting 100k-200k deaths!? and that's at what.... 5% death to infection rate!? holy **** are we in for a ride here....

If only there were some projections, plans, and professionals in place to help advise the decision makers in the world in how to handle such a situation.... smfh
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:46:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »
Wow, history could've been vastly different today if a company called Covidien didn't monopolize the ventilator industry and fucked us over because "it was not sufficiently profitable for the company".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html
The U.S. Tried to Build a New Fleet of Ventilators a Decade Ago. The Mission Failed.

Thirteen years ago, a group of U.S. public health officials came up with a plan to address what they regarded as one of the medical system’s crucial vulnerabilities: a shortage of ventilators.
The breathing-assistance machines tended to be bulky, expensive and limited in number. The plan was to build a large fleet of inexpensive portable devices to deploy in a flu pandemic or another crisis.
Money was budgeted. A federal contract was signed. Work got underway.

And then things suddenly veered off course. A multibillion-dollar maker of medical devices bought the small California company that had been hired to design the new machines. The project ultimately produced zero ventilators.
That failure delayed the development of an affordable ventilator by at least half a decade, depriving hospitals, states and the federal government of the ability to stock up. The federal government started over with another company in 2014, whose ventilator was approved only last year and whose products have not yet been delivered.

“We definitely saw the problem,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, who ran the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2009 to 2017. “We innovated to try and get a solution. We made really good progress, but it doesn’t appear to have resulted in the volume that we needed.”
The project — code-named Aura — came in the wake of a parade of near-miss pandemics: SARS, MERS, bird flu and swine flu.
Federal officials decided to re-evaluate their strategy for the next public health emergency. They considered vaccines, antiviral drugs, protective gear and ventilators, the last line of defense for patients suffering respiratory failure. The federal government’s Strategic National Stockpile had full-service ventilators in its warehouses, but not in the quantities that would be needed to combat a major pandemic.

In 2006, the Department of Health and Human Services established a new division, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, with a mandate to prepare medical responses to chemical, biological and nuclear attacks, as well as infectious diseases.
In its first year in operation, the research agency considered how to expand the number of ventilators. It estimated that an additional 70,000 machines would be required in a moderate influenza pandemic.
The ventilators in the national stockpile were not ideal. In addition to being big and expensive, they required a lot of training to use. The research agency convened a panel of experts in November 2007 to devise a set of requirements for a new generation of mobile, easy-to-use ventilators.
In 2008, the government requested proposals from companies that were interested in designing and building the ventilators.
The goal was for the machines to be approved by regulators for mass development by 2010 or 2011, according to budget documents that the Department of Health and Human Services submitted to Congress in 2008. After that, the government would buy as many as 40,000 new ventilators and add them to the national stockpile.
The ventilators were to cost less than $3,000 each. The lower the price, the more machines the government would be able to buy.
Companies submitted bids for the Project Aura job. The research agency opted not to go with a large, established device maker. Instead it chose Newport Medical Instruments, a small outfit in Costa Mesa, Calif.
Newport, which was owned by a Japanese medical device company, only made ventilators. Being a small, nimble company, Newport executives said, would help it efficiently fulfill the government’s needs.

Ventilators at the time typically went for about $10,000 each, and getting the price down to $3,000 would be tough. But Newport’s executives bet they would be able to make up for any losses by selling the ventilators around the world.
“It would be very prestigious to be recognized as a supplier to the federal government,” said Richard Crawford, who was Newport’s head of research and development at the time. “We thought the international market would be strong, and there is where Newport would have a good profit on the product.”
Federal officials were pleased. In addition to replenishing the national stockpile, “we also thought they’d be so attractive that the commercial market would want to buy them, too,” said Nicole Lurie, who was then the assistant secretary for preparedness and response inside the Department of Health and Human Services. With luck, the new generation of ventilators would become ubiquitous, helping hospitals nationwide better prepare for a crisis.
The contract was officially awarded a few months after the H1N1 outbreak, which the C.D.C. estimated infected 60 million and killed 12,000 in the United States, began to taper off in 2010. The contract called for Newport to receive $6.1 million upfront, with the expectation that the government would pay millions more as it bought thousands of machines to fortify the stockpile.
Project Aura was Newport’s first job for the federal government. Things moved quickly and smoothly, employees and federal officials said in interviews.

Every three months, officials with the biomedical research agency would visit Newport’s headquarters. Mr. Crawford submitted monthly reports detailing the company’s spending and progress.
The federal officials “would check everything,” he said. “If we said we were buying equipment, they would want to know what it was used for. There were scheduled visits, scheduled requirements and deliverables each month.”
In 2011, Newport shipped three working prototypes from the company’s California plant to Washington for federal officials to review.
Dr. Frieden, who ran the C.D.C. at the time, got a demonstration in a small conference room attached to his office. “I got all excited,” he said. “It was a multiyear effort that had resulted in something that was going to be really useful.”
In April 2012, a senior Health and Human Services official testified before Congress that the program was “on schedule to file for market approval in September 2013.” After that, the machines would go into production.
Then everything changed.
The medical device industry was undergoing rapid consolidation, with one company after another merging with or acquiring other makers. Manufacturers wanted to pitch themselves as one-stop shops for hospitals, which were getting bigger, and that meant offering a broader suite of products. In May 2012, Covidien, a large medical device manufacturer, agreed to buy Newport for just over $100 million.
Covidien — a publicly traded company with sales of $12 billion that year — already sold traditional ventilators, but that was only a small part of its multifaceted businesses. In 2012 alone, Covidien bought five other medical device companies, in addition to Newport.
Newport executives and government officials working on the ventilator contract said they immediately noticed a change when Covidien took over. Developing inexpensive portable ventilators no longer seemed like a top priority.

Newport applied in June 2012 for clearance from the Food and Drug Administration to market the device, but two former federal officials said Covidien had demanded additional funding and a higher sales price for the ventilators. The government gave the company an additional $1.4 million, a drop in the bucket for a company Covidien’s size.
Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business.
Some Newport executives who worked on the project were reassigned to other roles. Others decided to leave the company.
“Up until the time the company sold, I was really happy and excited about the project,” said Hong-Lin Du, Newport’s president at the time of its sale. “Then I was assigned to a different job.”
In 2014, with no ventilators having been delivered to the government, Covidien executives told officials at the biomedical research agency that they wanted to get out of the contract, according to three former federal officials. The executives complained that it was not sufficiently profitable for the company.
The government agreed to cancel the contract. The world was focused at the time on the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. The research agency started over, awarding a new contract for $13.8 million to the giant Dutch company Philips. In 2015, Covidien was sold for $50 billion to another huge medical device company, Medtronic. Charles J. Dockendorff, Covidien’s former chief financial officer, said he did not know why the contract had fallen apart. “I am not aware of that issue,” he said in a text message.
Robert J. White, president of the minimally invasive therapies group at Medtronic who worked at Covidien during the Newport acquisition, initially said he had no recollection of the Project Aura contract. A Medtronic spokeswoman later said that Mr. White was under the impression that the contract had been winding down before Covidien bought Newport.
In a statement Sunday night, after the article was published, Medtronic said, “The prototype ventilator, developed by Newport Medical, would not have been able to meet the specifications required by the government, nor at the price required.” Medtronic said that one problem was that the machine was not going to be usable with newborns.

It wasn’t until last July that the F.D.A. signed off on the new Philips ventilator, the Trilogy Evo. The government ordered 10,000 units in December, setting a delivery date in mid-2020.
As the extent of the spread of the new coronavirus in the United States became clear, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, revealed on March 15 that the stockpile had 12,700 ventilators ready to deploy. The government has since sped up maintenance to increase the number available to 16,660 — still fewer than a quarter of what officials years earlier had estimated would be required in a moderate flu pandemic.
Last week, the Health and Human Services Department contacted ventilator makers to see how soon they could produce thousands of machines. And it began pressing Philips to speed up its planned shipments.
The stockpile is “still awaiting delivery of the Trilogy Evo,” a Health and Human Services spokeswoman said. “We do not currently have any in inventory, though we are expecting them soon.”
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:50:50 PM by stevey »
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2020, 12:24:52 AM »
Wouldn't it just be a shame.....

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-worried-about-legal-action-after-misleading-viewers-about-coronavirus

Say what you want about the majority of the media, but when it comes to spin and misdirection there has been no worse offender than Faux News. So if this gets them back on the path of reporting the news instead of spinning the news, then by all means, carry on.

It's a shame that it takes the fear of getting sued to oblivion and back for the largest "news" station in the US to see the error in it's ways, but this is unfortunately the timeline we currently live in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:32:21 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2020, 12:52:00 AM »
Would it just be a shame.....

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-worried-about-legal-action-after-misleading-viewers-about-coronavirus

Say what you want about the majority of the media, but when it comes to spin and misdirection there has been no worse offender than Faux News. So if this gets them back on the path of reporting the news instead of spinning the news, then by all means, carry on.

It's a shame that it takes the fear of getting sued to oblivion and back for the largest "news" station in the US to see the error in it's ways, but this is unfortunately the timeline we currently live in.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the reason so many of the most at risk elderly I was talking about early were acting like this virus wasn't a big deal is because of the crap they saw on Fox news.  I mean, after telling me that it wasn't a big deal I would usually say, "well the doctors say it's more dangerous then the usual flu" and they would just roll their eyes or say it's an overreaction by the media.

When many of the older customers are usually more conservative, it's not hard to put 2+2 together to see where they got their news from and why they're not as concerned as they should be.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
Coronavirus III: John Oliver's Last Week Tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElIf2DBrWzU&feature=emb_title

I feel this is a good voice of clarity (with a sense of humor) on the situation. He points out some of the same issues I've had with this entire situation we're all in right now. Some of it I've shared in this thread, but it's best if you just let him explain.

and some prior episodes on the same topic if you want to see the progression.

Coronavirus II: 3/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElIf2DBrWzU

Coronavirus I: 3/01/2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09m5f7Gnic

edit:
First sitting lawmaker/representative dies from a virus:
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/obituaries/state-rep-isaac-robinson-dies-suspected-coronavirus-infection
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:59:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the reason so many of the most at risk elderly I was talking about early were acting like this virus wasn't a big deal is because of the crap they saw on Fox news.  ...

I saw one poll where they made a statistically significant correlation between watching Fox News and either downplaying or outright ignoring the COVID-19 threat... however, that poll came from a liberal-leaning source. So even though it seems like an obvious connection, and reported poll numbers seem to confirm the idea, I can't vouch for how fair the polling process actually was.

Unfortunately, reporting on just the news and relying on actual facts instead of mixing in opinions for entertainment value is a bit of a lost art. :(
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »
My parents are not downplaying the virus but they don't appear to quite get all the details of what social distancing is.  Typically on Friday after work my brother and I go to our parents' place to have dinner with Dad.  Mom visits her father on that evening so we're keeping Dad company.  On Friday my Dad phones me.  "Are you guys coming?"  "No!  Of course not! I thought it was assumed we wouldn't."  "I assumed the opposite actually."  "Haven't you been watching the news?  Why would we come by?!"

It's like for some reason we're the exception.  My Mom isn't visiting her father, and the church is closed, and their curling club has suspended the season, and our youngest brother who lives with them is now working from home but it's okay for my brother and I to visit?  I work at home so odds are I'm fine but my brother does deliveries and is routinely all over the place, including cities in the area that have been hit harder by the virus.  It's like they don't quite understand that the virus doesn't make exceptions for things you deem especially important.  Us being close family does not provide some sort of immunity.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
I feel you.

I have a female friend, whose daughter is good friends with my daughter, and she keeps trying to invite me to hang out or our daughters to hang out, and this most recent time was to hang out at her clients house who's baby she used to watch. and this is after visiting her other daughters house, and nieces house, and minor social gatherings with other close family....

she swears she's been "social distancing" and self-isolating and not sick and etc etc.
but just read the first paragraph again. LOL

Obviously I politely declined and reminded her of why I initially started social distancing myself from her specifically to begin with. It's like she's not aware that exceptions are not made for friends and family just because "YOU" stayed away from direct contact with strangers.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2020, 02:27:25 PM »
Well here in AZ we are over 1000 cases. 20 have died. The past two days have seen a steady increase of cases. It is going to get worse before it gets better here in Arizona.

As for me I am sick again after not being sick for the past few days. Last night I started coughing heavily and deeply and currently today around my lips they feel really it's a weird sensation because they feel chapped as far as like the texture of my lips are like really watery so I have no idea what that is I've been sneezing a little bit this morning and coughing some so I have water and cough drops for now. I can't really buy anything else till the 1st which is in a few days cuz being a low income person sucks.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
Well finally our Governor issued a stay at home order. It goes into effect tomorrow at 5pm.

Details are scarce as this was just announced but the few details we do have are this...

We can use essental services like the ones I listed up above but if stopped by the police or government officials of that you are using essental services.   So basically nothing really changes for me because I am really only going out for food, my meds, bills and to a store if something goes wrong and makes the home unlivable and it needs to be corrected.  Other than those I am staying inside.

https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news/2020/03/new-executive-order-stay-home-stay-healthy-stay-connected?fbclid=IwAR2s9nmM6L9GyybiDAzhjZ6kUp6O2kGSQeVU2FK1omN7r5_qO_TlJXmDwd8

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:43:08 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
How dare all of these Hospitals in New York try to hoard all these face masks. Who do they think they are? Medical facilities*that provide care for millions of people?