Author Topic: Real Talk: Recent Bannings  (Read 13442 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Real Talk: Recent Bannings
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
Ceric and Super - thanks for chiming in.  And I'm not just saying that because you agree with my decisions (in each independent situation).  It's not often that we make a moderation call and someone unrelated is willing to step in and comment on the situation - and the feedback is good.

Fatty - thanks for posting those emails.  I wanted too, but since they were private messages, I didn't feel right just taking it upon myself to do.

Super - regarding clarity in moderation - I cannot (and will not) speak for anyone else, but I will say, ever since I figured out that when you send a warning, it doesn't attach your name to it, I've always made a habit of trying to attach my name to any warnings I send out.  Tied to that, I've always tried to answer questions via PM, email, or even Twitter whenever possible.  Heck, one unnamed poster even had his entire warning overturned after contacting me and pointing out that I was wrong (see, I can admit when I'm wrong!).

I fully understand why some moderators wish for their actions to remain anonymous - but it's not something I, personally, do.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »
So, Doctor Video Games was a response to the ban extension, not vice-versa.

Quick comment about this - while this account may have been created after the ban extension (I can't seem to see anything in the logs showing who/when your ban was actually extended), by your own admission, the extension happened *after* you created two other accounts to circumvent the original ban.

Again, I cannot say if that is the reason for the extension, but, IMHO, it is a perfectly reasonable one.

I will also state that the person who axed the second duplicate account was different than the person who axed the first account and banned your primary account.  It is highly possible that, after talking it over on the private staff forum that I'm not privy to (or via PM at some point), the two individuals involved in axing your alts realized that you where making repeat efforts to circumvent your ban and the decision was made after that point.

Again - just guessing, but if that's how it played out, it's not an unreasonable action at all.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
I came into this protest fully aware of the repercussions. The punishment was proportional to the damage done. No complaints from me on that account.

However the lack of of transparency in the system is problematic. SUPER did mess with the wrong thread and he did get punished for that, fair enough. But the unexplained extension was not cool. Anonymity for the mods is unnecessary especially when their actions is invisible to other mods. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if the mods could police each other. It not like we are going to go on a hate campaign to drive somebody nuts *Cough*.

It was pretty funny and he paid the price for his comedy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »
Just a heads up - I'm a pretty low-level mod.  It's quite possible that one of the other mods/admins can see more information than I can.

Offline Tlon

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:08 AM »
I apologize if I have offended the mods, was not the intention at all, and for the unintentional and bewildering mess to the talkback thread.
"hlör u fang axaxaxas mlö"