Author Topic: Ty's 5-ish point plan for improving the hell out of the forum  (Read 11790 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Ty's 5-ish point plan for improving the hell out of the forum
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »
Hi, you guys might remember me from the previous implementation of every good idea and policy on the forum ever. Maybe also my incorrigible smugness. I have a plan to spit shine the forum, and make it awesome instead of just kind of okay.

Moderator policy

Watch the Lowtax speech from 2005:
It's mostly just comedy, but listen very carefully to the part where he actually talks about running a forum. It's very insightful and pretty much the best roadmap to administering a forum. Don't forget, this guy runs like, one of the top 3 biggest forums on the internet, and it's like 99.9% badposter free.

Give bad posters "the business" : probations, etc

Banning nobody ever is okay, but you really can't let shitposting slide. Somethingawful has a great feature where a moderator can click some badposter's post and probate them for X hours/days, along with a (USER WAS PROBABATED FOR THIS POST) attached to their post, and their avatar changes to a kitten in jail. This is ideal. I'd like to imagine there's a SMF mod for this.

Additionally, there are other things you can do to let your regular posters know that their posting isn't cool. Change their title to something big and red, change their avatar to GOOFUS from Highlights magazine, and change their username to Willy Q. Badpost. Put them in the user group that can only post in the Funhouse. There are blanket rules about "don't post bad" and "the moderators can do whatever they want" so please use those to shape the future of internet posting. Remember, like posting attracts like posting. Have fun with it! Ask me about the fabled "Mod challenge" option, if you dare.

New emoticons

Get them in there! And allow users to create their own, within reason. This gives the forum a nice zesty flavor. "Enable the community!" - gamespy guy. Start here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=36103.msg766819#msg766819

Unique Funhouse background color/theme/whatever

I know this a pain in the butt to implement (I even looked) but the benefits would be tremendous. You're gonna just have to trust me on this one.

Always keep moving! Like in Gauntlet!

Ditch the karma system already
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:00:22 AM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Ty's 5-ish point plan for improving the hell out of the forum
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
Also get rid of the Gameplay Strategy forum. I was the only person that defended it when it was on the chopping block, and now even I've given up on on the idea that Nintendo will put out a game that people will need help with.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
Nintendo made their own Gameplay Strategy forum, it's called Miiverse.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
Additionally, there are other things you can do to let your regular posters know that their posting isn't cool. Change their title to something big and red, change their avatar to GOOFUS from Highlights magazine, and change their username to Willy Q. Badpost. Put them in the user group that can only post in the Funhouse.

The funny thing is, doing that kind of stuff is what has some individuals in a tizzy about "bullying" and such.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
Instead of being passive aggressive, just say it. Not that hard.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
The funny thing is, doing that kind of stuff is what has some individuals in a tizzy about "bullying" and such.

They're wrong. Also, think of moderation as a performance art.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:38 PM »
Also, I think of moderation as a performance art.

If only anyone cared what you think. :smug:
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

Ditch the karma system already
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

But then TJ wouldn't have something to do everytime he logged in/visited the forums.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »
I think we should reset karma to zero, remove the ability for regular users to smite, give mods the unlimited ability to smite and use that as a way to determine which users need to be banned.  If people like you/your posts, then you get to earn applauds.  If mods think you're a bad poster, we can just smite you as much as we want until you're banned.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:01 AM »
We've got to make it so I can set it up automatically so we can make sure Morari and TJ Spyke start off at -10,000 without any effort.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 06:19:08 PM »
Also get rid of the Gameplay Strategy forum. I was the only person that defended it when it was on the chopping block, and now even I've given up on on the idea that Nintendo will put out a game that people will need help with.

I used to think it might be a really neat forum to try and support but the problem is with so many FAQs, wiki's and walkthroughs available not to mention video playthroughs on Youtube, there is no neccessity for it anymore. Posting and then waiting someone comes on and can solve your problem is way too slow compared to being able to go to a dedicated site that you can look up the answer for or pulling up a video where you can see exactly what to do. That's what I've done when I've been stuck a few times of late.

Now, I will admit there will be the odd occasion where you still can't find the information you seek but it is pretty rare. On the other hand, if people were to use the forum preemptively to post their own advice in a game instead of reactively waiting for questions or do their own wikis or walkthroughs, it might be an interesting thing to have but it would require serious organization and frankly, I don't see why anyone would want to bother when it is already taken of care by other people on other sites.

You could always use it as a highscore/record type forum as well. Make threads for certain games and people could post their scores and strategy that way although there could be issues of people being super competetive over that. Just spitballing on any other possible uses it could have.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
oh look nothing's happening

Insanolord, do you use any IMs or do I have to PM you my great ideas for forum ARGs like some sort of filthy forum prole? I'm above such things!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
Other than new emoticons, I don't think your suggestions would be a good idea.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »
Care to explain why? Disagreement from the smitemonger himself actually seems more like a glowing endorsement, really.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Smitemonger? You are probably responsible for hundreds of my smites, 99% of which were unwarranted.

Singling out users for public embarrassment is childish, immature, and something only cowards would do (and you seem to have a hard-on for "Something Awful", which I had never heard of).

Setting a unique feature for one board doesn't make any sense, and is a waste of time since it doesn't make it better. It also defeats the purpose of letting users select the layout they like for the forum.

Karma? Maybe change it so it's like Yahoo's system where you can Like or Dislike each individual post.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Jesus Christ, every thread that mentions karma turns into a karma debate shitstorm.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
I've never debated thew Karma (but I have read the debates) so I will just say now that it seems consensus is that folks want the ability to like or dislike individual posts. I don't know how difficult it would be to move to that system but if it is reasonable and possible, I don't get why it hasn't been done already.
I also think the identities of who liked or disliked individual posts should be open and readable as part of the system. I want to know who I am attracting or putting off and I want to know which bits of my incoherent ramblings folks found to be swell or awful. 
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
So does everybody agree  "Likes" > nothing > karma ?

And now, let the trolling begin!

Smitemonger? You are probably responsible for hundreds of my smites, 99% of which were unwarranted.
No, sorry, your posting is in fact that bad

Singling out users for public embarrassment is childish, immature, and something only cowards would do (and you seem to have a hard-on for "Something Awful", which I had never heard of).
As the forums' lead authority on internet culture, I'm just going to go ahead and say you're wrong. You should check out somethingawful, it's a good site and I think you'll like it. :)

Setting a unique feature for one board doesn't make any sense, and is a waste of time since it doesn't make it better. It also defeats the purpose of letting users select the layout they like for the forum.
It's been a huge success in the past (when it had those cool banners) and on other forums which have used a similar board. It's really to set it apart as being different from the other boards, because it is: a different flavor to remind you that it doesn't operate under the same rules as the other boards.

Karma? Maybe change it so it's like Yahoo's system where you can Like or Dislike each individual post.
That's a great idea, I'm glad I thought of it! In the meantime though, before someone can muster up the effort to install it, karma can just be turned off with the flick of a switch. Er. Pulldown menu.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
I mentioned the Yahoo idea months ago. :P

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Er. Pulldown menu.
I want a pulldown pants menu.

Make it So!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »
I mentioned the Yahoo idea months ago. :P

Right after my post! Good job!

Real talk though, when even I and TJSpyke agree, someone should be taking notice.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »
Remember when we had a dedicated Smash Bros forum area when Brawl hype was big? We should do that again when they start showing the new one.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »
Remember when we had a dedicated Smash Bros forum area when Brawl hype was big? We should do that again when they start showing the new one.

I'm actually going to do that.

But before they start showing the new one.

Then shut it down when they do.

Because.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
Actually, that makes sense. If you create it now, it will be full of unreal optimism and glowing expectations as people speculate on what the new game could be like. Then when info about the game is released and people see the reality compared to their fantasy, shutting it down at that time will keep the forum from becoming the negative hole it would devolve into and we'll only have the good times remembered. Good plan.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 04:51:37 AM »
You know the thread tags? The icon you can choose for each thread? They're ugly and useless.

How about replacing them with something actually useful?

etc. Maybe to something not stolen from elsewhere but you get the point! Also I'm curious to see if there can be unique ones for each forum. I swear to god I may just start writing articles again just so I can get to work on the forums :\