Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 404265 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1300 on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
Cross compatibility of DS software? As in you can play it on the 3DS or the Wii U with one purchase. Make it an incentive for people to go digital.

Then they could just charge a small fee to give the same benefit for physical games. Something like 10% of the games original value or market value.

Or Nintendo could run a subscription service that allows you to register your physical games and you can access the digital versions as long as you maintain a monthly/annual subscription. I'm less fond of this idea but it is something I think some people would be willing to do.

They could also do something similar to what Blizzard did with the original Starcraft. The game disc allowed you to instal 'spawned ' versions on any number of other computers. These were essentially glorified demos but gave it access to the FULL multiplayer (LAN play) so long as someone with the full version was also playing. I think there were a limit to the number of spawns per full version and I think only full versions could start games but it was a fun and easy way to get multiplayer going.

Nintendo could let the Wii U act like another 3DS for single-card multiplayer in DS titles.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:02:47 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:33 PM »
Natsume community manager says:
Nintendo still working on bringing GBA games to 3DS VC....
And that they aren't the only ingress waiting for it to happen
http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/post/75102108640/winter-q-a-part-2-you-want-what
No, Nintendo does not put recent console games on the 3DS eShop, and sadly that means we cannot either. The same goes with GBA (outside of the ambassador games) — though they’re working on this and we look forward to the day it’s possible. But until that day comes, we aren’t actively working on porting any specific GBA or GameCube games.
We’re aware today that Nintendo has announced plans to launch DS games for the WiiU – it’s an exciting time, and we’ll be reviewing our DS catalogue for potential titles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Natsume_Inc/status/429082795210584064?screen_name=Natsume_Inc
Quote from: Twitter
"Oh, there have been plenty of companies who have looked into it. We wouldn't be the first by a long shot."

I'm seriously thinking that Nintendo must be waiting for a major Universal Account Update so that people have no reservations over buying games and only being able to play them on one hardware or another.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:27 AM »
Nintendo should make the ambassador GBA games available to everyone via the eShop as a token of goodwill.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 01, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »
If companies are interested in releasing some GBA and other VC games, then I wonder why Nintendo haven't done more with the VC...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1304 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
I'm thinking it's just been low on the priority list.  3DS is still selling pretty well, so Nintendo might've just shelved it to focus on saving the Wii U.  Unless there's something else that's making it difficult, like BnM said.

There's no way simply getting the games there is that hard when they've already done it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
Maybe they want to make the bonus worthwhile and are leaving them as exclusive for a certain amount of time and will release them all with a relaunch of the Virtual Console down the road. Looks like we can look forward to something new and exciting come this Summer's system update. And with the new (hopefully) outlook Nintendo has on leveraging their IPs there is still a good enough time left to work on a Summer launch even if they weren't planning on it before. They have the framework and they have the games functioning on the eShop. Just polish a few more and go.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 01, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Wii U update during the Nintendo E3 Conference 2014?
Or during the Nintendo Direct the night before?

Right after they announce what the updates are?
Improved Loading Time/quick start menu
Virtual Console 2.0 Relaunch (1 buy/all play - large launch catalog - Miiverse & OffTV built in to the emulator)
Universal Accounts take one step closer towards being what they should have been at launch
Fixes for bugs and errors, improvements to efficiency
Orange Port finally Activated & Expansion Pack bay unlocked under hidden flap.

New Nintendo couldn't come soon enough.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1307 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm acquaintances with someone who does Natsume PR, and they told me we're wildly misinterpreting that Q&A.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm acquaintances with someone who does Natsume PR, and they told me we're wildly misinterpreting that Q&A.

Did they bother to clarify for you?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:35 AM »
The biggest thing Nintendo needs to do with the eShop at this point is to offer a gifting feature combined with discounts. What this means is that over time all of the people that buy mainstream game shave down so and a vast majority sit on the eShop and a bought in a slow trickle. For example, NSMB U is one of the best selling games on the Wii U, if Nintendo offered it for half of the price in a temporary sale then a lot more people buy it.  A lot more people would buy it to gift it to friends who would not buy it at full price. This adds up to extra revenue for Nintendo. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
I miss the gifting feature. I miss the NWR Secret Santa we did every year. That was fun.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 02, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Can we all agree that the NNID/Club Nintendo/all other accounts is the absolute worst login system of all time? Nintendo. One Account. One password. PERIOD.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 17, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »
I miss the gifting feature. I miss the NWR Secret Santa we did every year. That was fun.

:) Thanks! I miss it too.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 21, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
No Assassins Creed: Unity for Wii U, surprised!!!
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 12, 2014, 12:58:14 AM »
Project CARS. Big 'ol 2014 displayed at the end of this gameplay trailer.

12 minutes of gameplay footage showcasing the sounds in the game.

It's getting hard not to get excited for this game.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 12, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »
I'm excited, to the extent that I'm sure it actually exists. They've been talking for a long time. If it actually comes out this year, I'll be right there waiting for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
So rumor has it a Mario Kart 8 bundle is happening in Europe.  Considering we usually get the same bundles in America, I think it's safe to say we'll get something like this as well.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/42526-un-pack-wii-u-avec-mario-kart-8-est-prevu
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 17, 2014, 01:06:03 AM »
NBA 2k13's servers were officially shutdown on March 31st. They were unofficially shutdown since launch because it never seemed like they worked. Ever.

I only noticed it because the Wii U gives out a different error message. Now when you try and log on to the 2k servers it says: "This online service is no longer available. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Isn't there a law against that? I imagine there are maybe 5 or 6 people in total ever trying to play NBA2K13 for Wii U online.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 17, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
I'm sure no one was playing online, but the game's single player career mode was tied to the online. Then game crashes when I try to load up the save file. I now have to create a new (offline) career, wiping out any previous progress. 2k share doesn't work anymore, meaning I can't import any new created draft classes.

In addition, I've always experienced hard locks when trying to manually save my progress while offline. (in addition to the numerous bugs 2k never seems to fix).

So the permanently offline version of this game is a vastly inferior product. I knew it was going to happen, I just didn't expect it to happen barely a year after the game was released.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: April 22, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »
New Fatal Frame for the Wii U!

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/new-fatal-frame-announced-wii-u#PE5ALhJfTAipO35s.99

...Let's hope they localize this one. :(

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 22, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226745-noe-pr-mario-golf-world-tour-lets-players-expand-their-play-options-with-new-downloadable-courses-and-characters

The sad truth of Nintendo's future in order to please investors. I never saw they coming where "expanding your play options" would mean pay for content that should already be in the game. I expect this kind of dirty tricks from Microsoft and Sony but not from Nintendo, but i guess i was wrong. Any ways i really don't care anymore, the wii u has been so disastrous that whatever screwup comes next wouldn't take me by surprise, its sad for me to admit it but the days of Nintendo i i remember it during the 90's are long gone and to some extent we can credit mr apologist himself Iwata for being such a sorry excuse for a CEO, and by the way the Wii success doesn't count,lol.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 22, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
New Fatal Frame for the Wii U!

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/new-fatal-frame-announced-wii-u#PE5ALhJfTAipO35s.99

...Let's hope they localize this one. :(

As long as it gets released in Europe like the FF2 remake was, we'll get this one in America.  Unlike the Wii, the Wii U has the e-shop which as the 3DS has shown, allows Nintendo to release games that would be niche in the American market as a cheaper alternative.  So the worst case scenario this time will be the game is Digital only in America, but at least those that want it will be able to get it without having to import and modify their Wii U's.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 22, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226745-noe-pr-mario-golf-world-tour-lets-players-expand-their-play-options-with-new-downloadable-courses-and-characters

The sad truth of Nintendo's future in order to please investors. I never saw they coming where "expanding your play options" would mean pay for content that should already be in the game. I expect this kind of dirty tricks from Microsoft and Sony but not from Nintendo, but i guess i was wrong. Any ways i really don't care anymore, the wii u has been so disastrous that whatever screwup comes next wouldn't take me by surprise, its sad for me to admit it but the days of Nintendo i i remember it during the 90's are long gone and to some extent we can credit mr apologist himself Iwata for being such a sorry excuse for a CEO, and by the way the Wii success doesn't count,lol.

Pray tell is DLC a dirty trick. Also while I think Iwata is past his prime only  dumbass would discount his past successes with the Wii and DS.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 22, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »

so going off this news story, and the comments in the talkback thread....

This game is just as big as any previous version of the game
It cost $10 less at retail than your average 3DS game
has pre-defined DLC that almost doubles the content
This DLC can be bought at a total of $15 up front
and the entire package can be had for $5 more than what you would normally pay for a retail 3DS game....

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
Sounds more like they are able to release the full game as expected.
They can entice more games since the initial game is actually cheaper than usual
They can entice more post purchase DLC transactions by offering it at launch and fairly cheap
and they expand the longevity of the game by adding more content. optional for those that want it.
total package cost $5 more than usual retail.