Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 409638 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1250 on: January 23, 2014, 06:14:13 AM »
Two of the key heads at Criterion have left recently, so I expect that studio to go the way of so many other EA studios soon.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 23, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
Two of the key heads at Criterion have left recently, so I expect that studio to go the way of so many other EA studios soon.

You mean relative quality stays the same. They already moved most of the studio to Ghost Games and the next Criterion game isn't a racing game irrc.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 24, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Rumors going around saying Gamestop is cancelling pre-orders for the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs. Stores are being instructed to tell people to switch their order to something else or have it cancelled. I have no reason to believe this rumor isn't true. The Wii U version of this game might well be cancelled.

I am seriously bummed out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 24, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
That's the only 3rd party game I've been looking forward to since launch. Let's hope that's some bullshit.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1254 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
What a mess this console is, and that's an understatement.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
I already canelled my preorder months ago, so jokes on them!

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 24, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
Wasn't planning on playing Watch Dogs on Wii U anyway, so I guess I was part of the problem, but that really sucks if true.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
I plan to buy Watchdogs digitally on the Wii U, so I do not have to worry about the evil empire cancelling my order.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 24, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
I plan to buy Watchdogs digitally on the Wii U, so I do not have to worry about the evil empire cancelling my order.

You do if that cancellation means the game isn't coming to a Nintendo system at all.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 24, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »

You do if that cancellation means the game isn't coming to a Nintendo system at all.

It was proven to be false bud.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: January 24, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »
Take away COD or Madden? Who cares? Bioshock Infinite? Didn't like that what I played of it. TitanFall or Destiny? Yawn.

But Watch Dogs, Watch Dogs is probably the only "AAA" big third party publisher game I am looking forward to. If it did get canceled, it would really tick me off.

It probably won't live up to the hype, since Ubisoft seems to be homogenizing all its big titles anyway, but I want to give it a shot.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

It was proven to be false bud.

That's a relief, but what took Ubisoft so long to comment?
they changed their mind? thought us Wii U owners wouldn't notice or care?

That's the only known game from a 3rd party left on my "To Buy" list
my "Maybe" list still has "Arkham Origins" on it, and that $29.99 price tag is tempting, but I don't see myself making time to play it right now, so there is no rush.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
I don't think Ubisoft ever commented at all, but Gamestop: http://kotaku.com/gamestop-is-canceling-watch-dogs-wii-u-pre-orders-this-1508273787

This was simply a glitch in the system that will be fixed by tomorrow morning.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
Oh GameStop... let us count the ways..... where is that thread at?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »
Watch Dogs is one of the few titles I plan on buying this year close to release. May wait a bit but it depends of the other games releasing around that time or other, better deals crop up before then that take my money.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
Watch Dogs is one of the milestone games that Ubisoft will use to evaluate their support for the Wii U. The game is a new IP, so it stands to reason that it might sell better for the Wii U like Zombie U. Hopefully it sells well enough for further support and a Zombie U sequel.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
As long as we get the same game, for the same price, on the same day, I don't there will be any issues.
But they also can't expect it to sell anywhere near as well on the Wii U as it will on the PS360 due to userbase, but it should hopefully hold it's own (not toooo far behind) against the PS4 and XBO.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:47 PM »
If anything it could sell better. Other consoles already have plenty of sandbox games like GTA5. Wii U has Lego City. Not knocking Lego City, but there are less 'big' titles to compete for the userbases dollar.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 24, 2014, 11:11:36 PM »
They have more titles that may be similar which is how they already built up an audience for such a game. To most Wii/Wii U only owners, this type of game will be new territory, you don't go in knowing how much you already like these types of games. But with the GamePad, I'm hoping we have the definitive version of the 3 (5?) versions

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 24, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

The Secret Developers: Wii U - the inside story

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Lots of incredibly interesting things about the early days of Project Cafe and the problems that some developers had during this pre-release time. It's a fairly long read with some tech mumbo jumbo (as per usual with Digital Foundry) but if you skim it you'll see some fairly incriminating stuff.

Nintendo is full of fucking idiots.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: January 25, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »
Take away COD or Madden? Who cares? Bioshock Infinite? Didn't like that what I played of it. TitanFall or Destiny? Yawn.

First they came for the football players. Then the other football players...

Watch Dogs is one of the milestone games that Ubisoft will use to evaluate their support for the Wii U. The game is a new IP, so it stands to reason that it might sell better for the Wii U like Zombie U. Hopefully it sells well enough for further support and a Zombie U sequel.

They already had two Assassin's Creed games, Splinter Cell, ZombiU and Rayman. They have plenty of data to know what kind of support Wii U has, and will have for the foreseeable future. That's why even the mere rumor of a cancellation could be true. At this point you can tell me any previously third party game coming to Wii U has been cancelled and I would believe you.

The Secret Developers: Wii U - the inside story

Did we ever find out who was the secret developer? I think some people had guessed it was the guys that made NBA2k13.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 25, 2014, 01:32:58 AM »
Here is the truth about Ubisoft and the Wii U. Zombie U was one of the most financially successful Wii U titles, and for a launch title, most developers/publishers, can only dream about selling the amount of units that it sold on a Nintendo console. The issue is they developed it twice. It was originally Killer Freaks and they change it around. This cost them big money and that is their fault.

As for Rayman Legends, Ubisoft had a near monopoly on Wii U in early 2013. Had they released it on the Wii U exclusively they would have had no threat from either first or third party Wii U games for atleast six months. This would have entailed a large cash infusion into Ubisoft's bank account. Instead, they chose to wait six months and turn the game out to die against the behemoth that is Grand Theft Auto V.  The fact that it sold best on Wii U tells me they should have made it remain a Wii U exclusive earlier in the year.

Splinter Cell Black List, while a good game, showed that the series is basically Ubisoft's version of Resident Evil. Many fans were divided as to the quality of the titles and the direction of the series. In the end it sold abysmally, however, it sold best on Wii U. Yet Ubisoft gimps the Wii U version when it should have been an exclusive from the begining.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: January 25, 2014, 01:36:50 AM »
Zombie U was one of the most financially successful Wii U titles

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 25, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »
I believe Ubisoft is on the record saying ZombiU did relatively well, but not well enough that they'd make another one. Going by Wii U third party standards, that probably means it's one of the most financially successful.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:10 AM »
Ubisoft says ZombiU 'unprofitable, no plans for sequel'

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/418162/ubisoft-says-zombiu-unprofitable-no-plans-for-sequel/

Ubisoft has no plans to release a ZombiU sequel after the Wii U exclusive failed to turn a profit.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday

ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close.

Zombie U was one of the most financially successful Wii U titles

...so... I reiterate:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:58:21 AM by Oblivion »