Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 663783 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3225 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »
Besides, YouTube is owned by Google, which is an American company. I doubt they'd be willing to hand over any information without a court order. Likewise, it won't do much good for commenters that are in regions that don't really recognize or care about inane things like policing big businesses' little tinker ideas.

YouTube flouts the law. Remember that the owners of the site admitted to each other that they knew people were illegally uploading copyrighted videos to the site but weren't going to stop them because it was helping to grow the site.

As for the Internet, I think it has been established that sites are governed by where they are based (hence why most gambling sites are not hosted in the US because most states ban it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:52 PM »
One thing to note is that LG wants PS3s banned in the US.  If they got their wish, that wouldn't just screw over Sony.  Maybe you could argue Sony has it coming.  But it also screws over everyone who owns a PS3.  As a PS3 owner I would not want Sony to be blocked from selling PS3s because then the format is essentially dead.  No more games.  I couldn't even buy a replacement if my existing PS3 broke.

For something so exteme to happen, Sony better damn well be completely guilty of what LG is accusing them of.  PS3 owners don't deserve to be screwed over like that, even if Sony are jerks and have it coming to them in a general karma sort of way.

Think of the developers as well who would now have games in stores for a format that is no longer sold.  What about those that dedicated time and money into PS3 games only for the PS3 to be banned before they can even bring their game to market?  What LG is demanding would hurt a lot of innocent parties.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3227 on: February 09, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
In the unlikely event that LG won (and Sony refused to reach a deal to pay to license the patents), couldn't they go back to the old PS3 format? It seems that the patents supposedly only relate to tech used in the slim model, not in the original one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Sony would just create a new revision of the PS3 hardware that would work around the patents. It wouldn't be a big deal (for consumers) if the slim model got pulled, because something else would take its place. Although, it might end up with certain features being stripped out depending on whatever the patents cover.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Existing PS3 owners would not be screwed, just Sony would have to make some changes to consoles that they want to sell. LG does not want the system banned - they want the sale of the system (the way that it is constructed now) banned. No one's going to come and take your PS3 away.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: February 09, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
Besides, YouTube is owned by Google, which is an American company. I doubt they'd be willing to hand over any information without a court order. Likewise, it won't do much good for commenters that are in regions that don't really recognize or care about inane things like policing big businesses' little tinker ideas.

YouTube flouts the law. Remember that the owners of the site admitted to each other that they knew people were illegally uploading copyrighted videos to the site but weren't going to stop them because it was helping to grow the site.

Good.

Of course, a lot of that copyrighted material is uploaded directly by the film and music industries, as has been proven.

No one is seriously uploading entire films to the service... The media companies are just scared to death that there are a multitude of new distribution channels opening up every single day now. Of course, these are the people that'll sue twelve year olds for putting clips of rock songs in their freely distributed, anime fan compilation films. Never mind the ideas of fair use... or even free advertising.

Sony would just create a new revision of the PS3 hardware that would work around the patents. It wouldn't be a big deal (for consumers) if the slim model got pulled, because something else would take its place. Although, it might end up with certain features being stripped out depending on whatever the patents cover.

Sony would never willing strip away features from their products! They'll fight LG tooth and nail to maintain their professional pride and customer loyalty! After all, they're not the world's most innovative company for nothing. Long live Betamax... Long live UMD... Long live Blu-Ray!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:27:26 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: February 09, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
No one is seriously uploading entire films to the service...

Oh really?   :confused;

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

And that's just what I could find with 3 quick searches of whatever came to mind.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:31:23 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3232 on: February 09, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »
Morari, I know media companies are NOT putting some stuff up on their own. For many years though they did not, it was people who were uploading other stuff without permission (hence "illegally"). It makes YouTube look like douches by knowing they are breaking the law too by letting this happen and not doing anything about it. If I own a house and I know the tenants renting it from me are selling drugs and I don't do anything about it, I am breaking the law too and would be punished.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: February 09, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
Do you really expect YouTube to hire an entire team of people, dedicated to doing nothing more than going through each and every upload, checking and double chcking it against any and all possible copyright infringements?

It's not YouTube's job to protect Hollywood's property.

Personally though, I don't have much use for YouTube nowadays. Like anything else, it quickly became useless trash the moment it became popular amongst the mainstream. The entire internet is going down the shitter because more and more casual users are joining and more and more corporate control is being flexed.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3234 on: February 09, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »

Actually, legally it IS. If a site knows that copyright-infringing content is on their site, they are legally required to remove it as soon as possible. Not only were they not doing it, they were proud it was happening. If they are not gonna do that, then they deserve all those lawsuits they got.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
It figures that I'd get a smite once I posted contrary evidence to Morari's latest anti-establishment raving, while he sidesteps the issue in his reply.   ::)

Personally though, I don't have much use for YouTube nowadays. Like anything else, it quickly became useless trash the moment it became popular amongst the mainstream. The entire internet is going down the shitter because more and more casual users are joining and more and more corporate control is being flexed.

So if we're going to continue that line of thought, is the Wii then "useless trash" since it has "become popular amongst the mainstream"?  Is the "entire [industry] going down the shitter because more and more casual users are joining"?  Dude, I can't even begin to understand you.  You're a walking pile of contradictions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:58:01 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Existing PS3 owners would not be screwed, just Sony would have to make some changes to consoles that they want to sell. LG does not want the system banned - they want the sale of the system (the way that it is constructed now) banned. No one's going to come and take your PS3 away.

Obviously no one would take my PS3 away.  But if PS3s were no longer being sold then no one is going to make new games for it.  It would end the PS3's life as a currently supported system.  I figure LG would rather get a cut then outright ban sales but in the worst-case-scenario everyone's PS3 becomes an unsupported retro system.

It's just like Nintendo! HA!  ;D   The sad truth is I find YouTube most useful for stuff like music videos, videogame playthroughs, pro wrestling matches, and sports highlights.  All of those can be considered copyright infringement (though they do have official music videos).  In theory the benefit of YouTube is that it is an outlet for artists.  It's like a free TV channel that anyone can make a show for.  The problem is that is not usually used in a meaningful way and you just get stupid videos people make of themselves wiping out on a skateboard.  I remember as a kid people showing their home movies was death.  99% of the time it was boring and self-indulgent.  My grandpa had a video camera back in the 80's and any video he shot was just him and other old people talking in Portuguese and doing something mundane.  Like he would tape dinner or them in the garden.  No pacing, no highlights, just "here's what happened in the span of 30 minutes when I was filming!"  That's YouTube.  For every one video that's legitimately funny or entertaining or well made there are 99 examples of worthless bullshit.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: February 09, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »

Actually, legally it IS. If a site knows that copyright-infringing content is on their site, they are legally required to remove it as soon as possible. Not only were they not doing it, they were proud it was happening. If they are not gonna do that, then they deserve all those lawsuits they got.

They only know that the content exists once they are alerted to it. With all of the take downs and removed audio tracks that plague the site, I'd say they follow up well enough. Never mind the bogus legality of DMCA take downs in general. Guilty until proven innocent, right?

So if we're going to continue that line of thought, is the Wii then "useless trash" since it has "become popular amongst the mainstream".  Is the "entire [industry] going down the shitter because more and more casual users are joining"?  Dude, I can't even begin to understand you.  You're a walking pile of contradictions.

The video game industry has gotten substantially less entertaining as it's gotten popular. I can still load up a handful of ten year old games and have more fun right now than I could with anything current.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:22:55 PM by Morari »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3238 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
The DMCA legality is not bogus, you just don't like it. And YouTube themselves have admitted to knowing about copyrighted videos and not taking them down, this is fact. When people know they are breaking the law and continue doing so to profit from it, there is no defending them. They knew they were breaking the law and they didn't care.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: February 09, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Someone, who may or may not even be a right holder, sends YouTube a DMCA takedown notice. YouTube takes the video down and now you, the content creator, have to prove that you own the rights to the video and that is should be reuploaded. That sounds fair, right? How about the unlawful seizure of internet domain names that the U.S. government has been partaking in lately? All under the banner of fighting piracy. Yeah, freedom my ass.

Why don't you go be a corporate shill somewhere else? I'm sure Sony could spare an extra teet for you to suckle on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3240 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »
Actually, the person sending the notice has to prove they own it. Besides, usually legit copyright holders will set up their own channel.

I am not a shill, you just advocate for anarchy and people doing whatever the hell they want. If somebody wants to break into your house, you can't get upset because they are no different than the people you defend. You make BS claims, defend criminals, and get upset and companies for protecting their copyrighted content. You just don't like living in society. Just go away and join those cyber-terrorists that support Assange.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: February 09, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
Did Morari just report his own post?   :Q
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40:58 PM »
This is like watching matter meeting anti-matter.

While Morari is certainly anti-authoritarian, he is no anarchist. On the other hand, TJ has an authoritarian hard on so large and hard, he would club himself to death with it if he was to lay down on his back. I question at times whether TJ has any sense of justice or morality if it wasn't written into Law.

The funny thing is both Anti-Authoritarianism and Authoritarianism both lead to the same thing, dissolution of society, abet via different means if taken to their logical conclusions. They both result in temporary Anarchy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
If somebody wants to break into your house, you can't get upset because they are no different than the people you defend.

If someone breaks into my house, they are damaging PHYSICAL property. They are assumingly going to steal PHYSICAL property while there. That's a big difference. If you honestly... HONESTLY... can't tell the difference between physical goods and virtual goods, you need to go back to Economics 101.

You just don't like living in society. Just go away and join those cyber-terrorists that support Assange.

It all makes sens now... you're one of those people. Not only will you blindly support corporate greed and it's damaging effects on private citizens, but you'll also defend government corruption to the death. Typical American... Blind and stupid to the world. Only willing to believe whatever safe lies they're told via the television that they park their fat ass in front of far too often.

The world doesn't need people like you. It needs people that are willing to think. People that are brave enough to at least question authority. You're too scared to even consider the notion. That's why you lash out the way you do when anyone mentions how out of control these corporations and the laws they make up are.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Julian Assange is a hero in my book. Here's a tip - if you don't want someone to show of the fucked up **** you do, then don't do fucked up ****.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3245 on: February 09, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
If somebody wants to break into your house, you can't get upset because they are no different than the people you defend.

If someone breaks into my house, they are damaging PHYSICAL property. They are assumingly going to steal PHYSICAL property while there. That's a big difference. If you honestly... HONESTLY... can't tell the difference between physical goods and virtual goods, you need to go back to Economics 101.

You just don't like living in society. Just go away and join those cyber-terrorists that support Assange.

It all makes sens now... you're one of those people. Not only will you blindly support corporate greed and it's damaging effects on private citizens, but you'll also defend government corruption to the death. Typical American... Blind and stupid to the world. Only willing to believe whatever safe lies they're told via the television that they park their fat ass in front of far too often.

The world doesn't need people like you. It needs people that are willing to think. People that are brave enough to at least question authority. You're too scared to even consider the notion. That's why you lash out the way you do when anyone mentions how out of control these corporations and the laws they make up are.

Really? You have decided to start acting like a douche? I will not stoop to you level. Let's see, you: attacked my nationality, made threats against me, lied about me, and making up crap. Why don't you leave the board already?

Brandogg, how is someone who took stolen info and posted it, who raped a woman, and whose supporters have committed cyber-terrorism your hero? It's obvious that you have done plenty of embarrassing stuff (and based on how you act, plenty of illegal stuff too), would you want your private stuff posted? Would you be so understanding if I hacked your e-mail accounts, for example, and posted everything for the world to see?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: February 09, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
This has gone far enough. I don't believe this discussion is one that should be had on a gaming forum, and even if it were, it doesn't belong in this thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: February 10, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm going to add that I would have banned people for this display. I don't want to see this repeated.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report