Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS: Embarrassment of Riches  (Read 1488 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo 3DS: Embarrassment of Riches
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »

The 3DS is filled with awesomeness. Also, a hopeful Wii U thought for once.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/33364

For nearly two weeks, my 3DS has been just about the only system I've touched. On the strength of Fire Emblem: Awakening and Brain Age: Concentration Training alone, I'd have more than enough content to last me the rest of the month and beyond. But then Virtual Console games also occasionally release (less often than I'd like) and the 3DS eShop gets at least one title a week and around two or three quality releases a month.

We're closing in on two years since the 3DS launched, and the system is already a contender for one of my favorite systems ever. The breadth of content is what wins it over for me. The 3DS loops in all of the 3DS and DS lineups, along with a respectable amount of classic games on Virtual Console. I can almost play half of the Zelda franchise on my 3DS, and that's really cool.

I could drone on and on about how I'm super stoked for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, how I'm curious about Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, or how the potential summer of Mario Golf: World Tour, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team could rock my face off. Instead, I'll just remind those decrying the Wii U right now that, three months after launch, the 3DS was just about to get the Ocarina of Time remake, following up its launch combo of Nintendogs+Cats, Steel Diver, and Pilotwings Resort, three games nowhere near the caliber of New Super Mario Bros. U or Nintendo Land. I'm not saying eat your Wii U **** sandwich and love it; just remember that a system that has stupid amounts of games and content was once as piss-poor as the Wii U is right now. Give it a few months when you're assaulted by Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, and Wii Fit U in March to June (or more likely spread out over the summer).

P.S. - If you own a PlayStation 3 or a Vita, stop being a jerk and buy Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It's pretty fantastic.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS: Embarrassment of Riches
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
P.S. - If you own a PlayStation 3 or a Vita, stop being a jerk and buy Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It's pretty fantastic.

Here I thought I was the only person online cheerleading this game (for the past...year).  ;D

I'm waiting on a retail copy for Fire Emblem Awakening, as Nintendo's insistence on tying save data to game data for their retail downloadable titles reeks of Nintendo ripping off the PS Vita of all things (though at least the Vita can now upload its save data to the Cloud so you can delete the game data when finished).  I'm also looking forward to Luigi's Mansion.

However, I'm going to wait on Castlevania: LoS - MoF for at least 6 months. I want to play it, but the team's already admitted they made the game in HD & scaled it down for 3DS. I want to make sure that game's not going to an actual HD platform (especially a console like the PS3) before I pick it up.  I'm similarly waiting on Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, but for a different reason: I still haven't finished Bowser's Inside Story.  :P:

As for the Wii U, I might check out Wonderful 101 in the Summer, and perhaps Pikmin 3 as well if I find myself in the mood for that sort of game at the time.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
This is my confirmed shopping list for just the 3DS this year: Gunman Clive, Tokyo Crash Mobs, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion, HarmoKnight, Soul Hackers, Mario Golf, DKCR, Mario and Luigi, Pokemon (X/Y). That's not counting any more eShop stuff, nor what gets announced at GDC/E3/other Nintendo Directs.

* Shaymin slinks off to Kickstarter
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
I'm hoping to get Resident Evil Revelaitons Unveiled Edition and The Wonderful 101 in a Buy 1 Get 1 50% sale. I have $15 in Best Buy Reward Zone coupons (which expire in April) so I'll probably pick up Catsylvania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate. I don't think I can wait for the inevitable HD release. I also have nearly $28 in store credit at Play n Trade which I could hold onto until Mario and Luigi: Dream Team though I was thinking about getting the Metal Gear Solid Collection on PS3. I'm secretly hoping for Wii U version that includes Twin Snakes.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »
Thank you for this short and sweet article telling people to relax. I've been saying this over and over again in the comment section. People need to have PATIENCE with Wii U. It's going to be alright in time.

If you don't like these early system life droughts, then don't buy a system Day 1. Otherwise, don't whine, you know what you got yourself into when you bought the system Day 1. These problems will happen on PS4 and Durango, it happens all the time. It's part of the life cycle.

And yeah, March to June is looking great for both 3DS and Wii U. Can't wait.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »
It's always in retrospect when we learn how to love our Nintendo consoles.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
However, I'm going to wait on Castlevania: LoS - MoF for at least 6 months. I want to play it, but the team's already admitted they made the game in HD & scaled it down for 3DS. I want to make sure that game's not going to an actual HD platform (especially a console like the PS3) before I pick it up.

Of course it is always a possibility, but looking at the Developer's schedule I think you would have to wait a year at the least. With Mercury Steam finished with MoF, they'll go full...steam...ahead with Lords of Shadow 2, which is listed as 2013 TBA release date. If that TBA goes, uh according to schedule, that places Lords of Shadows 2 around (surprise) Nov-Dec.
The point is here is that, if Konami decides to follow up LoS2 with MoF, there will need to be a grace period while people finish. This would effectively place an HD version 1st quarter 2014, at the earliest. So, if you are comfortable waiting that long for the game then by all means. There will be a ton of good games in the interim.
But, if you at all would fancy some brand new whip-slinging, swords-swinging, teeth-gnashing, shield-bashing(?) Castlevania goodness might as well take the plunge.

And that my friend is how we write like two paragraphs about something we have absolutely no certainty about.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
I've loved my 3DS since Day one and have never suffered a drought on it yet.  Between retail releases, eShop, VC, and the ambassador program, there's too much to play!
"All the world is blind to my passing..."