Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 419944 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #800 on: August 11, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »
Your tone makes us want to act proud.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 11, 2010, 01:11:58 AM »
I can understand that. I didn't mean to accuse anyone of anything.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 11, 2010, 02:53:51 AM »
You sound proud of that.

I'm really not... I'm just telling it like it is.
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 11, 2010, 03:15:15 AM »
Well, among teenage and 20-something males almost every single one is that shallow.

Actually when it comes to videogames this isn't true.  Most games over the years that have tried to use sex to sell them have done poorly.  Most men when it comes to videogames don't really care if there's naked women in them or not since they can easily find images of real women for free on the internet.

This is why games that use sex as a selling point end up failing since most guys aren't going to spend over $50 dollars on something they can get for free someplace else.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:49 AM »
BMX XXX is a great example of how sex can phail to sell a game. But there are a lot of examples where sex can sell games. Extreme Beach Volleyball, anyone? I personally detest the use of sex to sell anything. It does have it's place, but blatantly using it to sell a product irritates me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #805 on: August 11, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
To be fair, the first DoAX game had a reasonably good volleyball sim behind it's T&A.

Can't say the same for the sequels.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 11, 2010, 04:03:52 PM »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
How much did this game cost to manufacture? I am betting atleast 15 million.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #808 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »
$15 million would make it the most expensive game ever to manufacture (manufacture means the instruction booklet, the box, the disc itself, etc.). I think you meant develop. As for how much that cost, that would be too hard to speculate because Nintendo never (or rarely) give us that kind of info to at least compare it to.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 11, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
Kitaura: Yes! (laughs) I was really worried, thinking 'Oh no, he doesn't like it...', but then when I peeked at his face, his eyes were full of tears.

Iwata: Oh my...

M is for Made an old man cry.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: August 11, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
$15 million would make it the most expensive game ever to manufacture (manufacture means the instruction booklet, the box, the disc itself, etc.). I think you meant develop. As for how much that cost, that would be too hard to speculate because Nintendo never (or rarely) give us that kind of info to at least compare it to.

I meant develope, not manufacturer. That was a misnomer on my part.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #811 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
I wasn't sure. I wish we could know how much the game cost to make, unfortunately we only know how much a very small percentage of games cost to make (it's rare when we do know).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I found the Iwata Asks interview really interesting.  It sounds like they have this really ambitious idea for this action game that seemlessly mixes with cinematics and it all sounds real cool... but I don't understand why this game has to be a Metroid game.  It sounds more like they have this vision and they're going to mold Metroid to make it fit.  But why can't they just make a new IP?  It just doesn't sound like they set out to make a great Metroid game but rather they wanted to make something different and then they decided to use the Metroid IP for it.

One thing I found exciting is that this doesn't sound like a typical Nintendo release.  They emphasize how Nintendo and Team Ninja seem quite different.  Nintendo has become pretty stagnant to me and this sounds like something different for a change.  But it's not as different as it could be.  It's like Nintendo can't release a game anymore without some sort of franchise character on the box.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 11, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
Can they release a game without a franchise character on the box? Games without them seem to sell with mediocrity. What was the last non-major franchise release from Nintendo? Pikmin? there were a few titles in Japan that never came here but besides those nothing springs to mind. Maybe Nintendo has lost the confidence that they can push a successful new IP. I'd say the perfect solution could be WiiWare and DSiWare, but they don't release much there that could then grow into a new major IP/Franchise.
My Game Collection

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 11, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
Looks like I need to post the list again.  Once again, here's a list of new Nintendo IP's that have been created since Iwata became president back in 2002 that aren't part of the Wii __ series.

Legend of Starfy
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Heaven
The bit Generations series
Band Brothers
Nintendogs
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Polarium
Another Code
Electroplankton
Jump Super Stars
Magnetica
Brain Training
Big Brain Academy
Magical Starsign
Hotel Dusk
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Soma Bringer
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Collection
Geist
Chibi-Robo
Odama
Endless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Tact of Magic
Zangeki no Reginleiv
FlingSmash
Xenoblade
The Last Story

Not to mention I'm actually missing several other series but I think some of you get the point again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #815 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
I wouldn't count Starfy. The first game in the series was released in September 2002, so it came out about 3 months after he became president. Jump Super Stars/Ultimate Stars is a little iffy since I don't know if I would consider them Nintendo IPs since they only published the two games and they feature no Nintendo characters.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #816 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
I swear this topic has some kind of record for amount of derailments within the same topic.

Anyway I read through the Iwata Asks and it seems as though they focused around the simple controls and it seems as though they got it working pretty well. I think only Mop it up has the game preordered. So Mop it up what made you take a shot at this title while most of us are hesitent?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 11, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
Looks like I need to post the list again.  Once again, here's a list of new Nintendo IP's that have been created since Iwata became president back in 2002 that aren't part of the Wii __ series.

Legend of Starfy
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Heaven
The bit Generations series
Band Brothers
Nintendogs
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Polarium
Another Code
Electroplankton
Jump Super Stars
Magnetica
Brain Training
Big Brain Academy
Magical Starsign
Hotel Dusk
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Soma Bringer
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Tomodachi Collection
Geist
Chibi-Robo
OdamaEndless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Tact of Magic
Zangeki no Reginleiv

FlingSmash
Xenoblade
The Last Story

Not to mention I'm actually missing several other series but I think some of you get the point again.
Modified to remove Japan only games.

How many of these were crazy good sellers? Note a number of these never left Japan as well. Plus it remains to be seen if Xenoblade and Last Story come here.

And games can't count as franchises if only one game was ever made with little chance of getting a sequel (Geist, Odama).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:37:28 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 11, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
I swear this topic has some kind of record for amount of derailments within the same topic.

Anyway I read through the Iwata Asks and it seems as though they focused around the simple controls and it seems as though they got it working pretty well. I think only Mop it up has the game preordered. So Mop it up what made you take a shot at this title while most of us are hesitent?
I've actually had it pre-ordered for a while as well, and I'm looking forward to playing it.   Besides, I couldn't resist getting another $20 credit from Amazon.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 11, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »

I've actually had it pre-ordered for a while as well, and I'm looking forward to playing it.   Besides, I couldn't resist getting another $20 credit from Amazon.

Don't tell me that! I can't resist the Amazon credits as well.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 11, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
I fully admit that the only reason I pre-ordered this game is not just because of the $20 credit on Amazon, but also because I still had the $20 credit from Super Mario Galaxy 2 and didn't see anything else I wanted to spend it on. Otherwise, I would have waited until the reviews were out before making a decision.

That said, I still am hopeful of this game. I'm not one who has a set idea of what I think a Metroid game should be, so I don't mind if the usual formula is changed up. As much as I liked the Metroid Prime games, there have been three of those, and so I'm ready for something different. However, I haven't really been keeping up with the info on this game, so I don't know much about it outside of what I've gathered from the comments of others.

Also, I said this in a less trafficked thread, so I'll repeat it here. I've always felt that, out of every Nintendo character, Samus would be one of the best ones with which to develop a character. There's really nothing established about the character of Samus, we barely even know what she looks like outside of getting a glimpse at the end of each game, much less where she came from, how she came to be, and what are her motivations. This isn't like with Mario games, where a story isn't integral to the experience, or Zelda games, where the stories are really about the worlds rather than Link himself. The settings and goals of the games can mix well with giving some backstory and developing a hero. That's one reason I liked Fusion, it gave me something, not too much, not too little, that made Samus feel more human rather than as robotic as her appearance.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #821 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

Nope. Preordered here, too. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »
How many of these were crazy good sellers?

Why would they have to be?  I thought all Nintendo had to do was try to make new IP.  Now it suddenly has to outsell Mario or something?

And Stratos, Magical Starsign was released in the U.S.   I know, because I have a copy.  Another Code was also released in the U.S. as Trace Memory.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:31:41 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline balzzzy

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 11, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
Preordered as well.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
Iwata Asks Interview really cool.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/metroid-other-m/vol1_page1.jsp

I'm even more psyched for this game after reading that interview.