Author Topic: (Piracy) Gamecube  (Read 11559 times)

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
(Piracy) Gamecube
« on: October 15, 2003, 04:49:05 PM »
  I for one think people that pirate games are selfish, disrespectfull, and other stuff that would make me banned if I said more.  The reason i bring this up in the Gamecube discussion forum, is because pirates have infiltrated the Gamecube.  New Gamecube Network Loader

People dont understand that good, original games that are good should be supported by ca$h.  That I'm too poor to buy new games anyway excuse is old too, If you can't afford to buy new released games, dont be selfish and wait!  More powerful computers are coming out, and if piracy becomes as  popular like it is in China, there wont be a game industry!  

Well, if that happens maybe arcades will come back.....but thats beside the point.
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: (Piracy) Gamecube
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 04:53:56 PM »
Yeah, I know.

It's currently recommended that you play without a memory card though, and it can be a BIG pain in the butt to actually set up.  I have been thinking about buying PSO and a BBA adaptor myself for the purpose of software development, but it's going to be a royal pain to manage, and I'm just not sure it's worth the effort at this point in time.  Besides, I am having fun with the GBA still anyways.

Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 05:15:02 PM »
There already is emulators and everything for gamecube.  Only problem is that if you tried running it on your comp you would get 1.5 fps.  Its very buggy and isn't worth it, people should just support the Cube and legally obtain games.  I mean with the recent price drop whats a good reason not to own one?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:(Piracy) Gamecube
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 09:18:22 PM »
I really don't know what to say. While I thought and mentioned that the 'Cube was virtually unhackable, I guess some crafty programmers have made it hackable.

While it seems to be the classic case of "let's tinker with technology and see what we (Internet programming/hacking community) do with it." Unfortunately while their intentions are simply out of curiousity, its just letting the door open for lamers to ask for ISO's and run games on their PC without paying for it. Nintendo's been raped by piracy for a long time, it appears there's no end in sight.

As Locke mentioned earlier, the low price of the 'Cube outweighs the price of a high-end PC to emulate it. Hopefully that will discourage "Laming" when emulators (I'm still in shock that they pulled it off) get more refined.

I see emulation as a form of preservation of past games that time forgets, not as a source of free-loading (no accidental pun intended). Hopefully it will stay in the curiousty stage where it won't bleed into Nintendo's profits.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 12:50:15 AM »
well i know someone in the netherlands who has tried it, followed the instructions on a website (i wont post it however) and it didn't work, so its not something totally flawless and available for every joe downloader, so dont panic too much, all he managed to get was a bit of the nintendo logo to show up before it crashed and froze. (he was triyng animal crossing)

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 01:32:52 AM »
I won't be worried till they can easily burn and chip the GCN.  Your average guy can't do anything complicated with electronics what-so-ever.  

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 04:22:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Rob91883
More powerful computers are coming out, and if piracy becomes as  popular like it is in China, there wont be a game industry!

I think you're over-reacting.  Do you remember the old Commodore=64?

Probably not.

Well anyway, it was the most pirated system ever made.  As soon as a game was released, it was cracked and copied.  And yet, the Commodore=64 lasted 10 years (1982-92), and became the world's most popular computer ever (30 million units according to Guiness).  Piracy will not kill the GameCube.  Or the Box.  Or the PS2.

So just calm down.  It's not the end of the world.
Favorite classic games
Space Invaders, Missile Command, Berzerk, Defender, Mario 1.5, Final Fantasy 6

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 08:24:58 AM »
Though it does put the smaller companies in Jepordy.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 08:33:05 AM »
I'm sorry but that wasn't in the form of a question...

The answer was, "What puts the smaller companies in jeopardy."  

Those that don't think the videogame industry will be hurt by this most likely have similar views on piracy in the music industry.  Sure, one person burning cds won't hurt, but millions will.  Sure companies are still making money, but not nearly as much as they deserve...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 08:33:21 AM »
"Piracy will not kill the GameCube. Or the Box. Or the PS2."

3 cheers for common sense.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 08:36:57 AM »
"Sure companies are still making money, but not nearly as much as they deserve..."

the key word here in my opinion is "DESERVE", they make more than they deserve already. I look at the music industry, and bands that for years have said "we are in it for the music, the money means nothing", then what is all the bitching about now a days?

I could care less about piracy, doesnt bothet me one single bit.

just my 2 cents

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 08:48:16 AM »
That last statement was pointed at the videogame industry.  I don't give a damn for the music industry  Those that make videogames make much less than those who make music...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline eldiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 08:52:59 AM »
If we are talking music industry the record-labels and companies are the pirates. The artists get next to nothing of the money the company earn on the CDs.
Courtney Love about piracy:
http://www.cdbaby.net/articles/courtney_love.html  

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 10:18:37 AM »
The only way I condone home brew games is on dead systems, and why hack the GCN when the DC is only 30 and easier

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 12:05:38 PM »
Why are people calling this emulation? It's not emulation.  It's loading the GC rips from your PC  onto  your GC via the broadband adapter.  And it does work.  I've tried it (just to see if it works).   oh well.  It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 12:14:20 PM »
nm

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 12:25:56 PM »
Hey Canadian, piracy doesn't bother you ?!  Truly these are the words of a complete fool.  Sorry, but that's just my "2 Cents."

Piracy DESTROYED the Dreamcast, it's trashing the X-Box, and the web is swamped with GBA Roms sites.

Piracy SUCKS,  plain and simple.  It is and will be one of the main contributing factors in the next Video Game Indstry crash.

I know the "10 year olds" think it's cool to get something for free.  But in the end, piracy hurts EVERYONE involed in the gaming industry, including players.

However, I must say this.  Casey has a valid point about dead systems.  Once they are long dead, they are fair game.  Emulation will one day help us preserve the important games of video game history.  Even Nintendo has written their own emulators.
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 01:19:35 PM »
"Piracy SUCKS, plain and simple. It is and will be one of the main contributing factors in the next Video Game Indstry crash."

This really doesnt bother me as I can then play the 100's of games I dont have time to play now.

I simply dont give a crap about the industry as a whole, same goes for the recording industry. If it means they dissapear for a while, then so be it. I have a lot of other things to do.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 03:58:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Yuji Miyamoto
Piracy DESTROYED the Dreamcast.....

Back up that statement with some proof.  I've always heard that Sega killed the Dreamcast (and Saturn) due to stupid business decisions.  Do you have any proof that piracy was the DC killer?

I doubt it.  Just paranoia and foolishness.

Anyway, I earlier said "Piracy will not kill the GameCube.  Or the Box.  Or the PS2."  What WILL kill these systems?  Simple:
- Nintendo Console #5 (GC2?)
- X-box 2
- Playstation 3
They will die because of their own obsolecence NOT piracy.  Go study videogame history if you believe otherwise.  The *2nd* most pirated console was the PS1, and it has sold ~110 million units (and counting).  Hardly hurting from piracy, wouldn't you say?

Favorite classic games

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 08:34:49 PM »
Piracy raped the Dreamcast.  It's common fact.  Yes the DC was eventurally canned by Sega for other reasons.  However piracy delivered a MAJOR fatal blow to a system that was at equal to, if not better than the Ps2.

Also, another FACT, is that the DC was the only system to be fully cracked.  It could play burned games without a mod chip.  That was a serious blow.  The same thing is happening to the X-Box now, and truthfully I think it will only get worse.

I know people who own an X-Box system and yet they do not own a single, legitimate game.  The same thing happened  with the DC, and it seriously shortened the systems life span.  10 year olds could get ISO's off of freakin' Kazaa.  Your'e telling me that didn't hurt the system?!  
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 04:17:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Yuji Miyamoto
Piracy raped the Dreamcast.  It's common fact.  Yes the DC was eventurally canned by Sega for other reasons.  However piracy delivered a MAJOR fatal blow to a system that was at equal to, if not better than the Ps2.

You're still offering opinion.  Give me some facts.  Show me numbers to prove that Dreamcast was hurt in sales by piracy.

Anyway, I've got some numbers for you from November 2000:
Millions
of
Units Generation Console
---- 128-bit GameCube (not released)
3.0 128-bit Playstation 2
5.0 128-bit Dreamcast

As you can see, the Dreamcast was doing quite well... piracy was having no effect on sales.    DC was killed by PS2... pure and simple.  Piracy had NOTHING to do with it.

The most pirated machines in the world, Commodore=64 and PlayStation 2, are also among the most successful.  "Piracy kills machines" is a myth along with unicorns.  It doesn't happen.

Favorite classic games

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 05:24:02 AM »
honda

your avatar is still way to big and I would hate to see you get banned. It cant be bigger than 64x64, yours is currently 120x90

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 06:51:01 AM »
64x64.... how was I supposed to know that?  It's not documented on the Avatar Select screen.

Also, my file was only 2K in size... hardly huge.
Favorite classic games

Offline ExtremeGcube

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 09:53:13 AM »
Piracy will hurt the current generation in this way?

1) Developers in the past have ben leary of developing for the gamecube because third party games tend to sell less on the gamecube.

2) With piracy will come a loss of revenue due to less game sales.

3) Developers will lose even more money on a system they were worried about in the first place

Developers will make fewer and fewer games for the gamecube.  This can happen to the other systems as well but nintendo is the only one having problems holding developers attention.

Secondly this is a form of piracy, because once the image files are made, they can be transferred.  I wouldnt be surprised if the image files make their way onto kazaa, Im sure they are on IRC already.  Once one downloads the image file they can load it.  Thus circuventing the actual paying money for a game.  About the only ones who can gain from this piracy is video game rental stores.  People will go to rent in order to capture the image file.

That is all
The last temptation is the greatest treason To do the right deed for the wrong reason.  ~ T.S. Eliot

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 10:15:54 AM »

You may add a custom avatar (also called a "author icon") to your profile.  It should be no more than 64x64 pixels in physical size, and no more than 20KB in data size.  It should not contain any offensive graphics or needless animation, and you agree to remove or change your avatar if requested by a moderator.  

Hond, you agreed to this, just letting you know.

Anyhow, yeah, piracy hurts sales, you are a moron if you don't realize that.  There AREN'T hard facts on losses, who is going to go around asking all the pirates if they would buy the game.  No, they systems aren't going to die.  Yes, they could do better if everyone had to buy the games.  The end.