Author Topic: enter the matrix  (Read 10289 times)

Offline thecool1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
enter the matrix
« on: March 31, 2003, 12:15:25 PM »
WOW....i just saw the trailer....this game looks pimp! what do u guys think?

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 12:40:22 PM »
I think it looks OK.  The only reason I say this is because of all the movies I have seen (given that is not too many, maybe 4 or so) so many different things are going on.  This perplexes me because, either this game has a large amount of moves (bad because one will likely have to hit extreme button combinations and I'm not the button-mashing type gamer) or one can only do certain things at one time (bad because the gameplay is restricted).  However, I will hold off my decision on this game until I read some reviews and rent it.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 02:49:12 PM »
Time to resurrect this discussion for a bit.

I just got around to reading the PGC preview of this game (about time, I'm usually quicker with that kind of thing).  And I was confused by this one part:

The game won’t be all razzle-dazzle. People hoping to really enter the Matrix will be able to hack into their game for an old-fashioned text-based experience. The more proficient your hacking skills, the more you will be able to alter the reality of your world.
What exactly does this mean?  Will they have something like a DOS screen?  If so, what will it do?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: enter the matrix
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 02:57:23 PM »
hey, im interested too now! i have no h4x000ring sk33lz, so i wont be able to

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 04:15:55 PM »
The game certainly has style, but impressions I've read so far haven't necessarily been well... favorable. Nevertheless it'll still sell millions of copies... quality not needed to sell.

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 07:22:24 PM »
I think people will expect the title to be the same quality as the movie, which it probably wont.

Im not sure if I will pick it up but im leaning towards not.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 03:06:16 AM »
i have a feeling that, despite my better judgement now, i'll watch the movie, and while still lulled by the special effects, go and pick up the game. Sounds like it'll be an above average game, though better than most of the movie-to-game conversions we've seen before.

The "hacking" concept sounds like a debug mode. Essentially, there'd be different items like gravity, inertia, collision detection, etc. and you could change the values of them, likely at any point during the game. Since the Matrix is really just a detailed virtual world, it lends itself really well to this. If this is true, it could up the replay of the game a bit, at least for players willing to experiment.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 07:33:54 AM »
if the game was based on Neo and trinity i'd be much more interested.

as of now a rental shopping i will go.

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 11:03:02 AM »
if the game was based on neo, it would just be like playing a game on god-mode/invincible. maybe fun for a bit but no real skill, and gets boring really fast. i think that if theres a version to get of this game it will probably be the pc one. it just seems like they'll be able to do more with a mouse/keyboard combo than with any of the controllers. i have no idea how the controls are going to be set up but just from the amount of moves i've seen in movies etc. it seems this way...

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 02:04:11 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about the controller layout...
-Kenny

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 03:00:08 PM »
lol trying to hack using the Gamecube controller.  You would have to move the control stick up everytime you wanted to change a letter.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 03:05:47 PM »

Originally posted by: kennyb27
Time to resurrect this discussion for a bit.

I just got around to reading the PGC preview of this game (about time, I'm usually quicker with that kind of thing).  And I was confused by this one part:

The game won’t be all razzle-dazzle. People hoping to really enter the Matrix will be able to hack into their game for an old-fashioned text-based experience. The more proficient your hacking skills, the more you will be able to alter the reality of your world.
What exactly does this mean?  Will they have something like a DOS screen?  If so, what will it do?

Now THAT sounds interesting.  Provided it is realistic at all, and not some button mashing mini-game.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Zomboi

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 03:24:21 PM »
Yup, I recently pre-ordered it and I am very intrigued by that piece in PGC's article. I wonder how it would work *ponders*. Hey wasn't there a PC game I think it was called Neocron or something like that, and it allowed you to hack certain doors and stuff by blocking a little spark like thing. I dunno maybe I'm just blathering on to myself here (I have a tendency to do that).
Sure getting shot the first few times IS annoying but knowing that after a hards days work you'll eventually get a meal.........well that just makes the day worth it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2003, 06:29:27 AM »
Imagine a geek developing some Perl-script that finds and deletes all Agents...

Or: killall -9 Agent

I don't even want to imagine what some people will do to that game...

Offline TheOnionMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2003, 10:38:13 AM »
I think this game is getting way too much hype. This is happening cuz so many people are obsessed with the Matrix.
Some people are just goobers..

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2003, 10:41:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Gharakh
if the game was based on neo, it would just be like playing a game on god-mode/invincible. maybe fun for a bit but no real skill, and gets boring really fast. i think that if theres a version to get of this game it will probably be the pc one. it just seems like they'll be able to do more with a mouse/keyboard combo than with any of the controllers. i have no idea how the controls are going to be set up but just from the amount of moves i've seen in movies etc. it seems this way...

it actually wouldnt be like playing GOD, otherwise there would be no story for Reloaded and Revolutions

its obvious that while Neo is the toughest, hes still not totally invincible, you know he has to fight 100 agent smiths in Reloaded

damn i wanna see that movie

LZ 2005

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2003, 12:02:21 PM »
I've been hearing only lukewarm previews of the game.  But if anything will entice me to pick it up, it would be EB's new "freebie" (read:  after rebate) offer.  Buy the game and get the Animatrix DVD (!) and strategy guide (meh...) free after $20 and $15 rebate, respectively.  That still leaves you at $85+tax less in your wallet until several months later.  I don't remember if the rebates were in the form of a check or gift voucher.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2003, 12:32:13 PM »
You can download the DVD of edonkey2000....like mwa

Anyways if the game has the moves that it boasts, then I am a happy camper. Thats all I would want to do anyways, just go up to a group of people, whip out a bow (karate stick) then whoop up on them. Kinda like Max Paye with the Kung Fu mod...if anyone knows what i'm talking about.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline nathan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2003, 02:01:19 PM »
if the game is going to be long (no 007 AUF or nightfire crap) and has a multiplayer mode, im buying it without a doubt.  so far, the matrix website is saying 25-30 hrs of gameplay; however, ive heard nothing of multiplayer.  im pretty content with any decent game and this looks pretty promising.  and plus, i have $23 credit at gamestop that i need to use .  if its possible that i can rent it first, i believe i will; but i have yet to make a final decision.  
Im Nathan1981 on TGN

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2003, 02:24:43 PM »
I really hope this game lives up to the hype though, the game looks awesome and looks like it plays awesome.  I mean using the matrix moves will be the best part of the game.  Hopefully this game is no button masher.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2003, 06:38:09 PM »
It just looks like another beat-em-up.  I want a Matrix game that really makes use of the franchise - where you can go in and out of the Matrix at your will and make decisions.  Maybe an action-RPG style would be good (makes sense, considering how the characters get so much better as the original movie progresses).  I wanna be able to make difficult ethical decisions and have to think my way through to some degree.  This game is just a pure action game.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 12:19:23 PM »
But so is the movie....its pure action, unless I missed something?
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2003, 01:19:20 PM »
hey guys the "hacking" thing that kennyb27 mentions is actually something were you can give yourself items. Like in the movie Neo picked out his guns before saving morpheus, i think you can "hack" yourself some guns to start the level with.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
enter the matrix
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2003, 02:26:44 PM »
I'm afraid to see how the hacking works with the GC controller.  Imagine scrolling through letters, no fun whatsoever.
-Kenny

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2003, 02:32:35 PM »
In the example i gave, you wouldn't need to type, just scroll through variables and values. Not as fast as a keyboard, but much easier than typing in PSO with the controller.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."