Author Topic: iPad...meh  (Read 69510 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: iPad...meh
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
I have to admit I'm rather "meh" on the iPad too. A couple things, though:
  • iCall, a voip app developer, was given the green light to develop for the iPad. So there could be a phone app eventually...
  • Biggest missed opportunity? Lack of a front-facing camera. iChat is crying.
  • I don't know what your reasoning is, thatguy, but the App Store could easily be one of this thing's biggest selling points.
  • Not enough storage for the price. Not near enough. And why no SD Card slot?
Here's an interesting take on it.

The app store is a glorified internet browser.  While it standardizes specifications and gathers everything in one place, most apps deliver functions that can easily be found on the internet, on various websites.

It's nothing special, really, especially not for a larger, more expensive device than the iPad, since you can take a laptop online and use flash, java, or just generally download executables that have the same function.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »
The App Store is to Web apps what iTunes/Amazon MP3/etc. are to file sharing services. You can get a lot of the same stuff from the latter, but the former is just a better experience and most definitely worth the cost.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »
I'm glad that everyone's responses here are much smarter than a certain otehr board I visit. Over on this other world of dreack I will not name, several members were criticising the iPad for lacking a DVD drive of all things. Here's a hint; if you wanted Apple to release a portable DVD player, you are not their target market, you are an imbecile.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:33 AM »
a DVD drive..... seriously?

have these people never heard of iTunes and the store full of music, movies and TV shows that is attached to it?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
No, they're generally the same people who hate iPods and think that no one will ever stream HD movies ever.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »
Oh.... so it's a good thing services like Netflix and Hulu were never invented and surely didn't become popular and (in Netflix's case) profitable.

Where do these people live?
Under a rock?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
I'm not going to say the thing *should* have a DVD drive, I could care less, but still, it wouldn't hurt, or add to the cost by any significant amount.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Wouldn't it make sense to have a single USB port instead so that anyone can plug in what they want?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
It seems like some people want this thing to be an official Apple version of a ModBook.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Well, how do you put pictures on it?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
Connect it to your PC/Mac via the docking station?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:58 PM »
It can do wifi PC to PC right?

I can pull music, videos and other files of of one computer from a different computer through the wifi router connection. iPad can atleast do that right?

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
I'm glad that everyone's responses here are much smarter than a certain otehr board I visit. Over on this other world of dreack I will not name, several members were criticising the iPad for lacking a DVD drive of all things. Here's a hint; if you wanted Apple to release a portable DVD player, you are not their target market, you are an imbecile.

Wow, you're harsh......
What would be wrong with it having a DVD drive?  Not everyone in the world is tech savvy and maybe they'd like it to be able to play their physical DVD collection.  I fail to see how that makes them imbeciles.  Perhaps they prefer ease of use in a medium in which they are accustomed and comfortable?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
It's a giant iPhone/iPodTouch.
Do either of those have a DVD drive to allow for viewing of movies and TV shows?

The only things that do surprise me is that it has no camera and no USB slot.

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
It's a giant iPhone/iPodTouch.
Do either of those have a DVD drive to allow for viewing of movies and TV shows?

The only things that do surprise me is that it has no camera and no USB slot.

With the fanfare with which the device was announced, it is hardly surprising that many people are feeling crestfallen at what was actually unveiled.........a giant iphone.  Many people were hoping this would be so much more then that, including having features such as a camera, USB slot, and yes, a DVD drive.  If Apple had said 'we took the iphone and made it bigger!!!' then I don't think anyone would be harping on its lack of DVD drive.  As it is, this isn't the device the public was expecting, and therefore their reaction of dislike should not have them labelled as imbecilic.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
The only way the lack of a forward-facing camera makes any sense is if they're holding it back for the next model, but that's an incredibly arrogant thing to do, even by Apple standards.

Really? Cuz i think its incredibly arrogant for Apple to discontinue their 160gb iPod "Classic" and instead only selling it in 80/120gb models, as well as skipping the "classic" model when deciding to add a camera to the "nano" model that don't have anywhere near enough memory to make it a decent camera/camcorder on top of decent mp3 player and ultimately releasing a stripped down iphone that is the itouch with NO camera even though the Nano still has one which until recently had equal amount of available memory as an itouch.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
The only thing I've ever liked Apple for is there computers. They never skimp on those and any proprietary software can be easily ignored. That said, a Jail-Broken iPhone is the best DOMESTIC phone on the market.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »
The only way the lack of a forward-facing camera makes any sense is if they're holding it back for the next model, but that's an incredibly arrogant thing to do, even by Apple standards.

Really? Cuz i think its incredibly arrogant for Apple to discontinue their 160gb iPod "Classic" and instead only selling it in 80/120gb models, as well as skipping the "classic" model when deciding to add a camera to the "nano" model that don't have anywhere near enough memory to make it a decent camera/camcorder on top of decent mp3 player and ultimately releasing a stripped down iphone that is the itouch with NO camera even though the Nano still has one which until recently had equal amount of available memory as an itouch.

All of those are limitations of the technology, except for the first one, where they consolidated the iPod Classic from two models (80 and 160 GB) to one (120 GB), and they recently changed it so the one model is 160 GB.

J.P. Corbran

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »
SilverGrey, two things on the lack of DVD.

1) Right or wrong, Apple has a habit of getting rid of tech a little earlier than it should. It was the same with floppies. There's talk that some versions of the Macbook Pro laptops in the future will be without DVD drives, too, freeing up a slot for another hard drive or video card or something else.

2) Including a DVD drive would add bulk and weight, both of which would cut down on the usefulness of a device you're meant to hold in your hands.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
SilverGrey, two things on the lack of DVD.

1) Right or wrong, Apple has a habit of getting rid of tech a little earlier than it should. It was the same with floppies. There's talk that some versions of the Macbook Pro laptops in the future will be without DVD drives, too, freeing up a slot for another hard drive or video card or something else.

2) Including a DVD drive would add bulk and weight, both of which would cut down on the usefulness of a device you're meant to hold in your hands.

Number 1 is news to me, and interesting.  Talk is talk, any word when such a revolution would actually occur?  Number 2 I'm aware of, and I do understand that it wouldn't necessarily make the device practical for its intended use.  I'm not objecting to its lack of DVD drive, I was objecting to the implication that people who wished it had one must be not very bright.  Obviously Apple must have known who they were intending this device to be used by, or they wouldn't have made it (one would hope).  However, changes in the public's understanding of technology take time, and a device like an iPad would initially be met with suspicion anyways, and even moreso considering it doesn't contain things that most people are comfortable using, like a USB port or a DVD drive.  No the iPad was not intended for everyone to be interested in it, but they also don't seem to have done much to make it a comforting transition, for lack of a better word.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »
It's a tablet computer.  You hold it in your hands and move around.  How are you supposed to put a DVD drive in it without scratching up the discs?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
@insano:

What I meant was later on adding features when the technology and price were more feasable but only to certain models. It makes much more sense for me to want to rebuy a 160gb iPod Classic (should I lose or damage my current one) that comes with a camera feature over a 16gb iPod Nano, right? Hell the Classic used to be the iPod photo then video, so why can't they make it TAKE photos and videos than just viewing them?

I'm the consumer here and it irks me to no end that should I have to replace my current ipod I'll have to settle for something less than what I want. I don't want to have to buy an ipod nano to take videos, or and iphone. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an iTouch but its available memory is far less than what my needs dictate, and is also missing features from other ipod models (even the inferior nano). What gives? A 64gb itouch wouldn't be too bad, if I kept my movies off the device, and its slimmer than my 160gb classic..  but then the appeal of owning the touch is gone because i'd like to be able to watch my movies on a bigger screen.

Guess I'll just have to wait for a few more years before the tech is even cheaper to mass produce at a price range where apple can seriously rape my wallet, instead of putting a small deant in it.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
I really think it should have a DVD drive though. If it's meant to be a tablet computer, then how am I suppose to install anything on it? Download it through Apple? Fat chance/
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
I just think it's funny that even though everyone agrees that the iPad unveiling was disappointing, there's still endless debate over just how disappointing it was, or just what exactly made it disappointing.  I'm willing to agree to disagree with people, but for myself personally, I wouldn't be interested in the iPad because it doesn't fulfill the needs I would have for such a device, which includes playing the DVDs that I already own without going through a lot of hassle.  I don't think that makes me or anybody else an imbecile, rather an informed consumer.  I won't be one of the people who buys it, and then shows up online somewhere complaining it didn't have a DVD drive or a camera or whatnot.  Know the product before purchasing.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »
I'm disappointed because it doesn't exactly meet the needs of anything.