Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Coming to the Wii This Spring  (Read 7490 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Netflix Streaming Coming to the Wii This Spring
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
Pretty much expected (especially after it was announced for the PS3), but I am happy. I stopped doing Netflix streaming because it's total crap that a 90 minute movie takes 3 hours to watch (because of how many times it stopped to buffer, even with my fast Internet connection).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
It is your computer or your connection. Netflix streaming works perfect on all 3 computers I've used it on.

You should try clearing your cache before playing a movie, upgrade your ram, use a different browser(works in IE, FF & Chrome) and check you internet connection. It could be a bad wireless signal if you are using a wireless router.

You can try these site to test you internet connection speed.
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

You need atleast a constant connection speed of 3mbs to get the highest quality video, if you speed fluctuates, then the quality will drop or the video will stop to buffer.

So basically it boils down to you either having a crappy computer an/or a crappy connection.
But I stream movies about 4-5 times a week and never have an issue with loading or buffering.

edit: right now I'm on a crappy laptop with a comcast wireless connection
10mbs down / 2.5mbs up - Netflix works flawlessly
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:20:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »
This is pretty cool...I have my Wii hooked up to my SD CRT in the living room anyways.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
I don't think it would be a problem if Nintendo created a Wii reviison (in fact, that would be a great idea), just so long as it doesn't break compatibility with any of the existing Wii games out there, and also as long as it doesn't enable new games that break compatibility with the old Wiis out there.

For that to work out this Wii revision would probably have to do its HD via upscale conversion only.
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
HDTVs already have baseline upscalers for whatever you plug into it (otherwise the Wii picture would show up as a tiny box inside a vast black box).  A Wii that upscales wouldn't offer anything.  An HD-resolution Wii would be necessary to make a real difference.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »
It is your computer or your connection. Netflix streaming works perfect on all 3 computers I've used it on.

I heard the streaming has improved with Netflix. The last time I did was about 2 years ago and I can guarantee that it was Netflix that was slow, not my computer or Internet connection.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
This doesn't interest me, but I do wonder how popular this service will be on Wii. Because the secondary features of the Wii aren't really advertised, I'd assume that almost everybody who owns one bought it for games. Movie watchers probably already have the streaming service from some other device which does it better.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
I use Netflix streaming, and the one thing that I'd like is to be able to watch on my tv instead. I don't have a video out cable for my computer, and I'd honestly rather not deal with the hassle, so this'll be perfect for me. :D
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »
You can't really judge something from how it worked 2 years ago! lol

I use Netflix probably at least 3-4 days a week to watch something.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Not that anyone cares, but Michael Pacter is predicting that Wii adoption rate of this will be low. We all know how often Pachter is wrong, and he made this prediction only a few hours after Netflix announced it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
A low adoption rate on Wii could still be a much higher userbase than what we're seeing on the 360 and definitely the PS3.

Either way, it's a win for Netflix as even a 5% adoption rate = >1million subscribers who are either new or finding new places to watch their movies.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Oddly enough, this is the one thing that has finally gotten me interested in Netflix.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »
I take it you don't watch DVD/BR movies very often, don't have a HDTV with PC/media center connected to it or don't have you computer in a position that is easy to watch from somewhere extremely comfortable to sit/lay (like your bed).

I really hoping to see some sort of video showing the setup and playback quality for the Wii version.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
I take it you don't watch DVD/BR movies very often, don't have a HDTV with PC/media center connected to it or don't have you computer in a position that is easy to watch from somewhere extremely comfortable to sit/lay (like your bed).

Actually, I do have a Blu-Ray player (just finished watching the original Turtles movie). I think that Netflix streaming on Wii just has that instant gratification/convience factor I've been missing.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
It is great, I stream all sorts of movies that I wouldn't have watched otherwise.
It's especially great when there is nothing on TV and nothing on the internet and you just want to lay down and watch something mildly entertaining.

The random movies (including New Releases) that come in the mail several times a week are also a HUGE bonus too. ;)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »
I wonder if Netflix has stopped punishing their most loyal customers. When I stopped subscribing in June 2008, they would punish people who rented a lot of movies from them (they would do this by having movies sent farther away. For example, if you lived in Dallas, Texas and rent too many movies in a month, they will start shipping movies from someplace like Pittsburgh or Seattle so that it takes longer for you to get your movies and longer for them to get them back). I would go from 4 or 5 discs a weeks to about 1 at the end of the month because they would send me discs from the other side of the country.

Speaking of Blu-ray Disc, I know most Netflix customers are still upset that Netflix charges an extra $1 a month to be able to even have access to BD movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 11:23:13 PM »
Maybe they sent them from further away because your local dispensary only had so many copies and out sourced you supply to a different dispensary?

As far as BRDs, they are much more expensive than DVD's so it only makes sense that the would charge more to access them. and $1 a month is hardly something to bitch about when you are getting the version that cost $10 more at the store.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
This would happen every month, and ranged from niche titles to big titles. This is (or at least was at the time) a wide-spread complaint among Netflix customers. I know why they did it (because the fewer titles a customer rents, the more money the company makes. So they hate when customers rent a lot of movies).

The main complaint is that they did not charge extra for Blu-ray Discs until after Toshiba announced it was ending the HD DVD format. Up until that point Netflix let customers get Blu-rau Discs and HD DVDs along with DVDs. A few months after HD DVD ended, Netflix announced they would start requiring that $1 surcharge to get be able to rent BD's (BTW, that is the official abbreviation according to the Blu-ray Disc Association, not "BRD"). It's bad enough companies are screwing the few consumers who are actually interested in Blu-ray Disc (NO movie should ever be $25, yet alone the $35 some movies cost on BD, even $20 is too much for a movie).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »
But wouldn't that $1 charge held off in hopes of competition driving cost down?
As soon as it was clear BDs  were the winner and HDDVD was out of the race, Netflix knew there was no hope in lower prices coming anytime soon.

Not to mention the kind of breaks Netflix probably got from both camps to push HD disc rentals in hopes of getting people to upgrade their players and support the format. If HDDVD was giving Netflix a discount and BD wasn't then it would look bad for BD if it had cost more to rent those and not HDDVDs when they were basically delivering the same quality content.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:08 AM »
I'm happy it's coming. I'm getting tired of sitting at my computer watching streamed movies.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
I'm curious to see how the Wii will stream a longer movie. The system has less than a gig of RAM, and a lot of that space is being taken up by VC games or channels. Will I have to "clean the fridge" every time I want to stream a movie, or do I just not understand how streaming works?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 08:35:45 PM »
Onbord Flash is not RAM.  Wii has like 640K of Hi-Memory.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
I've streamed some decent length good quality videos on the Nintendo Channel without issue.
If those continue to play without a so much as a problem and you have a steady internet connection over 2mbs streaming on Wii shouldn't be a problem either.

It's nice to have a 10 minute buffer on the computer just incase your connection stutters or your computer hiccups, but it's not necessary with a fast and steady connection and quick/efficient video processing.

& I'm pretty sure that when you insert the Netflix disc it shuts down all things the Wii doesn't need to run the program. That should give almost 100% id the Wii resources towards running the videos.

Offline brian577

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
Onbord Flash is not RAM.  Wii has like 640K of Hi-Memory.

More like 88MB