Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

<< < (2/5) > >>

Evan_B:

--- Quote from: Adrock on January 12, 2023, 08:27:46 PM ---
--- Quote ---4 - Sky - If the Loftwing is limited to the "heavenly" part of the sky maybe there are certain natural or unnatural barriers that keep you from just flying to any portion right off the bat.
--- End quote ---
Part of me thinks the floating landmasses is how Nintendo plans on changing the surface as in they lift up from Hyrule which not only alters huge areas of the surface but opens up underground caves.
--- End quote ---
While that seems like a great idea, it proves problematic when closely examining any of the previous promotional material, as the topography of Hyrule seems mostly unchanged, save for the absence of Sheikah shrines. Still, exploring the surface is going to be an essential part of finding routes into the sky, which I think is going to be the major objective for combing over Hyrule again.

I do think that people are vastly overestimating the existence and depth of caves, as we have seen brief references and hints at subterranean areas but nowhere near the extent or importance of the sky-focused content. Now, admittedly, we haven’t seen much of the actual masses in the sky and that could be used as an excuse for the lack of information about caves, but if there were going to be grandiose underground caverns or even intricate networks, I feel as if the developers would prioritize telegraphing that element to us in the promotional material.

The fact remains that we’re going into the close months leading up to launch and it still feels like we know very little, which I honestly prefer. A major part of Breath of the Wild was discovery and not knowing what to expect from this game adds to its overall mystique.

Caterkiller:

--- Quote from: Evan_B on January 12, 2023, 09:30:26 PM ---I do think that people are vastly overestimating the existence and depth of caves, as we have seen brief references and hints at subterranean areas but nowhere near the extent or importance of the sky-focused content. Now, admittedly, we haven’t seen much of the actual masses in the sky and that could be used as an excuse for the lack of information about caves, but if there were going to be grandiose underground caverns or even intricate networks, I feel as if the developers would prioritize telegraphing that element to us in the promotional material.

The fact remains that we’re going into the close months leading up to launch and it still feels like we know very little, which I honestly prefer. A major part of Breath of the Wild was discovery and not knowing what to expect from this game adds to its overall mystique.

--- End quote ---

Judging by Aonuma's words, I think a decently meaty underground is in store for us. However his little comments about exploring the sky and an expanded world really don't mean much at the moment. It's the initial story trailer that leads me to believe we will have more underground caverns and such.

When looking at our very first teaser/trailer of Breath of the Wild we saw Link and horse just idle in a massive field and then all of a sudden a giant Gardian comes around destroying everything. Link jumps off the horse in super cinematic bullet time fashion and shoots an ancient arrow. At first glance it seemed like yeah that was just a fancy in engine(or maybe cgi) concept of what the game may or could look like. When I really think about it however the only thing in the final game not found in that trailer were the Shieka locals farming or gathering. That trailer gave us relatively honest gameplay hints. Big world to explore, giant robots would chase you down and there is indeed a bullet time mechanic when you pull out the bow.

It all looked too cool to be true but it was very evocative of actual gameplay.

Fast forward to our first look at Tears of the Kingdom and looks to me the same thing is happening. We are given a very story heavy look at the game. Zelda and Link exploring a fairly well lit dungeon/cavern. A big ceiling worm to fight in cave and what ever the devil else. Looks to me that the trailer is telling us this game will be more story heavy and we should expect a lot of underground to go with the sky.

BlackNMild2k1:
I'm completely out of the loop, and haven't fired my Switch up for some time now.... but a New Zelda has my attention.

Is there a recent video or something that released? When exactly is this coming out?
And when I looked it up.... why was it said to be one of if not the last big release on the Switch!?

Is the Switch Pro, or Switch 2 on the horizon? and what do we know about that?
Where are all the credible rumors surrounding that?

Adrock:

--- Quote from: Evan_B on January 12, 2023, 09:30:26 PM ---While that seems like a great idea, it proves problematic when closely examining any of the previous promotional material, as the topography of Hyrule seems mostly unchanged, save for the absence of Sheikah shrines.
--- End quote ---
Maybe. 🤷‍♀️

Like you said, we know very little. If I was going to hide anything about the game, reshaping portions of the overworld and how that happens would be it. Some things don't need to be changed though such as the stables and villages. I do wonder where the sky islands come from, and it just reminds me of Skyloft. The first teaser from E3 2021 shows Hyrule Castle lifting off the ground.

--- Quote from: Caterkiller on January 13, 2023, 12:02:16 AM ---Judging by Aonuma's words, I think a decently meaty underground is in store for us.
--- End quote ---
I don't know how meaty it's going to be though I expect some cave and underground areas especially after that scene with Zelda apparently falling through the ground in the 2021 E3 teaser (unless that’s a red herring or a vision/dream). It's one way to add new exploration opportunities if Tears of the Kingdom is going to share the same basic overworld.

--- Quote from: BlackNMild2k1 on January 13, 2023, 01:27:23 AM ---Is there a recent video or something that released? When exactly is this coming out?
--- End quote ---
1. Not since the trailer/title reveal trailer a few months ago.
2. May 12, 2023.

--- Quote ---Is the Switch Pro, or Switch 2 on the horizon? and what do we know about that?
Where are all the credible rumors surrounding that?
--- End quote ---
1. Nothing announced.
2. Last rumor I read, a Switch Pro was planned and quietly cancelled due to some weird thing that happened in 2020.

Luigi Dude:
The size of any underground area will probably depend on how big the Sky sections will be.  If the Sky Islands end up equaling a size similar to Hyrule then I have a hard time seeing an equally large underground section.  Even if normal Hyrule has remained mostly unchanged, creating all those brand new area's in the Sky is still a large task for the developers.

Even though they've been working on this for close to 6 years, that would still be a massive undertaking to create 2 completely new worlds and still update the existing Hryule.  Now I imagine new caves will have been created for the original Hyrule to give new things to find there but I don't know how doable it will be to have a giant underground section comparable to other area's.

I think part of the reason for this game taking so long is because we'll be getting some massive dungeons this time.  The biggest complaint about BOTW was the Divine Beast weren't a good substitute for traditional dungeons, so I think the Zelda team has found a way to make some massive dungeons like the previous games, but still make them work with the open world gameplay of BOTW.  That's the part I'm most interested in seeing what they've done for this game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version