Author Topic: Nintendo Sues Nyko Over Knock-off Nunchuk  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Les Thomas

• NWR Staff News Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Sues Nyko Over Knock-off Nunchuk
« on: June 15, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
Nintendo claims the Nyko Kama Wireless Nunchuk accessory infringes on their intellectual property rights, wants product pulled and cash.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16152

Nintendo believes the Nyko Kama Wireless Nunchuk "wholly appropriates the novel shape, design, overall appearance and even the color and materials used in the Nintendo Nunchuk controller."    

Nyko creates a variety of Wii accessories and seems stunned and confused by the suit.  "We have not knowingly violated anyone's intellectual property and we're still examining this," said Nyko spokesman CC Swiney on Thursday.  The Kama Nunchuk generally costs 50% more than the genuine Nintendo Nunchuk.    

Nintendo filed suit in federal court in Seattle June 10.  This is the first time Nintendo has sued over an accessory for their well-liked Wii system.  Nintendo is seeking a court injunction to stop the sale of the wireless controller and a cash settlement in an unspecified amount.    

"While Nintendo supports the creations of innovation games and products used with our game systems, we cannot allow third parties to infringe our intellectual property rights," said Denise Kaigler, Vice President of Nintendo of America.  No word yet if Nintendo plans to sue other companies that produce wireless nunchuk accessories.

Les Thomas, Staff News Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sues Nyko Over Knock-off Nunchuk
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:34:05 PM »
I don't get why sue over this compared to any other 3rd party device.  Maybe they had their own wireless one in the works?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »
Nintendo: "Hey Nyko, what's up?"

Nyko: "Dude, WTF!?!"
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
Yes, they probably had a wireless model up their sleeves.

But maybe this is in response to the lawsuit they just lost over patent infringement for the gamecube and classic controllers.  They lose a bunch of money in a lawsuit, so they sue someone else to make up for it?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:21:43 AM »
Actually, it's there in the first quote. Nintendo's not suing Nyko because of technology, they claim to be suing Nyko because the Kama Nunchuk looks too much like their own!

Nintendo believes the Nyko Kama Wireless Nunchuk "wholly appropriates the novel shape, design, overall appearance and even the color and materials used in the Nintendo Nunchuk controller."
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »
Confirmed: Nintendo = Pricks
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »
It is a very bully-ish thing for them to be doing...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
I don't get why sue over this compared to any other 3rd party device.  Maybe they had their own wireless one in the works?

I don't think that's it.  I mean, Nintendo had their own GameCube memory cards and wireless GameCube Controllers - they didn't sue any third party companies over those.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »
Jerks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:13:52 PM »
Nintendo decided that Universal had the right idea and intends to to make a profit with their legal department.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »
This is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.  As the article stated, Nyko's nunchuk looks almost identical to Nintendo's.  Simply put, it's unacceptable and Nyko should have realized that they can't blatantly copy Nintendo's design.

Don't worry--I'm sure Nyko will change the shape a bit (and maybe throw in a turbo button or two) and begin selling them as the Kama 2.0 Nunckuk by the end of summer.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!