Author Topic: High Voltage Working on 3DS Conduit Title  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
High Voltage Working on 3DS Conduit Title
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

The process of porting the Conduit 2 version of their Quantum3 engine has gone 'pretty darn well'.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25063

In an interview with Eurogamer, High Voltage Software's Eric Nofsinger quietly announced that there is a title in the Conduit series under development for 3DS.

Nofsinger, the chief creative officer at High Voltage, spoke well of the process of porting their Quantum3 engine to 3DS. While still early in development, many of their development resources are now moving from Wii's Conduit 2 to the 3DS Conduit project, he notes that, even prior to optimization, "It runs pretty darn well with full 3D and everything."

Nofsinger states that the core gameplay is already in place and that the visuals are "going to be able to have something very close to this [Conduit 2] on the 3DS probably by GDC." The lower resolution of the 3DS is offset by the smaller screen size.

He also believes that High Voltage's experience in console development will provide an advantage over developers who work primarily in the portable space. "Developers like us that have more of a console experience on GameCube and on Wii are going to be able to take advantage of the 3D."

He also spoke highly of the decision by Nintendo to use a universal Friend Code which he hopes will deliver the true multiplayer shooter experience to a handheld gaming device.

There is currently no publisher for the title, and so far they've only had early discussions. He does note that they have spoken with the publishers of The Conduit and the upcoming sequel, Sega, are they are likely to be interested as there is "nothing like [The Conduit] at all" in the 3DS lineup.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Re: High Voltage Working on 3DS Conduit Title
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
So that's why Conduit 2 is being delayed every month

Jeez HVS, get it together.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
I know little of details of video game development, but I'd imagine the people who are working on the 3DS port already did most or all the work they can do for Conduit 2.

This is some neat news from High Voltage. Could this be a move to position themselves for more contract work once the 3DS comes out?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »
Could be a big seller if it releases in 2011

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
They better lease out their engine this time around. They could make enough money to not have to be forced to do shovelware projects just to fund the projects that they are actually passionate about.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
It sounds like the improved 3DS hardware (e.g. shaders) may negate many of the benefits of their engine -- sure they can port it quickly, but does it still outclass dedicated engine companies' stuff? Perhaps they can push the 3DS hardware like they did the Wii and get some really spectacular stuff going. Of course, then there are other hurdles -- strategically, they may want to keep it to themselves again, and I'm not sure how much work they'd have to do to make the engine ready for other companies to use, including support infrastructure.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:36 AM »
One thing I will never understand is how people like and/or are excited about games in The Conduit series. I have no faith in Conduit 2 and I can careless about the supposed 3DS version. I think the only HVS game I enjoyed is Hunter: The Reckoning. Now if HVS can make another game in that series then I would be at least remotely interested.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
I think people are a little excited over HVS games such as The Conduit because HVS is so passionate about it. They seem to be the only dev I can think of that are taking the Wii gamers and the platform seriously and doing all they can to deliver something to us that we will want to play. Sure their first game might not have been all that great from a gameplay/art perspective, but it was quite impressive from a technical and graphical one.

Because of HVS and The Conduit we know have fully customizable controls as a standard in FPS that come out way and they have been taking lots of gamer input into consideration towards making The Conduit 2 everything we hoped that The Conduit 1 would have been. So if we seem a little excited over what they are doing (when it comes to original games) then it's mostly because they are too.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
I keep an eye out for Conduit news because High Voltage Software seems to be one of the few third party developers that are constantly trying to do something great and different for the Wii. That is a very small space to shout about since there too many first person shooter games out there, but it is a space that I'm interested in. Granted, High Voltage's results so far leave a lot to be desired, but it's refreshing to seem them keep trying when other developers and publishers complain and quit.