Poll

I Find it Pretty Remarkable, Don't You?

Not Really
I Suppose
It Doesn't Look Important
Its More Important Than We'll Ever Realize
Its Only Important If Miyamoto Put It There Back in 1985 (on Oct 26th)

Author Topic: Isn't There A Thread On The 50,000 Year Old Koopa Shell Yet?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Isn't There A Thread On The 50,000 Year Old Koopa Shell Yet?
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:29:42 AM »
(You are allowed to debate and change votes)

Artifact in question
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't There A Thread On The 50,000 Year Old Koopa Shell Yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:01 AM »
A marketing gimmick gone horribly wrong, perhaps?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:11 AM »
Proof that Miyamoto is much older than we think. I bet Yamauchi had one as a pet.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
This just reminded me that I started a TMNT club as a kid.  Looking back, I'm pretty sure I believed Leonardo was Jesus or something.  I even had a pet turtle.  Anyone else have one?  They were surprisingly fun.  Especially watching them chase gold fish.  However, do you remember the smell?  Man.  I can only describe that smell as "nasty death".  If it wasn't for the smell, I'd run out and buy one today.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »
How is this not in the Paleo-news thread?

Meiolania is not new. The new information here is that it lived a lot longer off the coast of Australia than we previously realized. Even THAT information is not new. Lord Howe Island has turned up dozens of specimens over the years.

Wired is very late to this particular party. But yeah, Meiolania does look kind of like Bowser. One wonders why it developed the armored, clubbed tail, thick shell, and horns on the back of the skull. What was it protecting itself from?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »
Obligatory answer first: plumbers.  Second, perhaps some megafauna predators that the species outlived, especially on islands?  But then, wouldn't the species have begun to lose the armor without selective pressure?  Maybe the species began to see the armor as "sexy."  I mean, it stands to reason that whatever adaptations increase survivability should as a side effect be seen as attractive features in a mate, right?  Then again, without predator driven selection as a factor, wouldn't that have created a feedback loop like what supposedly happened with birds of paradise?  Maybe their lifespans were long enough to prevent that by allowing multiple generations to compete for mates at the same time.

I probably should have just stuck with my first answer.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:36:26 PM »
So humans reach a new area, wipe out most of the large land animals.  All that is really news is the type of the animal we wiped out in this case.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »
Halbred laid the smack down.   Very impressive.  Feel free to move topic, I was delirious that night. 

You should seriously create a website where you hold up weird crap like Meiolania and explain it via pop culture references like Bowser 64 and what we know about it at the moment.

I'd go to that website.  You could possibly get rich off it too.  Then send us free games every now n again.....just like the way i used to toss little gold fish in my fast swimming turtle tank back in the day.