Author Topic: Want a good laugh? Visit your local arcade :).  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Want a good laugh? Visit your local arcade :).
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
I always wondered why arcades just didn't adopt the consoles?  Alot of bars have consoles hooked up, not sure if it's legal but I would think publishers would want exposure to a wider market.   Instead of charging per play, charge a flat hourly rate, also give out lunch passes (meaning 20-30 minutes passes especially at a mall where there's plenty of workers).  It would be like an internet caff but with games. 

I've seen several gaming/internet/lan cafes where they have several 360s set up with big screens. They do exactly what you describe. There is one in Bonney Lake I've discovered called GameBreakerz. They also sell games, service computers and have a DDR machine and several pool tables. I've tried to buy some games from them but they are pretty slim on the Wii side of things.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
Did you guys see that Taito is bringing a game-on-demand system to arcades in Japan?

I'm the world's leading game industry clairvoyant/megamind

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
We used to have an incredible arcade/pool hall here in Anchorage until somebody got shot and the place closed down. The building is still abandoned. This arcade had dozens of machines, old, new, you name it. Bubble Bobble, Tetris, Bust-a-Move, Mortal Kombat, Primal Rage, Aliens, Turtles in Time, and tons of others. It had things like Ski-Ball, too.

It was called the Space Station, and it is deeply missed.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »
How did someone getting shot close the place down? Or was it the owner who got shot and there was no one who could take over?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
I don't know the whole story. I suspect it wasn't the first bad thing to happen there, as the Space Station was in a (at the time) seedy area of town.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:57 PM »
I think the really shocking thing here is that the arcade was still open at all. The one at my local mall went out of business many years ago... I believe I may still have some tokens laying around somewhere.

You say there was only three people there. How can the arcade stay afloat with so few customers?
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »
I still see them every once in a while.   We have one at one of our local malls that has managed to stay afloat.  It consists entirely of old fighting games, light gun games, a few racers, and a DDR-type game that takes up a lot of floorspace.   

The only time I've really gone in there was to try the Mario Kart GP arcade unit; I wasn't impressed.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost