Author Topic: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11  (Read 35537 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
I just jailbroke my phone via jailbreakme.com It's really simple and straightforward, and just works. If Apple designed a jailbreaking method, it would be like this. I'm sending this post on my iPad, using a WiFi signal being provided by my iPhone from its 3G connection.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Which app is that?

Also, is Winterboard working for everybody? I need my smiley signal bars back.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I was doing it through MyWi. It's great; I can tether without paying extra or giving up my unlimited plan. As for Winterboard, I installed it but haven't done anything with it, so I can't speak  to it working. I also really love SBSettings and Activator.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
Thanks!
If you get a chance to try out Winterboard, let me know.

I haven't had my 5 icon dock in ages. I feel complete again.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »
What gives you the 5 app dock? That was one of the things that pushed me over the edge to do this, but I can't find the app to do it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:54:02 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
Is anyone else getting a lot of dropped calls with the new iPhone when they shouldn't?  Yes, I know how to hold it.  I live in downtown Denver  and I can't use the phone in my own apartment.  I know its a service issue, as it was the same with the 2G and I just moved in in June.  My neighbors never get dropped calls with Sprint and Verizon.  There are 3 million people in the area, we are NOT in the mountains.  How the F$$k is this happening.  I want to punch this company right in their stupid fat unreliable face.  Steve Jobs too.  That dude thinks he's the Wizard of Oz.  Far from it.  How many more days will he bend and smile over for these guys?  I was setting up a date Weds with the really hot chick and the call dropped 20 times in 45 mins.  I have never been so furious.  I was literally C-blocked by a corporation.  WTF.

Anyone have any bright ideas other than canceling my contract and getting a droid/evo/or whatever else is the next big thing?  I mean, WTF, this is 2010.  Its an 800 dolla phone.  I just don't get it.  I can't even get customer support b/c the calls keep dropping, even though I walked outside to talk to them.  Simply pathetic.  Gawd I want to give att a knee to the face so bad right now. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
My family and I were in Denver just last week. We stayed nearer the Sixteenth street mall than anywhere else. Most of my family has 3G iPhones. Most of my family had trouble with calls. I have a Droid X with Verizon, and I had a little trouble with data there, but not so much with calls, not at all like they did.

What should you do? Complain. Threaten to switch when your contract is over. Get a landline. Tell Verizon, Sprint, an any other cell phone service provider your troubles if they'll listen. See if anyone will buy out your contract if you sign one of theirs. Let Apple know you like their phone, but the service sucks. While you're at it, let AT&T know the bikini wasn't invented in my home town, Lake City, Florida, unlike their erroneous claims in their recent marketing campaign. Also, AT&T's service there is terrible, too. I don't know how my family puts up with it, and if possible, you should do whatever you can not to.

But yeah, it's not your phone. Theirs had similar problems. Good luck!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
AT&T doesn't cover as much of the country as they pretend they do (at least not very well).  You could use the "Mark the Spot" app to let them know you're having problems, though. They seem to be making improvements based on that. The new version even tells you where they're building new towers.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:48 AM »
@thatguy Good advice man, much appreciated!  And that's actually a little relieving to know they had trouble too.  Perhaps I can lead a revolt to get some more whatever we need.  Also, was anything invented in your home town?  My hometown invented Beer Nuts and Steak and Shake.  And we educated Gary Cole, a true hero.  The town is Normal IL.

@Nick, definitely going to check that app out, thx!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:05 AM »
When I was in Boston for PAX, I was getting all kinds of dropped calls. It was just terrible. Thankfully, that's the only bad experience I've had with AT&T coverage; where I live and go to school I get great coverage. He'll, I get faster speed on 3G on my iPhone and iPad than I get on the campus Wi-Fi network.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
AT&T can't handle unusual congestion. During my school's homecoming, I'm lucky if I can even make calls with all the people in the area. That happens at home too when there's something big going on, but then only when I'm in the Quarter.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
AT&T can't handle unusual congestion. During my school's homecoming, I'm lucky if I can even make calls with all the people in the area. That happens at home too when there's something big going on, but then only when I'm in the Quarter.

For planned events like these they should know because it happens EVERY YEAR.

It's like the annual crash on December 31 around 23:58hrs on every UK network. It's not like new years day was postponed by a week?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »
Yeah, I have to think that there's nothing they can do about it because it's just too big of an issue to be ignored. I mean, if they could buff up the networks for special events, they could just as easily build a better network all around.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
Ok,  I've been having serious issues with my iPhone 4 the last several weeks now.  I don't know if AT&T is doing work here in this area (northeast AR), but I'm having trouble receiving calls.  My girlfriend says she'll call three times, and the third time is when it always rings on my end. I've never had problems like this before, so I wonder if it's a cause of the phone itself or AT&T's network? It's driving me insane, really.  Never did this with my 3GS.

Oh, also...I have yet to receive my free bumper/case thing. Grrr..  :(
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
Try switching it from the 3G service to The Edge network, or whatever it's called, except when you want to browse the internet.  My sister's phone had a problem similar to yours, and the other type of service would let her send and receive texts and calls, even though it had slower data.  It was weird.  I don't think it's all that common, though.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
A flash port called "Frash" (you may remember the iPad version) is available. It's an alpha, and it's not yet in Cydia, but you can find it online.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
Try switching it from the 3G service to The Edge network, or whatever it's called, except when you want to browse the internet.  My sister's phone had a problem similar to yours, and the other type of service would let her send and receive texts and calls, even though it had slower data.  It was weird.  I don't think it's all that common, though.
Heh, see... that's the thing.  AT&T doesn't provide 3G coverage for our area.  About 45 minutes away, it does, but not here. So I've always kept it on the Edge network anyway.  It sucks.  I almost want to go Verizon... but I'd lose my unlimited data plan.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »
Doesn't Verizon offer unlimited as well for the time being?

And Sprint is still the best, 57 bucks a month (even less for some lucky bastards) for unlimited data, 450 minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile calling?  Yell hes.

I used to fancy the iPhone, but now that I've used webOS I can't bring myself to downgrade to a phone that can't multitask properly.  And when I use my roommates iPhone 3G I always find myself trying to use gestures like back swipe to get out of programs and wondering why it's not working.  I don't need 80,000 **** apps cluttering up my phone, so as long as I have ones that are truly useful to me I'm happy.  The only appeal iPhones have for me at this point is that if I was on AT&T and had one, it would eliminate my need for an iPod.  But I can live with two devices and I don't need to carry around my entire music library with me at ALL times.  Too bad Palm's hardware is so shitty, now that they're an HP subsidiary and can actually afford to spend some money I'm hoping their next phones will be up to par with their software.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
The Dev Team released an untethered jailbreak for the current firmware, 4.3.1, on Sunday, so I've been spending the parts of today when I haven't been in class updating (I was still running 4.0.1 until yesterday) and rejailbreaking. I should have held off a little while because there are some Cydia apps that don't work on the new firmware yet, and because of that I just had to do a full restore again and rejailbreak a second time.

I spent a lot of today without most of my key jailbreak tweaks, and it reminded me how much I use functionality I wouldn't have without them. LockInfo, Activator, SBSettings, biteSMS and Notified Pro are without a doubt worth the trouble I'm going through.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Apparently there is a way to unlock an iPhone 4 that has the latest modem firmware on it, without putting the iPad baseband on it. It requires an actual modified SIM card, called the Rebel Micro. Someone had one in our shop today, pretty neat, but I still don't give 2 shits about iPhones, other than making money fixing them.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »
Yeah, you can actually do a carrier unlock with that without even jailbreaking the thing. I don't know why you wouldn't want to jailbreak, though; it's really easy (redsn0w walks you through it and it only takes a couple minutes) and it adds a lot of cool functionality.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
Functionality it should already have...
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »
More like would be nice if it already had.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Apple definitely should have something like Notified Pro; their current notification system sucks (though it is apparently being overhauled for iOS 5). LockInfo would be awesome, and I could see them doing it. There's pretty much no chance of ever seeing something like Activator or anything that depends on it coming out of Cupertino, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »
That's one of the most Apple-like mods in Cydia. It makes using the iPhone 10x easier. I cans switch to airplane mode with ease or just turn everything that's not wi-fi off, if a flight has it free, that it. but yeah, the notification system does kinda suck, especially since when live in the age where you'll be using your phone for eveything but calls and texting.