Author Topic: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11  (Read 35709 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
Who gives a ****. I don't even care enough to make fun of it anymore. Get one if you want, it sucks already and it's the same phone you've been buying for 4 years now, except with a higher resolution that will be completely unnoticeable on it's 3.5" screen. At least it's cheaper than usual (I think).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »
no links to the reveal?

no front facing camera?
does it do video yet?

where's the 3D screen?

what is the MP of the camera?
dual flash?
4G?

is there anything to get excited about?

How does it stack up to the HTC EVO 4G?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
I'm excited for more lawsuits against press leaks and stuffs.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
Dude this phone looks so sick for 2 main reasons....

1. It has two cameras (front facing/forward facing) and can record 720p video at 30 fps.

2. It will be jailbroken almost immediately so video calls over 3G will definitely be possible (instead of the only WiFi restriction they have on it).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/top-8-err-9-features-of-apple-iphone-4/1954
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
Anything about a new iPod Touch?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Yeah, there's a new OS coming that allows multi-tasking among other things on June 21st. It's also free.

But I just looked up the phone that BnM posted and it's the best phone I've seen yet. Completely blows the **** out of the iPhone. I wonder how it'll fair though, once the iPhone is jail broken.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »
Anything about a new iPod Touch?

Historically, that has happened in September at the big iPod event they usually have.

Who gives a ****. I don't even care enough to make fun of it anymore. Get one if you want, it sucks already and it's the same phone you've been buying for 4 years now, except with a higher resolution that will be completely unnoticeable on it's 3.5" screen. At least it's cheaper than usual (I think).

If you truly didn't care enough, you wouldn't have created an entire thread to troll it. You're clearly not paying attention if you think that its been the same phone for four years. It's obvious you're an anti-Apple fanboy, and it would probably be best if you just avoided the subject from now on instead of going out of your way to bash everything the company does.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Yeah, there's a new OS coming that allows multi-tasking among other things on June 21st. It's also free.

But I just looked up the phone that BnM posted and it's the best phone I've seen yet. Completely blows the **** out of the iPhone. I wonder how it'll fair though, once the iPhone is jail broken.

Just so you know I've been playing the the EVO 4G till late last night.
It does Skype video chat, and I think it records a 720p too.
The screen is HUGE and I'm loving it.

I'm not gonna switch to Sprint for it (yet) since I really want to check out the Incredible before hand then wait a week or 2 to see whats next in cellphone land.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
Now that you've forced me to reply - yes, it is the same phone every year. Of course it's improved (arguably) every year, but it's still the same phone. BTW, 5MP camera, video calls only over 3G (not a 4G phone), and also...video calls only with other iPhone 4's, since it's the only phone in the US that supports this. Again - same phone, a few improvements, new suck-ass data plans, weak camera (can a 5MP camera really do 720p video?), still stuck on AT&T.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
720p is only 0.9MP.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:04 PM »
The 0.3 megapixel cameras on the DSi are equivalent to standard definition TV; 5 megapixels is many times more than is necessary for 720p. The trick isn't having a camera that is capable of that resolution; it's having hardware that's capable of encoding the video in real time. And fine, the iPhone is the same every year in the sense that any product that gets updated regularly is the same every year, but at that level I don't understand what your point in saying that is.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
So is the 3DS going to have enough PSi to compete with the Iphone 4's megadefinitions or not?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
Damn, I just read more about this and it turns out it only goes up to 32 GB. I was counting on being able to get one with 64. Oh well; I'll just have to cut back on the video I put on there. My iPad is much better suited to that anyway, and AirVideo and Netflix make storing a lot of video on the device unnecessary.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »
Despite Brandogg's complete disinterest, I'm quite excited and plan on getting one since I skipped the 3GS.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
I haven't seen anything on the iP4, but can someone tell me how they think it stacks up to the HTC EVO 4G?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:13 PM »
Who gives a ****. I don't even care enough to make fun of it anymore.

Uhhhhh....Considering you started the thread, YOU do.

ANYWAYS.......I can't wait.  I've been limping along with a busted a$$ 2g model the last two years.  This will definitely be an upgrade for me.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
I just wanted to make the thread first.

How does it stack against the Evo 4G? It doesn't. The Evo 4G has a 1Ghz snapdragon processor (which I've read can be overclocked to 2Ghz), 8MP camera, 720p recording (and video output over HDMI), 4G (where available), removable storage up to...however much you want to add, real GPS, cheaper plan, no need for iTunes...the only thing that sucks about the Evo is it's on Sprint.

I will admit that video calling is pretty cool, but since it's locked to WiFi, it actually sucks, you might as well just use a laptop and a webcam.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
I'm excited, I'm going to upgrade!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:52 PM »

How does it stack against the Evo 4G? It doesn't. The Evo 4G has a 1Ghz snapdragon processor (which I've read can be overclocked to 2Ghz), 8MP camera, 720p recording (and video output over HDMI), 4G (where available), removable storage up to...however much you want to add, real GPS, cheaper plan, no need for iTunes...the only thing that sucks about the Evo is it's on Sprint.

I will admit that video calling is pretty cool, but since it's locked to WiFi, it actually sucks, you might as well just use a laptop and a webcam.

Now can you tell me how the EVO lines up with the Incredible?

And Sprint is actually a pretty good network as it shares it 3G with Verizon, but their 4G is on the wrong tech.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 11:57:02 PM »
I haven't seen anything on the iP4, but can someone tell me how they think it stacks up to the HTC EVO 4G?

Here's something from some a little less biased. Here's a more robust comparison.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »
The A4 chip is 1Ghz and the iPhone 4 can record 720p video at a higher frame rate. You can make agruments on the other things you mentioned (like removable storage adds cost, what's "real" GPS, etc), but I think it's fair to say that the phones are quite comparable.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
720p video on the Evo actually sucks, I really don't think it will be good on the iPhone either. I forgot the Evo does video calls too. I kind of want an Evo actually, but Sprint sucks (at least around here, and in most of the country) and I almost think the screen is *too* big. Same with the HD2.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:35 AM »
I have that concern with the EVO, too.  Yeah, the size would be great to watch video on, but that's not something I'm gonna want to carry, plus the battery is questionable. Apple is selling an iPhone version of iMovie for video editing, so hopefully the video itself will be well done.
Also, from what I've read, video calling on the Evo is Evo to Evo only, exactly like on the iPhone4. Hopefully once the feature becomes more mainstream, we'll have real video calling in our phones.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:06 AM »
Evo can accept incoming video calls from things like skype as well though.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:39 AM »
I'm loving the stupid opinions from this dangerous new breed the Anti Mac Fanatic. These guys re basically terrorists. Brandogg has said some pretty stupid things but so far the stupidest opinion on the iPhone yet has to goto Aussie-Nintendo suer Kiru
Waste of money for the users of Apple. You can get much cheaper phones that do practically the exact same things out there. And they don't keep releasing stupid updates every month or so.

Here's teh facts: Apple have made a new phone witha  bullshit resolution screen and ridiculous battery life for it's features. The end.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »

Now it's BlackNMild's thread.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »
That's weak dude. You're on my Wii friend list too...I think.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »
Brandogg do you honestly believe that removable storage is better than high capacity on board storage?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »
Brandogg honestly believes that any feature Apple doesn't implement in its devices is absolutely necessary.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »

Now it's BlackNMild's thread.

Awwww. He who giveth then taketh away.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
Actually, that was MegaByte.  He outranks me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
Brandogg do you honestly believe that removable storage is better than high capacity on board storage?
Yes, I do think it's better. Sure it'll cost more in the end (for a while, but not long, and having both options is the best solution) - but it lets you use a single storage card for so many different things (your phone, your laptop, schoolwork, etc), it also makes transferring data to/from the phone with your PC much simpler, so you wouldn't need iTunes or some other hula-hoop software. This is where (another area) the Droid Incredible still has a leg up on the iPhone - it has 8GB (might even be 8.5GB) onboard storage, and includes (don't know if it still does but it did at launch) another 8GB MicroSD card, which of course you could easily upgrade to 16GB, 32GB, or higher if you wanted. Say your iPhone completely dies (drop it in the toilet or something) - you're fucked if you didn't have everything backed up on iTunes, but if you had removable memory, you could simply transfer your card to a new phone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
But iTunes automatically backs everything up every time you sync the device, so the likelihood of not having a backup is very low unless you're like me, and you went into Terminal and turned that off and have to manually back it up, which I often forget to do.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
Using removable storage to put music and videos on your phone is just as easy and simple as using iTunes. Plus, that frees up space on my "single storage card."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »
I'm just waiting for cloud syncing of music. I'm surprised we didn't hear anything about cloud stuff from Apple at WWDC, considering the recent changes to statuses in MobileMe and the fact that they still haven't said anything about that North Carolina facility.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most computers have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying around your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Three just announced they will be selling iPhone 4, so that means all 5 of the big networks here will handle it. Apple exclusivity  has long gone now, so that should mean it won't be so pricey.

SHOULD.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:11:01 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most compute rs have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying ar ound your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

That's not an issue, because you can only sync an iPhone with one computer. I suppose that could be limiting for some people, but it never has for me. I also prefer having iTunes because, since it's my primary media player on my computer, syncing it with my iPhone/iPad automatically keeps all my playlists and sorting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
How is it easier than using iTunes? To use iTunes, you need to...install iTunes...on every computer that you plan on using with your iPhone. To use a microSD card you need to install...absolutely nothing. You do of course need a memory card reader (most compute rs have one built in nowadays), but that's no more pain-in-the-ass than carrying ar ound your USB cable. You also have the ability to have as much storage as you like, since you can use more than one card.

That's not an issue, because you can only sync an iPhone with one computer. I suppose that could be limiting for some people, but it never has for me. I also prefer having iTunes because, since it's my primary media player on my computer, syncing it with my iPhone/iPad automatically keeps all my playlists and sorting.

Plus, all Macs come with iTunes pre-installed, so for Apple fans, that's no problem. Also, I don't about you guys, but I know enough with iPhones or iPods, so that if I was at somebody's house, there'd be an extra cable lying around somewhere.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 04:52:48 AM »
Yes, I do think it's better. Sure it'll cost more in the end (for a while, but not long, and having both options is the best solution) - but it lets you use a single storage card for so many different things (your phone, your laptop, schoolwork, etc), it also makes transferring data to/from the phone with your PC much simpler, so you wouldn't need iTunes or some other hula-hoop software. This is where (another area) the Droid Incredible still has a leg up on the iPhone - it has 8GB (might even be 8.5GB) onboard storage, and includes (don't know if it still does but it did at launch) another 8GB MicroSD card, which of course you could easily upgrade to 16GB, 32GB, or higher if you wanted. Say your iPhone completely dies (drop it in the toilet or something) - you're fucked if you didn't have everything backed up on iTunes, but if you had removable memory, you could simply transfer your card to a new phone.
I have 1.2 gigs of apps on my iphone. Either I'd have to have less to cram them on the pitiful Evo phone or carry a dedicated App SD card. Either solution sucks arse. Sure I could have a droid and experience the fun of a non unified OS like a communist sympathising linux user. Maybe I'm jsut a slave to the hassle of plugging in my phone, and having my emails, contacts, songs, apps, operating system and photos sync up with the touch of a button while it charges. Such an ordeal.
I'm just waiting for cloud syncing of music. I'm surprised we didn't hear anything about cloud stuff from Apple at WWDC, considering the recent changes to statuses in MobileMe and the fact that they still haven't said anything about that North Carolina facility.
Apple are just biding time till it's all just right. If you goto their site the AppleTV is practically buried and they're looking for an easier way to choose a movie to rent from itunes while you ride the train home and be able to watch it on your tv when you walk in the door. 2012.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
Exactly. There's a reason the phrase "It just works." is associated with Apple.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
I have 1.2 gigs of apps on my iphone. Either I'd have to have less to cram them on the pitiful Evo phone or carry a dedicated App SD card. Either solution sucks arse. Sure I could have a droid and experience the fun of a non unified OS like a communist sympathising linux user. Maybe I'm jsut a slave to the hassle of plugging in my phone, and having my emails, contacts, songs, apps, operating system and photos sync up with the touch of a button while it charges. Such an ordeal.
Apparently you've never used another phone, since they're are apps available for Windows Mobile and Android that will do all of this as well. I don't understand how the Evo is pitiful (other than being locked to Sprint, and again, I think it's too big) though. Also just because Android is open source doesn't mean it's non-unified. Android is still Android, it's just customizable. The thing is when that 16GB runs out (and if everyone uses the almighty iPhone as much as they claim to, that won't take too long - especially now with it's "retina display" so everyone will be using 960x640 movies), then you need to start deleting/swapping on your computer, etc. With a removable storage setup, you can just install a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB card from the get-go and have much more "wiggle room." But anyway, I don't plan on changing your opinion, and there's no way you're changing mine, so this is all getting a little silly. Let's just agree that we like Nintendo and be friends, okay?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
The EVO screen only seems too big at first, then you get used to it and all the other screen seems cheap and made for children.....

Is this what happens to PS3/360 fanboys towards Wii owners.... I feel disgusted with myself. I'm gonna go take a shower.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
The Android platform is pretty fractured. Updates to the OS don't happen across the board causing some apps to work on some devices and not on others. That's the problem with an open platform.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
That's mainly (completely) due to the service providers though. Once you root an Android phone, you can  basically upgrade it as you please.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »
That's true, but it's one of those things like with the iPhone, where people will say it doesn't have features you can get through jailbraking because you have to jail break to get them. I mean, "average" users wouldn't know to do either, but they wouldn't be arguing over an internet forum either. :^/

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »
Dammit, I've been trying all day to preorder this on Apple's site, but I can never get through the process. It must be really swamped.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
Unlike Apple's actual products, their online store certainly does not "just work."

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 11:49:46 PM »
Any server is gonna crash with the amount of traffic it gets on pre-order day.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »
I think I finally got it. I got an order confirmation page that said "Thank You" and gave me an order number, but that was a few hours ago and I still haven't received a confirmation email. It's probably just because the system's all backed up, but after all the trouble I went through I'm a little worried that there could still be hassles.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
The whole system is down now. Way to go Apple, and no, it's not just because of traffic, but if they say it is, that's just pathetic.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
Can't blame AT&T for network failure this time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
They ran out of their whole launch day supply in less than 12 hours. That's insane. So much for Android eating away their market share.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »
Aren't these pre-orders for people already on AT&T, the majority of whom already own an iPhone? They're letting everyone whose contract expires this year go ahead and get the upgrade, so that makes a huge difference as well, because people are getting to pre-order the phone up to 6 months before they'd normally be allowed to upgrade.

Edit: and also, while it is a ****-ton of people, it was still "only" 600,000 pre-orders. I would have thought they would have way more than that available, but of course they'll go the "limited supply route" like most companies due with launches.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:31:24 AM by Brandogg »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »
There were options on Apple's site for people replacing their current phone, adding a new line, or for people who don't currently have one. I'd assume that most of the people preordering yesterday were existing customers, but they weren't all. Even if they were existing customers, they were people who were willing to sign new two year contracts with AT&T, so that's 600,000 people who aren't willing to switch to Android to get on a better network.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Can't blame AT&T for network failure this time.

That's the benefit of having 5 operators here (confirmation for the 6th and 7th coming real soon), we have plenty of choice.

Personally i would buy the handset unlocked and plop it on a rolling one-month contract. That way i can get higher data bundles, more options and the freedom to be a tart and move about as i please. However its £599 for the handset, so even if i did do that i'd keep the phone for at least 18 months. Apple's store here died a death here and now it's been suspended until July so that's not too much of a surprise.

http://iphone.orange.co.uk/plans/
http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html
This is what's been priced at here, so far.

But i have a blackberry and i'm in a contract with T-Mobile UK until January 2011 so, iPhone 4 can wait. I want a HTC Desire :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:25:00 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »
Damn.  This does suck.  I had an issue with my credit card and I can't "pre-order" until tomorrow.  Now my iphone doesn't ship till July 14th.  Not the end of the world, but I was looking forward to June 24th. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 06:12:41 AM »
I was happy to be getting the same specs as my iPad in my new iPhone, but it turns out I'll actually be getting twice as much RAM as the iPad or iPhone 3GS. It just keeps getting better.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
My iPhone 4 just got here; now to begin the long process of syncing everything to it. The thing really is beautiful. Apple gets criticized for allegedly being form over function, which I'd disagree with, but damn do they know how to do form.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
"Retina Display" may be a stupid name (and it is) but it's not just Steve Jobs' patented reality distortion field; I legitimately can't see pixels. It's really amazing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Got mine today. The scren is GORGEOUS, and everything is so snappy. I've already made use of the Folders function and the extra space. Still gotta do some facetime.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
I hope you guys aren't left handed, since holding the phone with your hand covering the bottom-left corner results in your signal completely dropping out after a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jon4lakers&annotation_id=annotation_591937&feature=iv#p/u/2/_GqUG-_Daek

Sure there are other ways to hold your phone, but this is a pretty huge design flaw.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
I hope you guys aren't left handed, since holding the phone with your hand covering the bottom-left corner results in your signal completely dropping out after a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jon4lakers&annotation_id=annotation_591937&feature=iv#p/u/2/_GqUG-_Daek

Sure there are other ways to hold your phone, but this is a pretty huge design flaw.

Wow, that sux. Think it's a hardware or software issue?

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
My main concern is how long it's going to take my apple-fanboy friends to shut up about the thing.

... and just as the constant "I've replaced my entire life with an ipad and I'm much happier!" postings were starting to die down ... :[

It's like apple wants us to be miserable!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
I would say hardware issue, you're essentially blocking the antenna...effortlessly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
You're not blocking the antenna, you're grounding the antenna. If you put something between your hand and the metal it doesn't do that. Any kind of case will do, and, after seeing an internet post suggesting it, I was able to stop it from happening by covering that area with a strip of scotch tape. Even though it's pretty easy to get around, it's a really stupid flaw, and you've gotta wonder how Apple didn't notice it in testing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
Grounding the antenna...even stupider. I imagine this will be a simple fix, but there's at least 600,000 people with faulty phones.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »
Well, there are pretty strong rumors hinting at an iOS update coming soon that will fix this issue. The fact that this issue has been reported on older models of the iPhone since the 4.0 update seems to indicate that software may have a role in the problem, so hopefully it works.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »
Loving iOS4. I didn't even realise my existing iPhone could get better! BOY WAS I WRONG!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »
So I'm on TWO lists now.  One at Best Buy and one at Apple.  I figured this would be faster than ordering online.  I'll be waiting by the phone the next week as I'm still rollin the 2G, can't wait for dis thang!  I use my current iphone for everything, calls, internet, little bit of games, guitar tuner, and most importantly, voice memos for song ideas.  Oh yeah, I use it for photos too, you know what I mean.  I think I'll have everything I want now, video chat is the only thing I really need, and now I will finely get that elusive satisfaction mankind has always searched for.  Can't wait!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »
Grounding the antenna...even stupider. I imagine this will be a simple fix, but there's at least 600,000 people with faulty phones.

Grounding the phone does not mean they are faulty. I'm sure Apple will tell iPhone users to levitate when holding the phone to prevent this from happening.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »

Grounding the phone does not mean they are faulty. I'm sure Apple will tell iPhone users to levitate when holding the phone to prevent this from happening.

Now now.  That's asking a bit much.  No.  They will blame the user because they weren't wearing rubber soled shoes or were leaning on something.  It's probably in the T & C's somewhere.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
I don't think the antenna thing is as bad as people are making it out to be. I can make my phone go from 5 bars to 3 at whim, but at least I'm getting 5 bars out of AT&T to start with. I've also yet to see the Edge 'E' on it.

I can kinda see how they missed this too. From the whole Gizmodo thing, you might remember that the phone was in a case to make it look more like a 3G(S). That probably means that at no time were any of the testers handling the phone without a case; otherwise, they would not have missed that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
Yeah, I haven't had any real issues with it. I can replicate it if I try, but it doesn't happen when I hold it the way I've always held it. Hopefully the rumored 4.0.1 patch comes soon and fixes the issue for everyone who is affected by the problem.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
How I yearn for one of my list leaders to call.  My current half broke 2G iphone makes me drop at least 14 F bombs a day.  14 legitimate, angry, somebody stop me from smashing this phone F bombs.  I've hit rock bottom.

My prediction is I won't have one till next Weds at the earliest.  Life really sucks.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
People preordering the thing the day after preorders started were already being bumped to next week. You may be in for a pretty long wait.

J.P. Corbran

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Well since Apple decided to add next to nothing to the iPhone 3G I decided to jailbreak mine so I could have wallpapers and multitasking. Honestly it's no slower than stock iOS4.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
Okay, the antenna issue is a real, serious problem if you're holding it in your left hand and trying to do something on it like browsing the web or anything using 3G while looking at it, but if you're having that issue while talking on it, in either hand, then Steve's right, you're holding it the wrong way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
I still haven't had as big an issue with the antenna thing as everyone else.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »
I can't wait to have only an antenna issue.  Right now I have a touch screen issue, as in sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.  Thats what I get for carrying it around naked.

Speaking of naked, did you guys get a case for the new iphone?  I heard it was a bit more fragile, and Gizmodo said you should get a case this time around.  I'd hate to put a case on it, love the redesign.  If you did put a case on it, can you link to it?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
I don't have a case for mine. I never had one for my 3G, either, though I almost bought one of the ones that had extra battery packs. As for the 4, I'd buy one of the official Apple bumper cases if they weren't $30.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
So it seems like the conclusion about the "death grip" signal problems, first argued by analysts and then by Apple themselves, is that it's an issue with how the phone calculates how many bars you have and not that significant of a difference in signal quality. It seems like someone *coughAT&Tcough* set up the system so that if you have better than 50% signal you have the full 5 bars, with the lower bar amounts taking up the rest of the spectrum.

This sounded odd to me, so I decided to test it. I turned off WiFi and opened up my network speed test app. First, I tested it without the death grip, then with. The death grip caused a lower upload speed, but download speed actually increased by a couple hundred k, and since I was pretty surprised by that I did the test again, and it was even faster. The upload dip was significant, but upload is, in most cases other than online gaming, less important.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
Still doesn't explain the dropped calls.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
Since when did we need an explanation for dropped calls on AT&T?

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »
Because if you hold the phone the "wrong way" your call will be dropped. Their excuse doesn't explain anything, just that bars = bullshit (which should be known by anyone that uses a cell phone). You will still get dropped calls as a result of this flaw. People were calling in because of calls being dropped (thousands of people, according to Apple), not because the bars were disappearing, though the disappearing bars are a direct result of the flawed phone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
It is extremely easy to hold the phone in a way that doesn't do that when you're talking on it, regardless of which hand you're using. If you can't figure it out, dropped calls are the least of your problems.

Holding it in the left hand while looking at it, though, is a problem, and, as my test showed, it will drastically cut your upload bandwidth. That means if you're holding it that way while talking, which we've already established is very easy to avoid doing, it will cause dropped calls. It shouldn't have too much of an effect on web browsing or the like, as those are mostly downloading. I guess what I'm saying is that yes, it's a design flaw, and a stupid and careless one, but it's easy enough to get around. Apple should do something to fix it, but it's far from the huge deal some are making it out to be.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2010, 07:15:11 PM »
No doubt it's avoidable, but I don't think Apple would still be facing much scrutiny if they weren't still pretending the design is so robust.  Given Apple's strong reputation for quality products, I don't think they'd lose much face if they'd just be honest about the flaw.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
I think right now they're just stalling for time, hoping they'll be able to fi it with a software patch. That would save them a lot of money over having to do repairs or send out free bumpers.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:03 PM »
I doubt there's a way to physically change the way the antenna is installed with a software update, but I'm no scientist. Still, the excuse that they gave is complete horseshit, and they didn't actually address the issue in any way.
"Hey, if I hold my phone this way the antenna gets grounded out and I get dropped calls"
"That's because the phone shows 5 bars when you really should only have 3"
"**** you."

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
The problem was that people were holding their phones a certain way and watching their bars drop. Apple says that's only because your signal was weak to begin with, not because you're grounding antenna. They're basically just putting the blame back on AT&T.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
Right, but Apple (and/or AT&T) has received "thousands of complaints" from people who have actually had dropped calls using their iPhone 4 because of the flaw. They skirted the issue and just said that the bars aren't properly representing the signal - they failed to say "yes, there is a flaw, and if you hold the phone that way, your call will be dropped" - own up to your mistakes. The phone is barely a month old, they have plenty of time to fix it and still sell bazillions of them.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2010, 02:46:11 AM »
I just don't know who to believe.  Ah well.  I just want my new phone.  Where is it Best Buy/Apple!?!?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2010, 03:02:08 AM »
What's the possibility of a next gen iPod Touch with a sim card slot ala iPad Mini?

I love my touch but it needs a permanent data connection.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:53 AM »
Right, but Apple (and/or AT&T) has received "thousands of complaints" from people who have actually had dropped calls using their iPhone 4 because of the flaw. They skirted the issue and just said that the bars aren't properly representing the signal - they failed to say "yes, there is a flaw, and if you hold the phone that way, your call will be dropped" - own up to your mistakes. The phone is barely a month old, they have plenty of time to fix it and still sell bazillions of them.

But that's assuming what they're saying is false and that holding the phone wrong causes dropped calls and not AT&T's shitty service.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:16:57 AM by nickmitch »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »
It is the way they hold the phone. You can see videos of people making a call, then holding the phone "the wrong way" and watch the cal get dropped within a few seconds. This is going from "full signal" (even if it's bullshit and they should really only have 2 or 3 bars, you still shouldn't lose a signal if you're in the exact same place all the time) to a dropped call. It's not assuming anything, it's a fact.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
If you're too stupid to figure out how to hold it without causing that then not only should you not own a cell phone, you should be wearing a helmet at all times, preferably with someone always there looking out for you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »
If you're too stupid to figure out how to hold it without causing that then not only should you not own a cell phone, you should be wearing a helmet at all times, preferably with someone always there looking out for you.

Now that is a stupid comment. No one should have to be conscious of how they are holding the phone because Apple let a design flaw get past the Beta stage. Apple made a mistake, everyone does it, get over it. They should own up to it and/or quickly find a way to fix it before it becomes a major issue, there is no reason to make excuses for them where none are needed.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »

Now that is a stupid comment. No one should have to be conscious of how they are holding the phone because Apple let a design flaw get past the Beta stage. Apple made a mistake, everyone does it, get over it. They should own up to it and/or quickly find a way to fix it before it becomes a major issue, there is no reason to make excuses for them where none are needed.

That comment of mine was uncalled for; I'm just getting really sick of the stories focusing on dropped calls, because that's not the real problem of this design flaw. If you go back and look at what I've said in this thread, you'll see that I'm not defending Apple. It's a design flaw, and a very stupid one, and very uncharacteristic of them. My argument is, and always has been, that it is very, very easy to get around this particular design flaw, at least when you're talking on it.

The area that is sensitive to this is about a quarter of an inch long. You can hold the phone on any other part of it, or even on that part if you're not covering the entire metal band. Again, I'm not saying this isn't a stupid design flaw, but it isn't nearly the big deal people are making it out to be.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
Again, I'm not saying this isn't a stupid design flaw, but it isn't nearly the big deal people are making it out to be.
And this comes back to my thought that people wouldn't make a big deal out of it if Apple would simply admit the flaw.

Instead when they make up a faulty excuse it only fuels the outcry.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2010, 12:49:27 AM »
Apple won't admit to the flaw until and unless they're prepared to fix it. Doing so otherwise would ensure that they lose the lawsuits that have already been filed because of the issue.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:47 AM »
I posted earlier about the tests I did with my iPhone, where I noticed a huge drop in upload speed. Well, according to this article, that may have had nothing to do with how I was holding the phone. It appears that people all over the country are reporting these low upload speeds, leading some to believe that AT&T may be capping iPhone upload speed.

This bothers me a hell of a lot more than the death grip problems, because, unlike that, this affects me. I seem to live in the only place in the country where AT&T coverage is actually really good; I've never had any problems with dropped calls, and I usually get about a 2 megabit connection over 3G. I had no complaints with AT&T until recently, but now in less than two months they've done two things that have really pissed me off, the first being charging for tethering despite limiting the amount of data. Even that can be sidestepped by jailbreaking; there's no way around this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
Capping upload speed was inevitable. Not, that I agree with it, I just saw it coming. They've been saying how the problem with their network was 20% of users using 80% of the traffic or something to thay effect. Which is stupid because that's saying everyone with a smart phone is using all the data when they're the only ones who need it. They said they would fix that issue in a way that didn't involve fixing their network. It started with the data plans and is coming to this.
**** AT&T.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
I love how so many people were quick to say AT&T was "right" for changing their data plan pricing because "98% of users used less than 2GB/mo" - I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that you are *forced* to sign up for a data plan with just about any phone on AT&T now (if not all of them), so most people are paying for something that they know absolutely nothing about.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
Capping upload speed was inevitable. Not, that I agree with it, I just saw it coming. They've been saying how the problem with their network was 20% of users using 80% of the traffic or something to thay effect. Which is stupid because that's saying everyone with a smart phone is using all the data when they're the only ones who need it. They said they would fix that issue in a way that didn't involve fixing their network. It started with the data plans and is coming to this.
**** AT&T.

That's not quite it. The issue stems largely from the fact that they said UNLIMITED. So certain people get Jesus Phones and use it as such. That number is small but still large enough to unbalance the network. So they applied a quota which generally applies to most - but not all - people because then it encourages the higher users to actually pay more or reduce their use. Therefore the network can invest more. That's how its "supposed" to work.

But then, its unlimited. How can people be pissed because the network took away their infinity?

Here O2, Orange and Vodafone did the same thing. They've now all dropped the "unlimited" moniker concerning data and now say varying amounts between 500-1GB a month and the majority provide "unlimited wifi data" on various wifi networks to push the demand off the mobile network. Of course thats just handing off the issue from one pillar (the mobile network) to another (the wifi network).

So 3 - yes we have a network called "3" - abolished the word "unlimited" altogether. When they meant unlimited texts they now mean 5000 texts, and so on.

Unlimited by definition allows users for increasing amounts of flexible demands because there's just no limits. Like the word suggests. But then eventually the line has to snap somewhere. And here we are, with the network creaking.

I'm not really surprised at what AT&T's done but its not their fault that their users used the phones willy nilly. For which it IS their fault for telling them that they can.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
And for nickmitch: The upload speed being capped isn't intentional apparently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/07/att_hsupa_software_glitch/

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
Man, I've been having bad luck with electronics lately. I had to get a replacement for my new hard drive because it was dead out of the box, I just sent in my DSi for repair, and now I may need to send back my new iPhone. There's a crack in my screen, which I noticed a while back but wasn't too worried about, but it's getting bigger.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:14 AM »
Finally got the phone last Wednesday, from Best Buy.  Then Apple called the next day with one.  So hopefully everyone who wants one can get it if they're fierce enough.  I love it.  And surprisingly, I haven't had a dropped call yet and I constantly have to juggle what I'm holding and sometimes I hold my phone in ways that are now inappropriate.  It may not be the phone for everyone, but its almost exactly what I wanted.  Feels like there is a Ferrari in my pocket. 

One question, my friends do not have the new phone.  In fact, I don't know anyone I can do "facetime" with.  I want to try it out, are there any fun apps you guys have found for it that let you Facetime with randoms other than the 99 cent Chat Routlette app?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
Feels like there is a Ferrari in my pocket.

My girlfriend laughed. :P

But seriously, I love my iPhone 4.  I, too, haven't tried out the FaceTime feature yet... but I think it's so incredible that deaf people can use a phone in this manner now.  I love the commercial that Apple has shown using this.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
I still don't think it's going to happen, but there's growing talk of an Apple recall of the iPhone 4 because of the signal issues. The issues don't really bother me, but that would be one way to get rid of the unsightly scratch I somehow managed to get on the screen of mine.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »
One question, my friends do not have the new phone.  In fact, I don't know anyone I can do "facetime" with.  I want to try it out, are there any fun apps you guys have found for it that let you Facetime with randoms other than the 99 cent Chat Routlette app?

I think there was a number you could call on Apple's site that let you test out facetime with Apple service reps.

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »
I love the new iphone. Not that I own it, but Apple stocks has dropped 8% since it's release, their reputation has been ruin, the myth of their quantity has been shattered, a possible recall would cost them billions, and their trendy fad is dieing. ;D

Hopeful the iphone 4 marks the beginning of the end of Apple. :evil;
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:16:55 PM by stevey »
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »
Apple stock being down and the vast cost of a possible recall are related. Once it becomes clear that they're not going to recall it it'll go back up. I think the fact that they're still going to do record sales numbers despite a documented issue like this proves that Apple's not going away any time soon.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
I love the new iphone. Not that I own it, but Apple stocks has dropped 8% since it's release, their reputation has been ruin, the myth of their quantity has been shattered, a possible recall would cost them billions, and their trendy fad is dieing. ;D

What would be more likely--and cheaper--is that Apple could issue a free rubber bumper case with each phone. That would prevent a person's hand from coming into contact with the phone's antenna, which is built into its exterior metal strip. Although Apple charges $29 at retail for the rubber cases, Bernstein estimates that giving them away to iPhone 4 customers would cost the company $1 per unit.

3000% markup for a rubber case?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »

I think there was a number you could call on Apple's site that let you test out facetime with Apple service reps.

Oh man, I'm totally doing that.  You never know who you'll be paired up with....and we should also have a contest to see who can keep the rep on the phone the longest.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »

What would be more likely--and cheaper--is that Apple could issue a free rubber bumper case with each phone. That would prevent a person's hand from coming into contact with the phone's antenna, which is built into its exterior metal strip. Although Apple charges $29 at retail for the rubber cases, Bernstein estimates that giving them away to iPhone 4 customers would cost the company $1 per unit.

3000% markup for a rubber case?

You should see the mark up on most of the things you buy. Clothing is the worst, but you can see similar markups on things like HDMI cables.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »
I buy my cables from monoprice. If there is a markup on a $4 sorry, $3 6ft HDMI cable, I'm pretty sure it is marginal.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
That's good. Back when they were at least $15 the mark up was several hundred percent. It's like that with most accessories, I think.

But Apple had their press conference today, and the company will give out free bumpers.
Steve said what you'd expect: 'It's not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be' 'Our customers are awesome' 'We're gonna deal with the issue anyway' 'I was just vacationing in Hawaii' etc.

Also, if you already bought one, you get a refund. Unless you bought a 3rd party one. The reasoning for that is spite.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:01:11 PM by nickmitch »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »
This apple press conference is a bit of a vindictive train wreck.  I came up with a great script for a new Verizon Droid commercial.

Two people standing on a white background.

Droid: "Hi, I'm a Droid."

iPhone4: "Hi, I'm an iPhone4."

Droid: "You look down, iPhone4."

iPhone4: "I know... it's just that, everyone is being so mean to me.  I can't deal with it.  My daddy says that it's their problem and that I'm fine the way I am.  I just don't know though. They are all so mean."

Droid: "Aw. Don't worry iPhone4. Just ignore them and live your life the way you want to."

:Droid walks over and puts his arm around iPhone4:

:iPhone4 immediately disappears:

Droid: "Dammit. I knew I wasn't supposed to hold him that way.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
This apple press conference is a bit of a vindictive train wreck.  I came up with a great script for a new Verizon Droid commercial.

Two people standing on a white background.

Droid: "Hi, I'm a Droid."

iPhone4: "Hi, I'm an iPhone4."

Droid: "You look down, iPhone4."

iPhone4: "I know... it's just that, everyone is being so mean to me.  I can't deal with it.  My daddy says that it's their problem and that I'm fine the way I am.  I just don't know though. They are all so mean."

Droid: "Aw. Don't worry iPhone4. Just ignore them and live your life the way you want to."

:Droid walks over and puts his arm around iPhone4:

iPhone4's Bars Drop and then :iPhone4 immediately disappears:

Droid: "Dammit. I knew I wasn't supposed to hold him that way.

Fixed and LOL

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
As I've said, this issue never affected me, but I'll take a free bumper.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
No you won't, because they're not giving out free bumpers, they're giving out free cases.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
I was under the impression that the bumper would be one of the choices; the others are there because they haven't made enough of the bumpers to give out to everyone. Either way, I don't care. I wasn't planning on buying a case, but I'll take a free one if they're giving them out, as long as they have one I like.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
Oh, maybe I misread the log on Engagdet...anyway, still you probably won't get one since they'll surely be the first to be depleted. Just get a refund for your phone and get something with Android on it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
Can i ask a generic mobile/cell phone question?

In america is there "sim only" plans? Where you effectively pay for the sim card on a rolling one-month contract?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
AT&T and T-Mobile would have a plan, but they don't talk about it much.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
In america is there "sim only" plans? Where you effectively pay for the sim card on a rolling one-month contract?

There are a couple prepaid options.  One is a company called O2 Wireless; they run on the AT&T network.  There's a new one called Simple Mobile; I'm pretty sure they're on the T-Mobile network.  Both offer unlimited monthly plans as well as cheaper, pay by the minute plans.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »
Holy ****, Taiwan delivers again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »
So did anyone else sign up for the unlimited data plan for $30 the week the phone was released, only to find out that option was canceled June 7th?  At the moment I'm stuck with the $20 2gig option.  Were any of you guys able to get the unlimited plan?  If so, how? I signed up for it on Apple's website when I pre-ordered my phone.  No it no longer exists, and it apparently didn't exist when I signed up for it, even though it was clearly an option that week.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
AT&T killed all their unlimited plans. The only way to have one is to have already had one. I think it being up that week was an error on Apple's part.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2010, 04:05:45 AM »
There was apparently an app on the store today that managed to get tethering on the iPhone without jailbreaking, requiring an incredibly obscure set of commands to transform an ordinary flashlight app to do tethering, so that Apple wouldn't catch it in the approval process. Sadly, it was pulled from the store before I could download it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that on Engadget. I would've gotten it, too. 99cents is a sweet deal for unlimited tethering.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
The free case program has started. To get it, you download the iPhone 4 Case Program app and select which one you want. I was able to get an Apple bumper, but that's likely to be the most popular choice, so if you want one of those you should act quickly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
DO you have to pay for the app?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Nope, it's free.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
An app to get the case, thats hilarious.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:34 PM »
Good news for all of you iPhone die-hards, Jailbreaking = LEGAL.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
So is rooting you Android phone.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
That's always been legal.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
Well, technically so has Jailbreaking. It just violated your contract. The ruling basically says that if I jailbreak my phone, Apple can't shun or sue me for it.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
Well, technically so has Jailbreaking. It just violated your contract. The ruling basically says that if I jailbreak my phone, Apple can't shun or sue me for it.

Apple argued that jailbreaking violates the DMCA and thus is a criminal offense in addition to being a civil violation of Apple's copyrights.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
But didn't they get shot down on that some time ago? I remember reading Apple's plea didn't work.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
But didn't they get shot down on that some time ago? I remember reading Apple's plea didn't work.

I don't think so.  The plea was fought by the EFF, but I think this was the first official word on the matter.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

They are allowed to continue releasing updates that disable it, and you are screwed if you damage your phone since you void the warranty by jailbreaking it. You also can only install legal stuff on your phone (meaning it is still illegal to do something like install ROM's of copyrighted games).

I wonder if this will hold up when they do the next review of the DMCA in 2013.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »
It's easy enough to restore the phone to default settings, which removes any trace of the jailbreak, so as long as you do that before taking it in you can still get warranty repairs on the phone.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2010, 04:13:26 AM »
Yeah, I've had a few Jailbreaks go wrong, and it's super easy to fix. With iTunes keeping a back up of your phone there's almost no concern when doing it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
My bumper came today. It does what they say it does: it completely eliminates the signal issue. The ridge it creates on the edge of the front and back feels a bit strange, but I'll get used to it pretty quickly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
Alright, I was wrong, Brandogg. Now that I've used it for a while, I now realize how important multitasking is, and that Apple really should have implemented it before now. Really, it's not so much the multitasking as it is the fast app switching.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
Agreed. Still though it's nice to leave an App on the backburner, switch to something else, then switch back and continue on exactly as you were doing.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »
And we have jailbreak!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
I just jailbroke my phone via jailbreakme.com It's really simple and straightforward, and just works. If Apple designed a jailbreaking method, it would be like this. I'm sending this post on my iPad, using a WiFi signal being provided by my iPhone from its 3G connection.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Which app is that?

Also, is Winterboard working for everybody? I need my smiley signal bars back.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I was doing it through MyWi. It's great; I can tether without paying extra or giving up my unlimited plan. As for Winterboard, I installed it but haven't done anything with it, so I can't speak  to it working. I also really love SBSettings and Activator.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
Thanks!
If you get a chance to try out Winterboard, let me know.

I haven't had my 5 icon dock in ages. I feel complete again.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »
What gives you the 5 app dock? That was one of the things that pushed me over the edge to do this, but I can't find the app to do it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:54:02 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
Is anyone else getting a lot of dropped calls with the new iPhone when they shouldn't?  Yes, I know how to hold it.  I live in downtown Denver  and I can't use the phone in my own apartment.  I know its a service issue, as it was the same with the 2G and I just moved in in June.  My neighbors never get dropped calls with Sprint and Verizon.  There are 3 million people in the area, we are NOT in the mountains.  How the F$$k is this happening.  I want to punch this company right in their stupid fat unreliable face.  Steve Jobs too.  That dude thinks he's the Wizard of Oz.  Far from it.  How many more days will he bend and smile over for these guys?  I was setting up a date Weds with the really hot chick and the call dropped 20 times in 45 mins.  I have never been so furious.  I was literally C-blocked by a corporation.  WTF.

Anyone have any bright ideas other than canceling my contract and getting a droid/evo/or whatever else is the next big thing?  I mean, WTF, this is 2010.  Its an 800 dolla phone.  I just don't get it.  I can't even get customer support b/c the calls keep dropping, even though I walked outside to talk to them.  Simply pathetic.  Gawd I want to give att a knee to the face so bad right now. 

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
My family and I were in Denver just last week. We stayed nearer the Sixteenth street mall than anywhere else. Most of my family has 3G iPhones. Most of my family had trouble with calls. I have a Droid X with Verizon, and I had a little trouble with data there, but not so much with calls, not at all like they did.

What should you do? Complain. Threaten to switch when your contract is over. Get a landline. Tell Verizon, Sprint, an any other cell phone service provider your troubles if they'll listen. See if anyone will buy out your contract if you sign one of theirs. Let Apple know you like their phone, but the service sucks. While you're at it, let AT&T know the bikini wasn't invented in my home town, Lake City, Florida, unlike their erroneous claims in their recent marketing campaign. Also, AT&T's service there is terrible, too. I don't know how my family puts up with it, and if possible, you should do whatever you can not to.

But yeah, it's not your phone. Theirs had similar problems. Good luck!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
AT&T doesn't cover as much of the country as they pretend they do (at least not very well).  You could use the "Mark the Spot" app to let them know you're having problems, though. They seem to be making improvements based on that. The new version even tells you where they're building new towers.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:48 AM »
@thatguy Good advice man, much appreciated!  And that's actually a little relieving to know they had trouble too.  Perhaps I can lead a revolt to get some more whatever we need.  Also, was anything invented in your home town?  My hometown invented Beer Nuts and Steak and Shake.  And we educated Gary Cole, a true hero.  The town is Normal IL.

@Nick, definitely going to check that app out, thx!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:05 AM »
When I was in Boston for PAX, I was getting all kinds of dropped calls. It was just terrible. Thankfully, that's the only bad experience I've had with AT&T coverage; where I live and go to school I get great coverage. He'll, I get faster speed on 3G on my iPhone and iPad than I get on the campus Wi-Fi network.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
AT&T can't handle unusual congestion. During my school's homecoming, I'm lucky if I can even make calls with all the people in the area. That happens at home too when there's something big going on, but then only when I'm in the Quarter.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
AT&T can't handle unusual congestion. During my school's homecoming, I'm lucky if I can even make calls with all the people in the area. That happens at home too when there's something big going on, but then only when I'm in the Quarter.

For planned events like these they should know because it happens EVERY YEAR.

It's like the annual crash on December 31 around 23:58hrs on every UK network. It's not like new years day was postponed by a week?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »
Yeah, I have to think that there's nothing they can do about it because it's just too big of an issue to be ignored. I mean, if they could buff up the networks for special events, they could just as easily build a better network all around.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »
Ok,  I've been having serious issues with my iPhone 4 the last several weeks now.  I don't know if AT&T is doing work here in this area (northeast AR), but I'm having trouble receiving calls.  My girlfriend says she'll call three times, and the third time is when it always rings on my end. I've never had problems like this before, so I wonder if it's a cause of the phone itself or AT&T's network? It's driving me insane, really.  Never did this with my 3GS.

Oh, also...I have yet to receive my free bumper/case thing. Grrr..  :(
Muh Backloggery!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
Try switching it from the 3G service to The Edge network, or whatever it's called, except when you want to browse the internet.  My sister's phone had a problem similar to yours, and the other type of service would let her send and receive texts and calls, even though it had slower data.  It was weird.  I don't think it's all that common, though.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
A flash port called "Frash" (you may remember the iPad version) is available. It's an alpha, and it's not yet in Cydia, but you can find it online.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
Try switching it from the 3G service to The Edge network, or whatever it's called, except when you want to browse the internet.  My sister's phone had a problem similar to yours, and the other type of service would let her send and receive texts and calls, even though it had slower data.  It was weird.  I don't think it's all that common, though.
Heh, see... that's the thing.  AT&T doesn't provide 3G coverage for our area.  About 45 minutes away, it does, but not here. So I've always kept it on the Edge network anyway.  It sucks.  I almost want to go Verizon... but I'd lose my unlimited data plan.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »
Doesn't Verizon offer unlimited as well for the time being?

And Sprint is still the best, 57 bucks a month (even less for some lucky bastards) for unlimited data, 450 minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile calling?  Yell hes.

I used to fancy the iPhone, but now that I've used webOS I can't bring myself to downgrade to a phone that can't multitask properly.  And when I use my roommates iPhone 3G I always find myself trying to use gestures like back swipe to get out of programs and wondering why it's not working.  I don't need 80,000 **** apps cluttering up my phone, so as long as I have ones that are truly useful to me I'm happy.  The only appeal iPhones have for me at this point is that if I was on AT&T and had one, it would eliminate my need for an iPod.  But I can live with two devices and I don't need to carry around my entire music library with me at ALL times.  Too bad Palm's hardware is so shitty, now that they're an HP subsidiary and can actually afford to spend some money I'm hoping their next phones will be up to par with their software.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
The Dev Team released an untethered jailbreak for the current firmware, 4.3.1, on Sunday, so I've been spending the parts of today when I haven't been in class updating (I was still running 4.0.1 until yesterday) and rejailbreaking. I should have held off a little while because there are some Cydia apps that don't work on the new firmware yet, and because of that I just had to do a full restore again and rejailbreak a second time.

I spent a lot of today without most of my key jailbreak tweaks, and it reminded me how much I use functionality I wouldn't have without them. LockInfo, Activator, SBSettings, biteSMS and Notified Pro are without a doubt worth the trouble I'm going through.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Apparently there is a way to unlock an iPhone 4 that has the latest modem firmware on it, without putting the iPad baseband on it. It requires an actual modified SIM card, called the Rebel Micro. Someone had one in our shop today, pretty neat, but I still don't give 2 shits about iPhones, other than making money fixing them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »
Yeah, you can actually do a carrier unlock with that without even jailbreaking the thing. I don't know why you wouldn't want to jailbreak, though; it's really easy (redsn0w walks you through it and it only takes a couple minutes) and it adds a lot of cool functionality.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
Functionality it should already have...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »
More like would be nice if it already had.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Apple definitely should have something like Notified Pro; their current notification system sucks (though it is apparently being overhauled for iOS 5). LockInfo would be awesome, and I could see them doing it. There's pretty much no chance of ever seeing something like Activator or anything that depends on it coming out of Cupertino, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »
That's one of the most Apple-like mods in Cydia. It makes using the iPhone 10x easier. I cans switch to airplane mode with ease or just turn everything that's not wi-fi off, if a flight has it free, that it. but yeah, the notification system does kinda suck, especially since when live in the age where you'll be using your phone for eveything but calls and texting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2011, 06:08:36 AM »
I just had to send my phone back to Apple because of a malfunctioning home button (maybe Steve was right: buttons are evil). I just wanted to post about how great the process is for doing that. I fill out a quick form on the site, they give me a thing to print out, I back up and wipe the phone, take out the sim card, and take it to a UPS store, where they package the phone for me and send it out.

This is why I love Apple: everything they do is designed to make the experience great for the user. Sometimes it causes problems and results in missing functionality, but most of the time it's awesome.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »
Verizon does the same thing with any of their phones, except they'll overnight you the replacement first, then you send yours in within 10 days. Actually if you catch them early enough in the morning, it's possible to get a replacement on the same day (or just go to one of their stores and get a replacement).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
If there were an Apple Store that didn't require me to drive two hours to get to I could have just taken it there and gotten a replacement. I'm still pissed they haven't opened one here. Apparently you can take a Verizon iPhone to a Verizon store to get it serviced, but the same isn't true for AT&T. I have no problems with AT&T coverage where I am, but I'm still probably going to end up switching to Verizon with my next one.

I wonder what AT&T is going to base its ad campaign for iPhone around once Apple discontinues the 3GS and they can't sell those for $49 anymore, and I'm assuming the next model will feature the new tech that lets CDMA phones do voice and data at the same time. They'd be pretty much screwed.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
It's not the phone, it's the network. They'll keep using that argument until Apple goes 4G. As far as I know, LTE doesn't have the same limitations as CDMA, so at that point, AT&T is SOL, unless that T-Mobile buy out goes through and they can roll out a 4G network as big as Verizon's.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
You can use voice and data at the same time on CDMA, I do it on my Thunderbolt, and no, I don't have 4G LTE. It has SVDO as opposed to EVDO, so technically, it is the phone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I remember speculation over whether the Verizon iPhone would have it. It didn't, but I would be shocked if this year's model didn't. What I'm afraid of, though, is that making the phone compatible with both GSM and CDMA, as reports are suggesting, will mean they won't have the internal space to upgrade storage capacity and we'll be stuck at 32 GB for another year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »
That doesn't really make any sense. A 64GB chip would be the same size as a 32GB chip, unless the just double amount of chips, which would be a pretty stupid way to do it. I've fixed *many* iPhone 4s, and the motherboard takes up maybe 1/2 the size of the phone, probably even less. The biggest piece (aside from the front and back) is the battery, unlike the iPhones before it where the motherboard was the same size as the phone. It basically looks like an "L block" from Tetris, and that's including the rear camera, which is a separate piece on it's own. Point being - if they say that because of having dual radios means they have less space, that's pure horse ****. Remember any features missing from the phone is purely on Apple.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »
Gsm and CDMA support? What year is it in America? I think those networks got shut down in Australia.