Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537898 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1475 on: August 27, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »
I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim versus The World yet, but judging by the description isn't it basically No More Heroes in movie form?

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #1476 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »
Yeah, Scott Pilgrim's structure is kind of like NMH, only not as violent. =D

Speaking of which, I have two scores here...

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: 4/5 (A lot of awesome action and the video game influences were what made the movie for me.)

Despicable Me: 4/5 (A rather late movie, but it was still quite good. Some say it's better than the "vastly overrated" Toy Story 3 but I'm unsure of that.)
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
Have you guys ever felt trapped in a movie?  I feel like I'm trapped in Momento.  Anyway, the only movie that makes sense right now, is Whatever Works.  5/5
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1478 on: August 30, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
I'm hopping on the Scott Pilgrim train. It was very true to the source. It reminded me of how much I hated the movie version of V for Vendetta.

Anyway SPvtW gets an over 9000 out of 10.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 30, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
That's too bad for the V for Vendetta train. As a movie I really liked it, but I hadn't read the comic, but now I have access to the comic and its harder to read. Watchmen was pretty true to the comic, but still wasn't as good. Wasn't bad either, it also doesn't fare as well after repeat views.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1480 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
I think the length is was hurt Watchmen. There are a lot of dry parts in the comic, but there are subtleties that make it readable.

V for Vendetta totally misses the point of the source material. Like, the government was evil Just because. There was no back story. Almost all of the characters completely lost their complexities.
It would've been better as an HBO miniseries than a movie, IMO.

Offline Ponch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
Toy Story 3 - 4/5

I'm late to this one but I got to see it at an awesome $3 theater where the sound wasn't working for the first 30 minutes. Win-win. Anyways, I didn't find Woody's portrayal of a western sheriff that convincing. Did someone poison the water hole or not? An offense that serious should've been investigated; it was criminally negligent.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 31, 2010, 12:21:50 AM »
I agree with almost everything nickmitch said about V for Vendetta...that said, if I'm being honest with myself I still think the movie is better.  I was not the biggest fan of the graphic novel, although I think a lot of that had to do with the art style.  Not my cup of tea.

On the subject of HBO series, I really hope they do George RR Martin justice with Game of Thrones.  I know nothing about the show other than that it is being made but the book is just fantastic.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 31, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »
I saw V for Vendetta before reading the graphic novel. I prefer the movie more myself, but I am led to believe that they had a different message and goal in mind for the movie than the message that the graphic novel intended to send out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:10:42 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: September 01, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
the big lebowski 8.5/10

Coen Bros Movies :)

i wish i had seen it sooner, but every time I went to go watch it, it was some censored television version.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:42:14 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »
Salt 3/10 - My dislike of shakycam is known and acknowledged, but there is a time and place for it. In Stargate Universe its used for stylistic effect only and is subtle. The camera wobbles a little bit then suddenly zooms in on the character or object. That's fine. It works because SGUs editing is calm and is paced to be slow. It's a production "touch" that adds to the overall feel of the show.

Salt is the total opposite. It's fast, frenetic and cut together so messily its completely unwatchable. There's a car chase sequence fairly early on in which the camera is wobbling around while Angelina is jumping from truck to truck and then having 2-5 second shots of her doing something, in a moving wobbly shot before it cuts to the next one. This pattern repeated constantly for about 4 minutes in which everything cut from shot to shot so quickly you can't see or process anything. It was literally the movie version of "flash an object in front of your nose really quickly".

That alone makes the film a waste of time because if i can't see it, then how can i tell if its good or not?

The plot continues to run with an air of ambiguity from start to finish, even with the mid-way twist and the final third twist. They didn't bother to answer why until the final few mins of the film. Lastly, Chiwetel Ejiofor (who played Peabody) is a very talented English actor. His american accent was convincing but this role just wasn't suited for him. Fails.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
Funny. Salt is the first Angelina Jolie film I've ever enjoyed. That said, I'm in no hurry to see it again. Once is probably enough. But it kept me entertained which is all that movie is aiming for.

Finally saw Scott Pilgrim a couple days ago. It was even more awesome than I was expecting. It wasn't perfect. I don't think the part with the twins was necessary. But the movie seemed like a big tribute to video games. For instance, when Scott uses his extra life and wastes no time confronting Gideon. That's so true. The first time you confront a boss, you take your time, watch the cutscenes, marvel at your surroundings. But if you die, the next time, you just cut to the chase and get to the fight knowing what you have to do.

Chicken Parmigiana isn't vegan?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 02, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
I wish i could rate all the movies I've seen since the last time I posted (around page 52 or so) but I don't have time to remember all of 'em, or go through the thread to see if you guys have already rated them but I wanted to make a point to score this movie...

The Exorcist (Original version) 2/10.

This was my first time seeing it, believe it or not (though I've had enough background knowledge to know what I was getting into). Maybe there was too much hype building this movie up for all those years I haven't seen it, but I was VERY let down. In fact, I'll even go as far as to say this movie SUCKED. I actually saw that POS PG-13 "The Last Exorcism" and found it more suspenseful and interesting than this movie.

Waste of my time.

On a special note, while SPVTW wasn't as good as I hoped (never actually read the source material, only had the trailers to go by) I'm STILL going to give it a 10/10 solely because of the usage of Zelda tunes. When I read the filmmakers asked Nintendo permission for use of the songs, well more importantly HOW they asked, I decided to give it an extra point. "like nursery rhymes to a generation" indeed.

And yes, I too had the same thought of SPVTW feeling like NMH, so did the Crank films.

why isn't there a NMH movies being made dammit!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
isn't rating a derivative work higher kinda backwards?

on Salt
Ii didn't find the camera in Salt to be that shaky...where did you sit in the theater?

Salt 8/10

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:53:11 PM by ThePerm »

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 03, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
Just went to see the movie "The Other Guys"

I was pleasantly surprised since I've been getting pretty sick of Will Farrel's movies.  He still plays a ridiculous character but the movie doesn't revolve around that one character so it's acceptable.  It has good laughs through out the whole thing and the action sequences are fun as well.  Best comparison I can make is to Hot Fuzz since they are both buddy cop comedy films.

Overall 8/10

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:09 AM »
Funny. Salt is the first Angelina Jolie film I've ever enjoyed. That said, I'm in no hurry to see it again. Once is probably enough. But it kept me entertained which is all that movie is aiming for.

Finally saw Scott Pilgrim a couple days ago. It was even more awesome than I was expecting. It wasn't perfect. I don't think the part with the twins was necessary. But the movie seemed like a big tribute to video games. For instance, when Scott uses his extra life and wastes no time confronting Gideon. That's so true. The first time you confront a boss, you take your time, watch the cutscenes, marvel at your surroundings. But if you die, the next time, you just cut to the chase and get to the fight knowing what you have to do.

The other big thing i noticed, and forgot to mention, was Angelina herself the whole way through the film... punching men above her weight and knocking them over.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
I'm going to go and see Scott Pilgrim tonight with my best friend.  Hopefully, it lives up to the rather insane amount of hype it has generated, because I don't care for seeing movies in the theaters and I've never read the graphic novels.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 03, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
I've seen no hype for it. in fact, it tanked in my area. sad.
now I have to wait for the dvd to watch it with an altered state of mind.

speaking if the Other Guys, the explosion scene was shot somewhat locally. it was right up the street from the IHOP I go to and only a few miles from the theatre I saw the movie in. we sat there sand thought " wait isn't that.." and took that road home. sure enough, we were right.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 03, 2010, 04:21:04 PM »

I should have been more specific and said "internet hype."  Nearly all of the sites I regularly go to can't shut up about this movie between VLogs of thoughts on the movie and videos/articles as to why the movie failed to sell well.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1494 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »
I don't think the shaky cam was bad in enough in Salt to ruin the picture, like it was in Public Enemies. There was too much general plot confusion for scenes to be messed up to the point of "I don't know what's going on anymore because the camera is making me nauseous."

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 03, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »

I should have been more specific and said "internet hype."  Nearly all of the sites I regularly go to can't shut up about this movie between VLogs of thoughts on the movie and videos/articles as to why the movie failed to sell well.

Ah, well I've pretty much been on an internet blackout for awhile. My statement still stands; *I* haven't seen any hype ;)

For old times sake:

Black Dynamite - 10/10

Killer Klowns from Outerspace - 6/10 (not as good as when i was a kid, but campy enough to still be fun all these years later)

Innerspace - 7/10 still holds up!

Eurotrip - 5/10 not as funny as it was back in high school.. "Mika" and Michelle Trachtenberg are still smokin' hot though

Swamp Thing - 2/10 no where near as interesting as I remember. I kept fast forwarding to the good parts, which ended up being the credits.

El Orfenato (The Orphanage) 8/10. Only thing keeping this from being a 10 is their spanish. I hate it.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure - 7/10 (Danny Elfman, I love you!)

Who's Harry Crumb - 8/10 Fucking miss you John Candy!

Batman Returns - 6/10 Not as good as a kid, looks SO cheesey compared to the reboot and its sequel, and it was kinda perverted for what in a way was a kids movie ("kids movie" in the sense that, as a child I only wanted to watch it cuz batman is batman, I had the toys and thought it was cool. Whereas Batman Begins/Dark Knight were good films, period.)

Super High Me - 8/10 Super Interested Me

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 03, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

The other big thing i noticed, and forgot to mention, was Angelina herself the whole way through the film... punching men above her weight and knocking them over.

its possible to knock someone larger than you down, the key is using the ground which is infinitely more weighty than you as your force. A very strong human punch is 730 pounds.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
So...Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World.  Yeah...that has to be one of the strangest movies I've ever seen, and my big problem with it is that it's basically two movies in one: a really lousy and slow 30-minute movie focusing on an unlikeable loser (seriously, this guy could give Shinji from Evangelion a run for his money in sheer wussiness) and his friends just lounging around, and then a really awesome 75+-minute movie/video game spectacle focusing on that loser learning to grow a pair and fight for what he believes in without screwing over his friends.  The visual style of this movie took a lot of getting used to, but in the end I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed the writing in general.  No movie has ever "gotten" video game culture like this one has, and the movie is all the better for it with the respect and love it shows to the language of video games.  Sadly, this is a movie that is seemingly designed to be a cult classic, and it was one that was never likely to sell well in theaters.  I think it'll do well on DVD and Blu-Ray, and I hope it does.  It's just a pity that it moves so frickin' slowly and lamely for the first 1/3 of the movie.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 04, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
so the movie has a range of 1/3 intro  2/3 climax and conclusion? Isn't that the golden ratio?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1499 on: September 04, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
It's just a pity that it moves so frickin' slowly and lamely for the first 1/3 of the movie.

Same thing happened with Batman Begins, the first 45 minutes were terrible but the rest was pretty good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20