Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545564 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1500 on: September 04, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
It's just a pity that it moves so frickin' slowly and lamely for the first 1/3 of the movie.

Same thing happened with Batman Begins, the first 45 minutes were terrible but the rest was pretty good.

Huh, I actually liked the first 45 minutes of that movie (in fact, post-Dark Knight I feel like Batman Begins suddenly gets a lot of unwarranted criticism).  They established the backstory and theme of the movie (fear, its effect on people, and how to make it your weapon), and set the stage for the action-based rest of the movie.  Scott Pilgrim just kind of wanders for the first 30 minutes or so.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1501 on: September 04, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »
That's your opinion, I was just bored out of my mind until he actually became Batman. I didn't like the fact that Scarecrow was only in the movie for about 10 minutes combined even though he was the main villain.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
i thought the introduction period of batman was great
and if you put this into words it sounds even more awesome

Parents are murdered, murderer goes to trial, wayne dissapears, goes to the orient, gets put in asian prison, gets into prison fights, gets out of prison to become a  ninja, sets the ninja clans house on fire

the thing thats great about that story, is it kinda establishes that Wayne is not a crazy, he's not just some schmo running around wearing a suit "wearing hockey armor" he is actually a highly trained combatant trained by Ninja assassins. Not to mention he is already fucking loaded so he can afford to own his own industrial weapons tech.

I remember walking out of Batman Begins thinking Wow, that is so much more awesome than I could have imagined. It wasn't your standard Batman movie, it was a serious character development piece that grounds what Batman is in reality. If it wasn't a Batman movie it would still be a pretty interesting film to watch. I remember waiting for The Dark Knight to come out, knowing full well that it would be very difficult to continue
on the story with the same type of realism. I knew that the way they would have to approach the joker would be very difficult, but i pretty much knew what they were going to do. Even so they exceeded my expectations.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
machete 10/10   this movie doesn't **** around. plus L-Lohan is topless. sure she looks like s crack whore, but still.

oh and if Logan doesn't do it for you, the Crazy Babysitter Twins from Planet Terror are back..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1504 on: September 05, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Lohan looks terrible, how would her being topless be a good thing?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 05, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
It's a body double anyway.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 05, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Lohan looks a lot healthier recently, unfortunately they shot her scenes before she gained the weight back.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 05, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
It's a body double anyway.

not in her last nude scene. they try to cover her goods up with her hair but fail. the pool screen is obviously a double.

yeah she doesn't look that great but it was worth mentioning for anyone who odd a fan..

I miss the rat
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
yeah, they'll probably catch Rat in a theater pulling a peewee

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »
That's your opinion, I was just bored out of my mind until he actually became Batman. I didn't like the fact that Scarecrow was only in the movie for about 10 minutes combined even though he was the main villain.

This.

Batman Begins was boring. They tried to be high minded about it and use fear as the theme, but didn't explore nor utilize the villain which personified said theme. Instead of giving the Scarecrow his time to shine, they instead opted for a boring, over-the-top plot about ninjas trying to take over the world. Stupid. If it weren't for the remake of Insomnia, I'd say Batman Begins was Christopher Nolan's worst film.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:57 PM »
The Godfather 5/5, thanks Netflix
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 06, 2010, 04:25:01 AM »
How would a scarecrow plot pan out as movie anyhow? Believe it or not even despite leaving a terrible taste in everyone's mouth Batman and Robin was a box office successful movie. There were plans on making the next movie with scarecrow, where Robin was in college and Crane was Robin's professor. Which sounds like a Spider-man plot. Harlequin was going to be in the movie and be Joker's daughter, and joker was going to be a hallucination.

Luckily, the bad taste put this film in development hell for years. What they did have of Scarecrow in the Batman Begins was I thought pretty awesome. Not to mention Scarecrow hasn't even been eliminated yet as a villain, so he can still pan out. The thing that just amazes me was that Ra's al guhl was even a villain at all. He's essentially batmans equivelent to Iron Man's Mandarin, and The Shadow's Shiwan Khan. I thought they pulled him off quite well. It also helps if your a fan of the villain, which it would seem most people aren't. I've been a fan of him since TOS. I think though, he was a great change of pace from previous Zany Riddler type villains.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 06, 2010, 06:01:22 AM »
Ra's al guhl was a great initial villain for the new Batman series I thought. It set a great tone for the new series. No more zany characters for Batman please.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1513 on: September 06, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Some of the best Batman villains could be considered "zany" though. For example, I love the Riddler and the Mad Hatter (don't get me wrong, I don't want "camp" villains like in the 60s show). They made several good episodes with Scarecrow in Batman: The Animated Series, so I am sure they could have made a plot where Scarecrow was more than just afterthought.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 06, 2010, 02:17:26 PM »
Luckily, the bad taste put this film in development hell for years. What they did have of Scarecrow in the Batman Begins was I thought pretty awesome. Not to mention Scarecrow hasn't even been eliminated yet as a villain, so he can still pan out. The thing that just amazes me was that Ra's al guhl was even a villain at all. He's essentially batmans equivelent to Iron Man's Mandarin, and The Shadow's Shiwan Khan. I thought they pulled him off quite well. It also helps if your a fan of the villain, which it would seem most people aren't. I've been a fan of him since TOS. I think though, he was a great change of pace from previous Zany Riddler type villains.

Wow, a reference to The Shadow.  Applaud!   ;)

Yeah, I thought the Scarecrow was in Batman Begins just enough.  If you look at the Batman: TAS episodes he's in, he's really not in them very much and goes down quickly.  He's only really there to give Batman something to punch once he's fought through the hallucinations.  As for Ra's Al Ghul, I only had two problems with his portrayal in the movie and they both stem from Batman: TAS:

1.  He never calls Batman "Detective".
2.  It's pronounced "Race-sh", not "Rah-s"  Only Terry McGinnis can call him the latter.   :P:

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1515 on: September 06, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »
The first problem has more to do with the direction the series is going in than the way the character was written. This Batman just isn't really emphasizing the "World's Greatest Dective" part. Your second point bothered me as well, though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1516 on: September 06, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
I just saw "Batman: Under the Red Hood" and could tell exactly where it was going within about five minutes. I knew the character's story already, but was interested to see if the DCAU did something different with it. Nope.

Is Joker voiced by Bender in this movie? He didn't do an awful job, but animated Joker just seems wrong without Mark Hamill, I'm sorry.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:37 AM »
I just saw "Batman: Under the Red Hood" and could tell exactly where it was going within about five minutes. I knew the character's story already, but was interested to see if the DCAU did something different with it. Nope.

Generally, Bruce Timm project tends to stick fairly close to the original source material, with only minor changes made for the sake of pacing and approachability.  He did make some changes with Under the Red Hood from the comics, though, such as removing all references to Final Crisis and just focusing the plot as a story about the Bat-family.  He also added some additional scenes with the Joker that I thought worked particular well.  From what I've heard of the comic origin for Red Hood (Superboy Prime punching the barrier between dimensions, causing all these effects?  Please...), I greatly approve of these changes.  I actually wish this was a formal part of the DCAU, because aside a few plot details this movie could have released alongside Return of the Joker and fit in just fine in the DCAU mythos.

Is Joker voiced by Bender in this movie? He didn't do an awful job, but animated Joker just seems wrong without Mark Hamill, I'm sorry.

Yes, he is voiced by the same voice actor, and I thought he did a fine job as the Joker.  If Hamill sticks to what he's been saying and Arkham Asylum 2 is his final role as the Joker, I wouldn't mind seeing this voice actor return to voice him in later DC animated projects.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:21:27 AM by broodwars »

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:41 AM »
The Godfather: Part II 4/5

Scarface: Surprisingly preachy/5
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1519 on: September 07, 2010, 02:51:40 AM »
Brood, the movies aren't part of the DCAU cannon? I always assumed they were, but I guess that's why they say that thing about assuming.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 07, 2010, 02:55:45 AM »
Brood, the movies aren't part of the DCAU cannon? I always assumed they were, but I guess that's why they say that thing about assuming.

No, the DCAU officially ended with the last season of Justice League Unlimited.  All the post JLU movies are in their own continuities, based on their own comics (and associated art styles).  They'll bring in the voice actors from the DCAU occasionally to reprise their roles, but that's just for the purpose of fanservice because they know we like those actors so much.

The only DC animated movies that are part of the DCAU canon are as follows:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

There's also a Superman movie involving Brainiac, though it's supposedly crappy and I don't think it's officially part of the canon.  Note that although there is fanservice to the DCAU in places, Teen Titans is also not canon to the DCAU.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 02:59:23 AM by broodwars »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1521 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:21 AM »
That's really a shame. I loved the way the DCAU became it's own cannon with characters being featured in eachother's shows (Static Shock, JL:Unlimited, Batman Beyond). I had read somewhere that the AU was cannon for like Earth 3 or something in the comics. It's a shame it's no longer being built upon.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »
2012: Equally as depressing as Knowing and frustrating as hell. Once again Chiwetel Ejiofor is a fantastic actor and deserves better than this!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 07, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
The Haunting in Connecticut: 2/10. I can't really put into words how much I thought this sucked.

I actually liked the SciFi special about it (which aired waaay before the movie came out) better than this POS. I knew from the get-go that hey'd ruin the original story by adding nonsensical plot to it.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1524 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Mystery of the Batwomen was surprisingly bad.

Revenge of the Nerds: WOW This is an 80's Movie/10

It wasn't great. Good, sure, but not something I'd ever watch again.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.