Author Topic: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii  (Read 19435 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
I find it funny that the argument about blue shells is essentially the same argument as tourney***s and items in Smash Bros. except everybody is on the opposite side.

I think it's funny that people seem to think "If it's part of the game it should be in there" is a good argument.  Why on EARTH is it not alright to have a personal per item opinion about a game?  Do you honestly think that one person saying "ALL ITEMS IN SMASH BROS SHOULD BE SHUT OFF" is the same as another person saying "The blue shell in Mario Kart hinders the experience and should be taken out."

Come on.  I know silly rules make life easier to live, but everything isn't black and white.

I wasn't judging the arguments, I was just making an observation.

The arguments aren't the same because of what they argue, they're the same because of the reasoning behind the argument. Both the people who want the blue shells gone and the people who hate items in Smash Bros. want those things because the those things introduce random elements into the game that de-emphasize skill as a part of playing the game and can result in people winning because of luck as  opposed to because they played the game the best. The people arguing against them argue that the randomness is part of the fun and is the way the game was intended to be played. I myself would be one of the people that argue for items in Smash Bros. and against blue shells in Mario Kart, I just think it's funny that the two games get people to come to the exact opposite opinions on this issue.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
Opinions can't be debated, but the reasons behind them can be. Also the whole POINT of the blue shell is to hit people at the last part of the race! :)
Perhaps losing a singleplayer race to a blue shell and being forced to start the whole cup over is a bit frustrating and thus worth docking points over?
A "whole cup" is like 15 minutes. And that's basically the entire single player game. Compare it to unlocking things in Brawl.

I can't wait til the game is out and we're just playing it instead of talking about this crap.
Wasting 15 minutes through sheer bad luck is frustrating no matter what. Would you want any other game to have a random chance to declare "Game Over" when you finish a level?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
It's not sheer luck. You're in first, you know someone could get a blue shell.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »
Here is my take on the Blue Shell. The blue shell only starts to cause problems in the last leg of the last lap in a race. People typically only complain about the blue shell when they get hit right before the finish line. It is annoying to have to redo whole circuits because of it and it never ceases to frustrate me when it happens. If there wasn't rubberband AI it wouldn't really matter at all, but being that there is, a blue shell is pretty much instant loss if it hits you near the end of the race.

I think the solution to the whole Blue Shell debate is not as simple as take it or leave it. The blue shell is a vital part of races; if it was to be removed, I can almost guarantee races would not feel the same. Leaving it the way it is clearly isn't working either though, so why not make a compromise?

Lets say that Nintendo transparently changed the randomization of items so that when any racer crosses a certain point on the track in the last lap, blue shells can no longer come up in an item block for anyone. Now this wouldn't stop people who have been hoarding one, which I think is alright because they would have turned down other items in order to do so; it would also make it so that the probability of getting nailed by last place at the finish line was extremely low.

Not sure if everyone agrees with this, but it seems to satisfy both camps IMO.

Not only would this idea improve the game, but it would make the last lap more exciting when you enter "The Blue Shell Free Zone".  Too bad it doesn't exist, pity.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »
I myself would be one of the people that argue for items in Smash Bros. and against blue shells in Mario Kart, I just think it's funny that the two games get people to come to the exact opposite opinions on this issue.

Again, I think it's more that most people agree that items in Smash Bros do require skill to use, as do most of the items in Mario Kart. But if the Blue Shell were in Smash Bros, it'd essentially be a one-hit-kill item that requires no aiming, timing, or proximity to use, and that can't be countered, blocked, or dodged, I think most people would hate it.

Oh, and I do agree that your observation is valid and fairly amusing, but I do feel the need to analyze the differences between the situations.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:53:20 PM by LuigiHann »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »
The blue shell should automatically go for the persons in front (but in ascending order!), but if you're first it should go for second place only.

For instance, if i'm 8th and get a blue shell it should hit 7th then 6th then 5th and so on. The chaos will completely rewrite the race.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
I don't hate the blue shell as much when I'm in 1st place and get hit with it, but rather when I'm in last place and it comes out of my item box, because then it does me no good.  It will let the 2nd or 3rd place guy move up to 1st, but it won't help the 12th place guy move up at all.  If the blue shell was given to racers higher up in the rank, it would actually have some competitive value, and it wouldn't be much more annoying than red shells.  I do think there should be a way to dodge the blue shell, just as there should be some defensive measure against all the items in the game (other than activating a star at the last second).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
It's not sheer luck. You're in first, you know someone could get a blue shell.

In other words you propose remaining second?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
Steal 1st after 1st place is hit by a blue shell.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »
So this is how all MK related thread will be like? Destroyed by constant whining, bitching and debating about the blue shell?

I know it sucks, but must we dive into the blue shell discussion every time Mario Kart is brought up? Its an important item, yes, but lately it seems that the hot topic isn't whether the game runs smooth online or not, or even the character roster or gimped battle mode.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:29 PM »
So this is how all MK related thread will be like? Destroyed by constant whining, bitching and debating about the blue shell?

I know it sucks, but must we dive into the blue shell discussion every time Mario Kart is brought up? Its an important item, yes, but lately it seems that the hot topic isn't whether the game runs smooth online or not, or even the character roster or gimped battle mode.

Those things might ruin this game, but the blue shell ruined the whole series :p

Actually, I think it's more a case where there's nothing better to complain about. The game is, as far as I can tell, fine.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 10:54:29 PM »
With foobared Battle Mode, looks like I have a good reason to keep MK64 on my Wii.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »

Blocked at the register, so don't bother trying.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
Allow blue shell to be turned off. Everyone is happy and Nintendo doesn't have to do much work. We all win.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »
With the ability to turn all items off, it IS surprising there isn't an item switch akin to Smash Brothers'...It would have been great to have races of ONLY green shells, bananas, or even BLUE SHELLS! =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 12:31:01 AM »
It would have been great to have races of ONLY [...] BLUE SHELLS! =D
Hell yeah.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:10 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, in case anyone cares - Mario Kart Wii comes in a real, plastic case - not a crappy paper sleeve. :)

Yay!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 06:02:05 AM »

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'll be online swearing at those opportunistic blue shells.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
Just played a round of MK 64, 150cc Star Cup and was reminded why I liked this iteration so much.  After finishing first overall, and remaining in first the majority of the races, I was not hit w/ a single blue shell. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »
I think we need a word-filter on the words blue shell. Maybe something like GAME BREAKER or BROKEN GAME MECHANIC.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:13 PM »
It should be changed to "bad graphics".

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 07:32:49 AM »
I reckon it should be changed to "baby daisy".

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, in case anyone cares - Mario Kart Wii comes in a real, plastic case - not a crappy paper sleeve. :)

Yay!

GOOD. I was going to be seriously bent if it didn't.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »
I can absolutely confirm the blue shell thing as complete hogwash. It's WAY better to be out in front than the midfield in this game, where you can get hit with A MILLION THINGS! Blue shells don't even appear every race, and when they do it's nothing! Because everyone else is being pelted by 2x more items!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 03:48:53 AM »
I can absolutely confirm the blue shell thing as complete hogwash. It's WAY better to be out in front than the midfield in this game, where you can get hit with A MILLION THINGS! Blue shells don't even appear every race, and when they do it's nothing! Because everyone else is being pelted by 2x more items!

That's complete madness!
Also, judging from the GameTrailers video review, the Blue Shell's splash is as big as ever XD