Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243615 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
Tricks seem hard to do, is anyone else having a problem? Can the describe for me how to better do them with the wheel?  thank you.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 28, 2008, 12:11:53 AM »
Timing. Do it just as you go up on the jump.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 28, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »
I'm on people!

Still getting the hang of it. Sent out some friend requests, let's see how this works.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 28, 2008, 01:55:41 AM »
You know, Adrock? You have a point when you say that they should include all the classic MK tracks.

They should make a Mario Kart Masterpiece Collection, like Mario All-stars, and include EVERY track, EVERY character, EVERY item, EVERY kart and EVERY feature and mode ever put in a MK game.

I'm dreaming, of course, but it would kick so much ass if you could have bike vs. partner kart races in one of the classic tracks...

The best part of this for me would be that it would finally get my friend to shut up about the lack of the feather in new Mario Karts.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 28, 2008, 02:33:19 AM »
Second two cups in the upper row contain some awesome new tracks.

There kind of F-Zero-ish, they rock.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2008, 03:45:08 AM »
F-Zero-ish? SIGN ME UP
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:47 AM »
Yeah, Koopa Cape honestly looks like it could have been ripped directly from F-Zero.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2008, 04:52:40 AM »
COCONUT MALL. The best freaking track ever.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2008, 07:29:21 AM »
COCONUT MALL. The best freaking track ever.

I like how i swore my head off at RABicle's Mii because it reversed his convertible to block my way on the final lap and dropped me two places. I think he lost me points as well.

But yes, it is awesome.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2008, 08:29:02 AM »
This Mario Kart really blows me away.

If you are going to be playing in a tournament, or for some reason just need absolutely perfect control, then the Wiimote + nunchuk is the best control type in the game.  However, it is not as fun as the wheel.

There is just something very engaging about the Wii Wheel, and it does make the game more enjoyable.  There is only one problem I have with the wheel, and it is the timing involved with the drifting.

If you hop and then turn into your drift, you may accidentally turn/drift the opposite direction you desire to go in.  It is easy to correct, but it is annoying.  If you remember to turn first then you never have that problem...more at least much less likely. 

Other than that, the wheel works perfectly, and adds enough stability to the Wiimote to really help your driving.  I can't wait to see what it feels like to race Excite Truck with the wheel.

Finally, this Mario Kart has the most creative and elaborate track design of any Mario Kart.  And it definitely ramps up the difficulty...having 12 racers compete against you is really insane...specially when they are all bombarding you with weapons. 

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
Tricks seem hard to do, is anyone else having a problem? Can the describe for me how to better do them with the wheel?  thank you.

Tricks are definitely a little tricky w/ the wheel or wii-chuk as they don't always register.  I have found the best method to be "The Thrustmaster" controller.  It is a wireless Gamecube controller w/ rumble that allows you to remap the stunts on the d pad, to any button you choose.  With this method, pulling stunts is seamless and works every time. 

Not sure why the game doesn't allow you to remap the way Smash does, but this controller has been a solid solution for my preferences.  The only thing you really miss w/ this are the speaker alerts, but you will still hear these from your stereo/tv.  You can find it online or at any Circuit City for $20.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:32:54 AM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Tricks register for me 100% of the time with the wheel.
Other than that, the wheel works perfectly, and adds enough stability to the Wiimote to really help your driving.  I can't wait to see what it feels like to race Excite Truck with the wheel.
Huh? Excite Truck doesn't use steering wheel controls, it uses tilt controls. The wheel would make no sense at all with Excite Truck

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
I was playing with just the remote yesterday until my batteries got low and i was too lazy to charge them so i used the GC controller. Its was odd getting used to the stick for racing when i was so used to using motion controls (all those hours of playing Excite Truck really helped, shame on all of you that dont own that game!).

The funny thing is.. i haven't touched the wheel yet. i popped my wiimote in to see what it looksl ike but by then the batteries were dead so i couldnt even try it out. If it helps add stability thats awesome but i was doing fine w/o it so i might not ever really put it to use. Maybe my girlfriend will like it, i dunno.

Oh also i'd just like to say that i love they put hopping on the 1 button as well as the B button. I'd never be able to use the B button in the remote only position (sans wheel of course, i know it makes the trigger easier to reach). There were times however that my knuckle would end up hitting the B trigger and i'd hop into a drift by mistake but it was never that big of an issue.

My only complaint so far:

Why the hell isn't sending friend invitations easier??? You have to do them one at a time and even then you're limited to like 3 every few mins/hours???? I wanted to get everyone on my wii's friend list out of the way before even playing the game and instead i got halfway thru the third page and had to finish some later after a couple of races.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #613 on: April 28, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »
Huh? Excite Truck doesn't use steering wheel controls, it uses tilt controls. The wheel would make no sense at all with Excite Truck

I know it uses Tilt Control...but the aspect that I think it iwill help is creating a stability to driving, that is somewhat lacking with just the Wiimote.  I just think it will help and I can't wait to try it out. 

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 28, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »
Wow, I just tried playing MK with the tilt controls and it works the same. A bit more awkward but it seems Nintendo made it both ways

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »
Not really a gameplay topic but... is anyone else a little miffed about some of the voices? Personally, I die a little inside every time I hear Donkey Kong in the game, it's just awful.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 28, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

Tricks register for me now perfectly because I understand the timing.  That was the problem.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
Not really a gameplay topic but... is anyone else a little miffed about some of the voices? Personally, I die a little inside every time I hear Donkey Kong in the game, it's just awful.
More like hilarious

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 28, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »
More like hilarious

Ya I agree Jungle Beat and on DK's voice is HORRIBLE.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline MilkManX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
So far I love this Kart. Best one since SNES for me. As much as I loved the DS one the snaking was annoying and now I have that game plus more and better online. Sweet. I love the Wii Wheel and cant imagine using a regular controller.
Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

Haven't tried all the racers yet so i wouldnt know. What i DO know is i absolutely LOVE the way Luigi says "cool" (or whatever) when he does a wheelie on a bike. It just captures his personality perfectly.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 28, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
I need money so I can purchase this game, tho I might wait for someone to get it for me for my birthday next month. I got the Nintendo 64 (my first console) & Mario Kart 64 on my birthday 10 years ago, so it'd be like full circle...if that didn't sound incredibly stupid.

Anyway, I saw DK's voice on Youtube...man. I think he's had approximately 1000 different voices, and the only one that ever fit was the one from Smash Bros. The monkey doesn't need to talk English, Nintendo! He's a monkey!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
DK speaks English?!  Unsold.  And all the complaints about it not being enough like Double Dash had almost convinced me to buy it, too.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 28, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
DK speaks English?!  Unsold.  And all the complaints about it not being enough like Double Dash had almost convinced me to buy it, too.

DK pretty much sounds like he did in Jungle Beat. Which is sucky.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 28, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
Good thing I never play as Donkey Kong. And anyone I know who plays as Donkey Kong would get a kick out of him sounding as obnoxious as possible.