Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 90393 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:28:43 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »
I wrote a song called "doodoola-dat-dat," there's no lyrics and it's just guitar and drums. It's pretty good though. The name comes from how the beginning of it goes with the guitar and drums..."doodoola dat-dat doodoolaa dat-dat doodoola dat."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
Why don't you post it?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
Never been recorded.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
http://stogi.bandcamp.com/track/heavenly-bodies

A very Ryan Leslie type production. Probably my best in terms of drums. Enjoy!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Fuckin aye it's been a long time. I haven't been able to produce nothin for a while do to my labby being basically worthless. I'm finally back in it. Enjoy the first of many! And as always CRITICIZE ME.

http://soundcloud.com/stogi/k-wise-productions-chosen

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
I probably make the Dee-Da-Dee-Da string part that goes through a lot of the song softer.  Its more overpowering then I think it should be because its pretty obvious it's suppose to complement all the sounds that come in and out. 

I don't know what it is but the drum part feels off from the rest of it.  Sort of like everyone is dancing and its the one part that is standing a little off from the crowd and still dancing.  Its on the dance floor so its suppose to be their but, I can't put my finger on it.

When you bring in the organ sounding part it has what sounds like an electrical edge to it but, you have some people doing a more classic style vocal part.  You might want to try using a more traditional organ sound their with the power and smoothness that imbibes.

Their is a part that I'm pretty sure is the metal little chain striker thing that looks like a kitchen tool that used to hit drums and you seem to have added an effect to the chink sound where you hear the chink and then get this sort of Reverb crunch sound from it.  Can't say I'm to fond of that reverb and rather hear a clean chink I think.

:56 you have this neat part where you start to establish the Dum dee dum dum da da and it sounds like your using multiple synth wind instruments to play the part at different ranges.  I might do a few less.

The Thyremin(SP?) sounding part is cool.  Sort of wish it was brought out a little bit more.

I think 2:07 to about 3:11 is your cleanest segment.  A nice part.

The 3:40ish you have the main theme being played by some extemish bass notes but its hard to tell with how the overriding louder high notes are.  I actually missed it the first time and I think that is a neat concept. 

Overall I don't think this was a bad composition.  I enjoyed it.  I'm going to assume this was done with a Midi-Keyboard or elk?

Welp, you said to Criticize you and I'm pretty good at that.  I hope you find some of these commits useful and constructive.  These are from my 2 listens through.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:38:21 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
Hey thanks for the critique!

I haven't mastered it yet (meaning it won't sound the same out of every speaker), but I will keep your first point in mind when doing so.

Your second point about the drums may be because you are hearing too much treble out of them. Again, it may be because I haven't mastered it yet, but the Toms I use provide ample amount of 'pop' and bass. They do sound a bit weird out of headphones. I'm going to look into that.

The 'electrical edge' was kinda a toss up whether to leave it in or not. At first its part was much larger during the final part of the song, but it became too overwhelming. So I scratched it entirely but brought back a segment because I think it adds to the overall epicness of the piece. It's definitely out of place though.

The little metal chain striker...Are you talking about the snare? It's actually two snares put together. One of them you can hear by itself during the piano break down. The other is much louder and 'crunchier'. This is one point I can't use. I really like that snare. It gives the song a sense of importance and it matches the bass line perfectly.

You're right about the wind instruments. I'm playing a dominant octave and one bellow that is less dominant. It wasn't by choice, almost by necessity. If you were to hear only one octave by itself it would sound less intimidating.

Thyremin part? I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly. Are you talking about that 'wobble' noise behind the piano?

Thank you. I too think the piano part is squeaky clean. Some others said it might have gone on too long. What do you think? I think the length is appropriate considering how vastly different it is. I've tried cutting it in half and it sounded more like a tease than anything.

That bass line you hear at 3:40 is actually played throughout the song hahahaha, almost every 8 bars. Again, headphones aren't doing the song justice. I really should master it. When played on my stereo my house shakes...incredibly. That's how loud and low the bass gets. And it's my favorite part of the song other than the horns.

This one was done on my laptop with no other equipment.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:08:38 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2011, 07:06:44 PM »
Hey thanks for the critique!

I haven't mastered it yet (meaning it won't sound the same out of every speaker), but I will keep your first point in mind when doing so.

Your second point about the drums may be because you are hearing too much treble out of them. Again, it may be because I haven't mastered it yet, but the Toms I use provide ample amount of 'pop' and bass. They do sound a bit weird out of headphones. I'm going to look into that.

The 'electrical edge' was kinda a toss up whether to leave it in or not. At first its part was much larger during the final part of the song, but it became too overwhelming. So I scratched it entirely but brought back a segment because I think it adds to the overall epicness of the piece. It's definitely out of place though.

The little metal chain striker...Are you talking about the snare? It's actually two snares put together. One of them you can hear by itself during the piano break down. The other is much louder and 'crunchier'. This is one point I can't use. I really like that snare. It gives the song a sense of importance and it matches the bass line perfectly.

You're right about the wind instruments. I'm playing a dominant octave and one bellow that is less dominant. It wasn't by choice, almost by necessity. If you were to hear only one octave by itself it would sound less intimidating.

Thyremin part? I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly. Are you talking about that 'wobble' noise behind the piano?

Thank you. I too think the piano part is squeaky clean. Some others said it might have gone on too long. What do you think? I think the length is appropriate considering how vastly different it is. I've tried cutting it in half and it sounded more like a tease than anything.

That bass line you hear at 3:40 is actually played throughout the song hahahaha, almost every 8 bars. Again, headphones aren't doing the song justice. I really should master it. When played on my stereo my house shakes...incredibly. That's how loud and low the bass gets. And it's my favorite part of the song other than the horns.

This one was done on my laptop with no other equipment.

It be the wobble noise then.

On the clean segment, I think it was fine length.  I definitely wouldn't cut it in half.   The most I go be to take maybe a quarter of it away if you like.

On the Snare piece then what I thought was a reverb effect was a second snare hit right after?  Still think the 1 keeps that part like in the piano segment but, *shrug* different tastes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
I'll try it with one and then the other.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
i didnt know what thread to put this in, but I need some musical analysis from experts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT4avUqaeB0
I was going through Cartoon intros, and I was like this is clearly based on something, WTF is it. Then it came to me, a Bob Marley song, but which one. Then I listened to some and got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYbF99voEs
they sound different, but when you just whistle the melody they are almost identical

What do you think?

also i have an original song composition, and rather than put it on a song site, ill just attach it to a mpg and put it on youtube.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:41:59 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2011, 10:17:23 PM »
LOL that's not Bob Marley. That's UB40. Their British....and they're white.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
See music expert, thats why we need you. British people, they're good at music.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
Ahaha god this is funny
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
funny that the mermaid song has the same chord progression as Red Wine, or that I perpetuated an easy mistake? I mean I didn't post the Youtube video. Songs are mis-atributed all the time. All i knew is that the mermaid song sounded familiar, so i started whistling the tune, and then was like...this sounds so familiar. Then I heard the ghost of the song it was supposed to be without lyrics. Then thought...Reggae sounding. Reggae...Bob Marley, youtube search bob marley songs. Red Wine. Turns out Bob Marley didn't sing it. The original Reggae version was by Tony Tribe, and it was originally written by Neil Diamond. The Wikipedia article is funny because someone put in bold letters "bob marley DID NOT, record this song ever" 

This would never have happened if I had some NZT

also, UB40 did a version of this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osfEXfBO1LI
which also sounds similar to the mermaid song

brain cloud, now i just need some expert to mix the 3 songs.

which also makes me think: Stephen Graham from Boardwalk empire

totally looks like Ali Campbell from UB40
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:27:28 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
It's funny that someone put up that song as a Bob Marley tune, looking at the related videos there seems to be "don't worry, be happy" attributed to marley also. It just rinds me of when I was going out with this girl and I had checked her iPod and she had all these songs tagged as the rolling stones, but when I played them they were just a collection of vaguely similar songs by other artists.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
Van Morrison Brown Eyed girl sounds like a Rolling Stone song, I was an early adopter of the mp3 format. I had a Diamond Rio, and 100s of songs on my HD just before there was a Napster or iTunes and mis-attribution has always been a problem. From an internet consumer stand point it sucks because than it becomes harder to figure out who made what song. Though if it were the year 2050, all this **** would be old music and all sound the same. I listen to a lot of swing music, and it would be interesting if someone were to do a period piece with more contemporary swing music, would they notice the anachronistic music?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »
Made a new track tonight for this halloween weekend. It was real quick so its not mastered or anything. Enjoy! And have a great weekend!

http://stogi.bandcamp.com/track/follow-me

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
This is a really quality track.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
Made a beat yesterday to give to a DJ friend last night, so he could mix it in to his set.

Check it out.

http://stogi.bandcamp.com/track/k-wise-productions-paint

It's a simple beat with nothing going on that's overly complicated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:18:04 PM by Stogi »

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
I've got a band going, and we're rather close to putting out first album out. Happy Leviathan is the name. Sortof an alternative rock group, with a mixture of acoustic and electric guitar. I play drums.
We got a banjo player. That's right. Banjo.

Let me know what you all think! We have a few of the rough tracks up on YouTube.

YouTube.com/happyleviathan
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
could someone mix the mario theme song with Fun's "We are young"?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
I can't even think of how that would sound, which isn't good.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
Wow.....it's been a minute!

Got a new song to show you. It's vastly different from anything else I've shown you (even those I've shared with privately).

It's a spin-off of a song my friend and I are developing. Our song, a mix of blues, Spanish flamenco, and reggae is going to be a beast, but in the mean time, I decided to take a piece of that delicious pie and venture into a new direction. And voila! A song that honestly reminds of Outkast was born.

http://stogi.bandcamp.com/track/creole

The trumpet solo needs work, but that's going to be scrapped once my friend tears it up on the sax!

As always, let me know what you think.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Here's a little thing I've been playing around with for a while on Guitar. Not much going on with it, but I think it's pretty catchy.

http://chirb.it/B4Orn9
Gouge away.