Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 90541 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a beat for you guys. This is cut from my cd (though rappers are still pending; hell, i might have to do it myself). It borrows heavily from trance and trance techniques but I feel that is what rap is becoming; a mesh of dance cultures.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=J456jc
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
Sounds good.
I'm listening to it on the TV speakers, so I didn't get a real good sense of the bass output, but the beat is solid. Makes me wish I could rap, then I would put something down for you.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
I like it.  Just for the hell of it, give me a topic and I'll rap over it.  I'm white like Lindy, so brace yourself.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
BNM: Yeah...with all my songs, they definitely need a solid pair of headphones or speakers. I'm glad you like it.

D_Average: I'm glad you like it too. umm.....this song was made for the party scene, so any subject that revolves around that. But it honestly could be about anything.

Anyone else want to step in and give him a subject?

EDIT: I'm going to work on the hook.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:21:46 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
I like it.  Just for the hell of it, give me a topic and I'll rap over it.  I'm white like Lindy, so brace yourself. Blowin yo mind like its windy, watch yo mental health

word!

I'll check the song out
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
I just relapsed, so give me a few weeks, and I should be able to throw something somewhat coherent together.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a beat for you guys. This is cut from my cd (though rappers are still pending; hell, i might have to do it myself). It borrows heavily from trance and trance techniques but I feel that is what rap is becoming; a mesh of dance cultures.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=J456jc

Listening to the intro and i like it so far

I like the K Wise Production bit and i'm hoping you don't over do it like Kid Cuddie...

The melody that starts @ 0:52 reminds me of Metroid Prime tones.. good **** ;)

ahh... @ 2:08, the song just kinda died for me, even though it started to slow down around 1:55. Without a vocal or something there, it sounds kinda barren..

@2:21 reminds me of The Jam.. lol

As usual, the song picks up again and ends, leaving you wanting more. Good **** Stogi. Glad you didn't do the Kid Cuddie thing ;)

Now, after like 7 different edits to this post because i was commenting on your song as i listened to it, I'm gonna go put it on my ipod :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:06:40 PM by EasyCure »
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
I play it at the beginning to open up the beat. Kinda like the "Convict Music" you hear at the beginning of any Akon song. It's on all my newest beats. I think it makes it sound more official.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2009, 11:10:12 PM »
All it needs is some auto-tune.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:48 AM »
That's the last thing I want on any of my songs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:11:24 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »
Why not? D_average + autotune = hit pop song :P

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
***Hook***

Like my phone says!
I came with 3 G's
Rollin' up on double d's
with an ounce of them trees
HEY!
Cuz I'm the man, girlfriend
Anything bad said about me is blasphemy
GOD DAYUM!
Cuz I know you don't know me (know me)
But these girls will vouch for me (vouch for me)
Don't get it twisted,
I don't want to be your guy,
I just want you by my side,
for the rest of the night,
HEY!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »
i think i'll use this (get it) song on my demo reel, its like puzzle solving demo display goodness, and it makes me want to play metroid
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »
Hey, I completely forgot.  I recently updated a new song to my band's MySpace site.  The new song is called And I Say.

http://www.myspace.com/assortedguns

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
Hey, I completely forgot.  I recently updated a new song to my band's MySpace site.  The new song is called And I Say.

http://www.myspace.com/assortedguns

I really wanted to (finally) check out your bands music, and I even updated my computers flash player since I could'nt listen to it on Myspace without it. For some reason, it still won't work lol. I'll have to give you feedback some other time.

edit: Some other time is now!

I'm going to be dead honest here; this really wasn't what I was expecting from you Ian. If you took away the fact that the vocal melody sounded almost exactly like Social Distortion's "Story of My Life" (listen to the chorus), i probably wouldn't of thought the song was very catchy.

I did, however, really enjoy both Creep, Radiant Someone, and Clutter (although Clutter sounds a little similar to Radiant Someone, and RS is much better IMHO). The vocals are a little hard to get in to, but i've heard so much worse its not even funny.

Oh and i wish i woulda taken a screen cap but I think myspace is dissing you and your band.. twice when on your page i notied a banner ad reading "meet REAL guys (a playground for women)" lol
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:14:34 PM by EasyCure »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
I am aware of the Story of My Life similarities.  I wonder if I played Guitar Hero 3 a little too much. ;)  It was unintentional though.  I liked the end results so I figured "eh, **** it."  A lot of songs sound similar.  I've had songs I started writing years ago that I had to scrap because some major band later released a song that sounded almost exactly the same.  "Gone Away" by Offspring and "Do the Evolution" by Pearl Jam are two songs that when they first came out I thought "Wait, that's my song!  DAMN IT!"

I never really noticed any similarity between Radiant Someone and Clutter.  I guess it's because I know the chord structures are different.

When I go to the site the ad I get is for a biker dating site.  I have no idea where the HELL that would come from.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
I've been in the same boat and have always had to burst someones bubble as well. My best friend would come up with riffs that'd he show me and id say "uh, sorry dude.. that's aerosmith :p"

Then again I'm very anal about that sorta thing. For instance I heard a song by Cold Cave on the radio the other day, first time ever hearing Cold Cave, and within seconds I thought "wait, this is Goodbye Horses by Lazzerus!" And I couldn't enjoy the song. I ended up checking out more of their music, and they're damn good! But any time that one song plays, I think Goodbye Horses.

It happens.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »
A couple weeks ago I started fiddling with a riff during band practice and said to my brother "hey this sounds pretty good."  He said "it should since it's that riff I came up with six months ago and taught you how to play!"  Yeah, I thought this was coming to me a little too easily.  Though at least some member of the band came up with it.  He once started playing a Tom Cochrane song and was blown away as I appeared to come up with a lyrical melody on the spot. I was being cheeky. :)  My drummer tried to do that to me once but it doesn't work when you sing the lyrics in a different tune!  He's remarkably bad at getting vocal melodies wrong.  In karaoke it's like a mix of humour and frustration.  "Dude you have this CD!  How are you so unfamiliar with this song!  You're not even singing in the same key!  How are you, a songwriter and musician, fucking this up so badly?!"

What's funny about the "hey I wrote this song!" scenario I mentioned above is that when I hear the "real" song it sounds wrong to me.  The chorus for "Do the Evolution" sounds to me like Eddie Vedder stealing the verse melody from one of my songs and trying to change it so it doesn't sound like a rip-off.  But he's never heard my song.  No song I've ever heard actually uses the vocal melody I came up with it.  The awkward-to-me melody that Eddie Vedder is singing is what he came up with on his own.  But it sounds fucking terrible to me.

"Everything's Gone Green" by New Order sounds weird to me because it sounds like an awkward re-write of "Blue Monday".  But "Everything's Gone Green" was actually released FIRST, I just only heard "Blue Monday" first because it's the better-known song.  So essentially New Order re-wrote one of their own songs and got something better.

I was very intolerant of this before I ever learned to play an instrument because I just assumed it was all intentional.  But it really just happens.  There are only 11 notes and just the written music we still have a record of goes back hundreds of years.  Unless you're somehow inventing new notes anything you've written has been done before.  It's really just how you arrange and present it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
lol googbye horses :P

Creep sounds like its out of Doom
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:35:50 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
lol googbye horses :P

Creep sounds like its out of Doom

It's true! haha check 'em out:

Goodbye Horses By Q Lazzarus
vs
Love Comes Close by Cold Cave

If you're familiar with Goodbye Horses, I'm sure you'll spot the similarities instantly. It's not like "omg this is an exact ripoff!" but you'd have to wonder if they weren't inspired by it in the slightest.

Oh and speaking of Doom, another new band I got into has a song that reminds me of that game.. It's a stretch, but This song by Metric vaguely reminds me of a mix of Doom's E1M1 and E1M2's music, if mashed up, but only in tone. You might not even hear it and just think i'm crazy :P

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
ALBUM ART! WOOOOT!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
Cool!  Too bad we're not in the vinyl era anymore.  That would look great on a big record sleeve.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:46 PM »
No joke. I've even bought mediocre albums on vinyl before just because I like the cover art.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »
Nice work Stogi.  Reminds me of a cross between Daft Punk and 70's rock band art.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
I like it, but it looks an awful lot like the cover art for The Strokes album Room on Fire.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!