Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 90576 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Original song compositions
« on: September 09, 2004, 06:16:06 PM »
A lot of guys have shown off their artwork on this forum so I figured I would share with you a song I wrote and recorded with my friends.  It's obviously rough since I didn't record it with any professional equipment but I think it's a catchy song and I'm very proud of it.  I figure we can use this thread for anyone here to discuss and share any of their original compositions.

Anyway our band is called the Mutation Invasion and the song is called Complicated.  You can download it from here.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Original song compositions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 06:25:15 PM »
Hey I thought it was going to be an Avril Lavinge song :S I like it, maybe the singing could be a little better; but it's definitely catchy, like a kingadmin song. So what instrument are you playing?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:55:56 PM »
I'm doing the singing that could be a little better and guitar.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE:Original song compositions
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »
oh cool I definitely like the guitar bit (if you can, make it longer). I play guitar but usually by myself, so I hope to figure out how to record something sometime.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 10:53:51 PM »
I like the song, it's very catchy

At some points the rhythym seems to fall apart a bit here and there in the bass/keyboard, but overall I think it was very good. You have a good feel for the guitar.

Nice idea for a thread. I haven't written anything decent yet (except ultra-cheesey MIDIs) but I'll see if I can get a few arrangements of mine somewhere on the web sometime. I also have a few friends who are very good muscians (they're still at high school but are ready to play in professional orchestras/jazz groups already), and if I can get any of their stuff in digital format, I'll try to put it somewhere as well.

Who's your favourite guitarist? I love Neil Young, especially in Everybody Knows this is Nowhere; some of the solos in that album are amazing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 07:31:57 AM »
"I play guitar but usually by myself, so I hope to figure out how to record something sometime."

This was actually pretty easy to record.  We just used a microphone hooked up to a PC.  We recorded each track seperately starting with the drums and each of us counted 1-2-3-4 before we started our track to make it easier to match the tracks up.  After each track was recorded we would mix it in with the rest of the song.  When recording each part we made an MP3 of the mixed track and put it onto an MP3 player and the player listened to the rest of the song on headphones while playing.  We mixed the tracks using a trial copy of some sound recording program but realistically you could use the sound recorder that comes with windows.  It was much easier than I thought it would be.

"Who's your favourite guitarist?"

Jimmy Page though my playing style is probably more influenced by folk-rock stuff like Tom Petty.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 10:34:01 AM »
Ah, I like it.  It is catchy, though the keyboard sounds kinda eighties and that's mildly annoying (I'd suggest a different sound setting, assuming it's that type of keyboard).  It's a pretty good song, though, and I'll be adding it to my playlist.
My only real suggestion is in regards to the vocals.  Your voice is by no means bad, and I think you could make the song much better if you put more energy into it.  You sound as if you're bored or mumbling.  If you sped up the song slightly or maybe adding something to the beat (more complicated and interest intstrumentation) to make it seem faster and more intense, and put real effort into your vocals, it could be a lot more than good.
I like it, though.  Very cool.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 08:19:11 PM »
Cool track although as HC said the vocals could be more powerful...i could barely hear the lyrics but very catchy song nonetheless keep up the good work!!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 11:57:13 AM »
Not bad, Ian, not bad at all.
But for now I'm sticking with MC Chris.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 07:52:50 PM »
I think this could sound really good with the right production.  

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 06:57:24 PM »
Time to dig up a crusty old thread.  My band and I have recorded two new songs.  All of our songs are available here.

C'mon was written by our rhythm guitarist Adam.  I contribute very little to this song.  All I did was the guitar solo.

Decision's music was written by our keyboardist Robert while I wrote the lyrics.  I play the guitar for this song and sing the vocals.

So there you go.  Three songs representing the styles of our three songwriters.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 07:40:22 PM »
I'm just seeing this topic now, and I'm going to bed really soon, so I checked out one of the songs...The first one that caught my eye was "Decision" so into the download window it goes!  And I must say that it's actually very good...Kudos!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 04:36:37 AM »
I like C'mon. . . Decision I'm listening to now.  The melody is definitely good.
Your voice is a little better in Decision.  I suppose if you keep practicing and sing often enough, things will fall into place.  With some extra help, you could probably be really good.
One other comment is the part in C'mon, pretty early, when the guitar and (synth? keyboard?) do two tunes at the same time.  It could be good, but the band needs to practice it, because it sounds kind of sloppy now.
OVerall, though, I'm impressed.  Great music, another fine addition to my playlist.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 05:54:06 AM »
Uh-huh, yeah.

You should make a song called "Ian Sane."  Mm-hmm, lyrics should be:

He's a
(GUITAR)
CRAZZAH KINDA GUYYY
(Wild drum solo)
UH-huh chyaaaaaa
(crazy screaming)

Chorus:
CUZ HE'S
CRAZZAH WILLD
HE LIKES HIS TACO SAUCE MILD
Sane.  Ian Sane
(SUPER BASS SOLO ACCOMPANIED BY SCREAMS)

(BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THOSE SNARES)

(Chorus)

Uh-HUH YEAAAAhh
hes gotta COOOMPUUUUTER
and he GOEZ oN teh ENTERniiiit SUUUUPER
THATS
S-
U-
P-
E-
R AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
(DRUMS ARE DEAD NOW)

(Chorus)

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OOOOOOOOOHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAHhhh

(Chorus)

NUNUNUNUNunununu IAN SAAAAANE
outa hiz MAAAAAHND
IIIIAAAAN SSAAAAAANNNNE
YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

(Chorus)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH

(Chorus)

WWWWWWIIIIIILDDDDDDDDD
CRAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYY
TACOOOOOOOO SAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUCE

(REALLY LOUD CHORUS)

yeaaaaaaaah.

(finish wiht dramatic bass jam)
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 03:14:37 PM »
Now, there's a number one hit.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »
One of these songs was on my playlist (well, all of them, but I'm referring to one), and when it came on I was trying to figure out which band it was.  Took me a while to realize it was you, but that's a good thing, because it means your music was hard to distinguish from a lot of the other music I listen to, which is generally professional stuff.

Ah, and good song, kirby_killer_dedede.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 03:59:24 AM »
Uh-huh, yeah.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 07:20:24 PM »
My friends and I have recorded a new song.  It was written by me and is called Clutter.  I sing for it and play guitar.  It's a ballad and I'm really happy with how this one turned out.  You can download it from the link to all our songs in my previous post.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 01:07:22 PM »
All I have to bitch about is the vocals do need a bit of work.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
Now you're working on my song, right!?

Right?

...Right?

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline sniperp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 01:23:15 AM »

Offline sniperp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 01:26:05 AM »
hi listened to the song quite catchy and i liked it but i reckon just carry on as is don't listen to what anyone says
well this is my bands song if you're interested it has 1 videogame reference so it is relevant to this board
http://www.saintdragon.com/i%20get%20confused.mp3

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner but I don't have sound at work.

Wow.  Great song!  Very catchy, good singing, memorable chorus.  I liked the game reference as well and it's worked in a good rhyme.

It sounds very professional too, like you actually recorded in a studio and have a real drummer.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »
Crusty old thread revived!

I've recorded some new songs.  They can be found here.

The last two are the new ones.  Get Out (Of my Face) was written by me and my brother Eric who is our bass player.  An Ode to Government is an improvised joke song that we pretty much made up as we played.  I wrote the lyrics while Eric and Rob our keyboardist wrote the music.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
New songs!  

The first one is called Yield and was written by myself.  The funny thing is I wrote it in a dream.  Now I've had a couple songs in a dreams that sounded great at the time but I completely forgot them when I woke up.  In this case however my alarm went off just as the song was playing so it was fresh in my mind.  I went to my computer and very quietly (so I didn't wake everyone up) and very poorly (I was pretty tired) recorded the melody and then figured it out on my electric guitar unplugged.  It's got a really catchy pop beat but the keyboards are a little louder in the mix than I would like.  I guess that's what happens when your keyboardist is doing the mixing.

The second is called Quick Like a Bullet.  The music was written by our keyboardist Rob and the lyrics were written by me.  It's a very keyboard focused song and is heavily influenced by videogame music.

The link's on my previous post and the site has all of our recorded songs so far.