Author Topic: Six months in, thoughts on Switch?  (Read 18187 times)

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Six months in, thoughts on Switch?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
I still likethe Switch very much. Im also glad that it seems to be successful so far.
Only time will tell if it replaces the Wii U as my favourite console. It all depends on the games.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:37 PM »
Retail games:
Zelda- played about 130 hours. Loved it. Didn't do everything the game had to offer. Didn't get DLC. Might be my favorite game of all time, and I own hundreds of games, so that is quite a feat.
Binding of Isaac: Played this one over 100 hours. I love the challenge and the way that things are different every time I play it.
ARMS: hardly played it. Kind of regret getting it, but I'll have to play some more.

Digital:
Snake Pass: A fun collect-a-thon. Mastering the controls is really fun once you get over the hump. Found all the goodies. Very satisfying.
Snipperclips: played this one with the wife. Tons of fun but we wish it lasted longer.
Blaster Master Zero: Fun. Retro. Solid. Beat it once. The (timed free) DLC is neat.
Death Squared: beat the regular mode with the wife. We enjoyed it. It got pretty tough near the end. We still need to play the other mode.
Jackbox pack 3: fun with large groups, especially with creative funny people.

I like being able to play the Switch on the TV or take it with me easily on vacation. On a plane or in bed next to my wife.

I did have issues with one of my joy cons. I sent it out for repairs and it is better, but still isn't great. If anything is between my joy con and system, it'll briefly lose connection. I can't sit with my knees up. It's the case with both joy cons. I think the wireless just is weak. I did get a pro controller and that works fine.

I feel that there are plenty of games coming down the pipeline that I'm excited for. Mario Odyssey, Steam World Dig 2, Skyrim. Metroid Prime 4. There's honestly more games than I have time for as a responsible adult.

I hope that Nintendo improves the eShop and menus soon. I hope that virtual console is linked to Wii U and 3DS, even though that's unlikely. I hope that streaming services come out eventually. Even if none of these things are fixed, I'll still be pleased with the games.

Overall, I'm very happy.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
I'm a day oner and have been very pleased with the Switch so far.

Games:
1 - Zelda - 345 hrs (1 save file, all Koroks, missing one itsy bitsy portion of the map)
2 - Mario Kart - 20+ hrs
3 - Splatoon - 20+ hrs
4 - Arms - 5 hrs
5 - Puyo Tetris - 15+ hrs
6 - Cooking Indy - under 5 hrs
7 - Snake Pass - Under 5 hrs
8 - Sonic Mania - 20+ hrs
9 - Mario X Rabbids - 10+ hrs

All digital and boy I am having a great time! Since the thing released I have yet to feel like I have nothing to play. Zelda and Sonic have me coming back over and over to get something of a 100% out of them and I'm always jumping in and out of Mario Kart and Splatoon for multiplayer. I certainly enjoy Arms but then Sonic came out and completely stole my time away. Mario X Rabbids is something I did not want but now I love it!

I've had no problems with the dock scratching the screen or the machine itself warping. I also have 2 kids who love video games. A 5 year old and 2 year old. Not a single scratch going in and out of the dock by my daughter. My pro controller has been perfect as I don't have the d-pad issue.

I did buy a second set of neon joy cons and the left one is acting up. Plus I had no sound coming out of my tv several times and it just magically fixes itself after a day of just leaving it alone. Besides those things though my hardware has been great.

I'm very pleased with the release schedule, the form factor of the hardware as well as what its capable of. I give it 13 thumbs up!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
1 - Zelda - 345 hrs (1 save file, all Koroks, missing one itsy bitsy portion of the map)

I was wondering if you ever found out what part of the map you missed and got your 100% but I guess not yet.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
It would seem the key to having a successful system is to have it follow a failed system, then pull games from the failed platform to increase the year-one lineup, hee hee.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
Definitely helped the PS4.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
Hasn't seemed to help Microsoft. Hi-yoooooooooo!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:01 PM »
Seems like their problem is that the 360 wasn't a failed system.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
It did have a number of ports, but the PS3 wasn't a failed system.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Seems like their problem is that the 360 wasn't a failed system.

Oh right. All those red rings of death were just system failures.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »

Not on the same level of the Wii U, certainly, but it definitely failed to live up to Sony's expectations.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Not on the same level of the Wii U, certainly, but it definitely failed to live up to Sony's expectations.
True, but Sony had some hugely egotistical expectations for the system, hee hee. It did have a rough start that took years to fully recover from, but after all was said and done it still sold over 80 million units worldwide, which is about on par with the Xbox 360 and getting close to Wii. In the end it was a successful platform by any reasonable measure.

Then again, it does seem like Sony learned from their mistakes with the PS3 launch, so perhaps the early failings of the PS3 has indeed been a factor in the PS4 being successful from the outset, hee hee.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
PS3 is an example of a slow burn comeback. They might still be selling systems with hopes it will surpass the Wii.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
The PS3 has been discontinued in all territories. They're not going to pass the Wii, but I think they're content with passing the 360.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:14 AM »
True, but Sony had some hugely egotistical expectations for the system, hee hee. It did have a rough start that took years to fully recover from, but after all was said and done it still sold over 80 million units worldwide, which is about on par with the Xbox 360 and getting close to Wii. In the end it was a successful platform by any reasonable measure.

Half of those sales came from Harold Finch just to keep The Machine alive, though. I'm not sure that makes it a successful "gaming" platform.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
I've realized that the Switch poses a dilemma for me. My choice is that either I become totally spoiled on Super Mario Odyssey before playing it (which let's face it, everyone will be talking about so it'll be unavoidable unless I stay off the Internet), or I get a Switch next month and then go on to regret buying it too early.

You folks (sort of) know me well enough. Which one do you think is not as bad as the other?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
With the Switch selling as well as it is I don't think it's likely to drop in price for a while, and there's a lot of other good stuff on there apart from Mario. I don't know if you'd regret buying it then.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
I've realized that the Switch poses a dilemma for me. My choice is that either I become totally spoiled on Super Mario Odyssey before playing it (which let's face it, everyone will be talking about so it'll be unavoidable unless I stay off the Internet), or I get a Switch next month and then go on to regret buying it too early.

You folks (sort of) know me well enough. Which one do you think is not as bad as the other?

I would say the biggest regret for buying a system too early is if it gets a price drop shortly afterwards and you don't feel that it was worth the extra money for you to have bought the system when you did.  That tends to happen to struggling systems or really successful systems after sales start leveling off and the manufacturer is trying to win over fence sitters.  With the Switch still routinely selling out I don't think a price cut is happening any time soon.  So I think you're safe with a purchase now.

Though with handhelds Nintendo tends to release superior models as time goes on making it annoying to be an early adopter stuck with an inferior design.  Now I don't know if the handheld "rules" apply to the Switch.  It's also only six months old so IF Nintendo has a new design it isn't coming out until late 2019 at the earliest.  At that point I figure you'll have gotten your money's worth out of the Switch.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »
If I had the spare scratch this year I'd absolutely buy a Switch. Forgoing Zelda was bad enough, but missing out on Odyssey is going to fucking kill me. This'll probably be the longest I've gone without a Nintendo home console after release since the SNES. The only upshot is that whenever I'm finally able to pick one up I'll have continuous months of content, which, actually could be problematic in itself . . .

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 11:28:06 PM »
Lets just put it this way.  The last time Nintendo had a system that was a hit at launch and was still supply constrained over 6 months after launch was the Wii.  The Wii didn't see its first price cut until 3 years after it launched.  Considering the Switch isn't even close to reaching the point where Nintendo can match demand yet, a price cut is the last thing anyone should worry about.

Actually I'm tempted to buy a Switch at least a week before Mario Odyssey because I worry that once Mario Odyssey comes out it'll be even harder to find the system then it already is.  We all saw how huge Zelda was at launch, the way things are looking with Mario I wouldn't be surprised if it's even bigger.  Mario has always been a bigger series in the first place but the combination of everything Odyssey seems to be doing and pulling off so beautifully I could see it being a much bigger event and becoming like a second launch, which I'm not sure Nintendo will have anywhere near enough Switch's ready for it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
Like Luigi Dude mentions, I personally don't expect a price drop anytime soon as Nintendo clearly has no reason to do so. I have been hoping for a bundle type situation (or possible new color) and the upcoming Mario bundle is pretty tempting but I'm still going to wait. The pull of Mario is strong but I've still got a lot to play on my Wii U (especially with Miiverse soon to end) and my 3DS plus I'm probably going to sink a lot of time replaying some games on the SNES Classic (along with a couple I've never played before like FF6 and Secret of Mana). Knowing this, I can wait out the initial hype. I don't really think it expect to be spoiled to much on the game and feel I can I avoid a lot of spoilery type news. Plus, I think there's a good chance I can forget things that might get spoiled by the time I finally do get around to playing it.

I know you regretted getting the 3DS early and Nintendo didn't really do a lot to help allieviate buyer's remorse at the time but I think the Switch is at a better state now than the whole first year of the 3DS was even if you got BotW for Wii U and don't want to repurchase Mario Kart 8. If I had a Switch, I'd be looking for Odyssey, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Rime and, yes, even Yooka-Layle still, for the system. That's a lot to keep me busy and the Yoshi and Kirby games on the way are my cup of tea also. And Bomberman also. And Fire Emblem Warriors. Well, the point is, the software list and appeal is growing more and more for me. But, you should know what appeals to you for software and how much mileage you may get based on your play style so use that to judge if it is worth jumping in now. Even though Nintendo is taking their time still in announcing certain features or improving the interface to what others would like, I see a lot of positives with the current state anyways and I do think it is going to get better since Nintendo seems more determined to succeed with the Switch than in past consoles they've released.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
With the Switch selling as well as it is I don't think it's likely to drop in price for a while, and there's a lot of other good stuff on there apart from Mario. I don't know if you'd regret buying it then.
I'm getting it for 25% off by abusing employee discounts though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 12:44:21 AM »
I was in a Target today and I saw three Switches in the cabinet. One color and two gray. It looks like the gravy train is over boys! back to NintenDoomed!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
I was in a Target today and I saw three Switches in the cabinet. One color and two gray. It looks like the gravy train is over boys! back to NintenDoomed!

Yep, there's about 4-5 at my Target, 2-3 at my Wal-Mart, including a Splatoon bundle.  I suspect at this point in the year' they're looking to stock up for Christmas shoppers. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
While the Switch may be unlikely to receive a price drop (even the Wii U barely dropped in price despite its sales), what could happen is a good bundle deal releasing. The Wii U had several nice bundles that I could have gotten if I waited a bit. That said, the Switch already has two official game bundles, and both of them have actually increased the price of the Switch. So I s'pose it looks unlikely that an actual bundle deal will be coming out any time soon.

Then again, I s'pose I should be thankful I don't have to pay the Canadian prices. Wowee.

Though with handhelds Nintendo tends to release superior models as time goes on making it annoying to be an early adopter stuck with an inferior design.  Now I don't know if the handheld "rules" apply to the Switch.  It's also only six months old so IF Nintendo has a new design it isn't coming out until late 2019 at the earliest.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. If the Switch follows the 3DS, it could have a revision announced as early as mid-2018, especially because there are a lot of little things about the Switch design which could be improved by a revision. However, thinking back to the 3DS, I was able to sell my original 3DS for close to the price I paid for my XL. If the Switch remains popular, then I could probably sell my old Switch for close to the price of any hypothetical new model, especially if I sell it around the holidays. So that, too, may not be as much of a worry as I first thought.

I'm sure I'll still regret getting it too early, but it shouldn't be too strong of a feeling. I also still have plenty of Wii U and 3DS games to play during inevitable Switch game droughts. I don't really like the current colour choices, though. Grey is boring, but neon is too garish from the mismatch, and I don't like the neon red. I wonder if they will release some other colours of grips, to go with the coloured Joy-Cons.