Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217421 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #725 on: December 13, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
Q1 2010? I seriously want that game.

But for the sake of trolling the media, how many points will it lose off it's score? 0.5? 1.0? 1.5? Take your guesses people!

1.5 for being too easy thanks too wii's IR pointer controls aka "dumbed down for grandmas"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #726 on: December 15, 2009, 12:17:30 AM »
God IGN is trolling the internet for hits with their latest podcast.

Here is a summary of what was said.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:34:58 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:26 AM »
"-Achievements are an innovation as big as motion controls. Achievements are a better innovation than motion controls."

Are IGN editors autistic? How do they even function?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 15, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »
God IGN is trolling the internet for hits with their latest podcast.

Here is a summary of what was said.

I think that about wraps up everything that needs to be said about that podcast.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:42 AM »
WOW...

It's as if in an attempt to prove that the hardcore industry isn't in a decline, they're killing off the Wii channel.  "Nobody actually cares about Wii, that's why nobody visits our Wii site!"

I'm glad I'm never going to have to question the validity of their reviews now that they've revealed their true pretext.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #730 on: December 15, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
So yeah this is about the most elitist thing that I have heard from IGN. I think we shouldn't link to them anymore.

First of all on Achievements. Achievements are not new.There was a thing called making your own challenges and High Scores.
Ever try and beat Zelda on the NES with the Wooden Sword? How about beating a Megaman game without dieing?
Try playing Pacman or Donkey Kong until you can't anymore.

They are just trolling Super Mario Bros. 5 because a 2-D platformer is preforming better than they thought it would. 

I mean it seems like they just browsed through the internet and wrote down any disparaging comments down and decided to put them in the podcast.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:05:06 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 15, 2009, 01:04:17 AM »
"-Achievements are an innovation as big as motion controls. Achievements are a better innovation than motion controls."

Are IGN editors autistic? How do they even function?

Ok, here's the thing: I know that sounds ridiculous, and taken at face value I'd certainly agree.  From my standpoint, I can say that achievement systems have helped me get the most out of my games, prodding me to do things I would ordinarily avoid.  When there's so much product out there, to keep me playing old games is quite an accomplishment.  With motion control, though, I've yet to see a game that completely nails it with no hiccups or wierd constraints put on the player (like Wii Motion + games forcing the player to recalibrate the gyroscope every once in a while).  That's a technical problem that will eventually be overcome, but until it does that breaks the immersion for me.  So I can kind of see where they're coming from.  Downloading the podcast now, though, so I can listen for myself.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
Or you know, the game could be actually 'fun' to play, not needing to dangle a carrot in front of you.  Frankly, that's what's lazy in gaming these days.

But that's another argument altogether.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »
I just read through all that and for once I am seriously pissed off. Things like this usualy never get to me, but this tears it. If I ever got big and famous I'd be one of the few stars that are pro nintendo and would point out the flaws in todays gaming media. I always enjoyed IGN until right now.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:44 AM »
Or you know, the game could be actually 'fun' to play, not needing to dangle a carrot in front of you.  Frankly, that's what's lazy in gaming these days.

But that's another argument altogether.

Well, the game being "fun" is all well and good (and required), but I'm talking about things like beating the game on the hardest difficulty mode or finding all the hidden crap in a particular game (Assassin's Creed 2 comes to mind).  Ordinarily, I consider myself retired from that sort of nonsense, having "served my time" with that in countless games for years.  But hey, if there's a trophy for it someday I might come back and give it a shot.  Hell, the stuff I had to do for trophies in Bioshock just made me love that game even more for its wonderful level design.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 15, 2009, 01:26:13 AM »
I love when I'm playing a 360 game and the frame rate has a slight heart attack to inform me that I've unlocked an achievement. "100 for using your shotgun" "500 for pressing start". It gives me such an erection.

Nintendo doesn't praise me every step of the way, there's no use playing their games. I can't wait 'til they go third party. Yes indeed, 1999 will be a good year.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 15, 2009, 01:27:28 AM »
I remember when doing cool things in a game used to unlock cool stuff like alternate costumes, extra levels, secret weapons, and extra characters.  Now all that stuff is for sale as Cash Money DLC and we've replaced the rewards for being a good gamer with boy scout badges.  Am I to believe that receiving a digital gold star is as big an innovation, if not bigger than motion controls, especially when it's at the expense of unlockables that have been relegated to the marketplace? (gag)

Hell Smash Bros. Melee had trophies and stuff unlock when you walked 40,000 feet or something.  This isn't new, at all.  The only thing new is linking it to your facebook or something.

But I digress.  IGN Trolling Wii owners?  What else is new?  Also weird profit-hate.  It's like they can't stand that Nintendo's profitable and not slashing their own wrists for... some reason.  Maybe they could go into the red for Wii owners a bit and stand up for more quality games from third parties, thus risking their lucrative third party review incentives.  I wonder what their response would be if somebody asked them.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:22 AM »
Man, I've been out of the loop on all the latest memes and industry rages and rants these past 6 months or so, but the past couple pages really make me NOT want to re-visit the violently hostile realms of the internet that I used to tap into.

Why is... the internet rantboy community just so inhospitable to Nintendo fans?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 15, 2009, 01:38:04 AM »
Man, I've been out of the loop on all the latest memes and industry rages and rants these past 6 months or so, but the past couple pages really make me NOT want to re-visit the violently hostile realms of the internet that I used to tap into.

It really is strange isn't it? There must be some amazing drug like qualities that come from hating on Nintendo. Now I don't think Nintendo is perfect, but some of these complaints on Nintendo are just absolutely insane. You know I bet allot of these people hate Nintendo to the point that its literaly costing them energy. Getting worked up in angry posts, pod casts that rant like crazy, and always trying to justify why Nintendo stinks even though they are selling a jillion times more than anyone else.

It aint healthy and I know, I remember back in my high school and junior high days! I could get so worked up in an argument that they could literaly stress me out. And just knowing how fanboys n' girls can be, I know just seeing Nintendo outsell everything almost every month is physically taxing on the PS360 guys. And you know what thats probably it right there, and they need some kind of release.

Oh how I would love if Nintendo just completely didn't do their Nintendo Minutes any more with them, and stoped sending review copies and just gave them no attention what so ever anymore.

What would Reggie to say to that podcast?

He should go "they don't like it? Fine no more exclusive material. Lets take it to NWR".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:47:34 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 15, 2009, 01:43:14 AM »
broodwars: How do achievements bring gaming closer to Virtual Reality?

As a co-winner of the first RetroMachoActive competition, I am not averse to achievement. I know what it's like to run through Rickety Race, hoping not to fall off the track to my doom, hoping not to get blown into the fatal brambles of Animal Antics, and hoping to find all DK coins in the fastest time possible--just for a Bobomb Badge.

But the adventure has to stand on its own two feet.

"What would Reggie to say to that podcast?"

I shudder to think!
The blood and the gore
the fanboys' sad names
drop-kicked out the door.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »
broodwars: How do achievements bring gaming closer to Virtual Reality?

What does an achievement system have to do with the pointless waste of time, money, and technology that is the failed experiment of Virtual Reality?  For that matter, it's all a different issue from DLC so I don't see why anyone would bring that up.

Just an aside, I'm listening to the podcast right now and they very clearly state that they believe that achievement/trophies are the second most important gaming innovation this generation next to motion control.  So whoever did that summary got that wrong.  I will say this, though, to disagree with them: getting more people to play crappy games is not a reasonable reason to implement an achievement system.  Encouraging competition and personal fulfillment in gaming are the only suitable reasons.

What I don't understand with Nintendo on this is simply "why not?"  An achievement system costs very little to maintain once created and implemented, is relatively easy to program, and it only adds value to your products.  Hell, Nintendo could even do something as simple as tie it into Club Nintendo for first party titles: do X in a game, get 5 coins added to your Club Nintendo account (obviously, these things would need to be few in number and significant).  It adds value to game, encourages people to hold onto your games and not trade them in, and it encourages people to buy games sooner.  Everyone goes home happy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:56:04 AM by broodwars »

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 15, 2009, 02:04:09 AM »
An achievement system costs very little to maintain once created and implemented, is relatively easy to program, and it only adds value to your products

They do have achievement systems, like SSBB and SSBM and Wii Sports Resort.  I'm already ON the internet.  I can upload a video to youtube if I feel like showing off, or take a picture.   And what is your evidence that they would "cost little to maintain?"

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 15, 2009, 02:09:19 AM »
VR is not a failed experiment, it takes baby steps to push technology forward and achievements do absolutely nothing helpful toward this end.

Metroid Prime 3 / Metroid Prime trilogy has them.

Are they happy? No.

Is anyone?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »
An achievement system costs very little to maintain once created and implemented, is relatively easy to program, and it only adds value to your products

They do have achievement systems, like SSBB and SSBM and Wii Sports Resort.  I'm already ON the internet.  I can upload a video to youtube if I feel like showing off, or take a picture.   And what is your evidence that they would "cost little to maintain?"

Because I've had some experience in the gaming industry as a tester, and I can tell you that achievements are very binary: "Did the player do this?  "Yes/No."  "Was this achievement supposed to unlock?" "Yes/No."  Most of the cost in achievements is in maintaining a database to house the collected achievement scores, and in testing the achievements themselves.  Considering Nintendo already has a persistent database that tracks what you've purchased on the Wii, that's just one more piece of information to add to the database.  It's not that hard unless Nintendo would want to expand upon it like Sony and Microsoft did with websites and systems that display that information in various ways and break it down.  It all comes down to what Nintendo does with it.

EDIT: As for Metroid Prime 3 and the Trilogy's Achievement systems, those were just fine.  I just wish that since they were used to unlock things that they actually unlocked things worth earning like Behind the Scenes videos and whatnot.  I was also quite fine with the system in Smash Bros. Brawl, which did unlock things worth earning.  If all games worked like those did, I don't think you'd see many complaints.  But only a few do.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:15:50 AM by broodwars »

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 15, 2009, 02:26:49 AM »
Well then I'm sure Nintendo will just stick with what works in SSBB (and SSBM, mind you) and MP3 as well, mostly on a game by game basis.  No need to create a large database just to house such data.

And I consider achievements and the movement of secret content from behind the "achievement," per se, and to the marketplace linked, as one went up with the other.  They aren't isolated instances.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:40 AM »
I don't think that achievements themselves are such a change, just the fact that the industry has in a large way found a way to mechanize, leverage, and mass produce the challenges that Nintendo Power used to print on the back of their collectible game cards in the mid 90's.

I'm personally not that motivated by achievements, but then again I was never motivated by "high scores" either. However, they are a straightforward/convenient way to add another reward system to games. *shrug*

actually... Kirby's Air Ride had sort-of-achievements in a way... that was pretty awesome. I loved playing city mode with my brother in that game.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 15, 2009, 03:36:22 AM »
Am I the only one that laughed at this??
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 15, 2009, 03:58:03 AM »
Quote from: Caterkiller
It really is strange isn't it? There must be some amazing drug like qualities that come from hating on Nintendo.

Nintendope, it's more potent than Hopium.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 15, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »
Am I the only one that laughed at this??

I'm laughing that IGN thinks it can expand it's readership by throwing the majority of gamers under the bus and calling them "brainwashed."

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

I am amazed when I visit other forums.  Not just about the hate but about what they hate.  The parts they despise are some of the parts I like the best.  It blows my mind.

When I think achievements I think about Beedle's shop in Zelda.  I buy so much **** from him because of his special cards and then my reward is him screaming "You're great!"  I never wanted to kill a game character so much.