Author Topic: No Sound Coming From TV When Switch Is Docked  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
No Sound Coming From TV When Switch Is Docked
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
So Thursday I turn on my Switch to play Sonic Mania and there was no sound coming from the TV. I turn the machine off and on again and just like that it was fixed.

Friday my daughter plays Zelda for a few hours and everything was fine. Saturday I turn on the Switch and no sound again. When I remove it from the dock the sound is working just fine. My TV isn't muted as I can watch and hear the tv just fine and when I press menu I can hear it's sounds over the Switch's visuals. I've tried different HDMI ports, plugging in head phones and I can hear the music through the head phones while the Switch is docked but when I unplug them nothing. My Switch cables seem to be just fine and other devices give sound out of the tv through the same HDMI ports.

Support.Nintendo doesn't have any answers and when I called them up it sounded like a new issue to the customer service guy. I've seen this issue on Reddit, Gamefaqs and Youtube and no one seems to have an answer. One guy on Reddit just had his magically start working again much like me when it first happened 2 days ago but now it's persistent and won't fix itself. Nintendo asked me to send in the Switch itself and the dock and ugh I just don't feel like it right now. Anyone else deal with this bull ship? Oh I hope it's just some glitch that can be patched out.

- -

Sunday I turn on the machine and throughout the whole day the sound works just fine.

Today I turn it on this morning and no sound. I turn off the machine, turn it back on and its fine.

I just don't know!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:37:00 AM by Wino »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: No Sound Coming From TV When Switch Is Docked
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
Any chance the HDMI cable is just kinda snooty about when it decides to work? Can you try with one from a different device?

Unhelpful tip most likely, since it apparantly does work ~sometimes~ and with HDMI you would kinda expect it to either work completely or not at all. Getting image but no sound seems unusual for a combined signal... That said, the HDMI cable that came with my Wii U is kinda uppity about working with my laptop, and requires some feathering, so maybe Ninty just ships crap cables?

Hope it auto-fixes for you permanently. Idk how saves are handled on Switch, so maybe finish Mania and Zelda first before sending it in... Ugh.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: No Sound Coming From TV When Switch Is Docked
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »
Just going to say that the very next day after I posted this it was just fine and has been since.

If it happens to anyone else I guess just wait a while for it to fix itself.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn