Author Topic: Cave Story 3D Announced  (Read 3454 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Cave Story 3D Announced
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

NIS America will be publishing the Pixel and Nicalis-developed 3DS game. UPDATED with video.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25316

Cave Story, the critically-acclaimed indie title, will be coming to Nintendo 3DS, NIS America announced at a press event today. Cave Story, a Metroidvania-style game, was originally developed in 2004 by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya as freeware for the PC and received a large cult following. Nicalis remade and published the game on WiiWare and DSiWare last year.

The game, though based on the original sprite-based version, uses fully rendered 3D models, including stereoscopic effects. Beautifully painted concept art versions of the original levels have been converted into 2.5D, and linear corridors are mapped onto curves.

NISA hinted at the game earlier in the week in a picture of their mascot Prinny (a penguin-like race from their Disgaea series of games) sporting signature garb and the Polar Star gun from Cave Story's main character, Quote.

Cave Story 3D is expected to release this summer. Check the gallery for concept art.

We had a chance to chat with Daisuke Amaya and Nicalis at the event, so stay tuned for more information, as well as an interview!

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Re: Cave Story 3D Announced
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
I've realized that Cave Story is a game that I'm going to replay for a long time. I have it for the Wii and DSi and I like them both. It would be cool if they allowed for data to be shared between the systems. I'm happy to play any version. The concept art looks great, I'm excited for this!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:32 PM »
Looks like they're really trying to squeeze every penny out of this game that they can.

a Metroidvania-style game,
Metroidvania is not a style of game, it is a Castlevania game with exploratory elements similar to a Metroid game.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
Metroidvania implies a combination of elements from both series, including the light RPG mechanics of Igarashi's Castlevania games. So, it fits Cave Story quite well.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
I was going to buy the DSiWare version; I'm glad I waited.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »
Metroidvania implies a combination of elements from both series, including the light RPG mechanics of Igarashi's Castlevania games. So, it fits Cave Story quite well.
I've never heard it used in such a way outside of this site. If that's what it's trying to get across, there are more specific words that would do a better, less confusing job.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
The simple fact that www.metroidvania.com is owned by Jeremy Parish should lend credence to its validity.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Maybe I'm crazy, but Metroidvania conveys a very distinct style of game that I also happen to love.

How else would you describe the genre and have it be easier to say/write than Metroidvania?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
Just because some people use it doesn't make it an actual name for a subgenre, just like how “party” is not a genre. At the least, as with any comparison, it's always a good idea to pair it with the real genre name/description (example: side-scrolling exploration with light RPG elements, like Metriodvania). But that's just my view, of course.

How else would you describe the genre and have it be easier to say/write than Metroidvania?
Writing isn't about being easy, it is about being clear. That's part of why I don't like abbreviations in most cases, but I'm probably the only one.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Writing isn't about being easy, it is about being clear.

I think everyone knew exactly what he meant (including you).  Can't get much clearer than that!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
Metroid and Castlevania both have a lot of different elements, so if I hadn't already played Cave Story, I wouldn't know which ones it contains. I actually think it's very much like Metroid and practically nothing like Castlevania.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
Enough of this. Back to Cave Story 3D. I just added a video of the reveal, including a teaser trailer and some 3D level modeling.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
This is proably not the right thread to discuss this, and I don't want to be nit picky but I'm going to have to agree with Mop It Up here.  I know it sounds absurd but some people may not have played either of those games so metroidvania doesn't really mean much.

I for instance I tried, but could never get into either of those games (perhaps too moody for my taste).  While in theory I would like the game play, tainting it with metroid or castlevainia would kind of turn me off to it, so perhaps being more descriptive on what the game is about could help, but this is not a review column so I guess I should even worry about it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:58:44 AM by apdude »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
There's a WiiWare demo. Go play it. We also have reviews of both the WiiWare and DSiWare versions.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TGM

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
As an ardent worshipper of the side-scrolling action/adventure sub-genre (known in some informal circles as "Metroidvania", since Metroid and Castlevania pioneered that gameplay style), I boldly proclaim "DO WANT!"
The cake has been a lie ever since Super Mario 64.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:44 AM »
As a Metroidvania fan I'm saying WANT. Metroidvania is a level design philosophy, RPG elements and such are inconsequential to it.