Author Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns 3DS  (Read 20549 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid: Samus Returns 3DS
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »
Oh give me a break.  Your the one that started it this disrespectful remark toward me.

Your the one that then decided to be disrespectful and condescending to me by saying my remarks were just Nintendo apologism.  If you're going to act that way then don't be surprised if I call you out for this kind toxic behavior.
I called your statement “asinine” (which is not an indictment on you as a person) then spent two paragraphs explaining myself without resorting to logical fallacies. Claiming I have “a toxic attitude” (a personal insult of my character) and rhetorically asking if I “lose my ****” (ultimately implying that I do) despite me praising Samus Returns multiple times in this thread alone, including the post you’re taking issue with, doesn’t constitute as “calling me out.” You just threw out a couple accusations about the kind of person I am, and I’m not going to stand for that.

Starting a post with “Oh, give me a break” which you have done twice now in this thread when addressing me is inherently aggressive and condescending due to your tone and the implication that this is all because I’m simply giving you a hard time. I disagreed with a statement you made and have made in the past regarding other games, but I tried to explain why I disagree. I apologize if you were offended that I called your statement “asinine.” However, I will not apologize for saying it’s apologism as I think that’s a fair assessment. I don’t believe it’s reasonable to expect players to make self-imposed restrictions because the developers made a questionable design choice. You are welcome to disagree.

Ultimately, if you really don’t think your tone around these forums is problematic at times, then I don’t know what else to say to you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:13:21 PM by Adrock »

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Alright, you two. Let's end this whole "you wronged me first" stuff. I've got no problems with the points you are making about the game, its design choices or what this might entail for the future of the series but I don't want to hear anymore about how one is personally attacking the other. Keep any comments about the other person out of any further future replies.

Yeah, maybe Adrock could have worded his first post better about "cringing" and "Nintendo apologism" better but the whole context of that post shows it wasn't a personal attack but just his thoughts on such a reaction in general and why he disagreed with it. However, Luigi Dude's response that Adrock's comment is the "toxic attitude" that creates "negative sterotypes" of gamers is, of course, going to inflame the situation and create a toxic attitude of its own for any reading this thread and in Adrock himself even if the other points listed afterwards are kind of valid. You both want to blame the other for starting this little spat but I don't care who started it. You're both responsible for continuing it and that's the real problem to me. I'm not going to issue warnings to either of you because (does it really need to come to that?) I think both of you do want to move on and end this but just can't let the other person have the final word so I'll have final say for both you with this post. Get back to the game. We're not here for some petty drama.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:08:58 PM by Link Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 01:09:56 AM »
Ah. I didn't mean to start it up again. I was just hoping to continue to be a compassionate user with my "animosity" concern.  :-\  Back to hugs and games!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
Lol, Phil. You're the last person at fault.

Anyway, back to the topic.  So, I've been playing the game in kind of a weird way.  I typically will pick up the game play for maybe 30-40 minutes MAX, and then not come back to it for at least a day or two.  So, when I clear an area and haven't moved on, I think to myself "Was I stuck here?" because usually when I get stuck is when I look up and realize I need to be doing something else.  So my first reaction is to back track, then I go looking to see what I now can and cannot get to on the map.  This is actually a pretty satisfying way to have shorter play sessions.  But it also validates the teleporters for me.  Though now, I've to just label things on the map, so I can get a feel for which power-ups will open which spots.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
Quote from: Phil's Review
This goes back to finding item upgrades because there will be a seemingly endless number of times where you'll see an upgrade marked on the map or in plain sight and not have the proper ability to nab it. You might readily have the knowledge required to get it, even knowing what ability you need, but the point still remains that you cannot acquire it yet. ... This issue is made greater by the fact that you can't even collect all of the upgrades in the game before acquiring one final, severely late-game "ability" within Samus Returns. Hence, the game makes it so it actively discourages backtracking until you get to that notable end-game point. Otherwise you're merely wasting your time,

This paragraph of Phil's review is one of my biggest complaints against the game. There was a point around Area 4 where I thought I should try going back to earlier areas to start collecting power-ups and find rooms I hadn't looked for at first to try and finish them off only to discover there were still a couple items that I couldn't reach yet in Area 1. So, then I just went back to the adventure and focused on getting all my abilities. Thus, I didn't bother to backtrack until I beat the Metroid Queen. It was at that point that I knew I had everything to get by every obstacle. According to my save file, I was at 52 or 53% at this point. Then I went through all the areas and collected everything I had missed and then played and beat the final boss. I'm not sure I even needed the upgrades in order to beat the final boss although I'm sure the extra Aeon tanks which definitely helped. It made backtracking feel like a pointless and padded experience whereas other games it feels like solving part of a puzzle and more rewarding.

All in all, I beat the game a couple weeks ago but unlike many past Metroid games, I haven't replayed it yet to try and bring my time down. I just don't see or feel the need to do so. I'm not sure if there's really anything else to unlock or see besides a different Samus picture in the results screen so that doesn't provide much impetus either. To me, that's a big sign that this game is a weaker Metroid title. I'll probably do it at some point but I'd rather go back to some other Metroid titles instead.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
With that in mind, I guess Samus Returns is a reimagining, but I think it’s still fair to call it a remake or expanded remake if you want to get more specific. Personally, I wouldn’t get caught up in the semantics. I think Samus Returns is meant to replace Return of Samus as the definitive Metroid II. It messes with the series lore and overall narrative.
I'm not trying to get into a battle of semantics, and your definitions sound about how I feel. The reason I ask is because it sounds like the game is a lot more expanded than I first thought, so if the game is more of a reimagining, that sounds better to me than if it's more of a remake.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
Reimagining/replacement/remake would all pretty much apply. The game keeps the core concept of hunting Metroids in their various forms through a loop of SR388 underground (enter one side and exit the other) but there's been a lot added, changed and recreated to make this pretty much a new game and its the only way I'd want to play Metroid II. I looked up a short little video which gives you an idea of how different the two games compare to one another. There's no real spoilers in it and it really shows how there might be a bit of deja vu here and there when playing it if you really remember your GB Metroid but my take from the video is that it would feel and play like a different game for both.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »
Finally beat the game.  Overall, I really liked it.

The linearity only really bothered me with collecting power-ups.  Especially since you can't get all of them in most of the areas until you get the to the very end of the game.  I found that to be obnoxious.  The teleporters helped, as did the % on each map screen.

The final bosses felt pretty challenging.  Both taking me a few tries to beat.  I thought a few of the bosses had some cheap moves but it really just took me a minute to finally figure out how to dodge some of them properly.  One boss, the giant robot, felt particularly annoying because you have to climb its arms with the spiderball.  I had to look up a guide to confirm that's what you're supposed to do because every time I got near it, I took damage.

One other thing, there's one trick with the powerbombs and the spiderball that you have to do to get some of the powerups.  That irritated me because I could not figure that out for the life of me.  You can't jump with the powerbombs unless you're using the spiderball, which is explained nowhere.

Other than those gripes, it felt like Metroid, it played like Metroid, and I had fun with it.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
The final bosses felt pretty challenging.  Both taking me a few tries to beat.  I thought a few of the bosses had some cheap moves but it really just took me a minute to finally figure out how to dodge some of them properly.  One boss, the giant robot, felt particularly annoying because you have to climb its arms with the spiderball.  I had to look up a guide to confirm that's what you're supposed to do because every time I got near it, I took damage.

I had trouble with this boss also although my issue was after the first two stages, I couldn't figure out how to hurt it in the third stage. I thought the vacuum by its mouth might be a key so I shot some missiles into it and normal cannon beams and so no result with it so I never bothered to try it with morph ball bombs since the missiles had no effect so why would the bombs? Finally had to look up a guide to find out that it was only morph ball bombs that could be sucked in to damage it.

One other thing, there's one trick with the powerbombs and the spiderball that you have to do to get some of the powerups.  That irritated me because I could not figure that out for the life of me.  You can't jump with the powerbombs unless you're using the spiderball, which is explained nowhere.

Same. I was stumped by that as well and finally had to resort to a guide also to see what I was missing. It just never occurred to me to try that since power bombs never seem to send Samus rocketing off before. I think it is a new feature for this game but some kind of clue about it would have been nice since it breaks Metroid tradition a bit.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »

I had trouble with this boss also although my issue was after the first two stages, I couldn't figure out how to hurt it in the third stage. I thought the vacuum by its mouth might be a key so I shot some missiles into it and normal cannon beams and so no result with it so I never bothered to try it with morph ball bombs since the missiles had no effect so why would the bombs? Finally had to look up a guide to find out that it was only morph ball bombs that could be sucked in to damage it.

I think once I knew I could avoid damage by using the spider ball, I just dropped bombs just because.  I also tried firing missiles into the suction.

Same. I was stumped by that as well and finally had to resort to a guide also to see what I was missing. It just never occurred to me to try that since power bombs never seem to send Samus rocketing off before. I think it is a new feature for this game but some kind of clue about it would have been nice since it breaks Metroid tradition a bit.

Yeah, I even tried jumping with a powerbomb (without the spider ball) after I got them, just to see if it did anything.  When it didn't work (because why would I even think to use the spider ball?), it never registered in my head as an option again.  I too looked in a guide and was kinda pissed that was the answer.  It's completely counter intuitive, especially when in boss fights you use the spider ball to not move/be moved.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »

I think once I knew I could avoid damage by using the spider ball, I just dropped bombs just because.  I also tried firing missiles into the suction.

I always just crawled up a wall to avoid the suction. I didn't think using the spiderball on the ground would keep me from being pulled in by it. Once I saw that in the guide, it was a little frustrating to find out what I thought was a smart action of avoiding an attack was actually the wrong action completely.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »
I've been graciously lent someone's 3DS for a couple of months just to play this (in return I've installed a few games on it for them as thanks). Largely in agreement with Khush's post from September 25th; I've not yet encountered any giant bosses, and I do miss touches like named areas.

It's also a little strange that SR-388 has so many elements of Chozo civilisation on it, maybe that'll come to a head later but it's not how I pictured the Metroids homeplanet. So far it kinda feels like playing this on auto-pilot, although I should say that I've replayed Super, Zero Mission AND Fusion this year so that might be why.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with it so far (just reached Area 3), especially the almost text-free presentation, the free aiming and the 3D visuals. It's my first real exposure to the 3DS hardware, and while I definitely knew it was capable of gorgeous stuff like Kid Icarus Uprising, it's super impressive to see for myself. I largely skipped the DS generation too, so going from Pokémon Platinum and NanoStray to this feels like a giant leap forward.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
All right almost a month later and I've now finished Samus Returns. 98.7% completion which I was pretty proud of, took me around 18 hours according to the game, but the 3DS activity log has it closer to 25 hours. So not sure if it doesn't measure deaths, or if I just spent a lot of time gawking at the pause screen/map.

Either way, the game definitely grew on me, Samus gets really nimble and especially when you have the screw attack going it's pretty fun to blaze through areas. I still miss the sparkshine ability, though I can see how all the verticality in this Metroid game would render it fairly moot. Spiderball makes up for it, but I was kinda hoping it'd get a speedboost at some point.
The power bomb took a long time for me btw, which is a real shame because there's a fun trick you can do with it: spiderball onto a surface and then launch yourself with the power bomb to rocket across the room.

Gripes: storywise this one is just ever so slightly too light I feel. Who/what is the Diggernaut? Is it old chozo tech? Why's it hate us? I also felt like Ridley kind of came out of nowhere, and especially if this is someone's first Metroid game it'll feel like a baffling inclusion. He was also real fucking difficult, and I was almost entirely kitted out too.
Another thing about difficulty: Diggernaut and Ridley were both way harder than the Metroid Queen right? Felt a bit oddly balanced to have the main story enemy be the weakest of the three.

Also feel like it doesn't quite deliver on the quintessential Metroid finale, where you're one-shotting every idiot who dares cross your path. Even fully decked out, the latter enemies still take upwards of 3 or 4 plasma spazers to the face. It's so fun to use Hyper Beam in Super Metroid and Zero Mission. In this one enemies are always kind of in your way, and some of them even take multiple screw attacks.

But all that said, this was a fine game, and while it doesn't eclipse the giants on which shoulders it stands, I still had a very good time playing Metroid Massacre. Last question about the post-credits stinger: was that meant to be the X-parasite from Fusion? I really hope they don't go for another round of remakes after this. Let's do Samus vs. the Federation already, c'mon! Fusion clearly wasn't the end of the franchise story.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Last question about the post-credits stinger: was that meant to be the X-parasite from Fusion? I really hope they don't go for another round of remakes after this. Let's do Samus vs. the Federation already, c'mon! Fusion clearly wasn't the end of the franchise story.

Actually if you get 100% item completion you'll get an extra picture in the Chozo Memory gallery which hints pretty clearly where they plan on taking the series in the future.

Anyone reading this that hasn't gotten 100% but still wants to know, here it is.

MAJOR SPOILERS

There's a race of evil Chozo that are still alive and murdered the peaceful ones.  So the Chozo are probably going to be the new main villains of the series in a potential post Fusion Metroid.  Since the 2D Metroid games have followed the Alien series, Sakamoto must have found inspiration from the recent ones again with Prometheus and Covenant, and wants the creators of the Metroids to be the villains in a potential Metroid 5.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »
Thanks Luigi Dude, it's kind of annoying they hid that behind a 100% completion requirement. Especially because I got super close to that haha. Sounds....... interesting? Maybe?

My blood still immediately boils when I think of the Chozo Ghost battle theme from Prime 1