Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)  (Read 26156 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
 Nintendo Free Radio Forumcast Episode 1: Even More Games Than An E3 Press Conference
By Stephen Shook, Ryan Clay, Austen Parken, Donald Theriault
RFN is not available this week. We apologize for the inconvenience.
MP3 Download
AAC (Enhanced) Download
Feeds: Try refreshing.

With the regular RFN crew scattered to the winds, four members of the Nintendo World Report forums - Stephen "Ceric" Shook, Austen "broodwars" Parkin, Donald "Shaymin" Theriault and Ryan "racht" Clay decided to step up and attempt to fill the large shoes left. Although it's hard to match the regular crew's chemistry, the replacements brought 24 games, or one more than Nintendo themselves had at E3!

An absolutely massive New Business segment sees Stephen lead off with Mass Effect 3 post-Extended Cut impressions (may contain spoilers, ends at 27:16), and follows up with the first World of Warcraft discussion to not meet the editor's axe in a long time focusing on the new "PokeWoW" pet battles. After a TheatRhythm Thief doubleheader and Skylanders, Donald jumps in with impressions of Pokemon Black and White 2 straight from Japan, warns people about Final Fantasy II (PSP) and outlines his training techniques...  for JEOPARDY. Yes, the game show. (You can download his tracking spreadsheet from Google Docs.)

Ryan picks up the RPG torch with Xenoblade Chronicles and scares everyone but Austen with his play clock before moving to Limbo on Steam and the joys of playing Kid Icarus Uprising when you're left-handed. Despite not being a wizard, Ryan also brings discussion of downloadable 3DS pinball both classic in Kirby's Pinball Land, and new in Marvel Pinball. Austen wraps with a run of DS adventures, rattling off Ace Attorney Investigations, 999 and Ghost Trick before talking more about Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals than anyone in the history of the internet and a couple of independent PSN games in Dyad and Quantum Conumdrum.

After the break, we asked ourselves to come up with one game we're each excited for in the 2nd half of 2012, and the selections may will surprise you. To finish, the group tackles the question of hatred toward accessibility in games  and why the majority of players being able to see the content of a game is suddenly a scary thing.

The regular crew will be back next week, but we'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode as we get closer to the big episode 300 - don't be afraid to drop a comment in the Talkback thread or anywhere else fine podcasts are discussed. Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well and keep playing and discussing Wario Land 4 in the Retroactive thread.

This podcast was edited by Ryan Clay. Music for this episode was provided by Jason Ricci & New Blood, and additional music is copyright Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:25:07 PM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »
Hip hip, hooray! RFN all day, er'day! :D
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »
Wow, this sounds like a cool idea.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
Isn't basically every non-NWR gaming podcast already Nintendo-Free Radio?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Isn't basically every non-NWR gaming podcast already Nintendo-Free Radio?
Sure. But all of those other guys don't share the love that we have as NWR - RFN/Connectivity fans.

Just wait and see. Hopefully we won't disappoint!

Plus, we named it this literally as a spin on the RFN name - we like to think this podcast is an extension (from the fans/forum-goers) of Radio Free Nintendo. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:31:02 AM by Racht »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
This is looking like it's going to be a lot of fun to do, and maybe if it turns out well it can be something we do more regularly.  I think people may be surprised at the amount of talk about games on Nintendo platforms it looks like we're going to do, especially from me.  At the very least, I hope we turn out a better show this week than Giant Bomb just did on theirs.  Frickin' 70 minutes into the podcast before they actually started to talk about video games... ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:39:54 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
If you guys get this put together I'll promote it for you on the NWR Facebook/Twitter and on the front page, so hopefully you'll get a big audience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »
We need a brit to fill in for Greg. And a Canadian. And James Earl? Jones.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Submit non video game topics?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Submit non video game topics?

You can, but if it's about Colorado I'm already considering something before the main show about that.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Shaymin's Canadian, I believe.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
Huh, sounds like something I would have been interested in doing. Oh well, maybe in the future. I will probably listen to it (especially if NWR uploads it to the RFN iTunes slot).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
I suppose I could pull off a British accent...
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

Please don't...there are very few things worse in this world than a bad fake British accent... :D

Also, I'm making a last call here for any potential topics anyone would be interested in hearing 4 random people you don't know talk about!  The group plans on recording this evening to align themselves with RFN's normal release schedule.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:13:20 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
4 random people you don't know talk about!
I'm Hurt.  Has all these Years meant nothing to You?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
4 random people you don't know talk about!
I'm Hurt.  Has all these Years meant nothing to You?

Wow...you're right.  I've been a forum poster for almost 2 years now...it hasnt seemed nearly that long.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »

Confirmed. In fact, I just ordered a poutine.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »

Confirmed. In fact, I just ordered a poutine.
I will be picking up the making of a Poutine on the way home just for this.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

Please don't...there are very few things worse in this world than a bad fake British accent... :D
Hah. No worries. I wouldn't want to disgrace all of those fine British folks. I enjoy their television programming too much. ;)
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
Nintendo Free Radio Forumcast Episode 1: Even More Games Than An E3 Press Conference
By Stephen Shook, Ryan Clay, Austen Parken, Donald Theriault
RFN is not available this week. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Download mp3
Download AAC
Feeds: lol?

With the regular RFN crew scattered to the winds, four members of the Nintendo World Report forums - Stephen "Ceric" Shook, Austen "broodwars" Parkin, Donald "Shaymin" Theriault and Ryan "racht" Clay decided to step up and attempt to fill the large shoes left. Although it's hard to match the regular crew's chemistry, the replacements brought 24 games, or one more than Nintendo themselves had at E3!

An absolutely massive New Business segment sees Stephen lead off with Mass Effect 3 post-Extended Cut impressions (may contain spoilers, ends at 27:16), and follows up with the first World of Warcraft discussion to not meet the editor's axe in a long time focusing on the new "PokeWoW" pet battles. After a TheatRhythm Thief doubleheader and Skylanders, Donald jumps in with impressions of Pokemon Black and White 2 straight from Japan, warns people about Final Fantasy II (PSP) and outlines his training techniques...  for JEOPARDY. Yes, the game show. (You can download his tracking spreadsheet from Google Docs.)

Ryan picks up the RPG torch with Xenoblade Chronicles and scares everyone but Austen with his play clock before moving to Limbo on Steam and the joys of playing Kid Icarus Uprising when you're left-handed. Despite not being a wizard, Ryan also brings discussion of downloadable 3DS pinball both classic in Kirby's Pinball Land, and new in Marvel Pinball. Austen wraps with a run of DS adventures, rattling off Ace Attorney Investigations, 999 and Ghost Trick before talking more about Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals than anyone in the history of the internet and a couple of independent PSN games in Dyad and Quantum Conumdrum.

After the break, we asked ourselves to come up with one game we're each excited for in the 2nd half of 2012, and the selections may will surprise you. To finish, the group tackles the question of hatred toward accessibility in games  and why the majority of players being able to see the content of a game is suddenly a scary thing.

The regular crew will be back next week, but we'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode as we get closer to the big episode 300 - don't be afraid to drop a comment in the Talkback thread or anywhere else fine podcasts are discussed. Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well and keep playing and discussing Wario Land 4 in the Retroactive thread.

This podcast was edited by Ryan Clay. Music for this episode was provided by Jason Ricci & New Blood, and additional music is copyright Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:20:11 AM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
**Added to the OP**

Very cool, guys.  Look forward to listening to this at work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:24:09 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Oh, wow. This is 3 hours long. That's just a little bit too much for me hahaha.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

Yeah, we know the show's rather lengthy.  The sad thing is, that was after we gutted most of the 2nd segment due to how long New Business was going on.   :P: :   If we ever do another show, we're going to try to get the length down.  But hey, at least that's 3 hours of actual game conversation, rather than something like Giant Bombcast's 2.5 hours of random B.S. + 15 minutes of game conversation last week (no, I'm not going to let that go).   ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:07:11 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
 (no, I'm not going to let that go).   ;)
My Response

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

For what it's worth, the podcast is split nicely into several chapters by what game they're discussing, so if they talk about a game you're uninterested in, you could skip that chapter.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »

For what it's worth, the podcast is split nicely into several chapters by what game they're discussing, so if they talk about a game you're uninterested in, you could skip that chapter.

Fine. *downloads aac version instead*

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
Considering this is the first podcast you've all done together, this is pretty good. It might need a bit of the judicious Leahy-style editing to hack away a few pieces of the overly long New Business, but kudos to you four for putting this together in a week (from a joke comment, no less.)

Good luck with any future episodes. And if you're looking for a British voice, I'm free to spout nonsense help out.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
kudos to you four for putting this together in a week (from a joke comment, no less.)

Wow, I just realized how prophetic my original quote on the idea of doing this podcast was...

Be careful what you wish for.  We'd probably just troll you by doing a 3 hour podcast about things we like about Nintendo.  :P:

*looks at 3 hour, 3 minute podcast that resulted*

Well...yeah.   :P: :

Thanks for the feedback and support, Killer_Man_Jaro.  Yeah, we have some adjustments to make if we do another episode, trimming down at least the number of games in New Business being at the top of the list.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:37:28 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
Man this is a lot like RFN.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »
Man this is a lot like RFN.
Thank You.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
This is a really good show -- hard to believe it's your first time doing it. I'm trying to get a slightly revamped version of the files from Ryan. For what purpose...?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »
If I had access to a USB headset and a SKYPE account I might request to appear on this show as a guest so that the forums can hear my voice and can debate some issues with some of the people I interact with the forum.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
This is a really good show -- hard to believe it's your first time doing it. I'm trying to get a slightly revamped version of the files from Ryan. For what purpose...?
You know what I had a big long thing but I'm just going to say thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:09:22 PM by Ceric »

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
Thank you for the inspiration Jonny.

And for those who noticed the audio channel issues, we've got them fixed now:
Download mp3
Download AAC
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »
It's too late tonight, but I have something in mind.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »
It was an interesting listen. I hope you will cycle in other regular forum goers when possible. I might not bring a British accent, how about a Kiwi one?

Also great work on properly chaptering the Podcast something even RFN doesn't quite do properly especially connectivity where chaptering is an after thought. The audio channel issue was pretty serious, good on you for getting the fix out.

It's a bit unfortunate with the nature of Podcasts that it's really hard to come back to it and discuss because your not actually part of the conversation, which means it's much harder to outright remember what was discussed. I also skipped chunks in the middle for spoiler reasons.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
Also great work on properly chaptering the Podcast something even RFN doesn't quite do properly especially connectivity where chaptering is an after thought.

What are you talking about? RFN does a great job at it, and Connectivity especially does (each segment has its own chapter). The only issue is that chapters don't have their own names, but that is Apple's fault since a iOS update earlier this year screwed that up for podcasts and they still havent fixed it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
The shadowcast is better compartmentalised and have more aggressive chaptering. RFN chaptering bleed into each other a lot. The connectively news bites are tend to be completely unchaptered while the connectivity itself is very loosely chaptered.

I also wasn't talking about the names of the chapters, I use an iPod classic for this so I see the chapters and I wasn't aware there even was an issue with the chapter names on iOS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
There, that should help people find it. I updated the OP links, too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
This was good listening. I don't mind the three hour length at all. I liked how long some of the discussions went.

I love that games are getting, in general, less complex. I don't mind a game being hard as long as it's never cheap. I don't like being shot from off screen, I don't like when my AI partners stand in acid or do other things to kill themselves, I don't like hidden death traps. None of that stuff is fun. I like when games take a lot of skill and you can get better at them. I also don't mind when games offer optional cheats for you (like 3D land's super gold leaf). If someone wants to beat a game and can't, there's no reason to not help them out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
None of the examples you have mentioned have anything to do with complexity and more to do with fake difficulty. They are example of general poor game design and incompetence.

I don't mind streamlining a game, for example RE4 Wii Edition has a auto tracking quick knife to quickly breakup boxes and whaling on downed Grandos that the original didn't have. A bad reduction in complexity can be found in Resident Evil Revelation where they reduced and simplified the damage response from the Zoidbergs which meant they were reduced to being bullet sponges.

Arbitrary reduction in complexity is not the answer to increasing accessibility. Increasing accessibility is the answer to increasing accessibility. Layer the gameplay elements better so that a novice player can can understand the full set once it's available instead of info dumping and relying on prior knowledge. Less "Arty", more functional HUDs.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
I should have mentioned stuff like going to the briefcase to throw a grenade in RE4, the QB vision cone in madden, 80% of the car tuning stuff in the simmy Need For Speed games. Most of the complex stuff is bad just a matter of bad UI, other stuff (like RPGs giving you stat points in a bunch of categories) are just hold overs from pen and paper stuff, and some things are feature creep.
Mass Effect 2 over corrected from the first game in terms of item management, but it did make the game a lot easier to get into. There was never a moment where I had to sit around converting things to omni gel for ten minutes. Mass Effect 1 was busted. It had just a little too much going on.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
Mass Effect 2 over corrected from the first game in terms of item management, but it did make the game a lot easier to get into. There was never a moment where I had to sit around converting things to omni gel for ten minutes. Mass Effect 1 was busted. It had just a little too much going on.
Agree.  ME2 really over corrected.  That's one of the big reasons I think taking the 3 Enhancements and redoing the other 2 weapon wise would be a good fit.  I take that hacking from from 2 if I had to choice one style.  If not I bring in all three types in and spread that throughout the game.  I would allow Modification of weapons on the fly as well.  Heavy weapons be cool to have again but, wouldn't really work in this scenario.  I would like the ME1 enemy philosophy back though.  I am not overly fond of constantly fighting waves and waves of enemy that just appear.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
What I found funny listening was that I heard Demons Souls being an example of a difficult game when the accessibility topic was being discussed.  I sincerely think that game for the most part is very fair in regards to the difficulty.  You cannot go bursting through the level like Kratos or Cole McGrath thinking you can steamroll everything.  You have to strategically plan each encounter with even the most basic mobs, because you'll have your **** wrecked if you don't time your attacks/blocks or try to take on too many enemies at once.

When I think of unfair gameplay, I think of something like the original Ghost n Goblins, or so many of the NES games that were ports of arcade games, meant to be artificially and unfairly difficult for the sake of wringing kids out of their quarters. 

I definitely think right now is a fantastic time to be a gamer.  There's such a wide variety of game types in terms of genres, difficulty, and length when you consider the range of AAA titles all the way down to the smallest of indie games.  Any person who is curious enough to look for it can find their niche.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
Ooh, editor replacements in training!

I can't wait to listen to this! I'm having a pretty hectic vacation that's keeping me away from listening/recording podcasts, but this sounds promising.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

I can't wait to listen to this! I'm having a pretty hectic vacation that's keeping me away from listening/recording podcasts, but this sounds promising.

It doesn't just Promise.  It delivers.

Hope the vacation gets settled.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »
It's funny, I've always wanted to be a part of a podcast done by community members and when I saw this one pop up on my RFN iTunes sub, I almost fell over! You guys did a great job, especially for your first time, and the editing was decent for a first go around. 

I, too, hope you guys cycle in other community members as you go along as much as you can (of course I am itching to join you if ever the chance was offered!).  You don't know how often I wanted to jump in to make a comment or add to the discussion while I listened.  Great stuff :cool;
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
Man, the more I look towards the upcoming release of Persona 4 Arena, the more I have to kick myself for forgetting to bring up how inaccessible fighting games still are in modern gaming (with the lone exception of the Smash Bros. series.  :-\

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »
Oh, don't even think about it. :P: I have mad respect for you and Mr. Leahy for editing RFN continuously like you do. There's no way in the world I can do that, as I have way too many things going on all at once outside of the forums - friend get-togethers, bball on Sunday nights, closing shift at work two nights a week...and working every other weekend, and finding time to play games (the most important aspect), etc etc..! It takes mad skills and time management to do it all as well as you two guys have done it. Much appreciation, Gui. Seriously.

But I do hope you enjoy the episode! We had fun making it (even though editing was painstakingly tiring!), and I hope everyone else enjoys our views/thoughts on the games discussed in this episode.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »
I strongly disagree with the idea of trophies/achievements being an indicator about how skilled you are. Though there are many games where the achievements are hard to get (e.g. Bayonetta, where you need to beat the game on higher difficulties to get trophies), there are also many games out there where it's a walk in the park to get a platinum trophy – and yes, people buy these games because they want to brag with how many trophies/achievements they have despite those being recieved through simply playing a game like Megamind. Then there are games where you can get about 80-90% by simply playing through the game normally and the rest just means taking your time to level up or doing something blatantly stupid like the 9000 meter fall in Portal.

Rewards for being highly skilled at a game should be things that can really give you an advantage in the game. Better weapons, special skills – you name it. But NOT something that people can or will use as an e-penis.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
Pretty good overall, especially for a first attempt. The one thing that bothered me though was that the group all seemed to have the same opinions on things. When somebody said something, it was usually met with a resounding "Yeah." Basically what that amounts to is a lot of monologuing. In one instance, there was a disagreement about 999, but nobody offered a counterargument so it just kind of fizzled out.

Don't wanna be too harsh though. I'm sure it would be just as difficult for me if I were in that position. Speaking of which, I've always wanted to do a video game podcast. If you're gonna switch up the cast, I'd love the opportunity to give it a shot. I am a younger guy, so I might be able to bring a different take on things, for what that's worth. :P

But regardless, good job. I'll keep a lookout for any future episodes.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »
Pretty good overall, especially for a first attempt. The one thing that bothered me though was that the group all seemed to have the same opinions on things. When somebody said something, it was usually met with a resounding "Yeah." Basically what that amounts to is a lot of monologuing. In one instance, there was a disagreement about 999, but nobody offered a counterargument so it just kind of fizzled out.

Yeah, listening to the podcast, I had the same issue.  And, honestly, I think we're all aware of what the main problem probably was: we were seriously intimidated by the clock as the show went on.  We had a lot of games to cover, and it seemed like we were taking too long to cover them, so I know I at least cut back on a lot of the "chiming in" I would otherwise do on the other panelists' games.  We're already making corrections in the planning stages for Episode 2 a few weeks from now that should allow us to have a much more natural and hopefully more lively flow.

Don't wanna be too harsh though. I'm sure it would be just as difficult for me if I were in that position. Speaking of which, I've always wanted to do a video game podcast. If you're gonna switch up the cast, I'd love the opportunity to give it a shot. I am a younger guy, so I might be able to bring a different take on things, for what that's worth. :P: : :

Well, we're considering doing a sort of "forumer spotlight" where we bring on other folks from the forum every once in a while (we're still working that out) to guest on the podcast.  Right now, a lot about the podcast is still up in the air, so I think we're first going to try to establish a natural flow between ourselves before we risk disrupting it a bit with a new voice.

but regardless, good job. I'll keep a lookout for any future episodes.

Thanks.  I look forward to your feedback in the future.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:06:38 PM by broodwars »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »
Talking about sticks and fightgames and stuff without me? Sacrilege

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
Most impressive show, guys! And my thanks for stepping up, especially on such short notice. Color me especially impressed by your dedication.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
Talking about sticks and fightgames and stuff without me? Sacrilege
You know Ironically, I mentioned you in the Pre-show and post show on that topic.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Yeah invite me next time if you happen to record at some time that isn't totally incompatible with Japan time

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
Forgive me, I've skipped a few games in New Business, like Pokémon or WoW, haha.

Just finished the New Business segment. I like the points being made about Pheonix Wright, especially the pacing problem. The last case in each game just drags on for no reason, you're just picking nits for the longest time, the whole game loses steam and that shouldn't happen. Just one more reason Ghost Trick is the superior game (though don't get me wrong, I LOVE Phoenix Wright... ooh, and I'm seeing the movie in theater this Thursday  ;D ).

Oh, and I really dig the (what I assume are) cow sounds in the background. I really do!

Offline ZabeMusic

• View Profile
    • Stephen's Fantastic Blog of Thoughts
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
This was good. I went into this thinking it was going to be a shambles but it surprised how much it was like RFN. Great job, you guys. If I ever get a good mic maybe I'll join you someday.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »
Oh, and I really dig the (what I assume are) cow sounds in the background. I really do!
Hahaha. I tried SO very hard to remove those noises... and I believe they were coming from Austen's (broodwars) audio track. I was able to get quite a few of them, but the Earthworm Jim co-stars just wouldn't keep quiet! :P
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
Hahaha. I tried SO very hard to remove those noises... and I believe they were coming from Austen's (broodwars) audio track. I was able to get quite a few of them, but the Earthworm Jim co-stars just wouldn't keep quiet! :P:

My guess is that it was the slight creaks of my water bed as I was shifting on it to talk into my laptop.  I need to get a proper headset at some point (my PS3 Bluetooth one didn't have strong enough reception), but I'll see what I can do to minimize noise if it was, in fact, my track.

Offline MukiDA

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 03:40:46 AM »
As someone with a 3-day, 36 hour work shift, I really appreciate that you guys had a free 3 hour podcast for us =3